• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event R(h)ate the Direct (June 2023 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,628297362110312 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

Rate the Direct

• 1 stars

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 39 9.4%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 119 28.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 177 42.4%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 72 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guaraná

Paratroopa
The poll will be closed after 24 hours because I don't want rational votes, I want people to vote with passion. As always, your vote is secret, so no one can judge your poor choice.

Current since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking:
  1. Feb 2022 Direct - 4,26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  2. Feb 2023 Direct - 4,00 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  3. June 2022 Direct - 3,60 stars⭐⭐⭐
  4. Sep 2022 Direct - 3,44 stars⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
I'd say it's a 4, but it feels worse to me because I'm tired of Metroid Prime not being acknowledged whatsoever. Still will vote a 4 because Mario stuff was fantastic, that game from Sonic Mania team looked interesting and a couple of other things were intriguing.
Demo of Pikmin is great for me because I'm on the fence about it (purely because games have gotten so expensive here)

I'm going with five. There were other things (Smooth Moves -esque WarioWare! Pikmin re-releases!), but the 2D Mario trailer really made it for me.

2/5. Not personally a Mario guy, but RPG remake looked pretty solid, and I'm considering picking it up. A second WarioWare game on Switch is something I never expected to see, and I'm interested in playing it at some point.

The rest was whatever, but I'm not too bothered. There's always next time for Metroid Prime 4! The process works in mysterious ways.

3/5.

There were a lot of games that sound cool on paper but aren't doing much for me in motion. I'm pretty over what seems to be the common graphic design elements for Mario and Pokemon.

BUT Detective Pikachu 2 and Mario Wonder both still look like they could potentially be awesome.

Also, I'm disappointed that there were no NSO updates. I know we're getting Fire Emblem on GBA later this week, but I was kind of hoping they would dump a bunch of those previously announced N64 games.

Torn between a 3 and a 4. I guess 4 relative to those other Direct ratings.

Never played Super Mario RPG or Dark Moon so those to me are essentially new game announcements, I'm pretty intrigued by the Peach game, and Wonder will be the first 2D Mario I'll play since the original New Super Mario Bros.

Opener was pretty weak though, the lack of Metroid is starting to get worrying, and teeing up what looked like a TotK DLC announcement only to just show Amiibo was disappointing.

Last edited:
Talent won!!!

I was frankly overwhelmed!! Switch will outsell PS2 and Switch 2 will not launch before fall 2024.

Pikmin 4 continues to look great!
1+2 available now!
MGS Trilogy!
The indie 3D platformer that blows Sonic out of the water!!
Arkham Knight? How?
More Wario Ware!!
Mario RPG Remake!
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD!
Super Princess Peach 2!
Mario Bros. Wonder!
Star Ocean looks beautiful! The evolution of HD2D I always wanted!
More HotWheels Unleashed!
Too many games!!
Stop it Nintendo!

Many hardhitters for me! 4/5 without a doubt. Mario galore, Sonic, Persona, Dragon Quest Monsters coming early, Warioware, Pikmin 4 and some good looking RPGs as well. I am happy 😁

I think if those leaks about Persona and Mario RPG weren't out people would have more surprises maybe but if I purely look at the variety of games and the sheer amount of cannon fire this Direct gave I believe it is definitely one of the better ones.

I mean, what year of Switch are we in? My expectations were rock bottom really but I was really surprised.

Last edited:
Reposting my comment from the other thread:

It's weird, I see it wasn't great, and I get that some people might have hated it, buuuut...

I wanted MGS, I got it. I wanted Batman Arkham, I got it. I wanted a new 2d Mario, I got it... plus nice little surprises like Super Mario RPG remake, Pikmin 1 and 2, Detective Pikachu 2 finally showing itself, Luigi's Mansion 2 remastered. I guess I liked it!

Apropos of nothing: is this the first Switch Direct with no Bandai Namco presence at all?

I thought this was fairly middling. Aside from Super Mario Bros. Wonder (which looks great!) and the Pikmin 1 remaster (which won't release at retail until September!) there really weren't any super appealing new announcements to me. I am keeping an open mind as far as Super Mario RPG is concerned, though I am not very attached to the original. Maybe that Penny game by the Sonic Mania devs. Everything else I have either already played and don't intend to revisit on Switch or I am not interested in. I'd probably rate it a 6/10 but I voted 2 stars here.

2/5
Almost all the third party games apart from Penny's Big break or whatever it was called looked pretty boring to me and the 1st party stuff, specifically Mario will be fun but man I really don't like how they look. SMRPG looks like a downgrade visually to the original and Mario Wonder just looks odd. Mario Wonder also looks more similar to the NSMBU games than I was expecting gameplay wise, I thought they'd go a bit crazier and more out there with it.

Four stars for me, but only because Pikmin 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorites. Other highlights were no Diddy Kong in Mario kart, Wario, Mario RPG, and the new Mario looking good. Can't wait to see what's in store for the switch in 2024.

2 for me as well. I don't care for Pikmin or 2D Mario, and the Direct had little else to offer aside from those. Mario RPG is exciting though, gotta love new Zelda amiibos, and I guess the Peach game might be good maybe. I dunno, they didn't say anything about it.

Initially wanted to give it two stars, but then I remembered MGS Master Collection got a release date, so I gave it a generous three stars.

Mario/10

A good chunk of Pikmin was great, and having 1+2 coming to Switch was a wonderful cherry on top.

Outside of that, Super Mario RPG and Detective Pikachu Returns looks like they'll be my kind of thing. The new WarioWare game feels more like the Wii version so is instantly a bit more interesting for me (there's something about motion controls and party settings that just works) and I'm intrigued as to what the Princess Peach game will turn out like - hopefully better than the DS attempt. Plus the NGS collection coming to Switch was nice to see.

So quite a bit of stuff for me, happy overall - solid 4 stars.

3/5 for me. Honestly for me it was the weakest Main Direct since the Switch. A lot of solid looking games but none that i would buy 100% on Day one for fullprice.

I guess what i was mostly missing was a JRPG or Tactical Game surprise that really gets me.

What i liked was Pikmin 4 (looked even better than expected) and Mario RPG. But with both games im very unsure if i would really buy them. Pikmin 1 and 2 Shadowdrop is a great surprise (but im curious what they will cost).

Mario Bros Wonders just wasnt enough for me. At least from what they showed. It just looked like well Mario Bros. Which is cool and there were some fun ideas but to hype me up it would really have to me something extremly new that changes 2d Mario in a big way.

My expectations were met because I'm not expecting the moon and stars at the end of this console's life. Yes, I'm excited for Pikmin 1 and 2 being ported along with Pikmin 4. If you had taste, you would be too(this is me joking. Luigi's Mansion 2 being remastered or whatever is fine. I didn't care for it and it didn't look great graphically.

Excited for a Peach game and is exactly the kind of weird game I'd expect from Nintendo at the end of a console's life. And then Super Mario Wonder just looked beautiful and fun. Square is popping off too.

Surprised Side Order wasn't shown off. Maybe a shadow drop after September's direct? Weird omission and September is quiet if I'm recalling accurately. Either way it was a good direct for a console this old. However, I can easily see how people can be a little underwhelmed outside of 1 or 2 announcements. I went 4 stars but if there was a 3.5 option I'd pick that instead.

I gave it 4.5 and rounded it up since I was pretty happy with it. Remove Pokémon DLC and start with MP4 and it’d have been perfect.

2.5 but I'll round up to 3. Pikmin 1+2 (though I hope it gets a physical), SMRPG, and 2D Mario are all awesome. WarioWare is eh and looks like a massive middle finger to the disabled. I can absolutely see why they bounced out of E3 now, if they showed this there it would've gotten absolutely fucking reamed. They were so desperate to fill in slots for the Direct that they pulled in what is blatantly a Switch 2 title (given how dodgy they were when talking about it). I'm also really confused why they actively stuffed H1 when their H2 is three 1st parties and then a deluge of ports, remakes, and DLC. Also Nintendo has to actively prove to me now that MP4 didn't re-enter development hell

4/5

Mario RPG / Mario Wonder were the big surprises along with the Sonic Mania Team's new game. Even the Star Ocean 2 remake looked surprisingly great. I'm curious how the Switch will handle Arkham Knight.

Nothing much for me. I'll get mario rpg if its physical. I'll get mario 2d on a sale down the line and maybe dq monsters and that's it. Underwhelming direct.

3.5 so a 7/10. Very solid, lots of games coming out soon but also a lot of remakes and smaller games, which are very good. I just think it is clear that Nintendo is transitioning to their next console so 3D mario, next mario kart etc are clearly being saved for the next system, and that is a good thing

I'm not a Pikmin, Pokémon or Mario fan, so I skipped a whole lot of the presentation.

I'll probably pick up Mario RPG because I enjoyed it back then and it will be a good present for the kids. I'm pretty excited to play classic WarioWare on the Switch even though I'm once again a bit bummed by the absence of a Rhythm Paradise game. I never played any Metal Gear Solid game so I'm pretty interested in the MGC Collection.

Except from that, it's a meh for me. Nintendo still not acknowledging Metroid Prime 4 makes it pretty obvious that it's a cross-gen title that we won't see until the next platform is announced.

And zero mention of Everybody 1-2 Switch is hilarious.

Come to think of it, this might be the first Switch era Direct featuring zero first party games I want to buy. Oh, well, backlog's big enough already anyway.

It was almost a bad Direct, but it was carried by some absolutely insane trailers and reveals. Detective Pikachu Returns, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Remastered, Pikmin 4, Pikmin 1/2 shadowdropped, Batman Arkham Trilogy, MK8D Booster Course Pass Wave 5, and freaking Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Bros Wonder.

4/5

5 stars from me, it was brilliant and was packed with games that I want. I’m super happy they are bringing lots of old games to Switch (Pikmin 1/2, Luigi’s Mansion 2) and the new stuff looked brilliant.

I buy third party games on Switcj where I can as well so Batman, MGS and Vampire Survivors were all big gets for me.

I would say a soli 3.5/5. first party output looked really cool, the fact that they are delivering a strong array of titles in less than 5 months is really impressive. But on the other side, besides Sonic I think the third party output was pretty lackluster. September Direct will be better on this isse, with any luck.

There’s a solid 6 or 7 games I’m gonna buy and am excited to play, but it was so weirdly paced. The Peach game, Pikmin shadowdrop, both highlights for me yet basically thrown away while some free to play bullshit gets prime spot? A full spot for their contests and a Splatfest in the middle of the 3rd party contract obligation section. Yet so much I’m excited for, and made me almost giddy for Pikmin 4 as a casual fan.

Four star content in a three star show.

3 stars for me! Not that great, but could be worse. Still digesting the new info though lol

I'd say it's a 4, but it feels worse to me because I'm tired of Metroid Prime not being acknowledged whatsoever. Still will vote a 4 because Mario stuff was fantastic, that game from Sonic Mania team looked interesting and a couple of other things were intriguing.
Demo of Pikmin is great for me because I'm on the fence about it (purely because games have gotten so expensive here)
I think Metroid prime 4 is being saved for new hardware atp. I’m thinking it’s gonna be a cross gen title.

As someone who doesn't care about Mario, this was a 2 for me. With that said, Mario RPG is a good announcement and Super Mario Wonder looks neat all things considered.

I... think I'm going to give it a 5 (without MP4 even). It's a weird one, but other than MP and DK, I had zero hype left for any Nintendo releases on the switch. For an end-of-gen direct, I loved some of the weird stuff they put out there, I enjoyed seeing Mario RPG Remake, the new 2D Mario looks fantastic, MGS is finally releasing on the switch (and this Vol.1 makes me dream of maybe getting MGS 4 or 5 at some point), friggin Vampire Survivors and a game from the Sonic Mania Team ... Coming from my expectations, I came out really satisfied.

Had this Direct released in 2021, I would've probably died a little inside. For now, it just looks like a last hurrah for the switch and I'm really 100% fine with that.

It's funny that I see absolutely nobody mention Dragon Quest Monsters, is that such an obscure game? For me it was one of the highlights personally

Talent won!!!

I was frankly overwhelmed!! Switch will outsell PS2 and Switch 2 will not launch before fall 2024.

Pikmin 4 continues to look great!
1+2 available now!
MGS Trilogy!
The indie 3D platformer that blows Sonic out of the water!!
Arkham Knight? How?
More Wario Ware!!
Mario RPG Remake!
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD!
Super Princess Peach 2!
Mario Bros. Wonder!
Star Ocean looks beautiful! The evolution of HD2D I always wanted!
More HotWheels Unleashed!
Too many games!!
Stop it Nintendo

Oh man you said it so well efyu_lemonardo! We've been posting across these forums together for like a decade at this point? I discovered the original forum in late July 2013 when I wanted to learn more about whether I might be interested in a game like Pikmin 3 as part of my resurgent gaming interests. And then now it's 10 years later, Pikmin 4 is coming out, and as a fan particularly of Nintendo's colorful series this was the best Direct for me in forever!

• I would love to replay LM2, I remember it pretty well but it's one of my faves and I'm excited to play it with my spouse on the big screen (they also played and loved it on 3DS). Great that it's coming next year because there are too many games to play in the meantime, LOL!
  • Pikmin 1 and 2 are still pretty fresh in my mind but I love that there will be an HD option to replay them one day.
  • Penny's Big Breakaway looked awesome and not at all lightning-fast (I can't get into the speed of the Sonic games so this is a big plus for me).
  • I'm intrigued and curious what the Princess Peach game will be.
  • I'm on media blackout for Pikmin 4 so I tried to see/watch as little as possible and the tiny glimpses I got by accident sounded incredible.
  • I love Mario RPGs and we've been meaning to play SMRPG for ages on our SNES Classic so this looks even better. From what I remember many of the creators went on to make the M&L (and maybe PM?) games so I'm psyched to see this remake.
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks mind-blowingly creative and fun, if we can't have a Kotabe-style Mario this is the next best thing for sure and the gameplay itself looks unsurprisingly excellent!
No sign of DK makes me hope it's H1 2024 with 3D Mario H2 2024. With so many fun and colorful adventures on display today I am glad to wait for those, no complaints here at all. Just elation. When they showed so many Mario games up front I was really starting to wonder if we'd see the rumored 2D platformer and started to think maybe we wouldn't. So I am just over the moon over that.

BTW, people are in for such a treat with Pikmin 1+2 and LM2. The latter two games are super under-appreciated.

Mario Direct.

Five Stars.

Half a dozen Mario related reveals (a mix of DLC, remakes, and new games). Mario RPG remake! A New Peach game! WarioWare so soon after Get it Together! Mario Wonder looks amazing! And then we had some fantastic additions. Pikmin 4 looks great and I'm glad for the HD ports of 1 and 2. Pokémon DLC was here. I already am excited for Sonic Superstars, but finally seeing Evening Star's project, Penny's Big Breakaway, was a delight. The MGS ports are portable, neat! DQM, neat again!

It's not actually a perfect Direct, but it was one that felt tailor-made for me, and that is enough for me.

What was most awesome about this Direct was how surprising it was. With such an empty calendar and almost zero concrete leaks, it was just fun to see what was next. Yes, a lot of already released games, but some were still a "surprise" per se, like Dark Moon and Pikmin 1/2 HD.

The games themselves, though: Pikmin 4 really shined here. I knew it was gonna be awesome, but this was a GREAT showing. Star Ocean 2 looks like something I'll pick up, too. Then there was stuff that wasn't for me that I still was happy for others for, like the Mario RPG remake.

The rest, though, was quite middle-of-the-road for me. And I felt a tinge of disappointment over the lack of Prime 4 and Zelda DLC. Maybe my own fault for setting myself up, but hey, tinges are parts of the Direct experience.

I think Wonder really have the potential to be a sleeper hit. I can already hear people typing that "ugh, the New aesthetic", but it had some really good ideas going for it. The situation reminds me of 3D World: "ugh, a new version of 3D Land" and that game turned out to be phenomenal. Maybe Wonder will do the same for the 2D branch.

3/5 for me.

I went with 3/5. I am a huge fan of Mario so that really boosted the direct for me. That said, if you were hoping for the rumored F-Zero remake or Metroid news, thne there is definitely disappointed. Nintendo leaned heavily into the Mario universe this time and it showed.

Also, it felt like Nintendo was a little too coy with the Peach game and Luigi's Mansion 2 announcements.

Rounding up to 3/5 for the poll and pasting my post:

Big positives:

• Pikmin 4 continues to look fantastic
  • Having the complete Pikmin series on Switch as of next month is a surprise, but a welcome one to be sure
  • Super Mario Wonder looking like Weird Mario rearing its head in the 2D series for the first time since the GameBoy
  • Super Mario RPG remake being real, being this year, looks like it does a good job of translating the original visual style into 3D graphics
Small positives:
  • new WarioWare is a surprise, even if I'm a little worried about the amount of content
  • Takahashi & Koizumi doing a post-WarioWare bit was a delight
  • Princess Peach getting her own game plus the brief snippet of it looking interesting
  • new 2D Sonic plus new 2D Mario later this year is kinda fun
Big negatives:
  • third party selection quite weak to my tastes. First time for a long time there haven't been any third party announcements that appealed to me. A big downer for me that, Square Enix collaborating on Mario RPG aside, there was nothing to look forward to on that front.
  • pacing and placing of announcements felt bizarre. Opening with Pokemon DLC with zero dates, splicing the Super Mario announcements all over the place, taking time to advertise tournaments in a Direct, discussing the next SplatFest but not the Side Order DLC. Nintendo did a good job of making things on Switch look thinner than they actually are.
  • Over-reliance on Super Mario and to a lesser extent Pokemon. Delighted with some of the Mario stuff - especially Wonder, RPG, Princess Peach, Kart 8 content, but Switch's big strength in recent years has been the variety of franchises Nintendo bring out. First half of 2023 nailed that again; second half of 2023 not managing it right now with 2 Pokemon expansions, a Pokemon spin-off, and two Super Mario titles in the holiday season.
  • 2024 teases felt unnecessary and like an excuse to highlight Mario content following the success of the movie.
  • August and September are devoid of first party content but probably have a shadow drop or some DLC (like Side Order) slotting in; would prefer to see that to get a better sense of the year as a whole. Would've been good to see something unexpected or high profile from a third-party plug that gap.
  • continued lack of brand new properties from first-party teams is disappointing. Nintendo have dropped off on that front from 2019 onwards.
Small negatives:
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 being available today, and the whole mainline series being made available on Switch, has made me think yet again about how inconsistent Nintendo's approach to their back catalogue is. I hope it'll be less of a problem in future because I expect our software libraries to carry over through Nintendo Accounts, and I expect the sub catalogue to remain available and be on their next system. The fact we didn't see if they'd had any work done beyond upscaling also serves as a reminder of how inconsistently Nintendo treat their back catalogue.
  • Not the fault of the Direct, but the timing and spread of Nintendo's releases this year is odd and is reminiscient of the times they genuinely did struggle to manage the software pipeline. After Pikmin 4, there's nearly a 3 month gap between games, before four Nintendo titles launch in the space of six weeks.
Summary:
While I've listed more positives than negatives, the negative points weigh pretty heavily for me. The third party selection especially was weak for my tastes, and the reliance on Super Mario to carry the holiday season was something I expected but the heavy emphasis on the series today was disappointing in terms of presentation quality; especially because two of the reveals were nothing burgers, with one being a 3DS remaster and the other, more interesting new game having zero meaningful information revealed about it. I don't care for insubstantial reveals. Like I've said above, Switch's strength for me has been the versatility and the best periods on the system have been when Nintendo really strike a good balance between various franchises, and today didn't have that and right now, it looks like the final third of 2023 won't have that variety, either.

Back
Top Bottom