• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Predict Tears of the Kindom Metacritic Score!

What will ToTK's final metacritc score be?

• 98-100

• 95-97

• 91-94

• 85-90

• under 84

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd make a thread for this since it keeps coming up in various Zelda threads.

Here are the scores for the past main games for home consoles:

97 - Breath of the Wild
93 - Skyward Sword
95 - Twilight Princess
96 - Wind Waker
95 - Majora's Mask
99 - Ocarina of Time

And here are the scores for the main handheld games:

91 - A Link Between Worlds
87 - Spirit Tracks
90 - Phantom Hourglass
89 - The Minish Cap

I think reviews are more critical nowadays and with it being a direct sequel I think it'll be especially harsh so I'll say 92 or so.

It's funny though because before the final trailer and some of the impressions I've seen online from people who have played the leaked copies I probably would have been super negative and said like 85 or something. Wasn't feeling the game at all for a long while.

100s everywhere, and a few 9s and that one guy who will do a 7/10.... 95+ seems like a safe bet, I be surprised it's under 95

97 is my guess, would be amazing to see it hit 98/99 but I don’t think the reviews will exceed BOTW

Less than BOTW but still pretty high up. 94 to 95.

I wish it got a 93 just to see if there would have outrage from a remaster outscoring it lol

95. The online impressions are universally positive, but it'll get docked because of "tHe HaRdWaRe"

yeah, I'll be interested to see how many reviews say the game is held back by the hardware, which honestly has become quite tiring given we are seeing Xbox Series, PS5 and PC games constantly being released with tech issues.etc....

I am probably being optimistic here but I think it is going to do slightly better the BOTW and come in with a 98.

I think 94 or 95. Damn forcing me to choose between two poll options... Fuck it, going with the 95-97 one

96-98. That seems very feasible to me.
  • It is not always the case that a direct sequel gets lower scores (see the score of God of War Ragnarok, a game that innovates less than TotK).
  • Also, I don't think many people will have a big problem with the framerate. BotW also had issues with that at times and it had little impact on the score.
  • There will always be one or more people who will be needlessly contrarian and give it a low score. I remember one reviewer giving BotW a 2/10, if I remember correctly. The vast majority will be very positive.

most performance issues were apparently due to an emulator or addressed in a patch so I doubt it will affect scores at all

We have NO evidence that this is going to run like Scarlet & Violet - and it looks slightly better than BotW from the screenshots. I'd be surprised if the hardware were a huge issue here, outside of the norm.

Like others said, probably like 70% of reviews will have some variant of "This game is better than BotW but lacks BotW's sheer sense of discovery". The other negative that'll be brought up a lot is the controls.

And imo, unless the performance is bad enough to significantly affect enjoyment, I think reviewers will be very, very lenient to any frame rate complications. Pokemon SV is a different situation. The game is not particularly ambitious, doesn't look that good graphically and with GameFreak pumping out a game almost every year, it gives the image that the performance issues are more due to the game being rushed out for the holidays and being unoptimized than anything. TotK is totally different. I think given the sheer ambition and scope of the game, reviewers will more likely attribute performance issues to TotK pushing the Switch to the absolute limit and will excuse it to a reasonable degree.

90-94. A game overall better than BOTW but perceived as less revolutionary for its time. And perception is as often reality for those things.

A beautiful increment on an all times great, but with lingering issues, not just technical, which in 2023 will be a bit more obvious than they were in 2017, preventing TOTK to get the same recognition as its predecessor.

Easy 95 MC. Wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. The impressions I've read are very positive, and by all accounts the game retains the sense of discovery from BotW.

Negatives will probably be excessive menu usage for Fuse, Ultrahand controls, and framerate. Don't think those will be significant enough to detract from the overall experience.

I voted under 84 as a meme kinda but in addition to hardware graphics "not as much wonder" I think some (notably sterling) will dock points for recent legal actions, i think under 90 is a real possibility, but below 88 is realistically not happening

I voted under 84 as a meme kinda but in addition to hardware graphics "not as much wonder" I think some (notably sterling) will dock points for recent legal actions, i think under 90 is a real possibility, but below 88 is realistically not happening
if something like TLOU2 can avoid being criticized for ND's crunch than that's bullshit, I'm sorry. Having an axe to grind with the company should not affect scores, period

Feeling a cool 94-96 personally. I’d be very, very surprised if this doesn’t win GOTY, though God only knows when Geoff is at the wheel.

EDIT: Anyone saying they’ll be harsh towards TOTK simply for being a Switch game clearly hasn’t been paying attention to the reception for Xenoblade 3 or even Pokémon. Plus, it’s EPD under Aonuma; these guys are some of the best at working with the hardware. I’d be very surprised if most reviewers took a significant amount of points off for being 30 FPS.

There's no way it scores lower than 96. Ppl keep saying that the review landscape is different now which I don't see it at all. Didn't Gow Ragnarok scored 95 by being the safest sequel ever?
Based on the impressions so far Totk is not a Bote sequel, it's a landmark in video games that will evolve sandbox gaming in a higher degree.
This is locked 96 and I can see going up to 98. It all depends how many 5/10 clickbait contrarians will metacritic take in account. For example I can see Kotaku giving it 7/10 just to spite Nintendo for blacklisting them.

There's no way it scores lower than 96. Ppl keep saying that the review landscape is different now which I don't see it at all. Didn't Gow Ragnarok scored 95 by being the safest sequel ever?
Based on the impressions so far Totk is not a Bote sequel, it's a landmark in video games that will evolve sandbox gaming in a higher degree.
This is locked 96 and I can see going up to 98. It all depends how many 5/10 clickbait contrarians will metacritic take in account. For example I can see Kotaku giving it 7/10 just to spite Nintendo for blacklisting them.
I don't think Kotaku does review scores anyways

Kotaku bringing back numbered scores just for this to spite Nintendo would be honestly pretty funny

Like, petty as all hell but still funny

95-96 glowing impressions from both previews and people playing leaked copies. I think it’ll come in a point or two less than BOTW due to the usual hardware complaints.

I don't remember the last time a game reached 98 on Metacritic so that would be cool to see, but not really expecting it.

Also just want to say that ALBW is the best handheld Zelda by far, and I don't really understand why the console Zelda games seem to have a built in Metacritic advantage over it just due to being on home console? Why is being on home console something that reviewers seem to value?

The reviewers would literally fear for their lives if they rated it any lower than a 9/10. The death threats alone will ensure that TOTK has a high floor when it comes to review scores.

I don't remember the last time a game reached 98 on Metacritic so that would be cool to see, but not really expecting it.

Also just want to say that ALBW is the best handheld Zelda by far, and I don't really understand why the console Zelda games seem to have a built in Metacritic advantage over it just due to being on home console? Why is being on home console something that reviewers seem to value?

Console games in general get an advantage over handheld games when it comes to critical reception, just how 3D games get an inherent advantage over 2D games when it comes to reviews. Production values and being in the "correct" game genres are the single most important factors when it comes to review scores.

Only certain types of games are allowed to score highly, it's the video game equivilent of oscar bait. It's just the reality of the video game review landscape.

Last edited:
Feeling a cool 94-96 personally. I’d be very, very surprised if this doesn’t win GOTY, though God only knows when Geoff is at the wheel.

EDIT: Anyone saying they’ll be harsh towards TOTK simply for being a Switch game clearly hasn’t been paying attention to the reception for Xenoblade 3 or even Pokémon. Plus, it’s EPD under Aonuma; these guys are some of the best at working with the hardware. I’d be very surprised if most reviewers took a significant amount of points off for being 30 FPS.
yup, this idea that stable 30fps is bad is kind of funny to me. as long as it's stable most of the time it's playable, it's unstable 30 or 60 fps dips that are really noticeable and can hurt a gaming experience.

there are ERA threads complaining about how current console games don't look next-gen and it's like, yeah, that is the trade-off of rendering state-of-the-art graphics at 60fps. consoles have always been about this trade-off and it will come down to what you value more.

either way, i am sure most critics will take into account that it's a Switch game punching well above its weight. based on early accounts it's also a massive AAA open-world sandbox game that isn't riddled with bugs and has a ton of polish. something that is becoming incredibly rare in this industry as these games become increasingly complex.

The reviewers would literally fear for their lives if they rated it any lower than a 9/10. The death threats alone will ensure that TOTK has a high floor when it comes to review scores.
Sounds like any AAA first party release

I think the main complaints will be the controls being complex and unintuitive, and maybe some of the other issues with mechanics being tedious or something.

Expecting a 95. I’m concerned it being “BotW but more” and the $10 extra charge is going to be a recurring topic in a lot of reviews

I think the main complaints will be the controls being complex and unintuitive, and maybe some of the other issues with mechanics being tedious or something.
I think if they were giving the review after 20 hours they would complain about the controls, but by the time they finish the game 50 plus hours later they will be so used to the controls they will not complain much and just say it takes time to get used to. Not much if any points docked in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom