• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon General ST | Here's My Pokédex Number, So Kalos Me Maybe

Will you be giving the new anime starring Liko and Roy a chance?

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Character wise I absolutelly hate Whitney and Clair. Why are they even Gym leaders, if they just cry and refuse to give you your badge if they lose? That's super unprofessional and really let me question why this people became gym leaders at the first place and who is behind this decision.

Character wise I absolutelly hate Whitney and Clair. Why are they even Gym leaders, if they just cry and refuse to give you your badge if they lose? That's super unprofessional and really let me question why this people became gym leaders at the first place and who is behind this decision.
Whitney in the anime is better. Smokes Ash, then Ash beats her Miltank on a farm outside town, and Whitney goes, you know what, have a badge.

Okay I just got a nice idea. If future mainline games keep the battle system like ScaVio how about bringing back safari zones? But the new gimmick of them would be: Inside the safari zone they use the catching system of Legends and Pokemon can attack you.

To celebrate the new section and the new month, we have a new poll!
Who is your favorite Johto gym leader?
I actually quite like the juxtaposition of Jasmine as a shy, but caring person who nevertheless uses the Steel type. It's always nice to see Gym Leaders be actual characters outside of their gyms too, even if it is a bit basic.

Since we've had video about how much time goes into catching, breeding and training pokemon for VGC, how about a video about how much effort goes into not even winning the Pokémon World Championships:

Well that's a new one. The Target employee said their manager told them not to give out codes unless you're buying something. In case anyone needs it, I found this (the relevant bit is the "no purchase necessary" in fine print at the bottom.

20221030_18al_BXHbQ

Well that's a new one. The Target employee said their manager told them not to give out codes unless you're buying something. In case anyone needs it, I found this (the relevant bit is the "no purchase necessary" in fine print at the bottom.

20221030_18al_BXHbQ
My friend has been to three different Targets and not a single one had any clue what he was talking about when he asked for a code

My friend has been to three different Targets and not a single one had any clue what he was talking about when he asked for a code
These Target events are always a mess. Really wish TPCi stopped working with them. Especially since some the individual stores don't seem to be a fan of people just grabbing a code and leaving, if my experience today is any indication.

For best results, you want to go straight to the tech desk at one of the larger Targets (not sure the smaller ones even get codes) and be prepared to stand your ground about not needing to buy anything if that applies to your situation.

I still need to get a second card (didn't really want to push my luck with this store), but fortunately I know of a Target a bit further away which tends to handle these things better.

EDIT: actually this pokemon.com link might be better for the no purchase necessary thing. I'm pretty confident that image came from Target's site, but it seems out of date, so I'm not sure how to navigate to it.

Okay I just got a nice idea. If future mainline games keep the battle system like ScaVio how about bringing back safari zones? But the new gimmick of them would be: Inside the safari zone they use the catching system of Legends and Pokemon can attack you.

I love this idea! This would be great

Organizing and getting the squad ready for Ribbon flexing in the new generation (Spoilers for two Pokemon that get new evolutions):

I still need to bring some of these over to Hisui as you can see. I think I have another Shadow Primeape or Dunsparce floating around in Gen 6 too.

Just mentioning quickly that the final episode of Ash VS Leon will air in less than two hours. If the pokemonanime subreddit didn't lie to me we should be able to watch it on Pokekalos twitch channel :

This battle has been very cool so far, and the preview for the finale showed a glimpse at some nice animation.

Edit: It's starting!

I can't believe I'm fucking bawling at the Pokemon anime as an adult.

Last edited:
One of the most curious things in all of Pokemon is how TPC never got behind a digital client for the TCG. Online has been hopelessly outdated since 2014 when Hearthstone released. Now I've checked out the successor Live and somehow it's worse in various important ways? The card pack opening is so unsatisfying, the only explanation is it was made by someone who does not understand the appeal of collectible card games.

But maybe the modern meta of watching your opponent shuffle their deck for minutes on end, compared to the gradual ramping up of the the early low-power days, doesn't make for a very good mobile or computer CCG anyway.

Either Jasmine or Bugsy for my favorite Johto Leader, but I had to give Jasmine the edge because she has a personality outside of liking a type of Pokemon.
If future mainline games keep the battle system like ScaVio how about bringing back safari zones? But the new gimmick of them would be: Inside the safari zone they use the catching system of Legends and Pokemon can attack you
I have only seen now but this is a brilliant idea.

Organizing and getting the squad ready for Ribbon flexing in the new generation (Spoilers for two Pokemon that get new evolutions):

I still need to bring some of these over to Hisui as you can see. I think I have another Shadow Primeape or Dunsparce floating around in Gen 6 too.

I was staring down the barrel of grinding out Dynamax Adventures for Ability Patches for these Pokemon when I remembered BDSP has the Ability Patches available for BP, and I have BP pouring out of HOME.

HAs for the Orre squad baby.

Holy shit thank you for reminding me of how much I missed Safari Zone.

yooooo, you wanna use Quaquaval, Kilowattrel and Arboliva too?? Same here, incredible taste! I was also considering an Orthworm too, love its goofy little eyes, and I wanna use Armarouge, but I don't have a team of six figured out yet.
For the first time in a good while I've actually had a lot of trouble narrowing down my main 6

For the first time in a good while I've actually had a lot of trouble narrowing down my main 6
Realistically, given the high experience points gain of these modern Pokémon games, I'll likely be using more than just a team of 6...but it also feels very comfortable to narrow it to 6. That's my main squad! My buds! Gotta make sure they're balanced to take on any challenge.

As someone who kind of fell off after Sword/Shield, even though I enjoyed those despite their flaws, would it be worth it for me to get into the DP remakes? I've been thinking about playing them for the longest time, but never got around to it. Kind of itching for some nostalgia-Pokémon, and I think those would scratch that itch nicely enough.

Will be busy with other games for the foreseeable future, but still. With Black Friday sales coming up, I might bite.

As someone who kind of fell off after Sword/Shield, even though I enjoyed those despite their flaws, would it be worth it for me to get into the DP remakes? I've been thinking about playing them for the longest time, but never got around to it. Kind of itching for some nostalgia-Pokémon, and I think those would scratch that itch nicely enough.

Will be busy with other games for the foreseeable future, but still. With Black Friday sales coming up, I might bite.

Definitely worth it imo, since even being able to play a straight port of D/P on the tv is worth the price. But it's also in HD, new art style, and compatible with Home, so it's definitely worth it imo

ngl I'm pretty sick of hearing people whine about anthropomorphic Pokemon and "ew, it turned into some guy in a suit"

If they had stuck exclusively with the design ethos of "X animal turns into the same animal but larger" I feel like it might get boring

That's why I'm fine with stuff like Meowscarada even if I'm not a huge fan of that one in particular, partially out of spite towards that boomer mentality lol

For Pokemon Sword/Shield, how easy is it to get Pokemon with their hidden abilities for the DLC areas? I'm considering getting them partly because of the possibility and the ease compared to the main game, where it's been frustrating so far to get them.

The DLC seems to have a better chance for the Max Raid Pokemon to have them, since in the main game's Wild Area, some Pokemon can't have them. I feel like even the legendaries can have hidden abilities provided this way, so it might be a chance to get them like the Tapus.

Thank you for reading.

For Pokemon Sword/Shield, how easy is it to get Pokemon with their hidden abilities for the DLC areas? I'm considering getting them partly because of the possibility and the ease compared to the main game, where it's been frustrating so far to get them.

The DLC seems to have a better chance for the Max Raid Pokemon to have them, since in the main game's Wild Area, some Pokemon can't have them. I feel like even the legendaries can have hidden abilities provided this way, so it might be a chance to get them like the Tapus.

Thank you for reading.
Pretty sure all the Pokemon available in the Dynamax Adventures in the Crown Tundra come with Hidden Abilities. You can also get Ability Patches there, but it's frankly just as time consuming to get them there as it is in Scarlet and Violet lol.

In the regular raid dens I think it's comparable to Scarlet and Violet for Hidden Abilities. While the Scarlet and Violet 5 and 6 star raids are harder, you would probably have an easier time in those still because people are actually doing them, where I imagine getting a group in Sword and Shield would take longer.

I think for the longest I have always made sure to have a Gengar in my team every single Pokemon game. I managed again this time but the sucker wont listen to me anymore lol. Got em a bit too early.

Pretty sure all the Pokemon available in the Dynamax Adventures in the Crown Tundra come with Hidden Abilities. You can also get Ability Patches there, but it's frankly just as time consuming to get them there as it is in Scarlet and Violet lol.

In the regular raid dens I think it's comparable to Scarlet and Violet for Hidden Abilities. While the Scarlet and Violet 5 and 6 star raids are harder, you would probably have an easier time in those still because people are actually doing them, where I imagine getting a group in Sword and Shield would take longer.
Oh, I see! I do agree that Crown Tundra so far has a much easier time getting hidden ability Pokemon, In fact, I noticed that in both The Isle of Armour and Crown Tundra, the rare dens have guaranteed Hidden Ability Pokemon, and on the more common ones, it feels like I got them more often.

I kind of think that raids in Gen 8 is kind of easy, as long as you have Level 100 Pokemon because as long as the user has a type advantage, you can do well even if your CPU teammates aren't the best... most of the time. They pretty much falter on either those strong Pokemon with spread moves, or if most Pokemon are at a type disadvantage (e.g. Electric wild Pokemon and Water teammates). I do notice that there are still players participating in Max Raids, and as long as the Pokemon is something good like say, Arctozolt, then it fills up quickly. For example, I managed to fish out a rare den Pincurchin (w/ HA), and the room fills up quickly.

I am not in a hurry to get Scarlet and Violet, hoping for the complete pack (game + future DLC) down the line, but it's interesting to see how the game is purportedly more difficult in those raids. I hope that getting HA is not too much of a problem, because quite a number of Gen 9 Pokemon have great hidden abilities.

Thank you for reading.

I evolved my Scyther from XD into Kleavor and I noticed that HOME won't let me trade it. They might not have flagged Hisuian forms with the Purified ribbon as legal Pokemon lol.

EDIT: False alarm, you can't trade any pokemon with the Purified ribbon on the HOME GTS, they're considered special.

Last edited:
I evolved my Scyther from XD into Kleavor and I noticed that HOME won't let me trade it. They might not have flagged Hisuian forms with the Purified ribbon as legal Pokemon lol.

EDIT: False alarm, you can't trade any pokemon with the Purified ribbon on the HOME GTS, they're considered special.
Wait, what? I thought it was just the mystery gift ribbons.

Yeah, not sure why the purified ribbon is flagged as non-tradeable, maybe to avoid moveset shenanigans?
Movesets are a pretty solved problem at this point with the Battle Ready mark and the radical shifts to compatibility in the post-Sword and Shield games, so that probably isn't it.

I almost wonder if it's failing the legality check somehow.

We'll have a new poll up in January to start 2023 off right! And it won't be a gym leader related poll, don't worry.

I know this thread isn’t very active, but If I were to make a Pokemon music thread, would people prefer if I just made one longer thread or gradually making separate ones focusing on a single set of games?

They wouldn’t would super in-depth either way.

Last edited:
I know this thread isn’t very active, but If I were to make a Pokemon music thread, would people prefer if I just made one longer thread or gradually making separate ones focusing on a single set of games?

They wouldn’t would super in-depth either way.
I think you can make either work. I feel like if you have a lot to say about music from a specific set of games, go ahead and make separate threads, but if you just want a more general "share your favorite Pokémon music!" Then that works too.

You could probably have at least one core series thread and one spinoff thread, though.

A day late and a PokeDollar short, we have a new poll for the thread! This month (and change, given how long it takes me to remember to ask for poll updates), I'm asking you what your second favorite region is.

Alola is my favorite, by far the coziest region, and the first one that felt like a place where people and Pokemon actually live in harmony.

That said, going back to the poll, I think Johto is my second favorite. It's a little small, but it has great vibes.

Second favorite is a lot harder to think of than most favorite haha.

I had to go with Hoenn, and that’s because I found a lot of the towns aesthetically memorable. You have Pacifidlog with the buildings floating on the water, Fallarbor with the falling ash, and of course Lavaridge with its delightful hot springs! That you can make secret bases just adds to the overall coziness of the region.

Second favorite is a lot harder to think of than most favorite haha.

I had to go with Hoenn, and that’s because I found a lot of the towns aesthetically memorable. You have Pacifidlog with the buildings floating on the water, Fallarbor with the falling ash, and of course Lavaridge with its delightful hot springs! That you can make secret bases just adds to the overall coziness of the region.
I almost went with Hoenn as well, it's a very distinct region.

I’ve never played Pokemon Xenoverse before, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. It’s considered one of the best Pokemon fangames out there, and now the devs have announced their own original game:

The monster designs are weaker than Pokemon’s as is usual for these Pokeclones, but otherwise I dig the aesthetic of the sprites against 3D backgrounds.

I don't know where else to put this thought, but I just want it out there in the universe

I want Skarmory to have a Steel/Flying evolution that looks like a sick all-armor plated mechanical dragon, with the Flash Fire ability so that anytime it's hit with fire type attacks, it boosts it's own fire-type moves, or even Steam Engine that would boost it's speed stat six stages when hit with either fire or water attacks. Maybe it would be more rad if electric was its passive element and it benefitted from abilities like Wind Power, Motor Drive or Electric Surge

I'm not even sure if it's all that original a thought, but I just want it known

Any merchandise experts in here that can tell me when we might see an updated Pokédex handbook? Looking at the last couple gens it seems like they came out two years after. (?!) Gen 8’s Nat Dex book came out in 2021. And it didn’t even have the SwSh DLC Pokemon!

Hope I don’t have to wait that long, want to flip through it with my kids. And these new designs are so strong.

Back
Top Bottom