• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters
Four gyms in, and I'm doing a lot of work to balance the Exp. Share effect, but man, it's kinda wild to have so many Pokémon I can pull out of the box to use even as my main team is beginning to solidify. I was planning on using certain Pokemon like Lucario, but I wonder if I'll stick with that or change my mind. Like, I wasn't aiming to use a Luxray, but it's a fun early game Pokemon to use.

The Ralts I got from the Grand Underground, who is now a Gardevoir, is putting in some serious work. She absolutely destroyed Wake's gym battle thanks to knowing Thunderbolt and Grass Knot. I'm so glad I'm using her, the typing covers a lot of my weaknesses. I think the only thing I'm really missing is a good Fire type move, but outside of dealing with Bronzong and the upcoming Ice and Steel Gyms, I should be fine. Houndoom may be the best Grand Underground encounter for the mid game, have super effective STAB attacks for gyms 5, 6 and 7, but Ralts is a great choice as well.

I think the only thing that's a shame right now is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a Razor Fang until the postgame, meaning my poor Gligar won't be evolving any time soon. I got other Ground Types to choose from, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but if any kind soul would be able to trade me one (I believe they cost 5 BP), I'd be grateful.

Four gyms in, and I'm doing a lot of work to balance the Exp. Share effect, but man, it's kinda wild to have so many Pokémon I can pull out of the box to use even as my main team is beginning to solidify. I was planning on using certain Pokemon like Lucario, but I wonder if I'll stick with that or change my mind. Like, I wasn't aiming to use a Luxray, but it's a fun early game Pokemon to use.

The Ralts I got from the Grand Underground, who is now a Gardevoir, is putting in some serious work. She absolutely destroyed Wake's gym battle thanks to knowing Thunderbolt and Grass Knot. I'm so glad I'm using her, the typing covers a lot of my weaknesses. I think the only thing I'm really missing is a good Fire type move, but outside of dealing with Bronzong and the upcoming Ice and Steel Gyms, I should be fine. Houndoom may be the best Grand Underground encounter for the mid game, have super effective STAB attacks for gyms 5, 6 and 7, but Ralts is a great choice as well.

I think the only thing that's a shame right now is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a Razor Fang until the postgame, meaning my poor Gligar won't be evolving any time soon. I got other Ground Types to choose from, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but if any kind soul would be able to trade me one (I believe they cost 5 BP), I'd be grateful.
I did exactly what you did and paid for it. The game really scales up quickly at the end lol.

I did exactly what you did and paid for it. The game really scales up quickly at the end lol.
I'm thankfully at the point where I can shift gears into a set team of 6 and be mostly good, level wise. The real question is what that team of 6 might be...
What’s the Postgame like in these remakes?
About the same as the original Diamond and Pearl with some choice extras and more Pokémon to catch:
  • Some new routes and towns to explore in the top right corner of the map
  • A Battle Tower
  • Gym Leader Rematches, with teams in the high 60s to low 70s
  • Two sets of Elite Four rematches - one with the Platinum Teams similar to that game's rematches, another with even tougher teams (for context, Cynthia's Garchomp in the second rematch is level 88, the same level as Red's Pikachu in HGSS. She's the highest level NPC opponent in a Pokémon game, I think)
  • Poke Radar, Trophy Garden, and Swarms for finding non-Sinnoh Pokémon
  • Grand Underground begins spawning other non-Sinnoh and some other Sinnoh Pokémon, including starters
  • All the legendary Pokémon and events from DP, plus other legendaries in Ranamas Park
If you're looking for the Battle Frontier specifically though, you're not getting it.

I think the only thing that's a shame right now is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a Razor Fang until the postgame, meaning my poor Gligar won't be evolving any time soon
Speaking of, I keep wondering where Pokemon I know are in BDSP are and it turns out they’re all postgame lol. Absolutely maddening. Same with the limit on some of the stones needed for evolutions.

I can’t wait for the BW remakes because those games actually have a fun dex and I won’t mind being restricted to it.

Speaking of, I keep wondering where Pokemon I know are in BDSP are and it turns out they’re all postgame lol. Absolutely maddening. Same with the limit on some of the stones needed for evolutions.

I can’t wait for the BW remakes because those games actually have a fun dex and I won’t mind being restricted to it.
If you're willing to test your luck, all the evolution stones can be mined in the Grand Underground. It's how I got a Moon Stone to evolve my Clefairy. It's funny though, as a kid with lots of time I felt like I was swimming in stones thanks to the Underground. But nowadays I love that you can buy em all, or get them in easily respawning locations in the newer games.

I would honestly be okay with BW and the modern Exp Share. I would love to raise a bunch of Pokemon, there's so many good ones I wanna use.

If you're willing to test your luck, all the evolution stones can be mined in the Grand Underground.
I might be! My boyfriend was saying he'd heard shiny stones weren't available in the underground, at least not until the post-game. He was really conflicted about evolving Roselia or Togetic...and eventually went with the latter, reasoning that he'd like to get a Leafeon on his team instead (who I also found out isn't available until the post-game lol).

I started a dummy file on my wife's Switch to grab the starters I didn't get, and played a bit without the update. I think I prefer the placeholder music? Is there a way to switch back to that?

I might be! My boyfriend was saying he'd heard shiny stones weren't available in the underground, at least not until the post-game. He was really conflicted about evolving Roselia or Togetic...and eventually went with the latter, reasoning that he'd like to get a Leafeon on his team instead (who I also found out isn't available until the post-game lol).
That would be really appreciated, thanks a lot! You can send me a DM about it if you want to do the trade (I actually don't know much about FamiBoards' message system, haha).

Apparently you can get extra Shiny Stones through Pickup? But who has time for that tbh, that's just asking for wasted time on RNG.

It seems that lines that are easy to get in DP's postgame were kept to BDSP's postgame for the most part. Eevee in particular being postgame is a tragedy, it adds so much posit variety to a run.
I started a dummy file on my wife's Switch to grab the starters I didn't get, and played a bit without the update. I think I prefer the placeholder music? Is there a way to switch back to that?
I don't think so, no.

That would be really appreciated, thanks a lot! You can send me a DM about it if you want to do the trade (I actually don't know much about FamiBoards' message system, haha).
Oh wait, I was saying I might be willing to try my luck in the underground looking for stones! What trade are you after?

I was just reading about shiny stones via pick-up and now I'm considering it lol. We always play Pokemon while binging some terrible TV show (we just ran out of episodes of a firefighter procedural) and that's definitely an activity for that level of brain engagement.

Oh wait, I was saying I might be willing to try my luck in the underground looking for stones! What trade are you after?

I was just reading about shiny stones via pick-up and now I'm considering it lol. We always play Pokemon while binging some terrible TV show (we just ran out of episodes of a firefighter procedural) and that's definitely an activity for that level of brain engagement.
Ohhh, my bad, I misread you. You're fine, I was just referring to the Razor Fang, which is also only post game.

I wish you luck in your Shiny Stone hunt! If this is anything like DPPt, then the Pokemon has to be at level 41 and above for it to start showing up in the pool. 4% isn't the worst odds?

Ohhh, my bad, I misread you. You're fine, I was just referring to the Razor Fang, which is also only post game.

I wish you luck in your Shiny Stone hunt! If this is anything like DPPt, then the Pokemon has to be at level 41 and above for it to start showing up in the pool. 4% isn't the worst odds?
They actually changed the odds in BDSP. The Shiny and Dawn Stones can appear in the Pickup item pool as early as level 10, at the original 4% odds, with them getting better with higher levels. You can also just get more chances by having more Pokémon with Pickup in the party, with up to five chances after each encounter. It only took like 30-45 minutes with five Pachirisus to get both a Shiny and Dawn Stone for my team.

I really wish I could opt out of the affection stuff without doing minmaxing busywork with herbs and having to ignore walking with Pokemon. It's both too powerful and disruptive in battles.

They actually changed the odds in BDSP. The Shiny and Dawn Stones can appear in the Pickup item pool as early as level 10, at the original 4% odds, with them getting better with higher levels. You can also just get more chances by having more Pokémon with Pickup in the party, with up to five chances after each encounter. It only took like 30-45 minutes with five Pachirisus to get both a Shiny and Dawn Stone for my team.
Oh really now? That's good to know. Might search for some at some point, then...

Question about the pick up ability. Is it only with trainer battles or do wild Pokemon I catch/defeat count? I need a stone to evolve my Roselia. Only Pokemon in my party not fully evolved.

Question about the pick up ability. Is it only with trainer battles or do wild Pokemon I catch/defeat count? I need a stone to evolve my Roselia. Only Pokemon in my party not fully evolved.
Wild Pokemon count too as far as I'm aware, I've definitely had Pokemon pick things up after wild battles (though this was in R/S/E, I wouldn't expect it to have changed though)

Any encounter, so long as you win it by KOing or catching.

Now that Pokémon games have a ton of regions and let you catch Pokémon from outside the Regional Dex, the Safari Zone should include Pokémon from outside the region. BDSP specifically should have had Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar region Pokémon to catch.

Now that Pokémon games have a ton of regions and let you catch Pokémon from outside the Regional Dex, the Safari Zone should include Pokémon from outside the region. BDSP specifically should have had Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar region Pokémon to catch.
This please. Especially with the introduction of regional forms, it makes so much sense

Looks like there's a pretty easy item distribution glitch - could be useful for TMs, evolution items, and the like:

Meanwhile I'm 6 badges in. The mid game isn't really built with Exp. Share in mind, if you're aiming to keep up with the Gym Leaders' strongest Pokemon, so I've been rotating two teams in and out, and they're...pretty on par, level wise, partially thanks to Sinnoh having more optional areas and things to do. Iron Island, Fuego Ironworks, it's great stuff.

I managed to get a used copy of the game this morning.....and I'm hooked.

Gardenia was pretty difficult because Grass Knot did a lot of damaged to my Grotle and it even OHKO Luxio....but luckily I had my level 20 Zubat.

Hey people, I’ve just started and I’m trying to come up with a team, but the only grass Pokémon I see worthwhile to use depends on completing the dex…

So… does anyone have a spare Tangela to trade with me? I don’t really have anything special to offer in return, but I would be really greatful! (I don’t want to use Roserade… I ALWAYS use Roserade, and this time I want something different, hence Tangrowth).

Thirty hours in (Became Champion and did a few post game events) and I love Gen 4, but some of the design and artistic choices are....questionable. I thought I would ease myself into liking the chibi style, but it looks so off and ugly in some cases.

Also, as great as the post game content is, roaming legendaries is the absolute worst thing (Besides HM's) from the original games and I don't have the patience to do all that again this time around.

Thirty hours in (Became Champion and did a few post game events) and I love Gen 4, but some of the design and artistic choices are....questionable. I thought I would ease myself into liking the chibi style, but it looks so off and ugly in some cases.

Also, as great as the post game content is, roaming legendaries is the absolute worst thing (Besides HM's) from the original games and I don't have the patience to do all that again this time around.
Never forget how Pokemon Platinum had five roaming legendary Pokemon in it. Five! We can debate the merits of DP and BDSP vs Pt, but give me two roamers vs. five any day.

Lucario is just busted for this placement in the game right? Like you either have to grind or get lucky with the drain punch?
There's plenty of solutions to that Lucario available by then, anything that resist drain punch or can kill it one hit (which isn't that hard with all the good TM's available this early) should do it.

Oh wow, I'm right before the room where I can catch Feebas. I'm gonna try this out and see how it goes...

I wasted like a half hour or more earlier just trying to catch one on my own. Did a quick search and found that, tried it, and it was literally the first Pokemon I fished up on one of the highlighted squares lol

I unfortunately lost my Nuzlocke run at Cynthia, got brutalized by Flint's Driftblim Baton Passing Minimize over to his Infernape so my team was in tatters by the time I reached her.

On the plus side I learned that you can unlock the National Dex before beating the Elite Four.

Finally got my copy on Friday and I'm already up to 12 hrs, hahaha. My take on it so far:

My family has now left me. Thanks, Pokémon Co. and Nintendo

Roaming legendaries was so much improved in Sword/Shield. Really made those encounters fun and exciting whereas the old way has always been boring.

I wasted like a half hour or more earlier just trying to catch one on my own. Did a quick search and found that, tried it, and it was literally the first Pokemon I fished up on one of the highlighted squares lol

Do you yourself have to be on the square or is the square where your rod needs to land?

Roaming legendaries was so much improved in Sword/Shield. Really made those encounters fun and exciting whereas the old way has always been boring.
Roaming Legendaries made sense back when the game expected players to spend a lot of time in the grass, grinding experience points or EVs. I caught Latios while EV training back in Emerald.

Now all of that stuff is streamlined or even automated so players don't really need to spend prolonged time wandering in grass.

I finally got back home and was able to play some today. I was able to get a chimchar from a trade but I would love to have a turtwig early on. Wanted all the starters but no one I found in that special trade link has helped. I did get a shiny ditto from one though

I duped a few of my piplups

Ramanas Park.....

Such a cool concept, and in Game Freak fashion (I know Ilca developed it, but GF still overlooked the project) its executed horribly. Really frustrating.

The cloning glitches that people have found are something else lol. Being able to clone a whole box in like 1 minute is pretty wild.

And yet the pokemon company still won't let any pokemon games have cloud saves because they don't want people cloning, lol.

I bet they're not happy that those exist.

Back
Top Bottom