• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters
@ing you because I'd love to hear the why! (It's downloading now for me)
Many reasons, but the gist of it is that these games include all the qualities that I loved about Pokemon, that are missing from the newer games. The map design is amazing, the game manages to actually recreate a sense of adventure that the newer games really lack, there's a great sense of place, I'm not the hugest fan of the graphics but they're super cute and cozy, the music is fantastic, and while I do empathize with the concerns around the EXP share, with the way I play the games (which is having multiple rotating Pokemon at all times), even the level curve is great. Combine that last point with enemy AI actually having been buffed up, with some great movesets and enemies knowing how and when to use them, and you end up with a game that's, well, not hard (it's still Pokemon, not SMT), but does push back in a way that Pokemon games have simply not in the last ten years or so.

This game just reminds me why I loved these games to begin with lol.

Yeah, I'm gonna say it, this is the best Pokemon game in ten years.
Don't @ me.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I disagree (depending on how strictly you're drawing that 10 year line, it only just barely excludes B2W2).

Though, when you really think about it, it's a pretty serious indictment of the last decade of Game Freak's output that I'm even considering the possibility of (what I believe to be) a pretty heavily compromised remake of Gen 4 might actually be better than every Pokémon game they've released on 3DS and Switch.

The game is definitely in serious need of some patches, though. There's lots of minor technical issues, the movement controls really should work more or less like they do in ORAS, some of the menus and mini games have pretty sluggish controls, and the lack of touch support in the Switch Pokémon games is really starting to get to me.

2 switches, 1 copy of pokemon. Can I trade between games on both devices?
Nope. If you have the same digital copy of a game running on two different Switches, they'll be blocked from communicating wirelessly with each other. You'll just get an error saying you're only allowed to run the game on 1 Switch at a time if you try.

Nope. If you have the same digital copy of a game running on two different Switches, they'll be blocked from communicating wirelessly with each other. You'll just get an error saying you're only allowed to run the game on 1 Switch at a time if you try.

I don't see why this would be the case if you do it properly using different accounts. Every other game works multiplayer on 2 different switches with only one digital copy.

Just don't expect to do it on the same Nintendo account on both switches, because that won't work, but if you do like:

Nintendo account 1 purchases the game digitally.
Nintendo account 2 starts playing the game on the switch that Nintendo account 1 has set as Nintendo account 1s primary switch.
Nintendo account 1 starts playing the game on another switch (requires online check in at boot of game to verify license).

Then Nintendo account 1 and 2 should be able to trade and battle fine

I don't see why this would be the case if you do it properly using different accounts. Every other game works multiplayer on 2 different switches with only one digital copy.

Just don't expect to do it on the same Nintendo account on both switches, because that won't work, but if you do like:

Nintendo account 1 purchases the game digitally.
Nintendo account 2 starts playing the game on the switch that Nintendo account 1 has set as Nintendo account 1s primary switch.
Nintendo account 1 starts playing the game on another switch (requires online check in at boot of game to verify license).

Then Nintendo account 1 and 2 should be able to trade and battle fine
You might be right, I didn't think to try it with two different accounts.

EDIT: Can't confirm on this game, but on Animal Crossing I get an error even if I'm using two different accounts. I didn't think it would be any different on this game, but if it is I'm sorry.

Last edited:
It might be something some are not ready to hear but I believe they made great changes to their Pokémon pipeline that will pay off in spades in the coming years

• Return to a 4-years generation cycle
  • Remakes outsourced to ILCA and keeping an old-school feeling
  • Experimental titles a la Let's Go or Arceus to expand the audience
  • Mainline games expanding their open and cooperative approach (see Sw/Sh DLC)

I think the fundations are set for the next 10 years of Pokémon.

Yeah, I'm gonna say it, this is the best Pokemon game in ten years.
Don't @ me.
I'd say B2W2 and ORAS were better but otherwise you're right, this is better so far than anything else on the 3DS or Switch, despite its myriad of faults it's very solid

These kids' Abras in the Trainer's School destroyed me lmao. Ended up having to have a Kricketot, of all things, carry me there.
They got me good too lol, my Piplup and Starly got destroyed and then they were powered up enough to just wipe the rest of my team

It might be something some are not ready to hear but I believe they made great changes to their Pokémon pipeline that will pay off in spades in the coming years

I can see this too, I sure hope they're going down this path anyway

How many fps is the game on? It seems so smooth that I thought it was 60 fps but I might be wrong.

Also, so sad that Larvitar is only after Hall of Fame… I’m gonna have to change my team again :(

Pouring one for those attempting a Nuzlocke with Chimchar against the first Gym Leader. That Cranidos hits very hard.

Many reasons, but the gist of it is that these games include all the qualities that I loved about Pokemon, that are missing from the newer games. The map design is amazing, the game manages to actually recreate a sense of adventure that the newer games really lack, there's a great sense of place, I'm not the hugest fan of the graphics but they're super cute and cozy, the music is fantastic, and while I do empathize with the concerns around the EXP share, with the way I play the games (which is having multiple rotating Pokemon at all times), even the level curve is great. Combine that last point with enemy AI actually having been buffed up, with some great movesets and enemies knowing how and when to use them, and you end up with a game that's, well, not hard (it's still Pokemon, not SMT), but does push back in a way that Pokemon games have simply not in the last ten years or so.

Well being faithful to DP has the advantage of being faithful to wonderful games.

The series was never quite the same for me after gen 4 because of the maps. I really miss exploring the regions, backtracking here a d there to see what new places I could access with my new abilities, it was an integral part of the Pokémon adventure experience for me. That the maps were severely dumbed down since then is my biggest gripe with the series.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited for Arceus.

Well, I got a shipping confirmation from Pokemon Center at 5am eastern the day after launch. That's pretty unacceptable for a preorder made in August that was supposed to arrive on launch day. They didn't even inform me it was delayed, just got a standard shipping confirmation. I think I'll complain to their customer service center.

I didn't mind the overworld chibi style in trailers, but actually playing the game I hate it. I think it's because the Switch screen is so much larger than my phone where I watched the trailers. I need to play this docked to see if it's even worse on a TV.

Wondering if I should get this or not. I've never played the originals nor many other Pokemon games outside of Blue and Sword.
I'd kind of like a new Pokemon experience but Arceus is out soon or I could just go back and play the originals.
How are you guys feeling about the game, think it's worth me picking up?

First time in years that I had to level up to beat the first gym (I choose Chimchar). I hope gen 9 learns something from BDSP when it comes to difficulty.

Wondering if I should get this or not. I've never played the originals nor many other Pokemon games outside of Blue and Sword.
I'd kind of like a new Pokemon experience but Arceus is out soon or I could just go back and play the originals.
If you didn’t play anything between Blue and Sword you may find the return to older mechanics and restrictions a little annoying. SwSh let you relearn moves at any Pokemon Centre for free whereas here it’s a single NPC who requires a special item; likewise you could rename on the fly in SwSh I think, and here it’s tied again to a specific NPC. AFAIK accessing boxes is back to being PC only. (EDIT: boxes anywhere is unlocked after the first gym, which is nice!)

I like every mainline entry pretty much though, so I’m enjoying this well enough. My biggest irritation, aside from removing the QoL stuff above, is that both movement modes have caveats. Using the d-pad is janky and feels delayed, and using the stick for more free movement means it’s easier to get caught on corners. It’s a total nitpick though.

Last edited:
It will feel very different from Arceus so I don't see the games burning you if it is your concern.

Those are very enjoyable games, you get that old school Pokemon feeling and a good region to explore. If you didn't play any Sinnoh games before, I think it is undoubtedly worth a try.

The games are not very long too. (Unless you go for the 100%)

Just having a Pokemon game on Switch with actual level design feels so refreshing after SwSh. It feels a little sad to say it like that, but this is the most fun I've had with a mainline Pokemon game in a long time.

I was always okay with the chibi art style, but still disappointed it wasn't more modernized. Now that I'm actually playing it though, the direction they went has grown on me a ton. I love the shift from chibi to full-sized models for battles, very reminiscent of how the older Pokemon games would shift to the more detailed trainer sprites for battles. I think I'd even be okay with the eventual Black and White remakes going for a similar style.

Question about if some stuff (that would probably be post-game) is in the games or not:

Are the Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus events/encounter things in the game? One of the reasons this gen left such an impression on me was how truly mythical all of those encounters really felt. I'm still early in the game, but I haven't heard one way or the other about those yet.

Piplup user here. Bidoof carried in both Abra fights. Shinx weakened them first but Bidoof took the wins.

Question about if some stuff (that would probably be post-game) is in the games or not:

Are the Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus events/encounter things in the game? One of the reasons this gen left such an impression on me was how truly mythical all of those encounters really felt. I'm still early in the game, but I haven't heard one way or the other about those yet.
I don't have the game, but given the leaks, and if I recall correctly...
Giratina is found like it was in DP, not Platinum, i.e. you go to the Turnback Cave and navigate through it, fighting it to catch it at the end. There is, however, a new boss fight against a Level 100 "shadow" of Origin Form Giratina (gotta defeat it, can't catch it) in Randamas Park which you need to do to get the Griseous Orb. The room you find it in is based on Platinum's Distortion World and has the Platinum battle song.

The Darkrai event is in the game, identically to DP, including the need for an event item.

The Arceus event has its locations set and I think also the Azure Flute data in the game but it seems to be incomplete? Something that could be finished in a patch, like how the Darkrai event was, maybe as a tie in to Legends: Arceus.

I just picked up the double pack for my partner and I. Soon as we get home we're playing it all day and night.

I don't have the game, but given the leaks, and if I recall correctly...
Giratina is found like it was in DP, not Platinum, i.e. you go to the Turnback Cave and navigate through it, fighting it to catch it at the end. There is, however, a new boss fight against a Level 100 "shadow" of Origin Form Giratina (gotta defeat it, can't catch it) in Randamas Park which you need to do to get the Griseous Orb. The room you find it in is based on Platinum's Distortion World and has the Platinum battle song.

The Darkrai event is in the game, identically to DP, including the need for an event item.

The Arceus event has its locations set and I think also the Azure Flute data in the game but it seems to be incomplete? Something that could be finished in a patch, like how the Darkrai event was, maybe as a tie in to Legends: Arceus.

I just picked up the double pack for my partner and I. Soon as we get home we're playing it all day and night.
Oh neat. So it seems like they'll do an event for the Member Key like they did in the past. Thanks!!

Ultimately decided not to get this game, I was really undecided after seeing impressions from people actually playing it.

They're certainly removing some of the barriers to success, but some changes in design philosophy will also be required, and it remains to be seen if those will happen.

Losing the will to live going through this forest doing double battles with Cheryl.

Just having a Pokemon game on Switch with actual level design feels so refreshing after SwSh. It feels a little sad to say it like that, but this is the most fun I've had with a mainline Pokemon game in a long time.

I was always okay with the chibi art style, but still disappointed it wasn't more modernized. Now that I'm actually playing it though, the direction they went has grown on me a ton. I love the shift from chibi to full-sized models for battles, very reminiscent of how the older Pokemon games would shift to the more detailed trainer sprites for battles. I think I'd even be okay with the eventual Black and White remakes going for a similar style.
Yeah, this remake really drives home how much Pokemon map design suffered after it went 3D. Like, it's just big empty rooms now. There's actual purpose to how things are laid out here, and the trek between towns feels like an actual journey each time.

I'm still not entirely sure I am sold on the graphical style, to be perfectly honest. I think Let's Go is the look they should have gone for for this game (and for other games that take this direction).

Well being faithful to DP has the advantage of being faithful to wonderful games.

The series was never quite the same for me after gen 4 because of the maps. I really miss exploring the regions, backtracking here a d there to see what new places I could access with my new abilities, it was an integral part of the Pokémon adventure experience for me. That the maps were severely dumbed down since then is my biggest gripe with the series.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited for Arceus.
Absolutely. I don't mind the Gen 5 maps, they help with the game's incredible sense of pacing and momentum, but you need that purposeful pacing and momentum if you're going with a more streamlined map; the problem is that the games after Gen 5 retained (and doubled down on, in fact) B/W's linearity, but also got rid of the things that made that map still feel worthwhile. We were left with really unfulfilling maps as a result.

I've always maintained that SInnoh is one of the greatest maps across games in general, so to see the series go from that to the absurdly unfulfilling line of corridors and empty rooms that comprise gens 6, 7, and 8 was really disappointing. We'll see how/if Legends delivers.

EDIT: God damn it I need to be more careful with double posts lol

If Gen V remakes are exactly like this, with a more Let's Go-esque overworld artstyle and overworld roaming Pokemon, that would be perfect to me.

I'm satisfied with these remakes. The only real bummer so far has been the lack of customization options for mix-and-match outfits or hairstyles

I don’t like the blurring effect very much… also don’t like the way the character stops almost completely when running close to walls with the Left Stick.

Other than that, I really like how fast the battles are, and the models look very good in and out of battles. I was very critical of the art style in the beginning (my reaction was sort of like “what the hell? I hate this!”), but it really grew on me.

I’m terrible at designing the Poké Ball effects =(

On to the second gym and catching a Drifloon on the way!

Also, do we get the fossil for Cranidos in the Grand Underground? It’s been 10 years since I last played gen 4.

So what’s the benefit of playing online in the underground? If this feature was in the original I don’t remember using it!

Can I interact with the people I see running around? When I turn on someone else’s hideout effect does it just apply to me, to them, to everyone online with us?

The main benefit I can see right now is that we get a shared Diglett counter.

Absolutely. I don't mind the Gen 5 maps, they help with the game's incredible sense of pacing and momentum, but you need that purposeful pacing and momentum if you're going with a more streamlined map; the problem is that the games after Gen 5 retained (and doubled down on, in fact) B/W's linearity, but also got rid of the things that made that map still feel worthwhile. We were left with really unfulfilling maps as a result.

I've always maintained that SInnoh is one of the greatest maps across games in general, so to see the series go from that to the absurdly unfulfilling line of corridors and empty rooms that comprise gens 6, 7, and 8 was really disappointing. We'll see how/if Legends delivers.

it was Gen 4 that GF said people said was too confusing and lead them to make the map design more simple. this is probably something that could have been avoided if they had better signposting or something. then again, I don't recall getting lost myself, so I don't know what people refer to

Looks like arlo is not liking it

I love Arlo, but I'm not surprised. He even says in video he didn't like the original Diamond and Pearl.

Anyways, started playing BD yesterday. SR for a shiny Chimchar, which I miraculously got in 83 tries (named him Takis), and I just wrapped things up in Eterna City. So far, this is pretty much just classic pokemon, which is exactly what I want right now.

I finally had time to play Brilliant Diamond. And, in the best possible way I could put it...yeah, this is classic Pokemon. Not gonna win anyone over who didn't like the original, but battles are faster and has a few modern conveniences. I miss the Platinum editions, but I'm really excited to see how the Grand Underground gives me more team building options. Gonna try to get a Gligar as soon as I can!

Please, the movement! Using the bike is horrendous, just constantly changing pace and getting caught on invisible corners. At one point I got stuck on a corner immediately after a battle and so had two consecutive battles without actually fully moving tiles.

Also it’s after 4am here (yes I have nothing else going on) and the game has switched to daytime mode again. It’s dark out!

I am needlessly addicted to the underground despite not really seeing much value in it for me. Also growing to love Kricketune. And I am desperate to unlock clothing (and hair?) customisation. I have my priorities straight.

it was Gen 4 that GF said people said was too confusing and lead them to make the map design more simple. this is probably something that could have been avoided if they had better signposting or something. then again, I don't recall getting lost myself, so I don't know what people refer to
Ironically, today I ran into a bit where the remake kind of ruined the signposting that was there, because telling me there's a guy giving out TMs in the Great Marsh doesn't really communicate that it's actually an HM that I'm going to want to prioritize finding so I'll have it later when I need it. They really should have just kept the TM/HM distinction to properly communicate their importance. It wouldn't have even made a mechanical difference if they hadn't decided to arbitrarily roll back infinite use TMs, which were one of the better QoL changes in Gen 5.

Anyone have spare Shiny and Dawn Stones they’d be willing to give me? Would like to use Togekiss and Gallade in a Sinnoh playthrough.

Somehow missed the Mystery Gift option despite talking to everyone in the TV station (I think you have to talk to someone twice?). I can’t be arsed going all the way back now.

Also just did some trading in a link code room with my boyfriend to get fossils and it seems we had to leave to take the fossils from the Pokemon then go back? Also, because the game seemingly auto-selects a random look for you in those rooms if you haven’t chosen one, we both thought we were in the wrong room at first because we were an idol and an aroma lady by default or something. We were both like “oh there’s a random girl in my room, I think we did this wrong.”

I am enjoying this game a lot but IMO I feel the “ass backwards” aspect of the series way more here than I have in other recent games. The “return to its roots” aspect is nice and nostalgic I agree, but there’s also a lot of inconveniences and frustrations and “lol why is this like this” for us. Like picking, planting and watering berries is dreadful, I know that could have been streamlined.

Gen 6’s level design isn’t any different than gen 5 lol

Back
Top Bottom