• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon General ST | Here's My Pokédex Number, So Kalos Me Maybe

Will you be giving the new anime starring Liko and Roy a chance?

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

EvilChameleon

Rockenberg Enthusiast
Pronouns
he/him
New-Banner-Final.png

Bonjour and welcome to the Famiboards Pokémon General ST, your one stop shop for all things Pokémon games, anime, cards, and more! Wanna talk about that time you beat the Elite Four with just a Pidgey? Go ahead! Want to chat about your favorite trading card game booster pack pulls? Post 'em! Have memories of Team Rocket blasting off again that you want to share? Share it!

Let's get underway!

Newest-Game-Banner.png

Scarlet-Boxart.png
Violet-Boxart.png

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
Released: November 18th, 2022

Check out the ST here!

Newest-Spinoff.png

unitelogo.png

Pokémon Unite
Released: July 21st, 2021 for Nintendo Switch, and September 22nd, 2021 for iOS and Android

NSOGames.png

Here's a quick and dirty list of Pokémon games available for your perusal on the Nintendo Switch Online service. All games so far require the Expansion Pack.
Pokémon Snap (N64) [Released June 24th, 2022]
Pokémon Puzzle League (N64) [Released July 15th, 2022]
Pokémon Stadium (N64) [Released April 12th, 2023]
Pokémon
Stadium 2 (N64) [Released August 8th, 2023]
Pokémon TCG (GBC) [Released August 8th, 2023]

currentanime.png

Poke-Horizons-Logo.png

Pokémon: Horizons, a brand new anime series starring Liko and Roy, debuted April 14th, 2023 in Japan, with a two part salvo. No English dub has been announced yet, but when it has, you can be sure I'll bring that information to you here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 15th, 2023 EC Update:
Hey everyone! So I haven't updated the poll as often as I said, nor the OP itself, but that has changed today. As I type this, I have put in a request with the mods for a new poll, and I have finally refreshed the post to reflect the current state of the Pokémon world. Scarlet & Violet now grace the "Newest Mainline Game" section, the "NSO Games" section has been updated to reflect the Pokémon Stadium release, and the "Current Anime" section has a quick blurb about the Horizons anime that just started yesterday in Japan.

I have also removed the "Latest TCG" section, because with the releases being staggered around the world, that section was almost impossible for me to update in a fashion that I found acceptable.​

Last edited:
Ooh, a Pokemon thread! I'll definitely be popping in here a lot.

I have trouble picking a Kalos Gym Leader because a lot of them didn't leave much of an impression - not being in the story and not being a kid watching the anime will do that. But I enjoy Wulfric - his pre-battle quote about being either challenging or super easy was pretty memorable.

Well done on this ST, @EvilChameleon! We could definitely stand to see more series-specific STs, and I'm glad Pokémon now has one.

Hey, thanks a lot for your effort creating this ST @EvilChameleon .

Regarding the gym leader, I only played X and Y once, and can't remember much from the games tbh, so I will abstain from this poll.

Gotta get back into Platinum. I'm (slowly) going through each gen (sort of - I'm either doing a remake or a third version for the gens where that's an option) as I never really played much of the mainline games. I did FireRed and Emerald already, and now I'm on Platinum. Gonna do SoulSilver after this.

I honestly don't think I remember any of the Kalos gym leaders.

In general my memory of X/Y is "I had a lot of fun with the game! I remember none of it."

This year I've played a lot of Pokemon. I finished up BDSP over the winter before starting up Legends Arceus. Played that game to near 100%, though I skipped some of the new challenges added in the patch. Then I was itching to play FireRed again, so I downloaded an improvement patch that kept things pretty vanilla to gen 3 but added a bunch of tweaks and enhancements, and it was one of my favorite Pokemon experiences yet. 100% completed pretty much everything the game had to offer, and I even completed the game's expanded Pokedex. It's the way to play through FRLG in my eyes - highly recommended to anyone who wants an enhanced but still vanilla experience.

I'm doing the same for Emerald right now, but I'm taking it a lot slower and I'm a little less satisfied with my team (types are fine but the coverage and power can leave a bit to be desired)w. I've beat the eight gym leaders but I may be a little burned out. I'm all in for Scarlet, though!

Huh, we didn’t have an ST for Pokemon before. Kinda strange to think about.

As for Kalos gym leaders I honestly don’t remember any of them, so yeah… none of the above I guess.

Since BDSP, I've completed 7 nuzlockes, played Legends: Arceus, and am currently trying to complete a Renegade Platinum nuzlocke. I guess I like Pokémon a little bit.

Clemont's my favorite Kalos gym leader by virtue of the anime.

I never realized we didn't have a Pokemon ST! Great ST. I'm really looking forward to Scarlet/Violet, hoping they really deliver on a lot of the potential that they seem to have.

This year I've played a lot of Pokemon. I finished up BDSP over the winter before starting up Legends Arceus. Played that game to near 100%, though I skipped some of the new challenges added in the patch. Then I was itching to play FireRed again, so I downloaded an improvement patch that kept things pretty vanilla to gen 3 but added a bunch of tweaks and enhancements, and it was one of my favorite Pokemon experiences yet. 100% completed pretty much everything the game had to offer, and I even completed the game's expanded Pokedex. It's the way to play through FRLG in my eyes - highly recommended to anyone who wants an enhanced but still vanilla experience.

I'm doing the same for Emerald right now, but I'm taking it a lot slower and I'm a little less satisfied with my team (types are fine but the coverage and power can leave a bit to be desired)w. I've beat the eight gym leaders but I may be a little burned out. I'm all in for Scarlet, though!
This post reminds me of how, in 2019, I went through all the regions again in order before Sword & Shield released. Easily the most Pokemon I ever played in one year. Thought about doing something similar this year before Scarlet & Violet release, but I was just too engrossed in other games.

Speaking of S/V: The games launch two months from today! Seems very soon, suddenly, I'm not sure how that happened

I am not and will not ever be into competitive Pokemon, but I find this guy's videos super interesting. He replicates world championship winning teams without hacking to see how long it takes. He uses RNG manipulation, but he makes a good argument for that. For example, in this gen 6 video it took him over 80 hours to build the team from start to finish, but without RNG tricks it would have been effectively impossible.

I am not and will not ever be into competitive Pokemon, but I find this guy's videos super interesting. He replicates world championship winning teams without hacking to see how long it takes. He uses RNG manipulation, but he makes a good argument for that. For example, in this gen 6 video it took him over 80 hours to build the team from start to finish, but without RNG tricks it would have been effectively impossible.

Oh hey, I have that 3DS! Still one of my favorite-looking systems, even if X/Y are pretty low on my list of Pokemon games.

If anyone wants to try to get into competitive training (again), don't hesitate to summon me. It's not as scary as the tales would have you believe, these days. As long as you're happy not going too fancy - like double 0 IV, legendaries and shinies fancy - in your team building plans, I can probably give you a leg-up. Though we'll all be starting from scratch for at least the first couple weeks or months in Scarlet & Violet.

Did You Know Gaming posted a really interesting video the other day, it's a good watch:

Gear Project was so tragic. GF was desperate to be known for anything besides Pokemon, to the point they sacrificed Kalos and Masuda was actively pleading to fans to check out their other games. Yet in the end, not only was it a massive failure by itself, it became something fans resented as something taking away from Pokemon. Must have been the most depressing shit imaginable.

So, new trailer probably next week at this point? Since they've been announcing them in advance I don't think we're getting one this week.

Is anyone thinking of getting the special edition OLED for Scarlet and Violet?

I am on the fence, it looks nice, but I already have an OLED switch and I am curious if there will be a Zelda themed OLED.

Did You Know Gaming posted a really interesting video the other day, it's a good watch:

Gear Project was so tragic. GF was desperate to be known for anything besides Pokemon, to the point they sacrificed Kalos and Masuda was actively pleading to fans to check out their other games. Yet in the end, not only was it a massive failure by itself, it became something fans resented as something taking away from Pokemon. Must have been the most depressing shit imaginable.

It truly is a shame that the Gear Project didn't amount to much. The idea to do more than just Pokemon is a valid approach. Being on the same franchise forever is very draining. And there was some interesting stuff there. HarmoKnight is a neat rhythm platformer (even if it's not my thing), and people seemed to like Pocket Card Jockey. But the marketing just was not there. Pretty much all of their games flew under the radar, and critically most of them were received...alright? I don't think anyone gave a crap about Tembo beyond it not being on the Wii U, Giga Wrecker at least has somewhat of a Steam audience after a re-release at least, and Little Town Hero...poor Little Town Hero. You got Game Freak hoping people will buy their games and watch their YouTube, but then someone like Masahiro Sakurai can fund his own YouTube channel in English and Japanese and get a bunch of views and subs.

I feel for Game Freak and I want them to do better, but I am also pretty baffled by them all the same,

It truly is a shame that the Gear Project didn't amount to much. The idea to do more than just Pokemon is a valid approach. Being on the same franchise forever is very draining. And there was some interesting stuff there. HarmoKnight is a neat rhythm platformer (even if it's not my thing), and people seemed to like Pocket Card Jockey. But the marketing just was not there. Pretty much all of their games flew under the radar, and critically most of them were received...alright? I don't think anyone gave a crap about Tembo beyond it not being on the Wii U, Giga Wrecker at least has somewhat of a Steam audience after a re-release at least, and Little Town Hero...poor Little Town Hero. You got Game Freak hoping people will buy their games and watch their YouTube, but then someone like Masahiro Sakurai can fund his own YouTube channel in English and Japanese and get a bunch of views and subs.

I feel for Game Freak and I want them to do better, but I am also pretty baffled by them all the same,
Someone in the comments nailed it - despite working on the series for over 25 years and having their name show up on start every time, Game Freak has 0 star power, especially among the casual audience. "A new IP by the Pokemon developer" should be something that turns heads, but it's never met with anything more than a collective "oh neat". To rub the salt in the wound, when GF is actually centered... it's to highlight how they've been fucking up

I mean no disrespect to GF, but their non-Pokemon games have ranged from flawed to slightly above decent. Giga Wrecker had potential though and I hope they can revisit that IP.

Someone in the comments nailed it - despite working on the series for over 25 years and having their name show up on start every time, Game Freak has 0 star power, especially among the casual audience. "A new IP by the Pokemon developer" should be something that turns heads, but it's never met with anything more than a collective "oh neat". To rub the salt in the wound, when GF is actually centered... it's to highlight how they've been fucking up
The sad thing is seeing another company in a similar situation do just fine in this place. HAL Laboratories mostly sticks to Kirby, advertises and brands the heck outta the pink puffball and his friends. And yet the Boxboy series and Part-Time UFO seemed to do just fine for them. Well rated, successful enough to have BoxBoy be a second franchise across two consoles at any rate. It's a shame that Game Freak couldn't make a similar leap.

Pocket Card Jockey is a better work than any Pokemon game of the 3D era and worth sacrificing a hypothetical Pokemon Z for as well as Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on top.

That said, I'm a bit skeptical of the video's thesis since Pokemon skipping a year wasn't unusual back then and both team size math and release timeline are tenuous.

Last edited:
Pocket Card Jockey is a better work than any Pokemon game of the 3D era and worth sacrificing a hypothetical Pokemon Z for as well as Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on top.
The fact that I can't tell if this is mighty praise for Pocket Card Jockey or massive criticism for modern Pokémon says a lot, doesn't it?

i don't think it's much different with most devs. a Nintendo game is just a Nintendo game. most people don't know that Luigi's Mansion 3 is NLG. everything is just a Nintendo game, and the nebulous Nintendo made it. i think people also associate The Pokemon Company with being GF itself.

that aside, people definitely know mainline games, as they always sell monumentally better than anything else.

The fact that I can't tell if this is mighty praise for Pocket Card Jockey or massive criticism for modern Pokémon says a lot, doesn't it?

Alright, if you must be that way. Pocket Card Jockey > every Pokemon game since Red/Green/Blue.

I also don't know if there's much to suggest Game Freak's non-Pokemon titles are more or less critically and commercially successful than HAL's non-Kirby efforts.

Alright, if you must be that way. Pocket Card Jockey > every Pokemon game since Red/Green/Blue.

I also don't know if there's much to suggest Game Freak's non-Pokemon titles are more or less critically and commercially successful than HAL's non-Kirby efforts.
Well, given that they made four BoxBoy titles, released an Amiibo, and continue to reference the character, they at least show interest in trying to cultivate and maintain the brand. Meanwhile most of the Game Freak projects are one-offs save Giga Wrecker's updated version. If not a measure of success, it at least shows that they wanted to build an IP.

...so, uh. How about them Pocket Monsters? I still have that Emerald run I gotta complete...Splatoon took my time, and now so many other games are pecking at me. Still wanna finish it before Scarlet comes out...

Do any folks here have any extra codes for shiny eternatus from GameStop (or local equivalent) they would be willing to share? Mine either didn't get them in, or is giving me some sort of runaround.

Edit: Never mind, I went to another part of town and a very kind employee gave me what I needed!

Last edited:

That said, I'm a bit skeptical of the video's thesis since Pokemon skipping a year wasn't unusual back then and both team size math and release timeline are tenuous.
I haven't watched the video, but there's some pretty good reasons to believe there was a canceled Z (or some XZ/YZ pair or something) because of everything surrounding the Zygarde forms and Ash Greninja, Eternal Flower Floette, complete with signature move (the name of which can appear in game), going completely unused, and I believe there's even a reserved pair of constants in the game code to indicate Pokémon are from Z. There's just no reason to doubt that there was a canceled project there with all the obvious fallout from it.

I haven't watched the video, but there's some pretty good reasons to believe there was a canceled Z (or some XZ/YZ pair or something) because of everything surrounding the Zygarde forms and Ash Greninja, Eternal Flower Floette, complete with signature move (the name of which can appear in game), going completely unused, and I believe there's even a reserved pair of constants in the game code to indicate Pokémon are from Z. There's just no reason to doubt that there was a canceled project there with all the obvious fallout from it.

Almost any game code shows vestiges of unused ideas and traces of cut features. It's possible development of X & Y proceeded as if there would be a third version, then plans changed in favor of transitioning directly into Sun & Moon before a theoretical Z could progress into an actual project. To go from there to stating 2015 didn't see a mainline Pokemon release because Tembo the Badass Elephant took up twenty people is a leap.

Almost any game code shows vestiges of unused ideas and traces of cut features. It's possible development of X & Y proceeded as if there would be a third version, then plans changed in favor of transitioning directly into Sun & Moon before a theoretical Z could progress into an actual project. To go from there to stating 2015 didn't see a mainline Pokemon release because Tembo the Badass Elephant took up twenty people is a leap.
Like I said, no idea what arguments the video even makes. I'm just saying that some version of Z was plainly a part of the original plan for Gen 6, and at least some substantial design work was completed on it before it got cancelled. To claim otherwise just seems absurd, given the evidence.

That said, I do think the speculation at the time that it was canned to rush out Sun and Moon for 2016 to hit the anniversary year and the Pokémon Go release year was probably correct.

Does anyone here still play or collect the TCG?

If you want to give Sword and Shield Max Raid Battles one last hurrah, definitely check out the event running this weekend:

It features Glastrier and Spectrier as the top tier bosses, and while you can't catch them, they do have a guaranteed Ability Capsule drop, as well as other rare items like rare berries and a chance at bottle caps.

Pretty good way to farm Ability Capsules, and while you won't be able to send them directly to Scarlet and Violet, you can always use them in Sword and Shield on your desired Pokemon (assuming they can enter Sword and Shield).

There may be more interesting Wild Area events in the coming few days, since the Wild Area events will be ending on November 1st.

Is the appropriate place to seek trades on Fami? I tried searching and this seems like the closest fit. I have several PLA-caught Shinies, HA-bred starters, and Dynamax Adventure caught legendaries to trade in exchange for a few missing Pokemon for my Living Dex. :)

There may be more interesting Wild Area events in the coming few days, since the Wild Area events will be ending on November 1st.

Hoping for an event that let's me farm Ability Patches after the precedent this one sets. With BP, Bottle Caps and Ability Capsules in ample supply, Hidden Abilities are pretty much the only bottleneck left in developing my Hall of Fame teams of past playthroughs into their best selves.

Is the appropriate place to seek trades on Fami? I tried searching and this seems like the closest fit. I have several PLA-caught Shinies, HA-bred starters, and Dynamax Adventure caught legendaries to trade in exchange for a few missing Pokemon for my Living Dex. :)

I'd actually be interested in trading for nothing more outlandish than a few Hissuian exclusives for my own Living Dex. I figure the regional forms will be available if not in Violet & Scarlet than some future title, but it'd be nice to get a head-start on filling in my collection.

Draw up a list of what you need and I'll get to work.

Another entry in the "how long does it take to build a competitive team without hacking?" series, this time gen 8. It took blisy 29 hours to put this team together, which is a huge improvement over previous gens and he says that he thinks that's a reasonable amount of time to build a team. But there's a couple things wrong with that opinion - first, he's still using RNG manips and date skips; and second, 29 hours is still a huge time commitment and is really in no way reasonable for a casual player looking to get into competitive pokemon. This topic is discussed in a little more detail at the end of the video.

Another entry in the "how long does it take to build a competitive team without hacking?" series, this time gen 8. It took blisy 29 hours to put this team together, which is a huge improvement over previous gens and he says that he thinks that's a reasonable amount of time to build a team. But there's a couple things wrong with that opinion - first, he's still using RNG manips and date skips; and second, 29 hours is still a huge time commitment and is really in no way reasonable for a casual player looking to get into competitive pokemon. This topic is discussed in a little more detail at the end of the video.

The team picked for this experiment represents the end state of competitive pokemon - not only as team meant for the highest level of tournament play but also in that it is the final form of the Sword & Shield meta after three years of development.

A casual player looking to get into competitive pokemon would start with a team of fully mass-catchable or breedable pokemon, at the beginning of the generation, before the introduction of legendaries which are always the most prohibitive, time-consuming and exploit-dependant ressource sink in these "How long does it take..." videos. The first time restricted pokemon were allowed in VGC was more than one year after release.

I'd quibble over details of the training process as shown here, but the important takeaway is that, while there's more streamlining to be done, exaggerating how arduous of a task team building is similarly does a disservice to players interested in online battling by scaring them away. Breeding Litten and Grookey took one hour each. That's not that unreasonable.

NGL looking forward to seeing TCG art for some of the new Pokémon. So many possibilities for the ghost doggo.

It feels like it’s been a weirdly controversy free hype cycle this time around.

I like how Morty's dialogue has him talk about how he's training in order to be able to meet the legendary Pokémon. Early Pokémon games don't really treat most of the NPCs as characters, so it's notable that he gets to talk about his own motivations as a trainer.

Morty benefitted a lot from the physical/special split, with his Gengar's Shadow Ball hitting almost twice as hard in HGSS than it did in GSC. He's a decent challenge that takes some strategy, since the Normal-types that can take Shadow Balls can't hit back with STAB and are still threatened by Sucker Punch. It's a little odd that they didn't give him a Misdreavus, even in HGSS, though unless they gave it moves like Psybeam or Pain Split, it wouldn't differentiate itself too much from Gastly or Haunter.

Back
Top Bottom