• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters
I usually keep it for shinies. My first shiny was a Graveler in Gold/Silver and it self destructed. Didn't have the masterball yet.
I remember using my master ball for a shiny Swinub in Platinum. I believe that was my first shiny as well, outside of the red Gyarados.

So looks like the rumor was true the Switch firmware update made it so the menu glitch is harder to get to work. It keeps freezing the game and now Im in a battle when I wasn't standing in grass when I tried the menu glitch lol. Oh well I guess I should have done it sooner.

So there is a part of the underground I can't figure out how to get to. The one in the South East part of the map. Anyone know how to get there?

So there is a part of the underground I can't figure out how to get to. The one in the South East part of the map. Anyone know how to get there?
IIRC to get that part of the Underground you need to enter from Sunnyshore City or the areas surrounding it.

As a general rule:
Small central area: Celestic
Northwest area: Snowpoint
Southwest area: Twinleaf
Southeast area: Sunnyshore
Northeast area: Fight Area

Last edited:
I've been busy over the past few days, getting the remaining badges and finally beating Team Galactic.

While I won't call this game perfect - I think future Pokemon games have better characters, and the Pokedex is small if you don't go into the Grand Underground - man, I'm having a great time with this game. Part of it is the fact that Pokemon is my ultimate comfort food game, but even so, I missed Pokemon games having interesting dungeons and places to explore. BDSP reminds me of that joy of being on an adventure with your team more than any other Pokemon game on Switch.

While it would never happen, it'd be cool with original Pokemon games that served as throwbacks to the classic style, with top down levels (I'd even take the chibi aesthetic) while a separate branch of the main series goes in bolder directions with things similar but not limited to Legends: Arceus. Kinda like the split between 2D and 3D Mario, or 3D or Top Down Zelda.

I've been busy over the past few days, getting the remaining badges and finally beating Team Galactic.

While I won't call this game perfect - I think future Pokemon games have better characters, and the Pokedex is small if you don't go into the Grand Underground - man, I'm having a great time with this game. Part of it is the fact that Pokemon is my ultimate comfort food game, but even so, I missed Pokemon games having interesting dungeons and places to explore. BDSP reminds me of that joy of being on an adventure with your team more than any other Pokemon game on Switch.

While it would never happen, it'd be cool with original Pokemon games that served as throwbacks to the classic style, with top down levels (I'd even take the chibi aesthetic) while a separate branch of the main series goes in bolder directions with things similar but not limited to Legends: Arceus. Kinda like the split between 2D and 3D Mario, or 3D or Top Down Zelda.

I understand this sentiment, but at the same time I think modern Pokémon's problem isn't that it's 3D instead of top down, it's that it's not designed as it used to be. The 3D perspective could work perfectly well and translate the feeling of the older 2D games just fine, Dragon Quest managed to do that 15 years ago with VIII.

This is proven by the fact that the most recent game that was strictly top down (XY) is one of the most poor received entries and has all the problems that plague the franchise currently. GF would be capable of making a 3D game that evoked the feeling of the classic ones, they just don't seem to be interested in doing it.

even so, I missed Pokemon games having interesting dungeons and places to explore. BDSP reminds me of that joy of being on an adventure with your team more than any other Pokemon game on Switch
I think this is the prevailing sentiment, but man, I actually really enjoyed my time with my team in SwSh and felt the same in the Alola games. For me personally, I found the art direction and ideas behind a lot of those locations more interesting, and the dex more varied, so it actually felt constantly fresh even if the routes were a little more linear (though tbh I don't find Gen 4's routes particularly complex or exciting in comparison either). BDSP's dungeons are mostly brown caves, grey buildings, and a familiar haunted tower. I was glad to see the back of basically all of them when they were over.

I also found myself missing a lot of the interactivity with the team (through camping, or Pokemon Amie/Refresh) that made them feel more real rather than just tools for battle.

I really enjoyed BDSP, and I've been playing since Gen 1, but it didn't really make me wish we could go back. It made me appreciate what the series was then - and I'd love to see more remakes like this, either Gen 5 or even going back and doing Gen 2, since hey, DP do have those in-built Gen 2 links already! - but it also made me take stock of what I love about the recent entries as well (imo great regional dexes, great looking and feeling regions, closeness with your team, better characterisation and casts).

Huge improvement over LGPE though for me, those games just didn't click at all sadly. I put like 50-60 hours into these and I haven't even touched the post-game yet.

IIRC to get that part of the Underground you need to enter from Sunnyshore City or the areas surrounding it.

As a general rule:
Small central area: Celestic
Northwest area: Snowpoint
Southwest area: Twinleaf
Southeast area: Sunnyshore
Northeast area: Fight Area
Weird. I could have sworn I went in the underground at Sunnyshore when I first arrived but that is where I needed to go. I never got any crashes so no lost progress. Thanks

I understand this sentiment, but at the same time I think modern Pokémon's problem isn't that it's 3D instead of top down, it's that it's not designed as it used to be. The 3D perspective could work perfectly well and translate the feeling of the older 2D games just fine, Dragon Quest managed to do that 15 years ago with VIII.

This is proven by the fact that the most recent game that was strictly top down (XY) is one of the most poor received entries and has all the problems that plague the franchise currently. GF would be capable of making a 3D game that evoked the feeling of the classic ones, they just don't seem to be interested in doing it.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I think a 3D Pokemon game with good level design is totally possible, and I don't think "top down = good level design". This isn't a solution to a problem. I just really like the top down style Pokemon and want to see more (good) games in the style. I like my big, bold experiments and high budget experiences, but I also like my cozy, comfortable throwbacks. Again, I go back to 2D and 3D Mario/Zelda - both of those branches coexist and can be good.

If we're talking solutions, then we're talking development time to allow for greater scale and design approaches that let players explore rather than restrict them too heavily. All possible and done before in other JRPGs, like you said. Or perhaps if they still want linearity, packing routes and dungeons with interesting area design and having a story that better pushes the player forward. BW accomplished half of that, at least.
I think this is the prevailing sentiment, but man, I actually really enjoyed my time with my team in SwSh and felt the same in the Alola games. For me personally, I found the art direction and ideas behind a lot of those locations more interesting, and the dex more varied, so it actually felt constantly fresh even if the routes were a little more linear (though tbh I don't find Gen 4's routes particularly complex or exciting in comparison either). BDSP's dungeons are mostly brown caves, grey buildings, and a familiar haunted tower. I was glad to see the back of basically all of them when they were over.

I also found myself missing a lot of the interactivity with the team (through camping, or Pokemon Amie/Refresh) that made them feel more real rather than just tools for battle.

I really enjoyed BDSP, and I've been playing since Gen 1, but it didn't really make me wish we could go back. It made me appreciate what the series was then - and I'd love to see more remakes like this, either Gen 5 or even going back and doing Gen 2, since hey, DP do have those in-built Gen 2 links already! - but it also made me take stock of what I love about the recent entries as well (imo great regional dexes, great looking and feeling regions, closeness with your team, better characterisation and casts).

Huge improvement over LGPE though for me, those games just didn't click at all sadly. I put like 50-60 hours into these and I haven't even touched the post-game yet.
I do agree, I think the modern games have improved on the formula significantly in its characters and direct Pokemon interactivity. They're also quite a bit more diverse in area and Pokemon diversity, which is particularity noticable in DP Sinnoh. I won't say that I didn't like playing SWSH or SuMo, heck I got like 100 hours in each.

...but in the single player it can often feel like modern Pokemon area design is a lot of style and not a lot of substance? Towns are still good, and I love the look of the routes and areas, but occasionally in SuMo and especially in SWSH, actually going through those areas can be so...simple. Areas like Wela Volcano Park and the Galar Mines may look way better than pretty much any cave in Sinnoh, DP or Pt, but I'd rather be in most of the Sinnoh ones rather than their counterparts because I actually have to navigate through them.

I'm not going to turn this thread solely into a rant about Wela Volcano Park, I promise.

I think we can have both the modern advancements and good level design in one game. Top down, full 3D, either style really. I'm hoping games like Legends: Arceus can push them in more experimental directions that end up benefitting the more standard games, or they they'll take more time to develop their games. This generation's set up has given them a lot of leeway - an overall longer spread of time, an anime that goes everywhere and doesn't need to focus on Galar constantly - so there's a chance, maybe? I don't know.

Wasn't planning on getting either of these games, but it's been an enjoyable experience 4 badges in. Some of the highlights include the box and EXP Share (which should be toggle-able) making it much easier to get recently acquired Pokémon up to speed. The Pokétch app for HMs is very welcome. And the Grand Underground is as addictive as ever.

That being said, I do have some gripes. The menus are really sluggish and clunky, and while I'm on controls, the bike is abysmal. Having to manage friendship if you want to avoid affection bonuses is something I hope doesn't become a mainstay. Lastly, if you're not using the underground for catches, the 'dex is horrible, but that's more a "me" problem.

All that being said, I had a Pokémon itch, and BD is scratching it.

The normal Battle Tower deals out some pretty meager BP. I read that you get 20 BP for beating Palmer, but apparently he doesn't show his face in normal Doubles lol.

One thing that has started bugging me a bit is how many apps are in the Pokétch. I love the idea but having to cycle through like I think 13 of them (there might be even more that I haven't gotten yet?) to get to the HM app feels sluggish at best.

Found the time to beat the E4. Bertha gave me the most trouble for some reason lol. They are def one of the toughest E4, good at covering their weaknesses and the AI is fairly smart. My team is: Luxray, Lucario, Drapion, Gyarados, Togekiss, Torterra. Togekiss was the MVP despite having a neutral nature. Since i already carry over my old Pokemon from gen 3 upwards and my good Togekiss is from the original Platinum i didn't feel like putting too much time into getting another great one, but he did his job.

Shouldn't take long to explore the small postgame island then i'll get back to playing Monster Hunter Stories 2.

One thing that has started bugging me a bit is how many apps are in the Pokétch. I love the idea but having to cycle through like I think 13 of them (there might be even more that I haven't gotten yet?) to get to the HM app feels sluggish at best.
Yeah, that's very annoying and to be honest I think it's really poorly implemented. I only see three or four of the apps having any use, and even then I only really use the HM app frequently. If I remember correctly, the apps used to be on the bottom screen? I remember having the item radar thing on constantly because it worked really well on the DS, but it's just annoying here and quicker to just button mash in an area I think might have a hidden item lol.

Has anyone tried using any Pokemon they haven't given much love in the past this time around? I've grown to love Bronzong and Drapion. Always my favourite part of a run, warming up to things I've ignored before.

Yeah, that's very annoying and to be honest I think it's really poorly implemented. I only see three or four of the apps having any use, and even then I only really use the HM app frequently. If I remember correctly, the apps used to be on the bottom screen? I remember having the item radar thing on constantly because it worked really well on the DS, but it's just annoying here and quicker to just button mash in an area I think might have a hidden item lol.

Has anyone tried using any Pokemon they haven't given much love in the past this time around? I've grown to love Bronzong and Drapion. Always my favourite part of a run, warming up to things I've ignored before.
I've been using Exploud, Wigglytuff and Clefable for rematches and battle tree.

Platinum added a back button to make them easier to navigate through, but apparently including that wouldn't be "faithful".

Also I think there's like 20-something apps in total.

So I beat the game last night. Cynthia was as tough as they said she would be, and it took me many attempts to beat her. It wasn't her Garchomp that caused me problems - it was everyone else on the team. But pretty much everyone contributed to the fight in some way, and we came out on top - my favorite moment being Power Point stalling Garchomp into having no more attacks that harmed my team, then going to town.

d2d90c73dccba3e5759813dd57289ca8b6fda5fc.jpg

I still need to play the post game, and I need more time to reflect on the game's qualities, but I can say that I enjoyed my Sinnoh revisit, though it was not perfect. More than any of the remake pairs, this is going to be the one that's in the shadow of the third version the most, though the additional quality of life changes and the overall faster engine would be sorely missed going back even to Platinum.

I've been enjoying capturing Pokemon in the Underground after getting the National Dex. If anyone has a Pokemon they'd like to use during the main story (any of the other starters, or Gen 1-3 starters, etc) feel free to hit me up (note: I have Pearl). I just found a Ditto, so happy to help out if I can.

I am soooo ready to move on from pokeballs. I just used twenty to catch a Kricketune.

f2a3b51e0e6344ff5c087094987099570c4c9fbf.jpg

Despite getting myself an OLED, I still ended up using my older Lite to play Pokemon. Playing the game in portable just feels more right. While I personally prefer the graphics of SW/SH or even Let's Go, it has been a decently fun romp through Sinnoh so far. I wouldn't see myself investing too much time in the post-game though.

I'm also waiting for Pokemon Home connectivity to happen. Then I'll just send over Pokemon from SW/SH and Go to complete the Sinnoh Dex.

First time capturing all the Unowns!

Collecting all the Unown has never not been a tedious process, but having to stand in a corner using Sweet Scent because they threw like 20 of them into a single spawn table in a series of tiny rooms is certainly not the best iteration of it.

what did you all nickname your pokemon?

Torterra - George Bush
Bronzong - Isabell
Alakazam - Alan Kazam
Altaria - Cloudia
Machamp - Abe Domen
Octillery - Brentacle

what did you all nickname your pokemon?

Torterra - George Bush
Bronzong - Isabell
Alakazam - Alan Kazam
Altaria - Cloudia
Machamp - Abe Domen
Octillery - Brentacle
I went with a Major Arcana theme for my main team and the supporting cast, with the exception of one.

The Champions:
Empoleon - Empress
Staraptor - Chariot
Luxray, the one exception - Azura, though if she was following the theme I'd call her The Moon
Gliscor - The Tower
Gardevoir - [High] Pristess
Heracross - [Wheel of] Fortune

The Supporting Cast:
Bibarel: The Fool
Alakazam: Magician
Golem: The World
Machamp: Strength
Gengar: Death
Medicham: Hierophant
Clefable: The Star
Rapidash: The Sun
Blissey: Temperance
Gabite (still needs to evolve): The Hermit
Lucario: Judgement

So does anyone have any idea what the "gyroscope" option actually does? I had assumed it was something contest related or at least contest-adjacent, but I've yet to find something that seems to use motion controls at all.

Anybody have a spare Heracross? I want to start breeding one.

I've got most of the other rare things like Spiritomb and Feebas, just haven't had much luck with the honey trees.

Anybody have a spare Heracross? I want to start breeding one.

I've got most of the other rare things like Spiritomb and Feebas, just haven't had much luck with the honey trees.
I can let you borrow the Heracross on my team. Breed one, get an egg, then you can give me Heracross back and you can use the hatchling for whatever you want. Or you lend me a Ditto (my Heracross is male) and I get you the Heracross egg.

On that note, where is Ditto in BDSP? Is it in the Grand Underground or is it a swarm/radar encounter?

I can let you borrow the Heracross on my team. Breed one, get an egg, then you can give me Heracross back and you can use the hatchling for whatever you want. Or you lend me a Ditto (my Heracross is male) and I get you the Heracross egg.

On that note, where is Ditto in BDSP? Is it in the Grand Underground or is it a swarm/radar encounter?
I've got some extra dittos I can trade you if that works. They're in the underground and I think from the PokeRadar somewhere. I have several extras.

I've got some extra dittos I can trade you if that works. They're in the underground and I think from the PokeRadar somewhere. I have several extras.
Yeah, that could work. Gimme a Ditto and I'll give you some Pokemon to hold. Then I'll get you a Heracross egg that I'll trade back to you.

I'll be home in like an hour if you wanna do it tonight.

To put it in perspective (assuming first week is first calendar week)
Sword & Shield did around the same
Let's Go did around half of that at 3 million
Sun & Moon did 7.2 million in the first two weeks
X & Y did 4 million in 2 days
ORAS did 3 million

I was wondering if somebody had Larvitar Eggs or Yanma Eggs. I like to use either of them in my team as I just found out that I can't get a Reaper Cloth and Razor Grip/Claw for Dusknoir or Gliscor.

Anyway, if anybody has eggs of those let me know. Else I already have plan B.

Current team for story part of the game is:

Infernape, Electivire, Gardevoir, Mamoswine

Then I either add Altaria, Lucario, Spiritomb, Driftblim to my team unless I can get the eggs of the Pokemon above.

Just had the game get stuck after a battle. The text box for the NPC wouldn't pop up, while the music continued to play. I didn't lose much progress, but hopefully that gets addressed. Shouldn't feel like I'm playing with a fake cart.

Just had to waste a bunch of time frisking in the underground because apparently it wouldn't be "faithful" enough to just include the magmarizer/electirizer on the overworld like Platinum did, or even just let me spend BP on them like later games.

BDSP were developed with really bad priorities.

The difficulty really spikes in BDSP at the 8th gym. I went from mostly OHKO or 2HKO-ing every single Gym Leader Pokémon but ended up using a Max Potion and then Perish Song + Switch + Blissey stalling to win 😯

Bought the game a few days ago and this is practically my first Pokemon game. I loved the aesthatic in the trailers so I figured I'd give it a try. The game is very addictive and fun to play I must say. The difficulty is easy but just catching all the Pokemon and finding all the little secrets is fun. There's a lot of content in there. The game really did surprise me. I'll probably try out Sword and Shield after this one.

It took me many tries, but I finally beat Cynthia. I had saved right before, and refused to grind. All my folks were level 59-60. It was fun to strategize just with what was on my person at the time. I can't get a picture at the moment, but the dream team included:

Empoleon

Pachirisu

Cherrim

Drapion

Frosslass

and Dusclops (no eviolite)

I had based my team primarily around inflicting status, which made it hard when Cynthia seems to have a million full restores. toxic spikes and curse generally really came through for me, but I still had to cheese a little with revives. Overall a fun time, but the pokemon distribution for this game is really dire. The same three or four lines are on almost every route. The variety is my favorite part of replaying more modern pokemon games.

pwDGxi6_d.webp

That’s that done then. What a great time and refreshing to have a challenge in the late story again, although I did miss a lot of the newer features too. Looking forward to the post game and finishing the Pokédex. Might do a Nuzlocke on my Shining Pearl card. We’ll see.

So they found a new way to do the Pokemon/item duplication glitch on 1.1.2. Not linking the video because the youtuber is apparently problematic. Maybe someone can find someone else that highlights the method that isn't trash. They should really stop trying to fix it lol. They'll never patch them all.

So they found a new way to do the Pokemon/item duplication glitch on 1.1.2. Not linking the video because the youtuber is apparently problematic. Maybe someone can find someone else that highlights the method that isn't trash. They should really stop trying to fix it lol. They'll never patch them all.
lol oops

Well, there's always 1.1.3 for them to try again. Or maybe we'll get that 1.2 patch with the GWS and the Colosseum features. Wonder when that's gonna happen - would be nice before Christmas since a lot of kids are gonna be playing it then.

Finally got a chance to come back and beat the game over the holidays. The League actually ended up being pretty difficult and actually managed to be well scaled in terms of levels, with most of my team being roughly on par or a little below. Aaron ended up being especially brutal since half my team was weak to bug and the other half couldn't really deal much damage, and Lucien wasn't too much easier. Bertha was a cakewalk though and surprisingly Flint was too despite my entire team being weak to fire sans a Heatproof Bronzong, though I guess he faithfully doesn't use many fire types. Cynthia ended up being my first loss since the Jupiter fight in Eterna and took a decent bit of strategy and a little team restructuring to eventually beat.

Don't think I'll end up touching too much of the postgame. I got the National Dex and gave Ramanas Park a quick look and it's definitely a nice Pal Park replacement but I'm not really too interested in doing the rematches or the original postgame stuff after already doing so and more in Platinum only a couple of months ago. Overall I'd definitely say I enjoyed the game well enough. Sans a handful of issues (not liking the overworld artstyle, Exp. Share breaking the level curve, etc.) it's definitely a better game than the original Diamond and Pearl but it doesn't do enough to replace Platinum as the definitive Gen 4 experience.

2021121913202100-7DCC42E2AF4C1BBE54BB71700F7161B6.jpg

I'm finally trying to get back into this, and I'm having a rough time (just got to Hearthome). There's a number of smaller things that are getting to me: the routes feel small and uninteresting (I could swear that Gen 4 had a lot more snow in it than this version does, that was my favorite part!) and there seems to be a lot more of the kinds of things I'm not interested in (I don't care about poffins, contests, berry farms, honey trees, etc.). But I think the biggest issue I'm having is that this just has to be the worst Pokedex/set of available Pokemon I remember in any of the games. I know this is probably an exaggeration, but currently it feels like the entire Pokedex is pretty much just "a few new Gen 4 mons + literally all of Gen 1".

I'm going to keep at it and give it another chance, but so far it's not really grabbing me and it's making me remember why I'm not a huge fan of the Gen 3/Gen 4 time in Pokemon history. Gen 5 remakes when? :p

I'm finally trying to get back into this, and I'm having a rough time (just got to Hearthome). There's a number of smaller things that are getting to me: the routes feel small and uninteresting (I could swear that Gen 4 had a lot more snow in it than this version does, that was my favorite part!) and there seems to be a lot more of the kinds of things I'm not interested in (I don't care about poffins, contests, berry farms, honey trees, etc.). But I think the biggest issue I'm having is that this just has to be the worst Pokedex/set of available Pokemon I remember in any of the games. I know this is probably an exaggeration, but currently it feels like the entire Pokedex is pretty much just "a few new Gen 4 mons + literally all of Gen 1".

I'm going to keep at it and give it another chance, but so far it's not really grabbing me and it's making me remember why I'm not a huge fan of the Gen 3/Gen 4 time in Pokemon history. Gen 5 remakes when? :p
You're probably remembering Platinum, not DP. BDSP is faithful to DP to a fault, including its smaller Pokedex and removal of visual tweaks that Platinum made.

The Grand Underground helps with the Pokemon variety, giving you more options than base DP for team building, but the adherence to the DP dex still hurts the rosters of the opposing trainers, especially in the last three gyms.

You're probably remembering Platinum, not DP. BDSP is faithful to DP to a fault, including its smaller Pokedex and removal of visual tweaks that Platinum made.

The Grand Underground helps with the Pokemon variety, giving you more options than base DP for team building, but the adherence to the DP dex still hurts the rosters of the opposing trainers, especially in the last three gyms.
I do need to do more of the underground, that might help. And it might feel worse because I've actually never played DP, only Platinum before. The dex is just really noticeable where I'm at right now when it's full of hikers and karate people and I feel like I have faced nothing but machop and geodude like 90% of the time.

I'll keep trucking, maybe it'll get better once it opens up a bit more!

I haven't follow the thread, but it amazes me how smarter the npcs are. Berry that weakens attacks, more healing and withdrawing their Pokemon. It really is a nice surprise.

Back
Top Bottom