• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Picross S+ announced, bringing all 9 Picross e games to Nintendo Switch (out now!)

Jupiter has some major chutzpah launching the same day as Rebirth šŸ˜‚

I doubt this is the case but I wonder if thereā€™s some bad blood with S-E since h.a.n.d. took over spin-off and sequel duties for KH and TWEWY.

i kinda don't get jupiter's game plan here. they have logiart grimoire coming to pc/switch in march/april. this collection is going to take a looooong time for fans to clear so releasing it shortly before their brand new game would eat into its sales a bit, i would guess.

Jupiter has some major chutzpah launching the same day as Rebirth šŸ˜‚

I doubt this is the case but I wonder if thereā€™s some bad blood with S-E since h.a.n.d. took over spin-off and sequel duties for KH and TWEWY.
lol, i really don't think that's on their radar even a little bit

i kinda don't get jupiter's game plan here. they have logiart grimoire coming to pc/switch in march/april. this collection is going to take a looooong time for fans to clear so releasing it shortly before their brand new game would eat into its sales a bit, i would guess.
They probably figure S+ is for people who didn't own a 3DS or never picked up the series before the eShop closed. I think the NA fans are in a bit of weird space since we never got e9 here unlike the JP fans.

Picross games I think are long burns so they probably expect both releases to have a long tail and it's going to be fine in the long run.

lol, i really don't think that's on their radar even a little bit
I agree, I just thought it might be funny if it was true

finally had time to watch the trailer
  • all 9 games now have the 150 puzzles in both normal and mega mode
  • micross mode has been renamed into clip mode in these games, and the UI is the same as clip mode in the S games
  • they haven't added the micross/clip mode to games that didn't have them (e and e3), the other 7 games each have between 2 and 5 clip mode puzzles
  • micross puzzles are now in different sizes, instead of all being 10x10 ones
  • overall, there's 1,350 normal puzzles, 1,350 mega puzzles, and 565 clip puzzles
  • purchasing each dlc pack will unlock additional puzzles in the gift box
  • there's a total of 70 extra puzzles in the gift box (30 normal, 30 mega, 10 color)

in summation
eating-food.gif

Last edited:
And I thought I could finish Picross S9 before this compilation released. I was a fool. A fool!

This much Picross with Logiart Grimoire coming out alongside it will likely last me for years. So. Many. Puzzles...

Too bad you have to buy e1 in order to get the e9 pack. Got all of these on those 3DS sales they had before the shop closed. Alasā€¦Iā€™ll probably buy them all anyway

Agreed that it's strange they're releasing effectively nine Picross games before their Kickstarter title. Maybe they think it will ease the pain from the monthish between the PC and Switch releases of Logiart.

Oh neat, so they are rebranding Micross to Clip Picross after all! Glad this is coming out so soon; I was worried weā€™d be waiting months for it.

Agreed that it's strange they're releasing effectively nine Picross games before their Kickstarter title. Maybe they think it will ease the pain from the monthish between the PC and Switch releases of Logiart.
either way this is just bad business. the game isn't that big on steam in its early access, and i think it's safe to say most of the sales will come from switch. it's been a while since the release of S9 so it's better to push your fans who are looking for more picross to buy your brand new IP in april, rather than buy this collection in late feb and then not need any new picross game for months and months. i don't mind personally cuz i'll probably be done with S+ by the time logiart comes out, but this just seems like bad planning to me. i hope it works out well for them tho, and they're able to turn logiart into its own successful series.

I hope those star wars games end up having cross play.
I have an Xbox friend whoā€™s willing to play any multiplayer game with me having a switch only

which region are you in? i'm not seeing it on the NA eshop (web or switch)
Hi! Sorry for the late reply.
I live in the Netherlands, so it must've been visible already on the EU eShop.
the pre-order is up on the NA eshop
I'm glad that it's available for you too now on the NA eShop! :)

The DLC (so Picross e2 up to and including Picross e9) can be preordered on the EU eShop as well now!
It's probably the same for all other regions?

The DLC (so Picross e2 up to and including Picross e9) can be preordered on the EU eShop as well now!
It's probably the same for all other regions?
yeah, the dlc is out in NA eshop as well. i just pre-ordered the main game for now, i think i'll get the dlc once i'm done with e1.

I kinda wish there was a slightly cheaper bundle or something but WHATEVER Iā€™m fine giving Jupiter my money
At least the Picross e games are 5 dollars/euros each, which is half the price of the Picross S games that are 10 dollars/euros each.
So I'm happy to give Jupiter my money :p

The only Picross game I've played so far is Picross S and it stood out to me that half of the puzzles have size 15x15.
Personally, I like more variety in puzzle sizes.
Does anyone know if the other Picross S and Picross e games also have a significant amount of 15x15 Picross puzzles?

The only Picross game I've played so far is Picross S and it stood out to me that half of the puzzles have size 15x15.
Personally, I like more variety in puzzle sizes.
Does anyone know if the other Picross S and Picross e games also have a significant amount of 15x15 Picross puzzles?
the majority of the puzzles in normal and mega mode in the s and e series are going to be 15x15, with a few 20x15 puzzles in the end. in all the games, the number of puzzles of each size in normal and mega mode stays the same. starting with s2, a new mode is added called clip picross, where puzzles of different sizes (5x5 to 20x15) are solved and together form a bigger picture. also in the later games a new mode, extra, is added where you get 2 30x30 puzzles per game, and if you have the save files for the previous games you unlock 3 40x30 puzzles.

it's a shame jupiter doesn't put a lot of bigger puzzles in their games anymore. even tho the DS had a tiny screen, picross DS had 90 20x20 and 90 25x20 puzzles. if you have NSO, you can also try mario's super picross which has a lot of 20x20 and 25x20 puzzles.

Is it even possible to buy all the games at once or do you have to buy them one by one? How tedious, ha.
i think it'll be possible after S+ is released. i just tried it on the eshop with another game (mh rise), and if you select view all dlc you can buy multiple dlc at once.

Ah, this is satisfying~

GHCHDbLagAEDvKh
it still annoys me that sega picross (and now s+) come between s and s2 when sorted alphabetically

PR8ZRPo.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, this is satisfying~

GHCHDbLagAEDvKh

the majority of the puzzles in normal and mega mode in the s and e series are going to be 15x15, with a few 20x15 puzzles in the end. in all the games, the number of puzzles of each size in normal and mega mode stays the same. starting with s2, a new mode is added called clip picross, where puzzles of different sizes (5x5 to 20x15) are solved and together form a bigger picture. also in the later games a new mode, extra, is added where you get 2 30x30 puzzles per game, and if you have the save files for the previous games you unlock 3 40x30 puzzles.

it's a shame jupiter doesn't put a lot of bigger puzzles in their games anymore. even tho the DS had a tiny screen, picross DS had 90 20x20 and 90 25x20 puzzles. if you have NSO, you can also try mario's super picross which has a lot of 20x20 and 25x20 puzzles.

i think it'll be possible after S+ is released. i just tried it on the eshop with another game (mh rise), and if you select view all dlc you can buy multiple dlc at once.

it still annoys me that sega picross (and now s+) come between s and s2 when sorted alphabetically

PR8ZRPo.jpeg
Missing the Kemono friends picross

PR8ZRPo.jpeg
Thatā€™s why I made a HOME Menu Group for the Picross games! That way you can arrange them in any order you want!

Missing the Kemono friends picross
Iā€™m aware of Kemono Friends Picross and Picross Lord of the Nazarick, but I personally have no desire to own those two since theyā€™re licensed games of IP that I have no familiarity with or interest in. Plus theyā€™re not part of the Picross S series (unlike Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition), and between all the Picross S series games (especially now with Picross S+ containing all of the Picross e games as well) and Picross X, Iā€™m not exactly short on Picross content, lol. So Iā€™m perfectly content with skipping those two licensed Picross games. Honestly, I think those two would feel out of place being among the others, anyway.

(Now, if we got rereleases of PokĆ©mon Picross, My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, or the two Club Nintendo Picross games, on the other handā€¦)

Last edited:
Iā€™m aware of Kemono Friends Picross and Picross Lord of the Nazarick, but I personally have no desire to own those two since theyā€™re licensed games of IP that I have no familiarity with or interest in. Plus theyā€™re not part of the Picross S series (unlike Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition), and between all the Picross S series games (especially now with Picross S+ containing all of the Picross e games as well) and Picross X, Iā€™m not exactly short on Picross content, lol. So Iā€™m perfectly content with skipping those two licensed Picross games. Honestly, I think those two would feel out of place being among the others, anyway.
those two are the weakest of the switch releases tbh. well, the puzzles are good like any other jupiter game but the UI and the feel are inferior to the S games. the overlord one has a nonsensical story with a lot of typos and meh music, and the kemono friends one has a... questionable art style. they also both don't have badges for solving the puzzles with no assists.

those two are the weakest of the switch releases tbh. well, the puzzles are good like any other jupiter game but the UI and the feel are inferior to the S games. the overlord one has a nonsensical story with a lot of typos and meh music, and the kemono friends one has a... questionable art style. they also both don't have badges for solving the puzzles with no assists.
Yeah, thatā€™s another reason why I donā€™t feel bad skipping out on those two, lol. Having no badges for solving without assists is especially disappointing omission.

Yeah, it surprised how many typos Nazarick had and yeah, they don't giving you badges for no assist was a big omission

Picross X also has some typosā€¦ Most noticeably what should be ā€œLeaderā€ Picbit is instead called ā€œReaderā€ Picbit, lol.

Also, ā€œeditionā€ isnā€™t capitalized in the title of ā€œPicross S GENESIS & Master System editionā€ and it bothers me every time I see it. =P

I know Jupiter is pretty small, and their localization staff is naturally even smaller, but some of their games could really use another look over before release to catch these typos. They donā€™t seem interested in updating the games to fix them, either, unfortunately.

there's not much point to a picross review at this point but here's one

Nintendo-Town (7.2/10, review in French):
Picross S+ is a compilation of the Picross e games released for the Nintendo 3DS. While playing Picross is still fun and enjoyable, we're a little less pleased with Jupiter's marketing strategy, which asks us to pay five euros (the same price as back then) for games that are over ten years old.

THE PLUS
  • As enjoyable as ever
  • As user-friendly as ever
  • As addictive as ever
  • Interesting content for five euros

THE MINUSES
  • A marketing strategy that doesn't benefit players
  • In the end, having all the content costs forty-five euros

this is a review of the base game with no dlc. the main complaints seem to be that there's no 20x15 puzzles unlike the S series (which is only true for the first 3 game, the rest have 20x15 puzzles), that there are no clip or color puzzles (7 out of 9 games do have clip puzzles), and that the price for each game should be lower.

here's some gameplay footage from the same site:

two more reviews

NintendoWorldReport (8/10):
Much like the last several entries in the Picross S series on Switch, Picross S+ isnā€™t reinventing the wheel, but if you are hankering for more Picross, this is a great value and an excellent package. Jupiter remains the king of Picross, sitting on a throne filled with puzzles and a user interface that is evocative of the Switchā€™s home menu: straight to the point with a hint of whimsy.

Pros
  • A lot of Picross for a good value
  • A win for Picross preservation
  • Nine Picross games of content after DLC
Cons
  • Little variety in puzzle types compared to newer entries

Daily Nintendo (7.7/10, review in Dutch):
You may have noticed that this review of Picross S+ was fairly short. That's actually because nothing new has been added this time compared to the last game in the Picross S series. Yes, Picross e through Picross e9 can now be played with multiple players on the same Switch for the first time, but it's really nothing more than that. The fact that Picross S+ does nothing special is certainly not a bad thing. In fact, all the puzzles still work just as well. The only thing I do find unfortunate is that the standard version without DLC of Picross S+ has less variety than I was used to. Despite everything, for fans of Picross it is certainly nice that the entire Picross e-series is finally playable again and that too both in handheld and on the big screen.

+ As a bonus, there is now also a local-multiplayer mode

+ Strong price

+ Everything from the Picross e series in one place, but....

- This makes you obligated to own Picross e, even though you might have already played it on the 3DS

- Without DLC, there is less variety

Does anyone know at what time the game releases? Or at what time previous Picross games were released?
it's already out in japan, don't know about europe but if you got it from the NA eshop it should unlock in about 8 hours.

Last edited:
it's already out in japan, don't know about europe but if you got it from the NA eshop it should unlock in about 8 hours.
I am from Europe and thought it would release at midnight, but that was not the case.
It might unlock at 12pm local time then.

a picross fan on twitter been looking through the game files after the japanese release, some interesting tidbits in this thread:

I've only ever dabbled with Picross, but it has always seemed like the kind of thing I could get into. Should I just try the first game in this series and see how it goes, or are there some particularly beloved entries?

I've only ever dabbled with Picross, but it has always seemed like the kind of thing I could get into. Should I just try the first game in this series and see how it goes, or are there some particularly beloved entries?
the games have the same number of modes, puzzles, and features starting with S4. so getting any of them between S4 and S9 will get you the most bang for your buck. tho if you already know you like picross and think you'll get all of them eventually, it won't hurt to start with the first one.

What does the thread say? Can't read threads cus I don't have a twitter account
here's the text from all the tweets:

• Every song from all 9 of the Picross e games is present in this release, interestingly keeping the file names used in those games (with E# added before them) rather than file names resembling those in the other Picross S games.
  • I really do mean every song as even the jingles played when highlighting each game on the 3DS home menu are included and play as you scroll through each game on the main menu. The one for e4 has like a second and a half of silence at the beginning for some reason.
  • The files labelled bgm_00-06 are reused from Picross S8, indicating that this game is built off of that one rather than S9. They don't play anywhere in the game based on my playtesting so the game might just require there to be files with those names to prevent it from crashing.
  • As previously announced, the Micross puzzles from the e series have been translated to the Clip Picross mode from the S series, but seemingly due to the longer animations used in Clip Picross compared to Micross, longer versions of these two fanfares were used for this game.
  • The songs in S+ appear to be at a slightly higher quality than the originals but from listening to them I haven't noticed a difference between the two.
  • Not related to the game itself, I also learned that Luma3DS doesn't take as high quality screenshots as I had previously assumed.This Micross/Clip Picross image is supposed to have 256 colors (right), but the screenshot I took with my modded 3DS (left) has 423.

• It looks way better than a jpg of it would but it's compressed in a similar manner to end up with that many extra colors. The Picross e games on 3DS use an image format called .jtex (presumably meaning Jupiter Texture), that isn't rippable, resulting in me taking screenshots.
  • The image itself, or at least the face seem to be different between versions as well. It'll take a lot longer to compare every puzzle between the two versions but I doubt this is the only change.(I'm not complaining btw, I honestly think the one on the right looks better)
  • The game's files also include at least one (this is the only one I've found so far) image related to Sanrio Characters Picross, released on the 3DS in 2018, suggesting that puzzles from that game were considered for inclusion in this one.

here's the text from all the tweets:
Thanks mate! Really interesting read, fascinating that it's based on S8, wonder if that means they had the idea to port over the e series a while ago rather than deciding after releasing S9

Back
Top Bottom