• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters
I don't know why the Underground is so addicting when i'm only hammering at walls to get red/blue spheres, but it is. I only have two badges so far lol Right now i'm grinding for a Shiny Stone via Pick-Up to prepare for Togekiss later.

I don't know why the Underground is so addicting when i'm only hammering at walls to get red/blue spheres, but it is. I only have two badges so far lol Right now i'm grinding for a Shiny Stone via Pick-Up to prepare for Togekiss later.
This is exactly where I am too! Also entering those beauty contest showcase things. Haaaaate making poffins though so that will probably put an end to entering those and I’ll get back to the actual game.

Still makes no sense
It definitely does if you read it and realize that I already said gen 5 has the same map design style as 6-8, it just has additional factors relating to pacing and storytelling that make up for that, factors that 6-8 lack and which makes their similarly linearly designed maps seem empty and unfulfilling by comparison.

As I said. Read again. Get the full context.

It definitely does if you read it and realize that I already said gen 5 has the same map design style as 6-8, it just has additional factors relating to pacing and storytelling that make up for that, factors that 6-8 lack and which makes their similarly linearly designed maps seem empty and unfulfilling by comparison.

Gen 7 and 8 definitely don’t have the same map design though, and I disagree that gen 5 does anything differently in terms of pacing or story compared to gen 6 to change anything in any case. Don’t understand what you even mean by empty at this point as you’re talking about completely different aspects of the games all at once.

Wanted to buy the punk style outfit but it's 120,000 and i only had 112,000. Do we get more clothes choice later in the game?

This is exactly where I am too! Also entering those beauty contest showcase things. Haaaaate making poffins though so that will probably put an end to entering those and I’ll get back to the actual game.
I haven't tried the contests yet, but my memory from making poffins in the originals i wasn't that great at it lol

Looks like BDSP completely shattered Dread's sales success. Well deserved imo
What?

Gen 7 and 8 definitely don’t have the same map design though, and I disagree that gen 5 does anything differently in terms of pacing or story compared to gen 6 to change anything in any case. Don’t understand what you even mean by empty at this point as you’re talking about completely different aspects of the games all at once.
They’re not different aspects. All of them are inextricably tied together and have impact on the broader game development philosophies that these titles end up exhibiting as a whole.

6, 7, and 8 all feature increasingly linear designs, with few branching paths, loads of clear signposting, and no rewards for trying to go off the beaten path. The big difference in how 6-8 treat map design versus the older ones is clear when you see how they handle dungeons compared to the older games.

5 is where this style of design originated, but 5 a) didn’t go as hard into this as subsequent games did (it still has meaty rewards for exploration and some pretty substantial dungeons) and b) relied on some great forward momentum generated by a rather well paced story to compensate for the relative lack of complexity in map design; given that 6 and especially 8 both lacked that story momentum, while doubling down on the streamlined map design in 5, they end up feeling far more unfulfilling games than 5 did in this regard in spite of all three games having, at least superficially, similar map design philosophies. 7 to its credit does have a fairly emphasized narrative that can counterbalance its map, but said map is the most linear in the series, more than 5, 6, or 8, so that comes with its own set of issues.

lmfao my boyfriend’s game just glitched after he caught a Scyther, asking him “what should Eric Dier’s nickname be?” We were wondering why, then someone using that name returned to the surface, so I guess the game got confused. Reminds me of when LGPE would say “[Player name] used an [item]” when the rival used one.

I think Gen 8's level design started off as an attempt to get level design "back on track" after Gen 7, which was pretty featureless and full of short routes. I definitely feel like they wanted to go back to pre-7 designs there. however, at some point, they must have decided on doing the wild area, which caused a major shake up.

I think Gen 8's level design started off as an attempt to get level design "back on track" after Gen 7, which was pretty featureless and full of short routes. I definitely feel like they wanted to go back to pre-7 designs there. however, at some point, they must have decided on doing the wild area, which caused a major shake up.
I think it’s a mixture of that as well as a clearly truncated development cycle that caused the issues with 8, yeah. Because you can see that they did try to backtrack on the design decisions from 7 that received the most criticism. They just couldn’t do it well, for whatever the reasons might be.

lmfao my boyfriend’s game just glitched after he caught a Scyther, asking him “what should Eric Dier’s nickname be?” We were wondering why, then someone using that name returned to the surface, so I guess the game got confused. Reminds me of when LGPE would say “[Player name] used an [item]” when the rival used one.

This happened to me too! I took a video. I was so confused lol.

I was online in the Grand Underground, and my unnamed Geodude evolved after a battle.

It straight up said "What? Your SpookyPoop is evolving!"

I audibly said "what the fuck".

After it was done, it even called it by a different name lol.

I personally don't like it since the map design is critical for me, but I think gen 5 is still a good game because it tries a lot of new different things despite its map being so bad, while gen 6 keeps the bad map (and makes it even worse, with less side detours along the way) but also does away with any of the creativity that gen 5 had.

While gen 5 brought the largest number of new mon designs, gen 6 has the least, and relies on old designs and Megas, which is a cheap and derivative concept by definition. The story is probably the best part of BW and and of the worst parts of XY. BW knows its map is simple so it at least trusts the player doesn't need much guidance, while XY doubles down and is extremely annoying with its handholdness even if the region is a series of corridors.

But in terms of map design, they are the same. BW is unfortunately the start of the Pokémon downfall to me, as much as people love it.

This right here absolutely ensures I will not be bending to nostalgia and picking this up. Return of random encounters only is so disappointing, onto Arceus.

I personally don't like it since the map design is critical for me, but I think gen 5 is still a good game because it tries a lot of new different things despite its map being so bad, while gen 6 keeps the bad map (and makes it even worse, with less side detours along the way) but also does away with any of the creativity that gen 5 had.

While gen 5 brought the largest number of new mon designs, gen 6 has the least, and relies on old designs and Megas, which is a cheap and derivative concept by definition. The story is probably the best part of BW and and of the worst parts of XY. BW knows its map is simple so it at least trusts the player doesn't need much guidance, while XY doubles down and is extremely annoying with its handholdness even if the region is a series of corridors.

But in terms of map design, they are the same. BW is unfortunately the start of the Pokémon downfall to me, as much as people love it.
Oh I definitely understand and even agree; I think the weaker map in Gen 5 holds it from being as great as Gens 1/2/4 for me (with a better map it would probably easily be my favorite). And yeah, I do think that, as much as people might not want to admit it, so many of the tendencies and design decisions people hate in Pokemon today originally started with these two games.

But with all that said, I will say that B/W did so much else that was so good, that they compensated for their weakness in this area and then some; on the other hand, as you point out, X/Y and onwards double down on B/W's worst tendencies, emphasize and exaggerate them further, and also fail to build on B/W's strengths in the process. Leads to significantly weaker games overall.

But yes, Gen 4 was peak Pokemon.

I had this happen once too. Was really weird lol

Just beat Volkner and I gotta say the fears around the exp. share and affection buffs were definitely pretty well founded. Most of my team was a good 5-7 levels above his best and for the two gyms before that I was nearly 10 levels ahead, despite actively avoiding some trainers and not grinding at all. Really hope a toggle is patched in at some point or at least a mod let's you disable them cause the new movesets and items seem like they'd be really interesting to fight but I don't actually get to see them in action when everything dies in 1 or 2 hits. Hopefully the League will be a bit better but if not at least the postgame fights are definitely gonna put up a challenge.

I disagree on a fundamental level that gen 6 does anything worse than gen 5 in terms of map design, level design and progression. We won’t come to an understanding here.

Also found gen 7 to have more intricate level design than gen 8 with the obvious exclusion of the open areas.

Also found gen 7 to have more intricate level design than gen 8 with the obvious exclusion of the open areas.
the difference I found in Gen 7 and Gen 8 was that Gen 7 felt more organic, but at the expense of "gaminess". Gen 8 brought the gaminess back, but lost the organic feel

the difference I found in Gen 7 and Gen 8 was that Gen 7 felt more organic, but at the expense of "gaminess". Gen 8 brought the gaminess back, but lost the organic feel
Any example? Because gen 7 even had overworld obstacles still, and more traditional dungeons like Po Town, Poni Canyon etc. I actually didn’t mind gen 8’s level design but still found gen 7 to be better

My brother is playing this (I have it but I want to finish SMTV before progressing much) and he had 2 crashes and 1 time his character glitched out of the map.

They really rushed this out for the holiday, I hope they keep patching it until it stable at least.

Let's keep this thread on track everyone, it is about the Gen 4 remakes and not Gen 5/6/7 map design ;)

I've made more progress - finished clearing out Eterna City and tomorrow I'll be going down Cycling Road to get to Hearthome. BDSP is scratching the exact itch I was hoping for, a solid classic style Pokemon game. Haven't run into the glitches people have been mentioning thankfully, besides a few repeat text strings when online in the Grand Underground.

Speaking of which, I spent a lot of time in the Grand Underground - I like how it's accessible for multiplayer over Wi-Fi. I can see myself doing a lot of Pokemon hunting in the post game. I got the Gligar I wanted to use in my team, though I don't think you can get its evolution item until the post game? Alas. I got other options to use if it doesn't work out.

For now, I got a main team of 4 - Prinplup, Staravia, Luxio and Gligar. But I also have a few reserves I can call in for specific battles, and they're all were around the gym's level. Maybe some of them will graduate to the main team, or maybe I'll go back into the Grand Underground for a few other special encounters. That being said, I'm about to get to the point where the next two gyms are at the same level - hard not to be over leveled for at least one of em.

So yeah, so far so good!

I've finally been diving in. Just got the first badge and heading to Eterna now. The low-budget and small scope of the game are evident, though I'm sure the very small dev team behind this did their best with the time and resources they were given. I'm still forming my team as I currently have Turtwig, Zubat, Staravia, Shellos, Luxio and Piplup.

I do have to say, though, I'm reeeally enjoying the remixed music. Easily the best part of the game so far.

A Shining Pearl guy over here, originally also had Pearl in the DS days when we were just a little kid. Currently about to head towards Spear Pillar for the story's big moment, but took a little break beforehand, mainly to sort out all the feelings about the game out.

Overall, this is Sinnoh at its purest and actually most fun form. We were originally part of the group worried about it missing Platinum's Battle Frontier, but now that is basically gone. The feeling of being back in Sinnoh for the first time in close to a decade, the new Grand Underground and it's addictiveness, the charm the game exudes, and the whole idea behind Ramanas Park make up for it. Though not only that, but also how it has helped to talk again with old acquaintances and classmates. Who have sent messages a la "Remember when we used to play Diamond & Pearl in elementary school" or just others asking for help, because they want to relive their memories, it's actually a bit magical.

A magic that has actually led us to talk the game slowly as possibly, and fully savor every part of it. We even left Lucas in his OG outfit, after being ready to change him into the Platinum outfit or the Leather one once we reached Veilstone. Since we simply want to get that original feel. Though no worries, since the Leather outfit will end up being his "Champion" outfit after we defeat Cynthia.

Now we head to Spear Pillar to see the story's climax unfold for the first time in years. After meeting once more with our usual Chimchar, and after communicating with old friends and going down through memory lane. At the end, the game turned out to be more magical, than we would had ever expected after the reveal trailer.

People talking about crashes and save data getting deleted has me nervous. Especially with no cloud saves. Haven't experienced any glitches yet. Still at Eterna city with the 2nd badge done.

@Serebii have you been able to confirm that Hideaway pokemon may have their hidden abilities? I haven't been able to find it on the site or anywhere else. Want to know before I start hunting for Flame Body ponytas now that I'm far enough to hatch eggs.

This right here absolutely ensures I will not be bending to nostalgia and picking this up. Return of random encounters only is so disappointing, onto Arceus.

Yup. It's incredibly annoying. You'll get random encounters multiple times in the same patch of grass. I got 4 battles trying to traverse through 3 patches of grass lol. Repels are going to come in clutch here.

Finally found a Skull Fossil. Apparently they can be found before postgame! They're just really rare.

EDIT:

brBwn38.jpg

Finally ready to move on from the Underground. \o/

Last edited:
After I finish up SMTV (probably in December) I was thinking of trying this out. So I have a few questions (as someone who never played Pokemon).
1) How easy is the game? I like to get a little challenge from my rpg's and
2) What is the game play loop exactly? Like is there a story, bosses?

I think the graphics look charming and it feels like I could use a more relaxing game after SMTV.

Thanks.

Who did Lumineon and Kricketune piss off to get shafted as badly as they did?? I really enjoy both designs and want to use them, but their stats and movepools are soooooo bad it makes nearly impossible, even in-game (and that's from somebody whose core team currently includes Pachirisu, Cherrim, Medicham, Girafarig and Beautifly)

Who did Lumineon and Kricketune piss off to get shafted as badly as they did?? I really enjoy both designs and want to use them, but their stats and movepools are soooooo bad it makes nearly impossible, even in-game (and that's from somebody whose core team currently includes Pachirisu, Cherrim, Medicham, Girafarig and Beautifly)

Lumineon has such a nice design it really does suck GF shafted it as i've wanted to use it too. At least it got play In Snap i guess.

Kricketune was like my star player in some parts and I think mine even has a terrible nature! But I may just be hyping the little guy up because he makes me laugh. I am someone who took a Delibird around most of Alola because I thought it deserved its day in the sun.

I will say that I think Sinnoh’s regional dex is really uninspiring, at least at the point I’m at. I see a lot of the same thing in the wild and a ton of trainers using duplicate teams and most of them are weak to the first few things I picked up. Even the underground is Budew and Geodude city.

After I finish up SMTV (probably in December) I was thinking of trying this out. So I have a few questions (as someone who never played Pokemon).
1) How easy is the game? I like to get a little challenge from my rpg's and
2) What is the game play loop exactly? Like is there a story, bosses?

I think the graphics look charming and it feels like I could use a more relaxing game after SMTV.

Thanks.

1) Pokémon has never been hard, but this game in particular is especially easy because it basically multiplies the amount of EXP you get by 6 compared to the originals, since now all Pokémon in your party get EXP for every battle, even if they don't participate. There are ways to go around this though. If you rotate between two teams of 6 Pokémon, they shouldn't get too overleveled, but it still won't be a tough game. Post game content should be challenging, though, according to the leaks.

2) You can fight wild Pokémon, which are catchable, and other trainers, who can use up to 6 Pokémon against you, and you can have up to 6 in your party as well (but you can have hundreds in the storage, which is accessible from anywhere so it's easy to rotate). Pokémon level up and learn new moves and evolve. There are cities, routes and dungeons. Routes connect the locations and have grass patches where you can find Pokémon, so you can avoid random encounters in them if you avoid the grass. There are 8 gyms spread across the cities where you will fight a gym leader, which are the game's bosses. Once you beat all 8 gyms, you get to challenge the Pokémon League, which consists of 4 elite trainers and then the Champion, which is the final boss. There is a story that involves dismantling an evil organization that wants to use legendary Pokémon to destroy the world or whatever, but it's very basic.

1) Pokémon has never been hard, but this game in particular is especially easy because it basically multiplies the amount of EXP you get by 6 compared to the originals, since now all Pokémon in your party get EXP for every battle, even if they don't participate.
Ehh that's not really true at all. That's not how the formula works.

And about the game being easy, I will disagree again, especially for newcommers. The 1st few Gyms can be troublesome for newcommers depending on their starter and the League is probably the thoughest.

Quoted by: Leo
Ehh that's not really true at all. That's not how the formula works.

And about the game being easy, I will disagree again, especially for newcommers. The 1st few Gyms can be troublesome for newcommers depending on their starter and the League is probably the thoughest.

How does it work then? If in DP a Pokémon would give you 100 exp, you now get 100 exp for all six Pokémon in your party, so 600 total. Or is it calculated differently? Unless of course you don't have six Pokémon in your party.

How does it work then? If in DP a Pokémon would give you 100 exp, you now get 100 exp for all six Pokémon in your party, so 600 total. Or is it calculated differently? Unless of course you don't have six Pokémon in your party.

If a Pokémon gives you 100exp for your battle Pokémon, the rest of your un-fainted Pokémon in your team get 50% each, so 50exp. I've seen some claims that the experience you get per Pokémon has been lowered but have not been able to find any confirmation.

Pokémon who do not participate only get 50% of the EXP they would normally earn if they had participated.

FEzNXvhaMAAMvKD

Gyarados and Gallade participated, so they get their full EXP yield, subject to modifiers, while the rest of the team gets half that amount.

To keep it simple, Pokémon that didn't take part of the battle receive 50% of the total. So x3.5.

But it is a bit more complicated than that now. The stronger in Lvl you are vs the Pokemon you beat, the less EXP you get.

If a Pokémon gives you 100exp for your battle Pokémon, the rest of your un-fainted Pokémon in your team get 50% each, so 50exp. I've seen some claims that the experience you get per Pokémon has been lowered but have not been able to find any confirmation.
The stronger your Pokemon is, the less XP it gets. You can see it in the pic provided below :
Pokémon who do not participate only get 50% of the EXP they would normally earn if they had participated.

FEzNXvhaMAAMvKD

Gyarados and Gallade participated, so they get their full EXP yield, subject to modifiers, while the rest of the team gets half that amount.
Rosalina and Torterra gain the same level of XP as they are the same level. But Pachirisu, which is stronger, gain less.

No idea what happened with Togepi tho :p

Basically the spread is design to limit you from being too overleveled and to bring weak Pokemon in a playable state quickier.

My Pokemon Center order finally "shipped" so I have tracking now. Currently estimated to arrive on Wednesday.

No super fussed about it being late (still deep in SMT), more annoyed that there was zero communication, especially when it was advertised to ship for a release day arrival. I won't be happy if this happens with my Legends Arceus order.

The stronger your Pokemon is, the less XP it gets. You can see it in the pic provided below :

Rosalina and Torterra gain the same level of XP as they are the same level. But Pachirisu, which is stronger, gain less.

No idea what happened with Togepi tho :p

Basically the spread is design to limit you from being too overleveled and to bring weak Pokemon in a playable state quickier.
Pachirisu has the friendship bonus, while Togepi doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom