• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Picross S+ announced, bringing all 9 Picross e games to Nintendo Switch (out now!)

mazi

picross pundit
Jupiter has today announced Picross S+, the latest addition to the mind-testing monogram series for the Nintendo Switch. What's exciting about this one is that it is set to bring all nine of the 3DS' download-only Picross e games with it — so if you missed out on the chance to download them before their eShop closed, this will be your chance to snatch them up.

The base content (which contains the puzzles from Picross e) will be available for £3.99 / €4,99 / $4.99, with each subsequent entry in the 3DS series becoming available as individual additional paid content packages priced at the same cost. It might seem like a slightly expensive way of bringing each game over to the modern console, but thanks to the 3DS eShop closure, it's our only option for now.
Each pack will contain the 150 Picross and Mega Picross puzzles from their respective title, providing a pretty meaty collection for those who choose to buy each of them.

A big perk for Picross fans in the West is that S+ will include Picross e9, a title that was previously only available in Japan, so we will finally have the chance to own the full set. Picross S+ is currently scheduled for a 2024 release, though no specific date has been given for the moment.

F5ztr-oWEAAdY_e

F5ztr-hXAAAlZUw

edit: official announcement

Last edited:
me when i saw the news

trisha-pautas-crying.gif

they talked about this in a recent interview, i didn't expect it to happen so soon
Because most of the Picross games these days are digital-only, we had a situation earlier this year where the 3DS eShop closed, essentially delisting nearly 15 of your games at once. Was it frustrating to see all of your titles disappearing like that, and how do you feel about the preservation of your games in the future?

MURAKAMI:
We have a way to preserve the data, so we have a storage system that keeps the older titles, including the 3DS Picross e series, at our studio.

Because of that, we want to utilise these old games in some way in our future plans.

Please avoid exclusionary talk like this, Fami is an inclusive site. -PixelKnight, VolcanicDynamo, Josh5890
I am rock-fucking-hard. Now where's them Club Nintendo games?

Interesting that they're announcing it now if it's out next year. We usually get a faster turnaround on these.

Is now when they'd normally be announcing S10 and this early announcement is to explain why they aren't?

Personally, I've always found the Picross S1-9 prices too high.
These prices for Picross e1-9 they announced are half the price of the Picross S-games, so I might finally pull the trigger and purchase some Picross games :)

the S games usually get announced in april and/or september and then get released a week later.
So yeah, this announcement is a "hey we're not announcing the next S game BECAUSE here is the plan" type thing

I think I'll use these to tide me over between new releases. I assume they'll be brought up to the S series standard with markings for beating puzzles without hints that I think the first 5 or so e series games lacked.

i've never played these. they each have 150 puzzles in both modes, and then the later games also have a micross mode that's kinda like clip picross, right? or is there any other modes?

i wonder if the micross puzzles are included as well.

and people were thinking Jupiter was going to step away from the Switch, when they originally announced Logiart Grimoire only for Steam LOL

i've never played these. they each have 150 puzzles in both modes, and then the later games also have a micross mode that's kinda like clip picross, right? or is there any other modes?

i wonder if the micross puzzles are included as well.
Why wouldn't they include them?

The gift icon on the right must be the extra 5 puzzles they gave for every Picross e owned (iirc). Though I think they did this only for the first three entries.

Why wouldn't they include them?
this part from the article
Each pack will contain the 150 Picross and Mega Picross puzzles from their respective title

as for the gifts, reading the wiki (yes, there's a picross wiki lol) it seems like they were just 15 puzzles from e, e2 and e3 for having the save files for those games. it wouldn't make sense to have the same system here. maybe the gift here is some extra puzzles unlocked with the save files for the S games.

I got all (most?) of these on my 3DS. I'd double dip, but not for that price. That's far too expensive.

this part from the article

as for the gifts, reading the wiki (yes, there's a picross wiki lol) it seems like they were just 15 puzzles from e, e2 and e3 for having the save files for those games. it wouldn't make sense to have the same system here. maybe the gift here is some extra puzzles unlocked with the save files for the S games.

The article is... at bare minimum missing some important context for some reason, and as a result it's confusing to me. Almost makes it seem like the writer hasn't actually played many of the Picross 3DS games.

The wiki is sort of right but also missing a key bit of information: The early picross games didn't have mega picross at all (e1, e2) and for the next few, had completely original puzzles (e3,e4,e5), but far fewer than the number that were in later games (e6 onwards) where they were just the same puzzles as in the regular picross mode, but with the different rules.

You're right in saying that you get 15 puzzles from e,e2,e3 for having the save file, but they're all in Mega picross mode, which didn't exist in the games they came from, they've not just dumped the puzzles as is in the new game.

There's also far fewer than 150 +150 Mega puzzles in the earlier games, I think it's only about e5 or e6 that they settled on having 150 of each a game, and only with e6 that they stopped making new puzzles for mega picross and just settled for repeating the 150 puzzles from the regular mode. e1 and e2 have 150 regular but no mega, e3 has 150 total between regular+ mega, for example.

I'll probably pick this up on sale and when e9 is added. Already have the other games (sadly barely touched them).

Utterly amazing how well Jupiter has seemingly done with this series. To think I first started with Picross back on the Game Boy and on a complete whim from Nintendo Power pushing it hard.

Something I've noticed is that I don't play Picross nearly as much on my Switch as I did on my 3DS. It was the perfect 15~20 minute game to play in bed at night. I don't feel as comfortable playing with the big OG Switch though. I might need to get a Switch Lite solely for Picross play lol.

YEs, I missed on most of the 3ds games since I discovered the picross goodness until they put them on switch.

I bought all of these on super sales before the eshop closure. A little bummed they don’t start with e9 content instead of making me buy the first one just to access that. Not sure why it’s not like Capcom arcade stadium where it’s a free to play shell and you buy what you want.

This is cool, but are we ever gonna get the puzzles from Pokémon Picross, My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and the two Club Nintendo Picross games brought back, too? And how about Picross DS and its downloadable puzzle packs that are no longer available while we’re at it?

I know they’ve said it’s very difficult to get Nintendo on board with IP specific titles anymore but I’d love to get a NES/SNES title still. The Sega title is very good. Here’s to hoping they manage something for their 30th

This is cool, but are we ever gonna get the puzzles from Pokémon Picross, My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and the two Club Nintendo Picross games brought back, too? And how about Picross DS and its downloadable puzzle packs that are no longer available while we’re at it?
jupiter owns the rights to these games and are free to port them whenever they want, but the games you mentioned are all either published by nintendo or are based on nintendo IP and based on this recent interview nintendo seems very cold on working with jupiter on more picross projects, other than licensing the picross name to them to use on switch games.

jupiter owns the rights to these games and are free to port them whenever they want, but the games you mentioned are all either published by nintendo or are based on nintendo IP and based on this recent interview nintendo seems very cold on working with jupiter on more picross projects, other than licensing the picross name to them to use on switch games.

I know, but it’s not like Jupiter doesn’t already have to go through Nintendo in order to release games using the Picross name (which Nintendo owns), anyway. And aside from the Picross trademark, we know that Jupiter doesn’t even own the entirety of the Picross e/S games, either, because it was recently confirmed that Logiart Grimoire doesn’t feature Mega Picross puzzles because Jupiter doesn’t own the rights to that mode (Nintendo seemingly does); it appears that Jupiter likely doesn’t own the rights to any variation on Picross that they worked on using the Picross name besides the standard nonogram puzzles.

Anyway, obviously I’m hoping that Jupiter and Nintendo would allow the puzzles from these games to resurface in some form. Nintendo might not currently have much interest in having their other IPs be used for new Picross games, but maybe it’d be possible to get them added to Picross S+ as DLC? Who knows! I won’t expect it, but it would certainly be nice if it happens. I’m still bummed we never got the Club Nintendo Picross games outside of Japan…

Im...suprised. I did not know that nintendo lost interest in cooperating with Jupiter...

Seems like a causalty in the "indies make the small games, we focus on bigger eones" strategy they took with the switch.

Quoted by: Tye
S series already have insane amount of recycled puzzles from e series and I completed every single e game. Gonna skip this, of course.

Also, remaster/remake the Spectrobes games already, Jupiter.

Im...suprised. I did not know that nintendo lost interest in cooperating with Jupiter...

Seems like a causalty in the "indies make the small games, we focus on bigger eones" strategy they took with the switch.
I think people are distorting what was reported to make it seem worse than it really is. Nintendo clearly haven’t lost interest in working with Jupiter because they continue to allow them to release Picross games using Nintendo’s trademark, after all. It just seems that the process for making a Picross game specifically utilizing other Nintendo IP is rather strict/limited and/or Nintendo just aren’t too interested in those kind of releases for whatever reason. After all, even the Nintendo-published crossover Picross games that we got on 3DS were exclusively available as Club/My Nintendo rewards, aside from Pokémon Picross which was free-to-start (and handled more by The Pokémon Company than Nintendo). So it seems that Nintendo was never really into the idea of selling these types of Picross games in the first place; it doesn’t seem like much has really changed. If anything, it might just come down to the fact that Nintendo has entirely stopped releasing smaller “free” eShop games as My Nintendo rewards as of the Switch, which was kinda the only way they seemed to want to release these type of Picross games before.

it's honestly so bizzare that SEGA was so quickly willing to work with Jupiter during the Switch era, yet they're having hangups getting the Nintendo published stuff back.
73915a11a0383b4405f3e615ab6fcfdade60e868851b1b5807e03a910a1d96df

If this had a physical release I'd grab it immediately just to have it in my collection, but I already own every Picross e game (except for e9) on 3DS. It would be nice to have the whole set on Switch, but this is a "maybe I'll get around to it later" situation for me. Still glad to see these games get re-released though!

Didn't they say that the next Picross game was coming to new hardware (as in Switch NG)? I don't really play Picross, I know it has an annual release schedule though so is this not counted as Picross 2024?

S series already have insane amount of recycled puzzles from e series
i had no clue they reused puzzles between series! that is slightly disappointing even though I've barely gone through two or three of the S games
I've actually wondered before how they produce so many of, especially, the introductory puzzles, but then I remember a 5x5 binary grid alone has like 33.5 million possible states lol. but I suppose the reuse also makes sense since they both have to be balanced for difficulty and create something loosely resembling an image

Didn't they say that the next Picross game was coming to new hardware (as in Switch NG)? I don't really play Picross, I know it has an annual release schedule though so is this not counted as Picross 2024?
these aren't very demanding games, and they'll continue to support the current switch as long as they can. they just said they'll bring the games to the next system as well when it's out.

Last edited:
it's honestly so bizzare that SEGA was so quickly willing to work with Jupiter during the Switch era, yet they're having hangups getting the Nintendo published stuff back.
73915a11a0383b4405f3e615ab6fcfdade60e868851b1b5807e03a910a1d96df
I get why anyone would think that with the relationship they have with Nintendo, but Sega has pretty much always been more open to licensing their IPs. Hopefully Nintendo is able to let Jupiter get past the red tape for their anniversary plans.

Like the look of this… but might have to wait for a sale/complete edition. That looks expensive all in 😳

Is, uh.... is Jupiter a partner?
they actually started because of nintendo and yamauchi
  • Nakayama started the company in 1992 after being inspired by a lecture given by Hiroshi Yamauchi.
  • the studio's first two members (Nakayama and Meguro) are still working there.
  • Nintendo greenlit their pitch for a video game version of nonogram puzzles, which were popular at the time. due to their lack of experience with game development, Nintendo introduced them to Tsunekazu Ishihara from Ape (co-developer of Earthbound, later renamed to Creatures) who helped guide the game's development. Miyamoto oversaw the development and proposed adding Mario to the game.

Yay! This was one of my “hopefully realistic” guesses for the Direct today.

they actually started because of nintendo and yamauchi

Very cool, I knew Ape was involved with some of the early titles and didn’t know that it was Nintendo that got everyone together.

Back
Top Bottom