• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event R(h)ate the Direct (June 2023 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,628297362110312 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

Rate the Direct

• 1 stars

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 39 9.4%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 119 28.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 177 42.4%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 72 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's funny that I see absolutely nobody mention Dragon Quest Monsters, is that such an obscure game? For me it was one of the highlights personally
Love the Dragon Quest Monsters series, but that trailer looked pretty barren. Will need to see more before I can get excited.

I didn’t see the Direct live this time but I watched all the trailers that interested me.

There’s a LOT on the slate that I’ll buy and I didn’t expect that, so it’s 4 stars for me.

Also, this feels like a mopping up at the end of Switch 1’s life, and I’m glad about that

I really don't care much about Mario or Pikmin so not a great direct for me.
Star Ocean looks good and I might check out Wonder just because of how crazy the trailer was but that's about it.

The Japanese version had Fate/Samurai Remnant too which is cool, but it ran... atrociously. Seemingly way worse than any other musou on the Switch.

Pretty easy A, which translates to a solid 4/5 for me. Lots of cool stuff, but the pacing was a bit wonky. Leading with Pokemon DLC was a bad move, although I kinda get it considering they wanted to group all of the Mario stuff together.

I rated it a 5 because it’s exactly what I could have asked for as we start to close out the Switch generation.

Nothing shown was too ambitious for the current Switch - 2D games, fantastic looking remakes (Star Ocean and Mario RPG), and above all…no Metroid Prime 4. It means I can still remain hopeful that the game gets a cross generational launch.

Happily capping off the rest of my year with:
  1. Pikmin 4
  2. Starfield
  3. Star Ocean 2
  4. Mario RPG
  5. Diablo IV seasons

My criteria for judging a direct:

1. Were there games that I felt excited about the prospect of buying? (If yes, positive modifier)

2. Were there games shown that I’ve been anticipating or are from a series I love, but what was shown was disappointing? (If yes, negative modifier)

3. Were there games I’m largely indifferent to or uninterested in? (If 1 is yes, than neutral modifier, if 1 is not true, negative modifier)

4. Was there an x-factor announcement that is either especially impressive or appealed to a very specific desire? (If yes, then a positive modifier)

So, for this direct, 1 and 3 were true, 2 was not true, and 4 was somewhat true (the Mario games being very exciting but not quiiiiite a through the roof exciting announcement). So numerically, maybe a 4.5 for me.

3 stars I guess, it was good but kind of mid. Everything I want got either leaked or was announced for a while. There was just no big surprise for me, not one of Prime 4/Silksong/F-Zero

• I’m getting Pokemon atp just because Seel’s in the DLC
  • Pikmin 4 looks like literally everything the series has ever did, plus I guess some upgrade mechanic because every game ever gotta have that to hook people up. Still looks great, will probably be my second voucher game alongside Pokemon
  • I really don’t care about playing a game I already own and played, but with better graphics. At least SMRPG is somewhat more justified than a lot of other SNES suggestions that really don’t need remakes at all. I don’t wanna be that guy about the shadow council but Bowser straight up looks like his NSMB model, very jarring. Mario and Peach look scaled down. Unless it has extra dungeons/chapters/Boshi as a party member I’ll just stick with the original really
  • New Peach game had almost no gameplay but it has cult classic potential, they finally made another one to respond to the sexism allegations
  • Yoyo game could be a hidden gem but it doesn’t look 3D enough for my taste
  • Konami are the goats, already have those games but looking forward to vol 2 with MGSV. Not sure which version of 2 and 3 are there but that package looks immaculate otherwise, they are available separately too. Gold standard for retro collections or what
  • Star Ocean 2 got leaked but that’s probably the highlight for me, hope it’s as good as its reputation (I love Tales). Played First Departure, it was okay but stood out due to some interesting ideas, apparently 2 is the real deal. Combat changes seem welcome, the combat in 1 is kind of very simplistic and not really good
  • New Wario Ware makes me feel scammed, just two years later. At least the series is alive and well but this could have been Rhythm Heaven at this point. They could have also just did some kind of definitive Wario Ware that uses all control schemes but with brand new minigames, so you can actually play it in handheld unlike that one (don’t have a Switch Lite but feel bad for them tbh)
  • New 2D Mario game… from afar I thought it was just NSMBU2 but after watching the trailer Mario does look much closer to the artbook artstyle. Maybe the NSMB shadow council doesn’t have such a strong grip after all. Even then, while including Yoshi is welcome I’m not that hyped, I was fine with 2D Mario being dormant not that long ago because they were really milking NSMB hard after Wii. So the hook for Wonder is that the whole game is about Mario getting high, but there’s already a Yoshi’s Island level like that. Will the overworld expand upon SMW’s structure? I really don’t miss 2D Mario and its adjacent games (3D Land/World) because they basically just have the same gameplay loop than SMB3 (linear world map, clear every stage, collect optional collectable, use powerups). You could say it’s natural that they take from this classic, same with many platformers out there but here’s the thing, the ones that really stood out had like nonstop creativity and new mechanics between every level (ex. Yoshi’s Island, SMG2, DKC etc). I can’t say the same about the NSMB games and 3D Land/World so Wonder really needs to have some banger levels and powerups for me to turn my head at this point

Most of Nintendo’s directs over the past few years have been bad for me. This one had a good amount of stuff I’m interested in! I didn’t get everything I wanted, but i’ll still give it a four.

Oh man you said it so well efyu_lemonardo! We've been posting across these forums together for like a decade at this point? I discovered the original forum in late July 2013 when I wanted to learn more about whether I might be interested in a game like Pikmin 3 as part of my resurgent gaming interests. And then now it's 10 years later, Pikmin 4 is coming out, and as a fan particularly of Nintendo's colorful series this was the best Direct for me in forever!

• I would love to replay LM2, I remember it pretty well but it's one of my faves and I'm excited to play it with my spouse on the big screen (they also played and loved it on 3DS). Great that it's coming next year because there are too many games to play in the meantime, LOL!
  • Pikmin 1 and 2 are still pretty fresh in my mind but I love that there will be an HD option to replay them one day.
  • Penny's Big Breakaway looked awesome and not at all lightning-fast (I can't get into the speed of the Sonic games so this is a big plus for me).
  • I'm intrigued and curious what the Princess Peach game will be.
  • I'm on media blackout for Pikmin 4 so I tried to see/watch as little as possible and the tiny glimpses I got by accident sounded incredible.
  • I love Mario RPGs and we've been meaning to play SMRPG for ages on our SNES Classic so this looks even better. From what I remember many of the creators went on to make the M&L (and maybe PM?) games so I'm psyched to see this remake.
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks mind-blowingly creative and fun, if we can't have a Kotabe-style Mario this is the next best thing for sure and the gameplay itself looks unsurprisingly excellent!
No sign of DK makes me hope it's H1 2024 with 3D Mario H2 2024. With so many fun and colorful adventures on display today I am glad to wait for those, no complaints here at all. Just elation. When they showed so many Mario games up front I was really starting to wonder if we'd see the rumored 2D platformer and started to think maybe we wouldn't. So I am just over the moon over that.
That's really sweet of you Max, it feels nice to be seen :)
I've always appreciated your enthusiasm and optimism.

3 stars, This is the first general direct in a long time I felt "meh" on. Focusing on the stuff I'm interested in:

-I like SMRPG but not enough to buy a remake, one of my close friends worships the game though so I'll maybe borrow it from him. The instrumentation of the remake doesn't sound like it's Yoko Shimomura unfortunately.
-Princess peach game looks decent on its own but from the small amount we saw from the teaser, the mechanics seem redundant with current nintendo platformers
-pikmin 4 i'm looking forward to and I saw enough of it a while ago
-MK8D dlc continues to look good after the underwhelming first few waves
-star ocean is a series I always meant to try but never did, the second game's remake might be my chance
-warioware move it will be a game I bust out when friends are over to fuck around for like an hour before we play something else like GiT
-Super Mario Wonder was the biggest takeaway, I love when mario does psychadelic stuff and that was found in spades with the trailer. We're also free from the horrid NSMB artstyle to something that looks much nicer

I'm not upset despite not being big on this direct, I have things to look forward to with the switch and I'm sure they're s4ving some big guns for the next nintendo system. It shows in the ratings from previous threads in the OP that nintendo's slowing down for the switch

Last edited:
I give it three stars. A lot of good announcements, but the biggest ones were all leaked in the most anticlimactic way I've seen in a long time, and a good portion of the third-party stuff looked terrible to me and brought down the pacing/vibe.

Still, some really high highs. SMRPG Remake is a dream game (though it very much looks like modern Nintendo remaking SMRPG with nothing surprising about it), Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks damn great, and the Star Ocean 2 remake is the highlight of the show. SO2, for my money, is second only to FF7 and the Suikoden games as far as PS1 RPGs go. I would legitimately be actually less happy about a Chrono Trigger remake than I am for this.

Solid 4 I'd say. It felt like they're leaning pretty heavily on Mario in this one but that's understandable given the movie did gangbusters and Mario has always been one of their more consistent properties.

Personally I would've liked to see whatever next is coming from Team Asano or Kawazu but TGS is in 3 months and there's an Octopath stream happening in July, so I don't think we'll have to wait too long for news from them. Or some more indies but we'll probably have an Indie World soon enough too.

I think the only things that would've bumped this to a 5 would be finally getting a Prime 4 update and/or a date for Side Order.

On to the September direct!

4, would have been 5 if Side Order had a trailer instead of the a splatfest announcement which should never be more than a twitter post

Super Mario RPG Remake announcement made it get the legendary status of Directs for me. I give it a 5. Not just because of it, but Super Mario Bros Wonder felt like a dream(induced by zolpidem btw), Peach getting a high effort game coupled with Luigi's Mansion 2 remaster for 2024(meaning Switch still has some stuff that late in its life), great looking third party games that really appeal to me, Pikmin 4 looking like a blast and 1+2 being shadowdropped...

Literally the only thing I missed was Metroid Prime 4.

I rated it a 3, but I really lean more toward a 2. I'm not a Pikmin guy and am only a medium Mario fan, and that was like 80% of the Direct, so that puts it a ways behind already for me personally. That combined with a lot of the other announcements feeling kind of 'eh' or being already announced earlier in the month made it feel not super great. I really felt the lack of something more 'hardcore' oriented. But I can definitely understand the general hype and Mario fans are really eating!

3 for me. Some solid announcements, but lots of filler (reannouncing stuff already announced last week, Splatfest announcement, Nintendo Live reminder) and it started to veer into "farming direct" territory at times. Not very many "wow" factor games and a bit too heavy on remakes and remasters.

Highlight New Games
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: Looks like it's doing some really fun, unique things.
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story R: I've never played the original, so it'll be a new game for me. Visuals look really impressive, very similar to HD-2D, but in a distinct way.
  • Super Mario RPG: Haven't gotten around to playing the original yet (despite owning on Wii and SNES Classic Edition), so new for me, but a little less exciting since I do own the original already. It looks very faithful to the original, but there was definitely a lot of effort put into this.
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince: Visuals obviously aren't as good as DQXI, but they're a step up from Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. And the single player will be way better than Pokemon. This will be my choice for a monster RPG. The DQ 4 connections are pretty interesting.
  • Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1: Never played any of these but have been curious about the series since Snake got into Brawl. Debated picking up MGS3 on the 3DS, but I'm glad I held off for this. While it was announced earlier, nice to have Switch confirmation.
  • Batman Arkham Trilogy: Never played, heard good things. Curious how Arkham Knight will run on the Switch.
  • Vampire Survivors: Never played, heard good things.
Highlight Updates on Known Games
  • Pikmin 4: Glow Pikmin look cool. Making an energy ball projectile out of them was sick. Glad to see a vs. mode return.
  • Booster Course Pass Wave 5: New bathroom track looks neat. 3 more characters was a nice surprise.
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope DLC2: Looks good. Mecha King Bob-omb looks cool.
  • Sonic Superstars: Was nice to see the Switch version in motion. Looks better than I thought it would based on the screenshots we got.
  • Persona 5 Tactica: Love me some SRPGs, the new gameplay looked good.
Wait and See
  • WarioWare: Move It!: I like WarioWare, but I'm not sure how keen I am to stand up and do all the motion stuff. Maybe for the right price. We'll see.
  • Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: Good game, but I played and own the original. Might pick up eventually on sale.
  • Pikmin 1 + 2: Good games, but I played and own the originals. Might up pick up eventually on sale.
  • Penny's Big Breakaway: Could be good, gotta respect that Sonic Mania cred. But I'm always warry about new 3D platformers from anyone but Nintendo. And something about concept feels a bit...random? Like you're a clown(?) with a yo-yo and there's a bunch of penguins for some reason?
  • Silent Hope: I like ARPGs. Character design look good. Will depend on how good the combat and customization elements are (gear, skills, builds, etc...).
  • Gloomhaven: Looks like something I could be into. Never heard of it, but it looks like on PC it had good reception. Kinda depends on how the Switch conversion goes. Bad UI for controllers and walls of tiny text descriptions could kill this kind of game for me.

Took me a while to be able sit down today and write something out. I saw it three times with friends and family and discussed announcements on Discord a bit, but otherwise have avoided this thread and reviews in general. I picked four stars for the review, but I love parts of this one like it is five stars.

I was disappointed Pokemon DLC opened the show, since my heart sank knowing Mario had to be the closer so Metroid was out. I am excited for that DLC as SV is my all time favorite Pokemon game, but ah I just wish it hadn’t opened! The first few headlines were whatever, but then everything changed with the back to back punches of Mario RPG (which I’m shocked is real and looks so good!) and the Princess Peach game. That the latter cut on what appears to be a magical girl transformation is wild. I hope that pans out! Then we had out of left field leaked forever ago Batman which was hype even if I’m not sure I’m double dipping at full price.

Things were calm then until Pikmin 4 showed up and looked phenomenal. No co-op so far has me concerned, but bringing back underground dungeons with wild backgrounds (aquarium level!!) and introducing indoor and night time stuff looks rad. Then we have everyone is here for Pikmin with out of nowhere 1 and 2 ports! Amazing stuff. A pretty good stretch of third party stuff was in here with Vampire Survivors, Metal Gear, Penny, and the big one for me Star Ocean 2! All looked great. Also I’ll never get it, but that pigeon game was hilarious lol.

Wrapping up first party Mario Kart Wave 5 looks awesome. The bathroom track, which we knew about for a year, looks amazing and Wiggler and Kamek were inspired additions. Another huge surprise was WarioWare as I did not expect another one and really did not expect after all this time to get a Smooth Moves sequel which is easily my favorite WarioWare! Amazing. Finally it ended on the big one, Super Mario Wonder. I don’t know yet what the internet thinks of it if it looks too New Super or not, but I adored everything there. The shifting levels look rad, the playable character selection is already great (Yoshi, Peach, and Daisy!!), the music is incredible, and heck yeah Elephant Mario. So much personality here! My big question is if it’ll have online play like 3D World which I really hope it does! This is a potential GOTY contender for me.

So yeah it was a wild Direct. Some other Directs I’ve walked away with more big things (hard to beat the BCP and Xenoblade 3 in Feb 2022 for example) and I feel I’ve had better 3rd party spreads I’ve walked away with, but I really did dig what we got here. I’m feeling the Wonder.

Good Direct, the leak ruined the big surprises unfortunately.
New Mario and SMRPG remake are huge.
  • New Peach game
  • New Wario Ware
  • More remasters

+Mario Wonder
+Mario RPG Remake
+Mario Kart 8 DLC
+PeachGame
+Luigis Mansion 2 Remake
+Wario Ware
+Pikmin 1+2 Remake
+All Pikmin games on one system
+Batman Trilogy
+Metal Gear Solid Collection
+Dragon Quest Monster
+Many AA Games

-Too much Mario
- Hoping for more Remasters ( F- Zero, Metroid Prime, Kid Icarus Uprising, TTYD)

+- My backlog grows while my bank account is shrinking

Talent won!!!

I was frankly overwhelmed!! Switch will outsell PS2 and Switch 2 will not launch before fall 2024.

Pikmin 4 continues to look great!
1+2 available now! REMAKE
MGS Trilogy! PORT
The indie 3D platformer that blows Sonic out of the water!!
Arkham Knight? How? PORT
More Wario Ware!!
Mario RPG Remake! REMAKE
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD! PORT
Super Princess Peach 2!
Mario Bros. Wonder!
Star Ocean looks beautiful! The evolution of HD2D I always wanted! REMAKE
More HotWheels Unleashed!
Too many games!!
Stop it Nintendo!
For me a 4 being generous, above is the reason, not so much in terms of proper, new games.

There was a lot that personally appealed to me (everything Pikmin, everything Mario/Mario-adjacent, Sonic, Batman and Metal Gear collections), but at the same time the Direct kinda felt B-tier overall. I think it was good, not great. I gave it a 3, but if the option existed I would have went with 3.5.

Just realized I forgot Untitled Peach Game in my analysis. That was a positive, but it didn't really leave much of an impact with just a few seconds of gameplay. Honestly, I think they should have just held it back and given it a proper unveiling later. They really blew the surprise factor on such a lackluster reveal.

3/5. Pretty heavy on the Mario front, and the lack of higher-profile third party games is sorely missed.

That said, I'm getting a decent portion of what was shown, so it wasn't bad by any means. Kinda surprised neither FE4 or MP4 made it, but there's always September.

1/5. There was literally nothing that spoke to me despite many of the games looking quality. Guess I'll splurge for the MGS Collection, but that's going to be it.

I gave it 3. The big deal is the new 2D Mario, which is exactly what I've been waiting for and looks incredible. As Mario RPG has never been released in Europe, I'm also delighted to discover it. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Detective Pikatchu.

However, I'm rather disappointed by the Wario announcement. Firstly, because it reminds me how much I hated the Wii's motion gaming. Secondly, I'm fed up with Wario being condemned in perpetuity to be used only for Wario Ware. I don't have a problem with remasters, but given the quality of LM3, porting the 2 didn't really seem an emergency to me when we still don't have any Star Fox or F-Zero on the machine.

In terms of third parties, apart from Sonic, which we already knew, I've never played Batman Arkham, so I'm delighted. On the other hand, I wasn't convinced by the other announcements, none of which appeals to me. The Metal Gear collection is pure emulation.

Dubious about the total absence of an unpublished release in September. I'm hoping for a shadow drop, but I don't have much faith in it.

3/5. I think this Direct would have been better if it was called "Switch Direct" and we already had a next gen console with big games...

Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,628297362110312 stars Direct according to this beautiful place, therefore reaching the third place in the All the Directs Ranked Since Famiboards is a Thing.

Here's the current ranking:
  1. Feb 2022 Direct - 4.26 stars
  2. Feb 2023 Direct - 4.00 stars
  3. June 2023 Direct - 3,63 stars <<<------
  4. June 2022 Direct - 3.60 stars
  5. Sep 2022 Direct - 3.44 stars

that...seems right.
I feelt objevtively its a 7, subjectively it was a 4. I voted 2/5, and it is at... slightly above 7 (72%)

I would have rated the September direct better personally speaking.

Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,628297362110312 stars Direct according to this beautiful place, therefore reaching the third place in the All the Directs Ranked Since Famiboards is a Thing.

Too early to call but it certainly looks like the February Directs are when Nintendo comes out swinging

Subjectively, this direct didn't announce anything new that I need day one. Lots of interesting looking games I wanna try out, but nothing that gets me hungry/changes my plans on how I'm spending my gaming budget this year.

Still don’t understand the hype behind the February 2023 direct tbh

Out of these 5, I’d slot it at #2, below February 2022 and above September 2022.

so, if we indeed have a trend here, September direct would be the worst of the year.

IMO it will depend if we have or not something Prime 4. If MP4 is shown, it will be automatically a better direct than this one, otherwise, the trend might be reinforced.

so, if we indeed have a trend here, September direct would be the worst of the year.

IMO it will depend if we have or not something Prime 4. If MP4 is shown, it will be automatically a better direct than this one, otherwise, the trend might be reinforced.
This direct is also so full or remakes that while it shows a lot and there's plenty of variety, it doesn't change my view a successor is comign very soon.

If anything, September direct will just be a partner direct.

This direct is also so full or remakes that while it shows a lot and there's plenty of variety, it doesn't change my view a successor is comign very soon.

If anything, September direct will just be a partner direct.
Nah, it’s gonna be a full. They’ve got 4 games across October and November, plus DLC, and then probably 1-2 2024 announcements on top of that. That’s more than enough for a general.

Nah September 2021 was pretty good: NSO new consoles, 3d Kirby, Bayonetta 3 and the infamous Mario movie cast reveal

Damn, the fact that this is even close to last June's Partner Direct and last year's September Direct is scary imo!

This is really surprising for me personally, but I am happy that it seems Nintendo and the Switch still generates such enthusiasm even this late in its lifecycle. Huge contrast to being a Nintendo fan circa 2016. Whatever announcements we get in the remainder of the year will surely be interesting!

Back
Top Bottom