• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event R(h)ate the Direct (June 2023 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,628297362110312 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

Rate the Direct

• 1 stars

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 39 9.4%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 119 28.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 177 42.4%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 72 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4 stars. The good announcements were great, but there was a lot of filler and it wasn't paced particularly well.

Mario fans feasting

I voted 3/5 but really I meant 3.5/5

Solid direct but not too crazy....which I think is an indirect win because it's clear the Switch is definitely in its last year (Finally).

Really solid, 4 stars. Great announcements from both Nintendo and third-parties. These are all on my radar:

• Detective Pikachu Returns
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Peach game
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Batman Arkham Trilogy
  • Dragon Quest Monsters
  • Pikmin 1 + 2
  • Metal Gear Solid Collection
  • WarioWare: Move It
  • Zelda amiibo
  • Super Mario Wonder

Some lowpoints:
  • Opening with Pokémon DLC. Not a shot at Pokémon, just the idea of opening with DLC in general is less exciting than a new game.
  • Persona 5 Tactica but no Persona 3. Not gonna blame Nintendo for this but good lord Atlus.
  • Just Luigi's Mansion 2? 1 would have been nice as well. Pikmin got both.

In a unbiased overall look at the direct I'd rate it like 3/5 or a 4/5.

In terms of the only actual thing I was looking forward to, TotK DLC:

-5/5 :p

4/5 from me

The opening with Pokemon was not great, the middle stuff with 2024 teases was weird and so was the Nintendo Live almost at the end.

New Wario, Pikmin 1+2, Mario Wonder, Super Mario RPG. Cannot complain.

2/5 for me. Usually we see a strong opener, strong closer, and something good in a middle section, plus a few snacks here and there. For me, the opener fell flat (already announced Pokémon DLC), the middle section was weird (3 games, 2 remakes, 2 without release windows or even titles), and the closer was excellent. Not a lot of snacks I was all that interested in.

After it ends it left the feeling of "not as great", maybe due to the lack of something megaton like a Zelda or Metroid game. But then I start to go game after game and I want badly almost all of them. A lot of great games, Mario wonder looks wonderful, the non expected return of wario Ware, Mario rpg, detective Pikachu, Pikmin 1+2 (I still can't believe we have the four Pikmin games on the same console), and the peach and Luigi game for 2024. On the third party side we got things like DQ monsters or the Arkham trilogy (and native, wow).

It was indeed a great direct, and I think it's also clear that we are in the endgame now. But I won't complain about this new trend of shadowdropping GC games after a direct, I could get use to it.

3/5 for me.

When looking at what games they showed this wasn't a bad direct. Though I think some trailers or teasers for potentially cool games were just not good. Like Detective Pikachu Trailer was bland, the Peach Game was weirdly presented and the Pokémon DLC trailer took too much time. The pacing was off in this presentation.

I think they should have left the classical Direct format behind for this one and cut it more like past E3 directs. Focus on the first parties and bigger third parties and show them in form of the PS showcase (or the Nintendo E3 2019 direct), put the farming games and already announced games like Sonic into a sizzle reel and then a teaser for Peachy game and Mario Bros. Wonder at end.

image.png
/5

I'm going to have to give it the lowest score because we finally got an Uma Musume game, which is going to be localized and they dared not to show it in the US stream.... so 3 stars

An absolute killer 5 star Direct for me. Wonder, RPG, Persona 5 Tactica and Batman this year, a Peach game next, the list is endless.

Nintendo Directs live and die by their opening, central showcase and closer. And Pokemon DLC - Pikmin 4 - Wonder was one of the weaker spines in Direct history. Some of the better reveals filling up the space in between came with weird excitement inhibitors, like Mario RPG not quite pulling off the stunted characters look.

I'm close to a 2, but I'll bring it up to a 3 for respecting the Princesses with Peach's solo adventure and Daisy being in the new New Super Mario Bros.

Think 2 or 3, it was kinda bad. Best part was Wonder and that looked pretty good overall, nice to be properly excited about 2D Mario again.

I like Pokemon but didn't vibe with Scarlet and Violet, kinda weird that they didn't show Side Order and just a Splatfest that I think they have done before? Detective Pikachu looks good enough I guess, still have to play the first one. The Princess Peach game is like the most surprising announcement and they didn't show anything which is like why???. Last Spark Hunter shadowdrop is great (if my avatar is any indication) . DQ Monsters looks cool. Pikmin 4 idk, with every trailer is like they show something new that looks like it could be a good or a bad mechanic, still going to play it but I get more worried with each showcase. Super Mario RPG looks kind of bad, pretty disappointed by that. Wario Ware is neat, always good to have more Wario Ware. Re-releases are fine but I can still play most of these, most of the third party stuff was pretty unremarkable, I don't like 2D HD so I'll pass on the SO remake if I ever feel like playing it I'll just play another version. Is funny that they didn't announce Persona 3, always find the discourse of Persona not being on Switch entertaining.

Maybe I'm just crazy but the art style for everything looked unpolished or off to me. Warioware's old art style is better than Get It Together's, so I'm glad it's returning, but the colors don't pop AT ALL (I seriously thought it was a Wii port at first because of this) and it looks weird. Super Mario RPG looks kind of bad.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks ok but while I get they're trying to get a claymation style going with the low animation, the low animation looks bad. And parts of it do look plasticy.

I know it sounds silly but it's pretty disappointing coming from Nintendo (or partners) to not have cohesive art styles. Other games like Dragon Quest Monsters also looked rush, but I can't blame Nintendo for that.

Overall a 3/5. The ports and remasters are pretty uninteresting this time around, either cause they look bad or because i've played them. But I'm pretty excited for Super Mario Bros. Wonder and the MGS collection (which I'll probably get on PC tho).

Pretty great. Thought it peaked early with Super Mario RPG, but Wonder was much zanier than I expected and I'm really, really excited for it.

I think the Pokemon DLC looks great, Pikmin bonanza is very welcome even if I won't get to immediately, a Peach game is overdue. We already knew about Tactica and Star Ocean 2 remake, but those also look fantastic (though Tactica releasing the same day as SMRPG...okay!).

Shame not to see any Prime. My guess is that and FE4 show up in September for the first half of 2024.

Seriously though, Wonder looked amazing.

I give this Direct a 6 out of 10.

I enjoyed Mario Wonder, Pikmin 1, Star Ocean Second R, DQM Dark Prince, and Super Mario RPG. However, all of them are remade or low-budget games with the exception of Mario.

This seemed like a Direct for the boomers with stuff I'm too young to care about and I'm not even that young.

The Star Ocean remake is the highlight for me! (Outside of P5T.)

4/5 for me. Didn't get that one big thing to push it to a 5, but boy did we get a lot of good stuff. An ARPG that's taking some cues from Harvest Moon, Pikmin 4 slowly convincing me to buy it, Overcooked mechanics version, FREAKING DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS, Vampire Survivors, a cool new indie 3D platformer, Warioware with motion controls as it was always meant to have, and a 2D Mario that's definitely huffed some questionable substances.

2/5. It was bad for me in terms of announcements. Super mario wonder, Pikmin 4 and Star Ocean looked fantastic, Mario RPG, Sonic superstars and Penny Breakaway looked ok, the rest looked ugly. Most of them looked like they were developed for 3ds, but were now in hd (with some of them actually being that).

Last edited:
Depends.

If Switch 2 is this Christmas or early next year, 3/5, solid and respectable wind down period for the switch

If Switch 2 is any later than that though? 1.5/5.

Lots of "oh nice" or "huh, neat" type announcement. Not many "yeah!!" or "oh sick, hype!" type ones.

A solid 4.

What I considered exciting was really exciting, plus a few bonus releases I'd love to finally add to my collection (e.g. Pikmin 1 + 2).

The direct had many Wii and WiiU vibes: Many "cute" looking games from Nintendo, no surprises and only low effort third party games.

Anyway Pikmin 4 looks great. I love Pikmin and played all three games on Switch predecessors, but refused to buy Pikmin 3 on Switch because I think it was technically very disappointing und unpolished game and I don't want to support such low effort ports.

I went with 3 since it had solid stuff for Mario fans, but personally there wasn't much that appealed to me.

But thats fine bc I already ate with the previous directs that gave us XB3, ToTK, FE Engage, so like.. the other Ninty fans deserve some food too. XD

4/5. Lots of games I want to play and great announcements like Dragon Quest Monsters, Super Mario Bros Wonder and RPG remake, and more. Can't complain about it too much when looking back.

Not a 5/5 because it lacks that one new game that would set me on fire, but that's fine. This year is already packed to the breaking point already.

Like, 2.5/5 I guess.

This Direct was one of the weaker ones of the Switch era in terms of 3rd party stuff for my taste, and I'm pretty disappointed that it seems like Persona 3 Reload isn't coming to Switch after all. The Metal Gear collection being confirmed for Switch was cool though, as was the Star Ocean 2 remake.

1st party was pretty meh too imo. Although I do like Mario, and Super Mario Wonder looks really exciting (although a bit too close to NSMB artstyle for my liking), I'm not a huge Mario guy, so the 1st party reveals being filled to the brim with Mario stuff wasn't something I was a big fan of. I'll echo that the Peach game and Dark Moon remaster reveals were extremely weird, too.

Mario RPG looks neat, but I don't really care about it tbh. I've always been more of a classic Paper Mario guy when it comes to my taste in Mario RPG's, and I would've been more excited about a TTYD remaster or remake. Still though, the remake looks cool, and I may end up buying it since I've never actually played the original.

Pokemon is an IP I could not care less about tbh, so opening on DLC (which is pretty lame regardless of the game imo) was pretty meh too imo.

The Pikmin stuff was cool at least. Genuinely not expecting the madlads at Nintendo to shadowdrop remasters of 1 and 2 a month before the next new game comes out lol. Definitely wanna pick them up eventually.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I really hate to sound so negative, the Direct was probably objectively pretty good, just not too much for me personally.

I'll follow some posts here and give the rating of :

Mario / 10.

(Only for me it means 1000000/10, Mario is the King of Video Games, put some respect on his name !!!)

Like, I'd rank it truthfully at 3.5, but rounding up to 4 stars because PIKMIN 1 + 2 YEAHHH BWOIIIIIII

Other standouts include Manic Mechanics, MythForce, MGS Collection, Batman Arkham Trilogy, Sonic Superstars, Penny's Big Breakaway, tentatively hyped for Headbangers Rhythm Royale (kinda remind me of the Pokemon Stadium minigames?) and Palia, SMRPG a little disappointed it's not a 2DHD remake but c'est la vie, Detective Pikachu/Princess Peach/Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon should be good for a fun romp, stoked for the Pikmin 4 demo, and while I'm still not fully sold on Super Mario Wonder's artstyle, still excited to grab it day one.

A new WarioWare is sort of...why? Tbh not sure I'll get it when I've barely scratched the surface of multiplayer on the 2021 game

The lack of AAA third party titles was a little disappointing. No more impossible ports it seems when everything is being focused on the next Switch, but even so I kinda was hoping for a little more from western studios.

This Gamecube renaissance is definitely elevating my mood, and knowing that there are still surprises even if F-Zero GX and TTYD were heavily rumoured keeps my hopes high that they're not gonna hold back an arbitrary number of games per year.

Solid. Alot of stuff I had no interest in but the highlights were bangin'. Probably my favorite Direct since the E3 with the Dread and TOTK reveals.

Last edited:
considering only third-party games, I think this was the worst Direct in recent years.
The only relevant game I can remember was Star Ocean 2 remake and MGS collection.

Four stars, because Mario Wonder looks like a 5/5 game and Pikmin 1+2 ARE 5/5 games.

I guess I'll just uh copy paste my comment from the last thread? A couple people quoted me but I can't quote them back from the locked thread, so I guess if anyone was actually looking for a response from me just tag me again

I honestly thought that was horrible lol

I'm assuming this won't be a popular take, but: I know Chris Dring was merely extrapolating with his bullshit "no big games after Zelda" rumor and probably didn't have any actual info, but... he was kinda right tho

I do acknowledge the "big game" thing is just my own bias though. Super Mario Wonder will obviously sell really well. It just doesn't look very exciting to me personally. And the rest of the presentation was really small scale stuff. I probably won't be buying anything for Switch this year after Pikmin 4, but that's fine because I got plenty of a backlog already on other systems lol

But like, this was probably the worst presentation from all the ones I've watched this past month (Xbox, Starfield Direct, Day of the Devs, and somehow even PlayStation)

Gave it a 4 but it was probably more of a 4.5. There was a lot of games that I would be interested in buying. My biggest problem is that I will have to pick and choose which ones I actually decide to get as the end of 2023 is packed.

Even though I have no interest at all in Pikmin, there was enough to do my Mario-loving heart so good. I love that a week after my 40th birthday, I'll have a new 2D Mario AND 2D Sonic to indulge in. Talk about a way to really come full circle with how started out in this hobby!

And well, Dragon Quest Monsters looks great, and what more needs to be said about Mario RPG and Star Ocean 2?

Really wanna see more about Peach's new game, too.

Yeah, there's still stuff I wanted to see, but it's hard to be mad when I won so much.

4/5

Mario RPG is awesome
Luigi's mansion remake is really good.
Pikmin!!!
Mario Wonder -> the highlight of the June for me. Of all games shown this month of any event, this is the one I am more hyped about.
Peach new game looks interesting.

No new DK hurts, but ok,

I voted 3/5 but really I meant 3.5/5

Solid direct but not too crazy....which I think is an indirect win because it's clear the Switch is definitely in its last year (Finally).
i would have voted 1.5 but voted 2, so theres the half star missing from yours =D

Just watched the Mario trailer for the second time and I'm starting to like the art style a little more as I begin to see the differences between this and the New series.

3 Stars, had they included the JP Goemon announcement it would have boosted it to 4 stars or even 4.5 for me.

There's a new Goemon game???

OMG it looks great!!

Oops, sort of. It's a spiritual successor by Good-Feel, who was founded by the main Director of the Goemon series and has a lot of Konami's Goemon team.

Awww shit son. I've been waiting for ages to see this and it's Japan only for now? So annoying. It looks really funky and this is exactly the kind of thing that would've made today's Direct more exciting.

I guess we can assume it gets an international release eventually, but damn.

That's a 5 star banger for me.

Warioware
Mario
Pikmin presentation was excellent, top-notch
first 2 Pikmin shadow dropped (reminiscent of NMH3 in a direct a bit ago)
Pokemon DLC looked great
New characters in Mario Kart, awesome additions
Dragon Quest Monsters looks nice
Zelda and Ganondorf amiibos look excellent

I also think that Penny's Big Breakaway game looks dope. Super Mario RPG I didn't really ask for and I've grown tired of remakes and remasters, but it looked ok and I'll probably give it a play. Dark Moon, same thing, though I'm not sure I'll buy that one, but who knows. Peach game intrigues me but it was the most bizarre part of the show, seemed like they tossed it in last second.

All in all, a great showing.

Went with three stars.

The direct is fine. It's a Direct that felt like it needed to exist to showcase holiday plans (Mario games) and followup on Pikmin 4. But, unless you like Mario (and I enjoy it well enough I guess?), there just wasn't much here to get excited about.

Thinking that giving it a 4 was a good idea, after all. Rewatched Mario Wonder trailer and it looks like Mario 3-2. Every level might have a unique gimmick, except crazier than any usual platforming theme you can think of, and I'm here for it!

Pretty eh for me

Not all too much I was interested in, honestly. Pikmin 4 was the only game that truly wowed me and that's something we already knew about

Voted a 3 since there were objectively some good announcements but probably my least favorite Direct of the Switch era

This was basically a Pokémon + Pikmin + Mario Direct so your score probably depends on how much you love those three IP.

4/5 stars is about where I think it lands at first due to the opening being pretty low energy with Pokémon DLC and repeats of 3rd party games that were already announced.

You know what though? Fuck it this was a Direct for me. 5/5 stars! Ive been so damn hungry for a brand new original platformer from Nintendo and Mario Wonder is a dream cause its finally some creativity and fun injected into 2D Mario. (and the first traditional, new 2D Mario in 11 years!)

Then top it off with a new Peach game, a new WarioWare, a remaster of Luigi's Mansion 2, a remake of SMRPG, and DLC for Mario Kart, and I'm very happy as a Mario fan.

Last edited:
Easily the Direct I've enjoyed the most in a long time. Mario stuff was fantastic and some other smaller games looked cool. 4 stars because it can only be a 5 star when they announce a new DK game.

It lacked (both for me, and I think globally speaking) a "hardcore oriented" brand new game (that could have been Metroid Prime 4, for example) but sales-wise and content-wise (especially in terms of variety, considering the different genres and IP presented) I think it has been VERY solid
thinking that we are in Switch's 7th year, and that there still are announced and probably unannounced games for 2024..chapeau

2 stars. There were some cool announcements like Mario RPG, Star Ocean, and Mario Wonder, but that was maybe the least entertaining big Direct of the Switch era for me. Even in the Directs people usually bash, there's one or two announcements that blow me away or get me really excited and that's enough for me to be hype overall, but there was nothing like that in this Direct. If Mario Wonder was more of a departure or felt like it was treading new ground, that could've done it, but it doesn't look like a giant leap at first glance.

Not that bent though because the first half of the year has been really good, and between all the platforms, there's a lot to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom