• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon Presents Scheduled for February 27 2024 at 6am PST

Originally I was expecting a situation similar to 2021: an outsourced remake (like BDSP) for November and a new Legends for Q1 25, now I’m wondering if they pushed new Legends to November 2025 so they can have an extra year for gen 10 (and release it for Pokémon 30th anniversary).
I think that specific release strategy was probably the result of fairly specific conditions and seems unlikely to repeat in the future. Makes more sense to space things out a bit more to give all the games enough time to cook.

I just want a good looking faithful remake of Black and White that runs at 30FPS 80% of the time. It doesn't need to be 3D or open world, and I won't complain about the lack of a Black 2 or White 2 remake. Just be good remakes.

What are the chances we get a new Legends game tomorrow?? That's really the only thing that interests me tbh.

I think Black and White remakes are way more likely tho.

But I do wonder about that Khu tease and think they'll make a Legends game with elements from gens 2 and 5, maybe reveal it for 2025 and it lands in January, February or March just after Switch 2(since there'll probably be an exclusive in that month so it'll cover Switch/cross gen).

Honestly if faithful BW remakes happen and they don't have forced EXP share nonsense I'll probably buy them. They're great games on their own and I missed out a lot on the online features due to being a dumb kid.

What are the chances we get a new Legends game tomorrow?? That's really the only thing that interests me tbh.

I wouldn't bet on it. We still don't really know if Legends Arceus was a one-time experiment that GF wanted to make or if they want it to be a new series. GF followed a regular formula for almost the entire life of Pokemon so people assume they will always follow a formula with every single game, but that might not be true.

My guess is if we are getting another Legends game, it won't be until at least next year.

Honestly if faithful BW remakes happen and they don't have forced EXP share nonsense I'll probably buy them. They're great games on their own and I missed out a lot on the online features due to being a dumb kid.
They're almost guarenteed to have forced EXP share, that's just part of the franchise now.

You know, I've flipped from pessimism to optimism. We've had plenty of duds with these, it's time for a winner. I'm talking gens 1-3 on the Switch (via NSO or the eShop, it doesn't matter to me). I'm talking a Mystery Dungeon game to release in the Summer. I'm talking Black 3 & White 3. I'm talking HGSS remakes. I'm talking another Legends game.

We're gonna get it all tomorrow, and the stream isn't going to stop until we do.

If the 2024 game is A) outsourced and B) not a faithful remake, I have to imagine Game Freak's next original title is gen 10, probably in 2026.

I have fairly low expectations but while these presentations on the whole are pretty mediocre the Pokemon day ones do typically feature at least one good announcement

That being said the rumors do not indicate that pattern continuing this year

What is actually the difference between BW and BW 2? I completely missed out on this gen back in the day. Is the region/map the same in both games?
B2W2 is a sequel to BW. There are a bunch of new areas and you go through the region in a different order.

You know, I've flipped from pessimism to optimism. We've had plenty of duds with these, it's time for a winner. I'm talking gens 1-3 on the Switch (via NSO or the eShop, it doesn't matter to me). I'm talking a Mystery Dungeon game to release in the Summer. I'm talking Black 3 & White 3. I'm talking HGSS remakes. I'm talking another Legends game.

We're gonna get it all tomorrow, and the stream isn't going to stop until we do.

I am manifesting BW3 as we speak

It is time my friends

UNOVA IS NUMBER 1 BABY IT'S IN ITS DANG NAME

UNO

Like I say every year, my top want for the Pokémon Presents is for some of the classic games to be made playable on Switch (NSO or separate, I don’t care).

I would also be happy with a faithful outsourced remake of BW (hopefully a step up from BDSP, though I think they are over-hated tbh).

I really want another Legends game, but that is probably 1-2 years away.

All I'm really hoping for are some ports of the older games. It'd probably be a massive pain in the ass since they'd probably want to integrate Pokemon Home compatibility with NSO if they went that route, but I just want these games to be officially playable again. I don't want remakes that will strip out older content for no good reason coughcoughbattlefrontiercough.

In terms of new stuff, I'd love to see another Legends game, but idk how likely that will be. The cynic in me is leaning towards ILCA BW remakes, which I have no desire to play after being underwhelmed by BDSP.

I don't know how yall play your games nor do I care. All I can give is my experience. Not like you need to be overleveled to steamroll these games anyway
Then don't dismiss other people's experiences because you didn't have the same problem yourself. Even if that's not what you intended, that's exactly how it came off. The person just asked what the common complaint is about experience share

The other reason I don't like EXP share is that it (IMO) really hurts the idea of 'hard to raise' Pokemon, or 'high reward' mons. The best OG example being Magikarp - in Red/Blue if you want to get a Gyarados especially early then you really had to work for it, since Magikarp has no damaging moves until level 15 and even then it's a shitty tackle. So the only way to level it to 20 was to have it be your lead Pokemon and then switch it out constantly, which made battles a lot harder and more tedious - but you were rewarded for that effort when it hit 20 and you had a really powerful Pokemon.

These days, you can just catch a magikarp and throw it into your party and completely forget about it and never actually use it. At some point it levels up and evolves and you go 'oh cool a Gyarados' and that's... it. You never used it in battle, you never had to change your strategy or battling for it, etc. I liked it back when you had to use Pokemon to level them up - it made the anticipation of knowing that this 'mon would be worth the time and effort, eventually, all that much sweeter.

I mean every RPG nowadays levels up all party members.Not doing that was one of the most annoying things about Octopath Traveler

I mean every RPG nowadays levels up all party members.Not doing that was one of the most annoying things about Octopath Traveler
Huh? Tons of them don't. Octopath 2 just came out last year and it does not, Persona 3 Reload doesn't, Persona 5 doesn't until you upgrade a certain confidant, SMT 5 doesn't, etc. Plus most dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey or the Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria/etc.

Its interesting to see the drastic shift against Game Freak revealing any level of mainline game
When previous years a Pokemon Presents was entirely considered underwhelming if there was nothing from Game Freak

Huh? Tons of them don't. Octopath 2 just came out last year and it does not, Persona 3 Reload doesn't, Persona 5 doesn't until you upgrade a certain confidant, SMT 5 doesn't, etc. Plus most dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey or the Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria/etc.
SMTV (and IV) does though, it just lowers the experience outside of the main party

Which actually touches on another big point imo, which is that Pokemon by default is a 1v1 system, as opposed to the 4vX of the games you mentioned. Which means without EXP share you're only leveling one Pokemon at a time, as opposed to 4 party members

The best comparison imo is protagonist Personas, and having just finished P4G recently I can confirm that not having EXP share there (not counting Growth skills) feels pretty bad. Especially compared to its sister series where you can actively level 3 demons and have others gain a bit of experience over time

SMTV does though, it just lowers the experience outside of the main party

Which actually touches on another big point imo, which is that Pokemon by default is a 1v1 system, as opposed to the 4vX of the games you mentioned. Which means without EXP share you're only leveling one Pokemon at a time, as opposed to 4 party members

The best comparison imo is protagonist Personas, and having just finished P4G recently I can confirm that not having EXP share there (not counting Growth skills) feels pretty bad. Especially compared to its sister series
Hmm you're right, I forgot that they do still get some XP in SMT but it's a lot less - so much so that if you want any demons to level up they really need to be in the main party most likely. And I kind of like only participating Pokemon getting XP! It gave you more attachment to all your 'mons since you had to actually use them to have them grow.

I would be okay with the XP share in Pokemon shifting to be similar so that the participating pokemon get dramatically more XP than the other ones, that wouldn't be a bad change. It would encourage you to use the Pokemon you want to level up, while not completely shutting out all the rest. Just tilt the numbers to be less balanced.

Hmm you're right, I forgot that they do still get some XP in SMT but it's a lot less - so much so that if you want any demons to level up they really need to be in the main party most likely. And I kind of like only participating Pokemon getting XP! It gave you more attachment to all your 'mons since you had to actually use them to have them grow.

I would be okay with the XP share in Pokemon shifting to be similar so that the participating pokemon get dramatically more XP than the other ones, that wouldn't be a bad change. It would encourage you to use the Pokemon you want to level up, while not completely shutting out all the rest. Just tilt the numbers to be less balanced.
Yeah I get what you're saying. I guess for me personally I just feel like I typically end up using a good variety of Pokemon just to cover type advantages, so I never feel like I'm neglecting any. Like if a 'mon is in my party I'm already actively using it

Plus with the Switch games I've just been taking advantage of PC access from anywhere and the EXP share to just use any Pokemon that even vaguely interests me, and honestly it's my favorite way to play the series thus far. So the EXP share changes have been strictly beneficial from my point of view, though I acknowledge that has mostly to do with how I play the games

Yeah I get what you're saying. I guess for me personally I just feel like I typically end up using a good variety of Pokemon just to cover type advantages, so I never feel like I'm neglecting any. Like if a 'mon is in my party I'm already actively using it

Plus with the Switch games I've just been taking advantage of PC access from anywhere and the EXP share to just use any Pokemon that even vaguely interests me, and honestly it's my favorite way to play the series thus far. So the EXP share changes have been strictly beneficial from my point of view, though I acknowledge that has mostly to do with how I play the games
I did the same thing in Scar/Vi and I think that's a really great way to do it! It's definitely led to me using more Pokemon I wouldn't use otherwise, and it's probably a good thing overall. I guess I'm just a little nostalgic for how it used to be maybe :p. But with open world and PC access anywhere I think that this way does make a lot more sense.

What is actually the difference between BW and BW 2? I completely missed out on this gen back in the day. Is the region/map the same in both games?
There is a lot, really, other than the "updated version" angle, they are the first second versions to be a direct sequel, and not an updated version. So for example, you'll see areas in BW that were being built, and in BW2 that construction will be complete.

There's completely new Pokemon first of all. BW had you only play the game with the new Pokemon introduced in Unova, where BW2 allows you to use Pokemon from the previous generations. The way you progress through the map is different. You start off in a new area that was previously inaccessible, there's new gyms, so much.

Originally I was expecting a situation similar to 2021: an outsourced remake (like BDSP) for November and a new Legends for Q1 25, now I’m wondering if they pushed new Legends to November 2025 so they can have an extra year for gen 10 (and release it for Pokémon 30th anniversary).
Could happen but 2 years of Unova content seems unlikely, not that I’m complaining though it’d be a dream come true haha

ILCA seems too busy to do another Pokemon RPG so I would wonder who would make an outsourced Pokemon RPG for 2024.
ah, you didn't hear this from me, but I've heard there was a certain Team Asano game that caught Game Freak's eye, and the dev is now working with Game Freak. I'm of course referring to none other than Doki Doki Grooveworks, the developers behind Various Daylife

maybe Artdink is free to do an HD-2D style remake

EXP share would be relatively okay if it was like 20% for non-participants instead of 50%. (Still like a 100% bonus exp and would result in a little overleveling in most pre gen 7/8 games but eh I'd still take it at this point).

A mod for 30% exp share for gen 8/9 still left me a little over levelled if I engaged with the content but it wasn't horrendous, I could have rotated a team of 10 or less to keep roughly even which seems reasonable.

The less said about the BDSP affection system also the better. I just wanted to interact with my mon once to see the animation and it immediately starts dodging moves.

Because I don't care and pay attention to remake pattern... I just feel like it too soon for BW remake. Even "new gen pattern" mean nothing to me, I just know it has to be at least 3 years because that was how long to make a new game.
It will be 3 years in November though. As was let's go when bdsp came out.

Last edited:
time to standardize triple battles
I thought triple battles and rotation battles were pretty fun as something new and different, at least for PVE stuff. I'd like to see them experiment more with that in the future (or at least B/W remakes)

The one where BDSP and Legends were announced was over 20 minutes long. Unless they cut out a ton of the mobile game and other media fluff, it’s not looking good for a new remake and Legends announcement.
I was about to say that 12 minutes feels VERY short for how long they usually talk about mobile stuff

The one where BDSP and Legends were announced was over 20 minutes long. Unless they cut out a ton of the mobile game and other media fluff, it’s not looking good for a new remake and Legends announcement.
Wait, are people really expecting both again? I must have missed something.

I wasn't expecting two games anyway. I think it'll be one Unova game that's neither Legends nor a BDSP style remake. It'll be something different.

I’m not really interested in the scarlet and violet dlc, but yeah, I’m ready for a new or remade pokemon game I haven’t played yet!

(Glances nervously at the still unwrapped copies of the 3ds Pokemon games I have and will probably never get to….)

Ok 13 mins means Unite, Cafe, new merch collab, pinball on NSO, Mystery Dungeon this fall

the end

Back
Top Bottom