• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters

Lelouch0612

Growing Install Base
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokemon_Brilliant_Diamond_and_Shining_Pearl_-_Art_1-3.jpg

Release date : November 19th 2021
Genre : RPG
File size : 6.7 GB
Generation : 8

Revisit the Sinnoh region and story of Pokémon™ Diamond and Pearl Versions​

Experience the nostalgic story from the Pokémon™ Diamond & Pearl Versions games in a reimagined adventure, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, now on the Nintendo Switch™ system! Adventures in the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl games will take place in the familiar Sinnoh region. Rich in nature and with mighty Mount Coronet at its heart, Sinnoh is a land of many myths passed down through the ages. You’ll choose either Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup to be your first partner Pokémon and then set off on your journey to become the Champion of the Pokémon League. Along the way, you’ll run into the mysterious organization Team Galactic, and be able to encounter the Legendary Pokémon Dialga or Palkia.

pokemon-gen-4-starters.jpg

Which starter will you choose between Turtwig (left), Chimchar (middle) and Piplup (right) ?

Explore the revamped Grand Underground or put on a Super Contest Show
The Underground from the Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions games has been powered up and is now called the Grand Underground. Here, you can dig up valuable treasure and Pokémon Fossils, create your own Secret Base, and catch Pokémon in places called Pokémon Hideaways. When you aren’t exploring in the Grand Underground, enter a Super Contest Show! Super Contest Shows are popular events in the Sinnoh region, each put on by four performers and their partner Pokémon, who work together to dance and show off their performance skills. You can also adventure in the Grand Underground or put on a Super Contest Show with other players through the local communication or online communication of your Nintendo Switch system !

yx6bEGpJrvWSE6BHgERYPY.jpg
One of the big addition of the games is the Pokémon Hideways, available in the Undergrounds. You'll find there roaming Pokémon, expanding the possibilities for your team !

Walk with your Pokémon, change up your style, and customize your Poké Balls
Choose a Pokémon that you’ve befriended during your journey to walk along behind you in the game. In the relaxing Amity Square you can walk with up to 6 Pokémon! Depending on the Pokémon, you’ll see different gestures or ways of walking, and when you talk to your Pokémon, it will respond. You’ll also be able to add your own personal style! Choose a variety of outfits and coordinate tops and bottoms. Some are based around Pokémon motifs and others change your hairstyle. You can even use Capsule Decoration to add stickers to customize the effects that appear when your Pokémon comes out of its Poké Ball™ !

Get a special Pokémon Egg and the Platinum Style outfit as special early-purchase bonus!
A Manaphy Egg will be gifted to early purchasers of either the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond or Pokémon Shining Pearl games. You can receive it by choosing Get via internet in the Mystery Gift feature in your game. Then, leave Manaphy with the Pokémon Nursery to get an Egg containing Phione!
A gift of the “Platinum Style” in-game outfit will also be given as a perk for early purchasers. You can change your outfit at Metronome Style Shop in Veilstone City.

4580ff7b41.jpg

In addition to Manaphy, you can receive Mew and/or Jirachi if you have save data of the Let's Go games and/or Sword/Shield.

Download the digital version for Quick Balls!
If you purchase and download the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond or Pokémon Shining Pearl game from Nintendo eShop by Monday February 21, 2022 at 3:59PM PT, you’ll receive a code****** that can be redeemed through the Mystery Gift feature for 12 Quick Balls. Use a Quick Ball right after a battle starts. You will have a better chance of catching a wild Pokémon right away. The code will be valid through Monday, February 28, 2022 at 3:59PM PT.

Look Forward to Online Communication Features
For players looking forward to Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl, there will be a software update (v. 1.1.0) available on November 11, 2021, ahead of the games’ release. With this software update (v 1.1.0), players will be able to enjoy communication features in the Grand Underground, Super Contest Shows, and the Union Room, receive special items via Mystery Gift, and visit Ramanas Park after entering the Hall of Fame.
At launch, a maximum of two players will be able to battle and trade Pokémon in the Union Room. A software update will be released in the future that will allow for additional players to join you.

Pokémon exclusives per Version

pokemon-version-exclusives.jpeg

Q&A

• Should I download the Day 1 patch before playing ? Yes ! Several key elements are included in the patch and it is therefore almost mandatory to download it
  • Is the Share Exp back ? Yes and it is always on
  • Is the game balanced around that ? Apparently yes. Even by beating every Pokémon trainer, you'll come underleved at the Pokémon League. You can also access your box at anytime like in the past two games so that you can rotate your team (Pokémon in the box don't get EXP)
  • Should I pick the Pearl or Diamond version ? It'll depend on which exclusive Pokémon you'll prefer
  • Is the game going to be compatible with Pokémon Home ? Yes, the integration is planned for 2022
  • I can't seem to find any Fire Pokémon, where should I look ? The Pokémon Hideways in the Undergrounds

Related ressources :

Review thread : 78 MC/79 OC
Leak thread
Pre-release ST
Overview trailer

I hope you'll find the OP comprehensive enough. I was not meant to make the ST but since the game released and nobody chime in, I had to make something for the people wanting to chat about the games :)

Last edited:
I just received the copies but I'll be waiting until the night to play with friends together. Going which Chimchar but I'll try to diversify my team and go outside of my confort zone !

Ours came in this morning, so probably going to start tonight. I originally went with Chimchar, and I used one in USUM a couple of years ago, so I'll be picking Turtwig this time. Piplup is my boyfriend's #1 Pokemon so he gets dibs on that.
The sharp corners where the land meets the water on the bottom left here make me sick lol.

The game with my favorite starter; Piplup!
Just got home with the game in the mail so I'll dive in 😎

My copy should come today, too bad I have to work super late tonight. Got to go with piplup; they're the one I used in my first playtrough originally.

I also want to try and use honchcrow instead of staraptor. Blasphemy, I know.

The sharp corners where the land meets the water on the bottom left here make me sick lol.

I think it looks cute lol That look would be amazing for a new Mystery Dungeon. I wonder why the overworld doesn't look more detailed like that, probably to remain faithful (ugh). Would be interesting to see what ILCA could do with a less restrict framework, hopefully this is a test drive and they will get more freedom with the next games.

I think it looks cute lol That look would be amazing for a new Mystery Dungeon. I wonder why the overworld doesn't look more detailed like that, probably to remain faithful (ugh). Would be interesting to see what ILCA could do with a less restrict framework, hopefully this is a test drive and they will get more freedom with the next games.

It will be a faithful remake to Black and White :p

Gonna grab this eventually. Was day one but wanted to wait and see the whole package.

Going to quote the initial impressions I posted last night in the RPG thread:
So, initial impressions of BDSP:
  • The art has improved, but a lot of the characters still look pretty weird, and I'm still not a big fan of chibi sprites translated to 3D.
  • There's a whole lot of random stuff about the game's interface that feels off and generally not as polished as Game Freak's games. The boxes in particular feel really bad to use.
  • The battle status page is inexplicably gone, which just leaves me baffled. I really thought we were beyond the days where you just needed to remember every detail about the current state of the Pokémon and field.
  • Roark gave me a bit of a challenge, which I wasn't expecting
  • Moving diagonally does not interact well with the game's collision
  • I had to restart the game because my Pokétch glitched into a state where I couldn't actually interact with it.
  • If we really had to keep the dumb Mystery Gift unlock thing, surely there was a better way to handle that than this:
    wif1xG1.jpg
Overall this really makes me appreciate just how good Game Freak is at tight, responsive controls, because man does this game just feel kinda bad to interact with.
Really feels weird to have my takeaways from a turn based RPG be so focused on the controls, but that's just sort of what happened. A mainline Pokémon game hasn't felt this bad to control to me since the 3DS entries where the system was really struggling to run the battles. Hopefully at least some of these issues can be patched.

The gift legendary Pokemon being so low leveled (1 for Mew and 5 for Jirachi) is so awesome. Makes them usable during the playthrough!

So I'm watching a streamer who discovered that if he set the time on your switch to before when the save file was created the game will crash. Don't think this'll be an issue for 99% of people but some Animal Crossing players may walk into it.

So I'm watching a streamer who discovered that if he set the time on your switch to before when the save file was created the game will crash. Don't think this'll be an issue for 99% of people but some Animal Crossing players may walk into it.
Damn, there's a throwback to Pokémon XD, which actively checked for stuff like this and wouldn't save if there was a discrepancy.

The great feeling is slowly rushing in that I'm actually playing Diamond and Pearl on my Switch. It feels great once you get past the boring first couple towns and you start seeing variety around Floaroma Town.

Also, side note, I noticed something funny. At 10AM, the overworld daylight changed, and the clouds reset their locations. It was really obvious when they just... disappeared. Lol

c9AePcQ.jpg

Picked up my copy earlier, but won't get the opportunity to play it until later. Had to go on a bit of a journey to get it (the Walmart I normally go to for Nintendo games said they "didn't get it" (yeah, sure), so I had to make a detour. Now to think about a starter...

Going to quote the initial impressions I posted last night in the RPG thread:

Really feels weird to have my takeaways from a turn based RPG be so focused on the controls, but that's just sort of what happened. A mainline Pokémon game hasn't felt this bad to control to me since the 3DS entries where the system was really struggling to run the battles. Hopefully at least some of these issues can be patched.

Omg i thought it was just me but yeah the movement feels so odd? I dunno what it is

What are the technical hiccups, exactly?
Speaking purely from personal experience, in just the first few hours of playing, I had to reboot the game because the Pokétch glitched into an uninteractable state. There's also a lot of minor game feel issues that sort of add up.

Speaking purely from personal experience, in just the first few hours of playing, I had to reboot the game because the Pokétch glitched into an uninteractable state. There's also a lot of minor game feel issues that sort of add up.
Mm. I see. The consequences of a newer developer and a different engine I suppose.

Ooooof I still plan on buying a digital copy this weekend, but man this seems like a technical disaster that shouldn’t have been so. There is a solid 8.5 game m
There's a lot of hyperbole about this game. In no way is it a "technical disaster".

Something I noticed when starting...why is the water so nice looking? Moment I entered Lake Verity I turned into that guy on Miiverse who just posted pictures of games with the caption "nice water". It's so mesmerizing to watch.

Seems like there's still a few technical issues to be ironed out, already had a game crash that corrupted my save. Guessing Ilca didn't implement the backup save the main games have.

Other than that though I'm enjoying Brilliant Diamond well enough. Actually ended up having a decent bit of trouble with the Jupiter fight in Eterna. Did not expect her Skuntank to have flamethrower this early in the game, it really screwed me since I'm doing a dual type run with grass and steel. Hopefully the difficulty keeps up, though I'm already starting to feel the effects of the exp. share.

This is not a new issue with BDSP, but the lack of touchscreen support in the menus hurts a lot more because this is a remake of Diamond and Pearl and because they did implement it for the Pokétch.

Huh? What technical disaster?
"Disaster" is maybe hyperbolizing a bit, but this game does seem pretty buggy and unpolished. I personally had to reboot the game to regain access to my Pokétch because it just stopped working.

This is not a new issue with BDSP, but the lack of touchscreen support in the menus hurts a lot more because this is a remake of Diamond and Pearl and because they did implement it for the Pokétch.

"Disaster" is maybe hyperbolizing a bit, but this game does seem pretty buggy and unpolished. I personally had to reboot the game to regain access to my Pokétch because it just stopped working.
Touchscreen is so weird in switch Era. So many games don’t support it when it feels like it suppose to have support.

Really liking the game more than anticipated so far, even though I still am not the biggest fan of mandatory Exp for all party members.

On the topic of trading, is anyone interested in a Mew that's nicknamed "Mew3?" just got one in the online trade room after evolving their kadabra and trading it back. (It seems to be the one you get in floaroma town when you have a Let's Go save file) I dont really have a use for it because I can get my own later on. ^^

I would really like a Piplup in exchange because I want to play with a second starter this time around. ^^

E: Never mind, I just managed to get a Chimchar. XD

Last edited:
So since my Let's Go save got lost in one of my Switch system transfers, I just had to boot it up to make sure I'd have a save to get the gift Pokemon in BDSP and then Legends. And man, it is such an unbelievably cute and pretty game. That's the style they should have stuck with for BDSP, like it does Chibi without looking cheap.

Pokemon center still hasn't given me a shipping notification, and I'm going to be a little upset if it doesn't arrive today. It's basically buying it from the source!

Game feels homey, played a bit over an hour. 9 Pokemon in the Pokedex, everything's good so far.

I was originally gonna get BDSP, but the shipment got delayed. Alas. I'll have to join the adventure tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it!

This. Maybe I was a tad extreme with disaster, but I’ve seen a lot of reports on bugs and polish.

I bought a copy anyways, but won’t have time to play til Sunday.

Had to go with Piplup for once. I usually choose Chimchar, but wanted to try something different. So far I like the game! I only beat the first gym.

The great feeling is slowly rushing in that I'm actually playing Diamond and Pearl on my Switch. It feels great once you get past the boring first couple towns and you start seeing variety around Floaroma Town.

Also, side note, I noticed something funny. At 10AM, the overworld daylight changed, and the clouds reset their locations. It was really obvious when they just... disappeared. Lol

I'll pick this up eventually (SMTV owns me right now), but this is a good reminder that while I like Sinnoh, I'm not a huge fan of the early parts of the game. Most of my favorite stuff doesn't happen until you get to Mt. Coronet or later, from what I remember.

Hmmm my game just straight up crashed after inserting my rival's name. That's strange.

edit: It happened only once.

I'll pick this up eventually (SMTV owns me right now), but this is a good reminder that while I like Sinnoh, I'm not a huge fan of the early parts of the game. Most of my favorite stuff doesn't happen until you get to Mt. Coronet or later, from what I remember.

God SMTV will not release me from its clutches. I'm hopelessly addicted. Just got to the third area and I feel great.

Back
Top Bottom