• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Predict Tears of the Kindom Metacritic Score!

What will ToTK's final metacritc score be?

• 98-100

• 95-97

• 91-94

• 85-90

• under 84

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for the first day of reviews it will land at 97 (BotW landed at 98), and eventually settle down into 96 (BotW was 97).

I think both the saving grace of the score and also the thing that will limit it from going even higher, is that ppl who love BotW are going to love this one, but those who didn't love it, are still probably not going to love it, or at the very least not think the core gameplay is now all of a sudden worth a 10.

Also, as for why I think it'll be lower (even if ever so slightly), is that even if those who gave BotW an 8 or 9, push up their scores this time around, It'll be unlikely that every single reviewer who gave BotW a 10 will also give it a 10 this time around. Why? Well I could probably list a dozen reasons why some might be put off by what the sequel is doing, but it's been discussed many times already so I won't.

TotK is looking to be legitimately better than BotW in every single way, but I think it's important to understand that review aggregations don't always reflect that nuance, especially with such a high score.

I think for the first day of reviews it will land at 97 (BotW landed at 98), and eventually settle down into 96 (BotW was 97).

I think both the saving grace of the score and also the thing that will limit it from going even higher, is that ppl who love BotW are going to love this one, but those who didn't love it, are still probably not going to love it, or at the very least not think the core gameplay is now all of a sudden worth a 10.

Also, as for why I think it'll be lower (even if ever so slightly), is that even if those who gave BotW an 8 or 9, push up their scores this time around, It'll be unlikely that every single reviewer who gave BotW a 10 will also give it a 10 this time around. Why? Well I could probably list a dozen reasons why some might be put off by what the sequel is doing, but it's been discussed many times already so I won't.

TotK is looking to be legitimately better than BotW in every single way, but I think it's important to understand that review aggregations don't always reflect that nuance, especially with such a high score.
Very well said. And reviewers that like the game much better than BotW but gave that game a 10 can’t give it a higher score because the scale stops at 10.

getting the same score as elden ring is no laughing matter especially since Elden ring to some reviewers is on the same level of open-world innovation as BOTW was

no totk review in this week's famitsu

no totk review in this week's famitsu

Damn, they say why?

I’m sorry, I know there was a thread recently that asked literally this question, but I don’t understand at all the interest of worrying about the critical score of a cultural product. Honestly, why do we care?

Those who have not already liked breath of the wild will say that the ratings are too high, the others will not stop singing the praises of the game, refusing any discussion about the topics that can be debated, but ultimately the most important thing is that everyone has the right to their own feelings and experiences, especially as developers literally encourage that.

I’m sorry, I know there was a thread recently that asked literally this question, but I don’t understand at all the interest of worrying about the critical score of a cultural product. Honestly, why do we care?

Those who have not already liked breath of the wild will say that the ratings are too high, the others will not stop singing the praises of the game, refusing any discussion about the topics that can be debated, but ultimately the most important thing is that everyone has the right to their own feelings and experiences, especially as developers literally encourage that.

Yes I have 99 problems and TotK ain't one

I haven’t seen any impressions really since the previews which some called the controls a bit clunky. I feel like around 95 is where it will be at. Less critically aclaimed than BotW but a fan favorite for some, just like Oot/MM.

I'm thinking slightly lower than BOTW. It may be similar quality, but a lot of the novelty from the drastic change in Zelda formula from BOTW will have worn off and dock it possibly .1-.5 points

Feel like people will make a deal of the performance (in a way that they don’t for other games) bc it’s nintendo and some might find the building/fusing/abilities driven gameplay doesnt fit with their playstyle - i would say 95-97

Screw Metascore, let's predict specific publication's review score:

IGN: 10
Gamespot: 9
Nintendo Life: 10
NINEtendo Life turning into NinTENdo Life when a new Zelda releases

goku-jump-transformation.gif

I'm kidding!

My heart says 97-99, but the realist in me says 94-96. I could see a 95, with the floor being 94 (what the last God of War got, which was also really hyped). Though it really shouldn't, if it starts out at a 93 I'll be worried since even Skyward Sword started out much higher than that.

Jim's bloodlust for BotW is reaching a boiling point, I can feel something big coming from him regarding this game, lol.

It's "them", iirc. I see you fixed it!

And i think (could be wrong) that they're not doing numbered review (scores) anymore.

Jim didn't recieve a review code for sure lol, any review is gonna come later. Considering Jim docked points off Metroid Prime for outside game reasons, probably gonna get points docked for the same dumb shit

Shouldn't certain sites get banned for obvious biased? Dunno how bad they are. I know they gave the game a 7 but that's I know about them. What happend with metroid?

Mod edit- corrected pronouns

Let's try not to misgender folks when the correct pronouns have already been pointed out earlier on the same page.

Jim's bloodlust for BotW is reaching a boiling point, I can feel something big coming from them regarding this game, lol.

Metacritic is still counting that clown's reviews?

Jimquisition of 2017 actually had a fairly nuanced and interesting take on BOTW, not one I agreed with but that's fine. I don't expect the same of Jimquisition in 2023.

Come on now, folks.

I don't see why we have to bring up Jim like this. They were critical of BotW in a valid, justified and completely legitimate way, and whatever other grievance one may have with them, now is not the time to air them. There's no need to have preconceived notions about what they will or will not think about TotK based off of past opinions about other games, or whether or not they will factor in aspects outside of the games themselves.

Jim didn't recieve a review code for sure lol, any review is gonna come later. Considering Jim docked points off Metroid Prime for outside game reasons, probably gonna get points docked for the same dumb shit

Shouldn't certain sites get banned for obvious biased? Dunno how bad he is. I know he gave the game a 7 but that's I know about the guy. What happend with metroid?

Metacritic is still counting that clown's reviews?

Jimquisition of 2017 actually had a fairly nuanced and interesting take on BOTW, not one I agreed with but that's fine. I don't expect the same of Jimquisition in 2023.

Please take the time to look at our new review thread guidelines that will be in place tomorrow as they seem very relevant here. Effectively, look at the arguments reviewers actually make rather than throwing shade around based on scores stripped of context or at the reviewer in general. You can find them here, they’ll be linked as a reply banner for the TotK review thread too. We are trying to move towards healthier discussion rather than holding a grudge over an opinion piece that was merely ‘very good’ from six years ago.

he dont need to play the game to score
Steph’s pronoun’s are they/them. Please fix this.
@Tbone5189 you too please.

Last edited:
Spawn Wave on his Redfall video brought up Tears of the Kingdom and he said that based on the the talk that has been going around, he said ToTK may surpass BOTW on Metacritic. It's just one Youtuber talking about what he has heard about the reception so take it however you like. But at the very least, it does seem to apply that based on the people he has heard from, they think TotK is better than BOTW it seems.
Can you post a link yo the video plz?

Can't find it because there's a lot of stuff regarding TotK in his channel.

Shouldn't certain sites get banned for obvious biased? Dunno how bad he is. I know he gave the game a 7 but that's I know about the guy. What happend with metroid?
By that same token Nintendolife should be banned because why on Earth would they give this game anything under a 10. Also a 7 isn't a bad score, just a terrible score for Zelda.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, though. It's clear that Jim had very strong beliefs on the game that many of us didn't really share that weighed heavily into the review.
if it get docked over the pointcrow thing I swear
I could easily see Critical being harsh on the game just because of his severe gripes with Nintendo as a company, even though he's admitted the game looks very nice. I'd assume by his own admission he's far from a qualified review outlet and the score wouldn't affect Metacritic. What will be annoying is if he gives it like an 8/10 or something and he gets flooded with unnecesary hate over it.

By that same token Nintendolife should be banned because why on Earth would they give this game anything under a 10. Also a 7 isn't a bad score, just a terrible score for Zelda.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, though. It's clear that Jim had very strong beliefs on the game that many of us didn't really share that weighed heavily into the review.

I could easily see Critical being harsh on the game just because of his severe gripes with Nintendo as a company, even though he's admitted the game looks very nice. I'd assume by his own admission he's far from a qualified review outlet and the score wouldn't affect Metacritic. What will be annoying is if he gives it like an 8/10 or something and he gets flooded with unnecesary hate over it.
Non-websites reviews aren't counted

I think, with utmost attention to the facts and the opinions, which today relate to Tears of the Kingdom as it is, was, and always has been, a game, which seeks to, in some ways, prove or disprove the qualifying statement of whether or not it, or something like it, is a sequel to- or at least in the lineage of- Breath of the Wild, which it is, will in some regard, at some time, have a critical reception, which may, or may not be, of universal praise, of the universal or non universal variety, in which by it may also not get praise, in the universal or non universal variety, that is to say, I believe that Tears of the Kingdom will definitely get a critical reception, which will spark a discussion, which will be of the negative or positive variety depending on the factors at hand at the time of the discourse being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom