• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon Presents Scheduled for February 27 2024 at 6am PST

Strange detail courtesy of the PokeLeaks subreddit: no one from GameFreak has tweeted about the upcoming Presents. Combined with rumors of an outsourced Unova game, maybe GF doesn't have anything this year?

Originally I was expecting a situation similar to 2021: an outsourced remake (like BDSP) for November and a new Legends for Q1 25, now I’m wondering if they pushed new Legends to November 2025 so they can have an extra year for gen 10 (and release it for Pokémon 30th anniversary).

I was going to say that something Unova related may not happen, because they definitely would've gotten Shota Kageyama back to do the music and he didn't RT the announcement, which he always does when something he worked on is announced......but it looks like none of the known Pokemon people on Twitter have retweeted it either lol.

Seems like Colosseum actually had a kind of fine reception, now I'm curious

Last edited:
Unironically I want them to return to the Lets Go Art Style no matter what game they do next
The problems with those games aside you cant deny that it looks cleaner than Scarlet and Violet

Really liked Arceus's battles because of this.
ark6.gif
100%, I loved seeing this in Arceus and the pokemon look great in the game.

Strange detail courtesy of the PokeLeaks subreddit: no one from GameFreak has tweeted about the upcoming Presents. Combined with rumors of an outsourced Unova game, maybe GF doesn't have anything this year?
Or the more heavier titles qill be revealed later

Also, I don’t get the gripe with EXP Share. What about it?

Okay well could you elaborate on that? I don't think it's that wild to see pushback when you compare something from the gamecube that worked to the closest thing a Nintendo exclusive has gotten to Cyberpunk at launch
First of all, i'll adress the bolded: In more than 100 hours of gameplay i've played my copy of Pokémon Scarlet, the bugs i've found amount to getting stuck on the geometry twice and my Wooper sliding down a pond, that's it. SV's glitch reports are incredibly exaggerated, and most of them happen in cooperative gameplay.

That said, the key here is expectations.

With Colosseum, the hype was focused in two factors:
  • The first ever home console Pokémon RPG
  • Its developer, Genius Sonority, Ex-Enix developers and a studio dedicated exclusively to Nintendo home consoles
The headlines wrote themselves: Ex-Dragon Quest devs working on an exclusive Pokémon RPG! Of course, as details started getting revealed the expectation got tempered, screenshots didn't help, either - even less compared with PS2 exclusives - but there was still the promise of a groundbreaking story and an extensive, well developed world.

It didn't deliver on any front, in my opinion, and graphically was even more underwhelming when seen in movement because the character animations were rough af.

As for SV, this may be because i'm older and more jaded, but this is Gamefreak who we're talking about, after the SwSh DLC the promise of having a full open world Pokémon game with bigger scope in the same time frame was a big enough red flag to know what to expect. Indeed, the game dissapointed by being somehow techincally worse than i expected and dumbing down the cities, but in the end it was Wild Area 2.0: The game just like i personally expected.

Now, is Colosseum better or worse than SV? If you ask me, it's worse in everything but render and texture resolution relative to the console it runs in, as well as battle spectacularity. Personally? I don't like it, and the funniest thing about it is that i've 100% it thrice already as part of my Gen 3 playthroughs, but it's precisely because of that why i feel like i can talk properly about it.

What do you mean isn't supposed to be seen up close? Bloopers are one of the more common enemies in sunshine and are by any reasonable definition "seen upclose" on a significant number of occasions, including at several points being used as a mount for mario, which is pretty much as "upclose" as anything could get.

Blocks_Blooper_Surfing_Safari_Ricco_Harbor_Super_Mario_Sunshine.jpg

I don't think anyone could reasonably say that isn't upclose. Of course, that picture is either from the switch remaster or an emulator, because that's far higher res than any gamecube game, the original game looked a lot worse.

...I have no idea how you can think "the game that was far bigger and ambitious" than the game you're complaining about still having to settle for models like that is anything but an argument that it was basically standard for the era. In any case, Pokemon Colosseum definitely made far more models than sunshine did, so...
I... don't think that showing them as a mount, when you're only seeing the back of the model and you're focusing on the course, helps your case at all.

In Sunshine, Bloopers are mere obstacles you take out fast and easy with the ACUAC, in the area of the stage they're more prominent camera is zoomed out by default. On top of that, despite the final result we're speaking about a game designed to run at 60 fps, so the polycount budget is limited.

On the number of 3D models made for the game, for the Stadium series HAL managed to make 251 amazing 3D models given the system. Particularly, the Gen 2 Pokémon models were really stunning.

243.png
34026.png
29528.png

Taking in account that GS reused all these for Colosseum, strictly speaking about Pokémon they had a lot less to do, and they leave a lot to be desired taking in account the system they're running on, wich has a much heftier polycount budget
22600.png
4172.png
6776.png

Reminder: These modes are to be used ONLY in battle.

Last edited:
This is how I was hoping any future remake would look. I'd be absolutely fine with the main games looking like this if that meant they could put more effort into the towns and putting a bunch of fun things to do and find in the region.
I'm probably in the minority but I agree, I'd be ok if the series could evolve using that style. But even going full 3d like Legends and Scarlet, I prefer the aesthetics to be like this.

A Legends game in Unova or Johto are the bare minimum that I seek for a good time.

Of course, if you really want to blow my mind? Gimme Pokken 2 with rollback (and for me, ditching the "phase shift" aspect of the original).

The vibe is not feeling like a new Legends game is getting announced, to be honest. I'm going in expecting a BW remake that looks exactly like BDSP. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything else. I'll still be getting up at 6am to watch it, of course.

Even if we do get a BDSP style Black/White game I would still be decently interested. The visuals are not my issue with BDSP lol

The vibe is not feeling like a new Legends game is getting announced, to be honest. I'm going in expecting a BW remake that looks exactly like BDSP. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything else. I'll still be getting up at 6am to watch it, of course.
Not sure why they would do a BDSP style remake if it wasn't accompanying a new Legends game. I could be wrong, but it just seems weird.

They always pick super early in the morning for me so if I get up at that time I'll have only 5 hours of sleep XD. I'll probably watch it 2 hours after it airs tbh. Just like always.

The lack of any Gamefreak staff member retweeting the presents despite them retweeting their horse game's Switch re-release does point towards no Gamefreak game tomorrow, which should be good news for those who want them to have more dev time for Gen 10.

I got a weird feeling that the Pokémon presents might not have any announcements for new switch games, but that could just be my pessimism showing.

Just put some of the old games on the eshop and I’ll be happy. I’m not even expecting them on NSO. I will pay for standalone ports because I am truly a fool.

Closer we get to this, the more I feel like we'll never get another Legends game.

Incoming ILCA-made B&W remakes, mobile shit and other multimedia announcements.

It seems pretty likely in general that Game Freak would either take this year or next year off. I don't think they're especially eager to get Gen 10 out in 2025 as they typically would.

Final predictions:
Pokemon Masters, Unite, and Cafe shit I don't care about
New retail spin-off for Switch, maybe PMD
Emboar 7* raid for SV next month
New Unova game for 2024, weird mix of Johto and Unova for the map. Studio behind it is either Bandai Namco or Arte Piazza.

I'm going to expect nothing and will still end up dissapointed.

Final prediction:
Pokemon Go stuff
Pokemon Sleep stuff
Pokemon Cafe stuff
Pokemon Series stuff (Netflix)
Pokemon remake that makes the game worse compared to the original.
No Pinball
No Explorers of Sky
No Legends
No Ending Teaser for a new game

Fin

I’m still expecting something johto related, would be very cool a johto + unova remix.

My big hopes are for a Pokémon snap 3 (it’s been 3 years since new Pokémon snap) and a new Legends game (PLA is my favorite switch game after Botw).

And please TPC drop Pokémon pinball on NSO, thank you <3

I’m still expecting something johto related, would be very cool a johto + unova remix.

My big hopes are for a Pokémon snap 3 (it’s been 3 years since new Pokémon snap) and a new Legends game (PLA is my favorite switch game after Botw).

And please TPC drop Pokémon pinball on NSO, thank you <3
The realistic hope for Johto is GSC ports tbh. Which I would be thrilled with, personally.

My predictions:

BW remakes by ILCA (B2W2 content possible but not likely)

Legends Unova

Maybe a new Mystery Dungeon (either Explorers DX or a new game)

Maybe some other spinoff

New mythical and raid events for SV

Maybe Gens 1-3 finally getting ported. Probably one gen at a time if so

Possibly a new streaming service for the anime and movies. Or they're just all coming to Netflix or something

Don't really know or care about the other stuff lol

What I hope to see :
- Nothing developed by Game Freak

What I expect :
  • B/W Remakes by ILCA
  • Spinoff sequel (Pokken, PMD).
I would love a Legends game but not this year, I'd kill to get Legends for holiday 2025 then gen 10 for holiday 2026, so they can really take their time for once.

No gamefreak game yet would be best case scenario. They need time anyway.

I don't understand how post exp share a standard party of 6 (or even 12) can't be over leveled with just mandatory trainers or 50% of trainers. I've tested it in every game. I still get over leveled unless I rotate my team fairly aggressively, and never use exp candies or rare candies etc. Its pretty much a *2.5 experience hack inserted straight in to a system not designed for it. They didn't adjust the exp yield or system down at all to account for it. (I guess then gen 5 level scaling system helps a little, but really not much).

I kinda like tomorrow direct even though I know nothing about it, and the reason is that I know nothing about it, not because I expected some big games or anything, more on the "so mysterious".

I feel like every year we always have some ideas of what coming, like this year going to be a remake of this gen, this year going to be a new gen, but I literally don't know what going to happen tomorrow.
  • Gen 4 remake just 2–3 years ago so it is kinda soon for Gen 5 remake.
  • Gen 9 is just 2 years so it is still soon for Gen 10, it has to be next year 2025 at the earliest, and maybe even 2026 if they want to save it for 30th year's anniversary.
  • Is it going to be Let's Go again? Because it felt like that one was the 1 time deal to capitalize the Pokemon GO's hype, it has been like 5 years since then, and we hear not even a single beep.
  • Or is it finally time with no mainline game for one? There must be some games, even spin-off that is not a mobile one like GO, Unite or Cafe right? Otherwise, what the point of a Pokemon Day stream.

• Gen 4 remake just 2–3 years ago so it is kinda soon for Gen 5 remake.
The “remake pattern” points to a remake every 5 years, yet the diamond and peak remakes were two years over this “pattern“. So if it’s entirely possible to be two years later then what “the pattern” dictates, why couldn’t the black and white remakes be two years earlier then “the pattern”?

Quoted by: SNP
I‘ve kinda given up hope for a healthy development schedule for Pokémon, so I at least hope the game this year will be a legends game. Legends Arceus had too many good ideas to be a standalone, and they said it would be a “new pillar for the franchise”. The classic games coming to NSO (or being ported at all) would also be great, I need to finally play those games

The “remake pattern” points to a remake every 5 years, yet the diamond and peak remakes were two years over this “pattern“. So if it’s entirely possible to be two years later then what “the pattern” dictates, why couldn’t the black and white remakes be two years earlier then “the pattern”?

Because I don't care and pay attention to remake pattern... I just feel like it too soon for BW remake. Even "new gen pattern" mean nothing to me, I just know it has to be at least 3 years because that was how long to make a new game.

I'm just excited that the presentation is tomorrow. Not expecting anything in particular, hoping to have pleasant surprises!

Hopefully everyone will have a good time.

Because I don't care and pay attention to remake pattern... I just feel like it too soon for BW remake. Even "new gen pattern" mean nothing to me, I just know it has to be at least 3 years because that was how long to make a new game.
You never know with Pokémon. They released Legends and SV in the same year, 3 years after the last mainline game and 2 years after multiple big DLC expansions

Those screens look horrible, sorry. They look like a poor man's FF VII.

SV/ art direction is great.

What's great about the art direction of SV? The human models and Pokemon models look good, that's it. Everything else looks horrid.

I got a weird feeling that the Pokémon presents might not have any announcements for new switch games, but that could just be my pessimism showing.
There has been a new retail Pokemon game (mainline or spinoff) every single year since at least 1998 in either Japan or the rest of the world. There will be a new Pokemon game on the shelves this year for Switch 1, there's no sensible way to think otherwise.

You just know there's one guy out there that's dying for a Pokemon Unite update and doesn't care about anything else that gets announced.
I groan through the mobile section, but the annual presents is generally the only time I get an update on what Pokemon mobile games are still active.

You just know there's one guy out there that's dying for a Pokemon Unite update and doesn't care about anything else that gets announced.
All Unite players already know what is coming because Timi is the world's worst company in the world when it comes to scrubbing data. Everything up to May or June has already been leaked with hard dates for their implementation in the game.

Back
Top Bottom