• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Predict Tears of the Kindom Metacritic Score!

What will ToTK's final metacritc score be?

• 98-100

• 95-97

• 91-94

• 85-90

• under 84

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
95, got 0 doubts lol, reviews will be a bit harsh about perfomance/playing on old hardware, plus although totk will be the better game, it will not impact as much as botw for obvious reasons

controls being hard to grasp at first and performance are those kinda complaints that scream “we’ll talk about it in the review but not really dock points for it”

I really have a hard time seeing this go below 90. Fire Emblem Three Houses and Xenoblade 3 are at 89. Those are amazing games, but the quality control is even higher for Zelda

yup, this idea that stable 30fps is bad is kind of funny to me. as long as it's stable most of the time it's playable, it's unstable 30 or 60 fps dips that are really noticeable and can hurt a gaming experience.

there are ERA threads complaining about how current console games don't look next-gen and it's like, yeah, that is the trade-off of rendering state-of-the-art graphics at 60fps. consoles have always been about this trade-off and it will come down to what you value more.

either way, i am sure most critics will take into account that it's a Switch game punching well above its weight. based on early accounts it's also a massive AAA open-world sandbox game that isn't riddled with bugs and has a ton of polish. something that is becoming incredibly rare in this industry as these games become increasingly complex.
Yeah I really doubt this game is going to get docked for Switch specs

Hell, if anything it might get points for that due to how impressive it is that a game like this is running as good as it is on Switch hardware.

If Scarlet and Violet, the best mainline games since the early 2000s, could get a sub 80 it's gonna take a toll.

ScarVio having shoddy framerate and performance issues are just one of the many reasons those games scored as low as they did.

Even taking it as "the best mainline games", they're still a pretty crap open world game. Xenoblade 3 and its expansion are at just below and just above 90, because they're not fundamentally flawed titles.

ScarVio having shoddy framerate and performance issues are just one of the many reasons those games scored as low as they did.

Even taking it as "the best mainline games", they're still a pretty crap open world game. Xenoblade 3 and its expansion are at just below and just above 90, because they're not fundamentally flawed titles.
xenoblade 3 is another example of a game that scored lower because it's a switch game for sure

Going with 95. I think it’ll be massively acclaimed but a little below BotW because that got bonus points for being a completely new direction for Zelda.

This is the big one, after a couple of big missteps this is finally the time where it can't miss, the 89 curse will finally take is greatest victim with TotK and we'll party through the fires of the metacritic discourse, metroid prime re and future redeemed don't mean nothing the 89 curse will win.

I’m thinking 97.

Reviewers may acknowledge that it doesn’t have the same impact as Breath of the Wild in some ways, but it’s impossible to ignore just much it improves on the formula, and that the experience is still (largely) unmatched in the industry.

if Jedi Survivor got good scores despite it's techical issues, I think TOTK will be fine

Spawnwave said something interesting on the Spawncast- they all talk about it like it’s a game that should be sitting in the 90s, but it settled lower than that due to technical issues.

That said, I don’t think Zelda will have technical issues at all. I think it’s going to be incredibly polished, and mostly feel like it’s hitting native resolution in handheld and 900p on docked, even with notable draw distance improvements. That’s really not enough to damage it’s review average.

Honestly besides extreme cases like Pokemon performance doesn't usually make that much of a dent in reviews.

Something as small as 30 vs 60 fps definitely won't

Honestly besides extreme cases like Pokemon performance doesn't usually make that much of a dent in reviews.

Something as small as 30 vs 60 fps definitely won't

Definitely not. I do think Xenoblade probably did get docked here and there for still targeting, and often missing, 720p, which just doesn’t look great on modern TVs (to me at least). Zelda is going to have a much cleaner image than that.

I don’t care about review scores at all, but how many major outlets have ditched them since 2017 and how many don’t even exist anymore? Smaller pool likely results in lower average. Doesn’t metacritc weight scores from certain outlets too? Guess it all depends on what those are and their formula (maybe they got rid of that though).

I don’t care about review scores at all, but how many major outlets have ditched them since 2017 and how many don’t even exist anymore? Smaller pool likely results in lower average. Doesn’t metacritc weight scores from certain outlets too? Guess it all depends on what those are and their formula (maybe they got rid of that though).
arguably more use scores now then before

TotK will be my game of the life, but I can see how maybe it doesn't enchant as much as BotW, I think mechanics like Fuse and UltraHand might not click for everyone.

It will be a bigger and better game than BotW but won't have the same impact (I mean BotW basically defined the adventure/open world games for the following decade).

I don't expect GoW Ragnarok/Galaxy 2 trend of having the same score as the previous game to happen. Reviews of Switch games in 2023 are much harsher than they were in 2017.

BotW is the absolute roof, so no more than 97. The floor is Skyward Sword, so no less than 93. I'm going with 94-96, so voted 95-97.

If Scarlet and Violet, the best mainline games since the early 2000s, could get a sub 80 it's gonna take a toll.
Might also be worth considering that others probably don’t necessarily agree S/V are “the best mainline games since the early 2000s” even with the tech issues excepted

Considering Gene Park's recent tweets of him cumming in his pants while playing ToTK, I'm gonna say 97 again.

97. It’ll match it. I think some people are really overthinking it. After seeing Star Wars score I think it’s clear that gameplay, innovation, etc. matters a lot more.

I think people are underestimating how innovative and impactful TotK will be. Mechanics like Fuse and Ultrahand are going to be added to dozens of games over the next decade, just like climbing and gliding were after BotW.

I see the game getting a 97 again, although there is a possibility that the re-used overworld doesn't sit well with people. A lot of people liked BotW solely because they enjoyed exploring a brand new world, but TotK might not focus on that.

Personally, I just want to see that Nintendo has fixed a lot of the problems I had with BotW, so Metascore doesn't matter much to me.

xenoblade 3 is another example of a game that scored lower because it's a switch game for sure

Xenoblade scored lower than a 90 because the systems were far too complex and convoluted for a number of reviewers- technical constraints were a fairly minimal factor IIRC.

I expect 97.

The score will get lowered by Jim Sterling like last time and with Metroid Prime Remastered.

96. I cant wait for the "Its Nintendo" argument about the score. I remember the blockbuster Mario Tennis with that 90 meta lol.

98 - 100.

This will be the game of the year. It might be so good that they award it the game of next year too.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game with MC expectations THIS high. I fully believe TotK will be a great game, I just hope reviewers with different opinions don’t get harassed.

I’m predicting a 93 FWIW

went with 95-97. I can see it going as low as 93 and as high as 97 though.
Yeah I really doubt this game is going to get docked for Switch specs

Hell, if anything it might get points for that due to how impressive it is that a game like this is running as good as it is on Switch hardware.
This is kind of how I feel tbh. Especially right now as so many games on other consoles and PC are coming out broken or with very noticeable technical issues. And I'm not just talking Redfalls 7fps main screen lol.

I'm a little surprised with how seamless the game seems to be with everything going on, especially with the sky islands. I half expected minor stutters when flying and all of that but I didn't notice any.

Everyone playing the game has nothing but extreme praise for it, so I'd be shocked if it scored below 93.

What would be considered a disappointing score for totk? No zelda game has gotten under 93 if I'm correct. So a 92 (which is a great score) would still put it at the bottom of the 3d zelda list. There's also a lot riding on this game in general combining the facts that it's the sequel to botw and the longest zelda wait ever.

93-94 I think.

Also lmao at Skyward Sword having 93. The Zelda bias was real back then because it was a solid 8/10 at best

Around 92-93. I think people are underestimating how familiar the experience will feel to some reviewers because of extensive asset re-use; it's refinement, not revolution, which is what really set BotW apart in 2017. Simply adding 'more more more' makes the existing experience even more amazing, but it also becomes less impactful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom