• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pokémon Legends Z-A announced for Nintendo Switch, releasing in 2025

If the game doesn’t see this version of the city then why spend the majority of the trailer on it? An announcement trailer focusing almost entirely on something not even in the game would be a bizarre choice, especially pairing it with electronic music. This isn’t even touching on the clothing in the actual architect’s drawing being modern. I do think the city shown in the trailer is definitely the “final” version, but I think that we’ll reach that version of the city at the end, not at some point years after the end of the game.
1.) Maybe they wanted to introduce the game with a version of Lumiose that most people watching would recognize. This also applies to the music thing
2.) I really don’t think the clothes being modern in the blueprints means anything at all. Even if I‘m wrong, the clothes being modern could mean virtually anything, it doesn’t have to be a hint

Didn't have time to look through this thread but I haven't been keeping up fully, based on what I do know though (and I apologize for the cynicism)

Is there any reason to discount the possibility of this being a very early 2025 release and gen 10 being revealed right after for holiday release (like what happened with PLA and SV)?

Didn't have time to look through this thread but I haven't been keeping up fully, based on what I do know though (and I apologize for the cynicism)

Is there any reason to discount the possibility of this being a very early 2025 release and gen 10 being revealed right after for holiday release (like what happened with PLA and SV)?
For PLA's reveal, they had in-game footage and specified early 2022 off the bat. ZA otoh did a CGI trailer with barely anything besides a setting and vague premise, only having a non-specific 2025 as a release window.

There's no reason to believe it's even early 2025. Arceus was "early 2022" from the start

1.) Maybe they wanted to introduce the game with a version of Lumiose that most people watching would recognize. This also applies to the music thing
2.) I really don’t think the clothes being modern in the blueprints means anything at all. Even if I‘m wrong, the clothes being modern could mean virtually anything, it doesn’t have to be a hint
Accord to the Japanese Pokemon twitter it’s not the Lumiose we know though. And if it was and the game didn’t take place there that again begs the question of why would they make it the entire trailer? If they were just showing something we’d be familiar with they would have needed to follow it up with something different to actually establish that the game doesn’t take place in modern Lumiose.
The clothing is very much an intentional detail, and it means that clothing existed when the plans were made for the redevelopment and helps establish the setting.

Ultimately it’s all speculation, but PLA was announced at the same time of year and its announcement trailer specified “Early 2022” and even showed gameplay. The lack of “Early 2025” in this trailer says to me that at the very least if they are targeting that period they aren’t 100% committed to it and aren’t sure they can hit that. My money is on Summer/Fall though.

Another point for speculation is that they‘ve recently openly talked about looking into ways to avoid another SV situation, and certainly part of that game’s issues was the fact that it and PLA launched so close together. Having a bigger gap between ZA and Gen X would be very beneficial.

There’s also the existence of Switch 2. Would they really want to release a new Pokemon Gen on Switch right after Switch 2 released? It’s unlikely it’d be a Switch 2 game so early in that system’s life, so 2025 is kind of a no man’s land on for what platform to release a new Pokemon gen. Sure cross gen is an option, but that also still means having to continue to support Switch for awhile, which they might not want to do, not to mention cross gen would be limiting on what they could do. GF more than any other 2nd and 1st party Nintendo dev could use the extra horsepower.

Another thing that a lot of people ignore is that PLA’s legs got destroyed by SV’s announcement. It went on to sell 15 million, amazing numbers, but something like 12 or 13 million of those were sold in the first 2 months it was out. A longer gap would allow ZA to sell more units.

One final thing to consider is that 2026 is actually the 30th anniversary of the franchise, so a new Gen would be a great way to celebrate that.

Last edited:
Actually I noticed that the map of Lumiose is rotated. I inverted the colours and painted the channel/water in blue. If you rotate we can actually spot some important buildings on the map which are highlighted!

nxuPuoh.png

Maybe this has been stated before in this thread, but Pokémon Z-A's European eShop page has some interesting details.

1. It exists already, and can be wishlisted.
2. Save Data Cloud - Not supported.
3. It's not unrated or rating pending, but already has Pegi 7 (Provisional), implying that they have enough work done to present content to PEGI.

Maybe this has been stated before in this thread, but Pokémon Z-A's European eShop page has some interesting details.

3. It's not unrated or rating pending, but already has Pegi 7 (Provisional), implying that they have enough work done to present content to PEGI.
This sounds to me like it’s an early 2025 release, possibly held back to release closer to the launch of Switch 2.

It's just a provisional PEGI rating tho. Elden Ring had a Provisional Pegi Rating since 2019 I think. The game has no USK rating just now. If it was a early 2025 release they would have said so and shown gameplay, just like they did with Arceus.

This sounds to me like it’s an early 2025 release, possibly held back to release closer to the launch of Switch 2.
I'm torn on this. Really, I kind of hope it's closer to holiday 2025 because Pokémon games need time in the oven. That said, give it to me cross gen at launch and I'm going to explode with excitement, that would be so ideal, so long as it got the love and attention it needed. Of course I WANT it sooner, but I also want it to have the development time it needs.

I very genuinely hope it's the only Pokémon game between now and 2026's Gen 10 to give it and LZA the time they need.

Given we seem to know the layout already, along with a (provisional) rating, it does seem like it's probably further along than they're letting on.

All this said, we could still get outsourced remakes between now and Gen 10, wouldn't everyone just LOVE that. 😅

Also on the matter of PLZA, the official pronunciation of "Z-A" is apparently "Z to A", but I've been saying "PLZA" like "plaza", or just "za".

I'm torn on this. Really, I kind of hope it's closer to holiday 2025 because Pokémon games need time in the oven. That said, give it to me cross gen at launch and I'm going to explode with excitement, that would be so ideal, so long as it got the love and attention it needed. Of course I WANT it sooner, but I also want it to have the development time it needs.

I very genuinely hope it's the only Pokémon game between now and 2026's Gen 10 to give it and LZA the time they need.

Given we seem to know the layout already, along with a (provisional) rating, it does seem like it's probably further along than they're letting on.

All this said, we could still get outsourced remakes between now and Gen 10, wouldn't everyone just LOVE that. 😅

Also on the matter of PLZA, the official pronunciation of "Z-A" is apparently "Z to A", but I've been saying "PLZA" like "plaza", or just "za".
If there was a traditional remake coming this year, they would've announced it at that presents.

I'm not so certain, but I hope you're right.
Both the main gen and the secondary release team at GF are occupied atm, so if it exists it has to be outsourced
The only Pokemon games that were announced outside of their own presentations were spinoffs. So being outsourced wouldn't make a difference in this case.

Edit: Also like one user said above you Concernt, provisional ratings are based on expectations of what a game's final rating will be. Some games get it a couple of months or years before the finalized rating.

Last edited:

I would love it, personally. I want the Gen 5 games to be preserved. Not to mention Gens 1-3.

The only Pokemon games that were announced outside of their own presentations were spinoffs. So being outsourced wouldn't make a difference in this case.
But there's a summer Pokémon Presents to go yet.

Also like one user said above you Concernt, provisional ratings are based on expectations of what a game's final rating will be. Some games get it a couple of months or years before the finalized rating.
Yes and no- not all games get them, they don't just go on 'vibes', they show actual in-progress work.

ORAS and LGPE were both announced later in the year
I actually looked into this the other day: according to Bulbapedia's page on Pokemon Presents, ORAS and LGPE were in years without a Pokemon Day/January presentation. Ever since SwSh's announcement TPC has been using Pokemon Day (outside of SwSh's DLC, but that was still in January) to launch their plans for the year and announce the annual title. There's still a theoretical chance it exists, but if there's a 2024 game, it would've been announced by now.

Actually I noticed that the map of Lumiose is rotated. I inverted the colours and painted the channel/water in blue. If you rotate we can actually spot some important buildings on the map which are highlighted!

nxuPuoh.png
really weird as it would mean that north is in the bottom left corner. and Prism Tower is rotated even when the rest of the city is aligned.

I actually looked into this the other day: according to Bulbapedia's page on Pokemon Presents, ORAS and LGPE were in years without a Pokemon Day/January presentation. Ever since SwSh's announcement TPC has been using Pokemon Day (outside of SwSh's DLC, but that was still in January) to launch their plans for the year and announce the annual title. There's still a theoretical chance it exists, but if there's a 2024 game, it would've been announced by now.
Fair. Still, we will probably see something this year. Remake, spinoff, NSO... I can't seem them going a whole year with nothing. Maybe some announcements got thrown off by the Switch 2 delay or something.

Games can have provisional PEGI ratings years in advance.

Fair. Still, we will probably see something this year. Remake, spinoff, NSO... I can't seem them going a whole year with nothing. Maybe some announcements got thrown off by the Switch 2 delay or something.
It would most definitely be a spinoff or something related to NSO since TPC from what I know only do one presentation a year and those type of games have a way higher chance of being announced in Nintendo Directs.

I'm not so certain, but I hope you're right.
We should see them this summer/autumn. It is not unprecedented for pokemon games to be shown later in the year and TPC want to avoid any unnecessary backlash and make sure the remakes are as polished as possible. As opposed to BDSP which were criticised on reveal for the visuals.

It would most definitely be a spinoff or something related to NSO since TPC from what I know only do one presentation a year and those type of games have a way higher chance of being announced in Nintendo Directs.
They always do 2 a year. One in February and one in August. But most of the major announcements do happen in February.

We should see them this summer/autumn. It is not unprecedented for pokemon games to be shown later in the year and TPC want to avoid any unnecessary backlash and make sure the remakes are as polished as possible. As opposed to BDSP which were criticised on reveal for the visuals.
It is vaguely possible that the only reason BDSP were revealed so early was because of the tie-in with Arceus. If ILCA are working on a remake, it'll probably be BW, not XY... so no need for a simultaneous release with Legends Z-A.

I really can't see another Pokemon game this year, probably just continuing with new mobile events and maybe a few last ScaVi raids, they could bring Walking Wake etc. back which would be a big deal for those who missed out on them. If PLZA releases early 2025, there's no real need to have another one.

I really can't see another Pokemon game this year, probably just continuing with new mobile events and maybe a few last ScaVi raids, they could bring Walking Wake etc. back which would be a big deal for those who missed out on them. If PLZA releases early 2025, there's no real need to have another one.
TPC wont say no to the money some outsourced remakes will make them this holiday. Do we need them? No. But Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises in the world, they wont miss out on selling us games this holiday.

I honestly think they might intentionally not be outsourcing remakes anymore, at least for a while. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl sold well, but were not well received at all. It was damaging to the Pokémon brand, and GameFreak probably feels regretful of that since it was the one mainline entry they didn't develop themselves.

I honestly think they might intentionally not be outsourcing remakes anymore, at least for a while. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl sold well, but were not well received at all. It was damaging to the Pokémon brand, and GameFreak probably feels regretful of that since it was the one mainline entry they didn't develop themselves.
It’s not like ILCA are bad devs, the game likely had a ridiculously short dev time and small budget, which would be TPC/GF’s fault. Give them a proper amount of time and resources and they’d probably make something that would please fans
I really don’t think it was as damaging to the brand as SV’s issues, which in and of itself will only really be damaging if those issues continue in future titles.
I would not be shocked to see an outsourced BW remake next gen. I don’t think the lack of a remake this gen has anything to do with BDSP, TPC and GF probably just decided to not do a remake this gen, much like during Gen V.

What If A is meant to be for Aster? They were the lorekeeper before Zinnia in Oras.
My money is all on “A” representing a new Pokemon and the pattern on it is themed to it, just like the hexagons on Z for Zygarde.

Last edited:
Would’ve been announced on Pokémon Day. And it doesn’t make sense to release BW remakes so soon especially with Legend ZA happening

It makes sense to announce PLZA at pokemon day and give to an outsourced remake a shorter marketing cicle imho.
After the BDSP backlash is plausible that they want to announce it when it's as polished as possible.

I don’t know if @Goopy Snail is reliable but I wouldn’t be surprised if TPC will release an outsourced project this fall (gen5, gen2 or a XY remaster).

I don’t know if @Goopy Snail is reliable but I wouldn’t be surprised if TPC will release an outsourced project this fall (gen5, gen2 or a XY remaster).
I wouldn't be surprised if it was XY remasters. It fits with the Legends game and it puts fans on edge if they're getting Gen 5 remakes/Legends games so when they finally do announce them, it'll be a big deal

I'm really curious about this supposed black and white game.

Khu mentions a unova game however he seems very questionable and it's really uncertain whether he's half lying or just completely out of the loop on insider info beyond sv.

Pyoro has been pretty reliable and said he heard about an outsourced unova game last year but did emphasize to take the info with a grain of salt.

Not really sure about goopy snail and probably won't know till we see the next presents.

Quoted by: Tye
I feel like they'll want to do a Gen 5 remake while doing the Legends game for Unova. The promotional stuff plays into each other so they won't be doing Gen 5 until they have Gen6 legends out of the way.
Assuming we get anything Pokemon this year, could be Gen 6 HD Remasters?

Or a complete curveball like how Legends Z-A was and we'll be getting, not an Explorers of the Sky remake, but rather an entirely new original Mystery Dungeon game

Or Pokemon Warriors

I'm really curious about this supposed black and white game.

Khu mentions a unova game however he seems very questionable and it's really uncertain whether he's half lying or just completely out of the loop on insider info beyond sv.

Pyoro has been pretty reliable and said he heard about an outsourced unova game last year but did emphasize to take the info with a grain of salt.

Not really sure about goopy snail and probably won't know till we see the next presents.
Hasn’t Khu admitted to fucking with people? Like, apparently Khu did legitimately leak the code name for Legends: Z-A…but that’s it, and all the Unova stuff was just Khu fucking with everyone (or perhaps they only knew the code name and nothing else and had just assumed it would be Unova related, and after the reveal they tried to pass it all off as a “joke”).

It makes sense to announce PLZA at pokemon day and give to an outsourced remake a shorter marketing cicle imho.
After the BDSP backlash is plausible that they want to announce it when it's as polished as possible.

No, it doesn't make sense actually. If a traditional remake was happening this year, they would've announced it.

Khu seemed pretty adamant Gen V was happening too so I wouldn't be surprised. Also wouldn't be the first time Pokemon Company didn't announce a game during Pokemon Day that is coming out the same year

We will see tho

If Gen V only gets ILCA remakes and not a proper Legends game it is getting done so dirty

We have no reason to believe that TPC is going to follow previous patterns with their announcements. The dual announcement of BDSP and LA proved that. The announcement of LZA proved it again.

At this point there have been multiple people, including Pyoro, reporting outsourced Unova games for 2024. It's not a guarantee, but it's definitely a distinct possibility as of now.

Let's wait a few months and see what happens, yeah?

Khu seemed pretty adamant Gen V was happening too so I wouldn't be surprised. Also wouldn't be the first time Pokemon Company didn't announce a game during Pokemon Day that is coming out the same year

We will see tho

If Gen V only gets ILCA remakes and not a proper Legends game it is getting done so dirty
Again... I feel like Game Freak are treating The Indigo Disk as their Unova game. They don't trust that Legends Unova will sell because the Gen 5 games sold so poorly at the time. Plus, Unova doesn't need a revamp nearly as much as Kalos does.

Back
Top Bottom