• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Paper Mario Thousand Year Door HD in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious though as why people think Nintendo would chose to remake TTYD
Paper Mario fans like Thousand-Year Door a lot. A whole lot. The other games barely get attention from them. Not even the OG N64 game gets as much praise.

Nintendo/Intelligent Systems is likely aware of this. One of the producers of Color Splash even said they'd consider remaking TTYD if there's enough demand for it. Can't find a source for that at the moment.

Yeah but a remake is not quite the same as the N64 ROM (with horribly clunky controls w/o the N64 Controller in particular) so I don't really see that as a reason to exclude that game from being remastered. You can also play Links Awakening on NSO or buy the remake for Switch.
The Link's Awakening remake was made years before the original game to NSO. Either way, remasters and remakes aren't the same thing, and the rumor indicates this is more of a straighforward remaster, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to do that for Paper Mario 64 when it is already available on Switch. If the F-Zero GX remaster rumor is also true, Nintendo is going with the remaster route to rerelease their GCN library.

Not going to lie despite loving the old style of PM more and TTYD being more emblematic of that style I prefer PM64 and would rather they remake that. I don't know if its the backtracking or me finding some weird charm in the relative simplicity of PM64 while still feeling like a unique enough spin (or, perhaps even... the spin move itself), but at the same time I wish it had all the battle system improvements TTYD had, such as the timed hits on first strikes and the more advanced dodge move. That being said I always speculated that as a late 3ds title in like 2018-2019 and in retrospect that would have killed classic PM even harder then anything they do. I do still need to give TOK a chance, honestly my thoughts have morphed from "muh classic Paper Mario" to just... wanting an RPG. I know it still has elements but it sounds like they're detrimental. Assuming we don't get a return to form I think the best scenario is next PM has no turn based combat at all and openly embraces "its an action adventure game", and then a new Mario RPG series pops up (or M&L comes back but... nah). I know some will argue the point of Mario RPGs was to make popular RPGs to fill a role on Nintendo and with FE and Xenoblade getting big they're less needed, but something about the relative simplicity and just overall kinda causal feel of Paper Mario especially, mixed with the timed hits/action commands still making combat feel kinda engaging, there's just something comfy in the Mario RPGs (I know M&L combat is way more hectic but I still kinda think its there) that I feel is missing now.

Uh anyway on the rumor, this has been rumored before I even remember a 3ds rumor in like late 2015, I feel like if it happens its gonna be a simple upres as a stop gap before next console, the next PM will be Paper Mario Printer Panic or something, again I just hope it ditches the turn based and admits that this isn't really an RPG. But I think the rumor is entirely wrong and it honestly seems like the evidence is minimal, just shows how much people salivate over PM but it feels like an internet bias to me, this will sell less then TOK.

Paper Mario fans like Thousand-Year Door a lot. A whole lot. The other games barely get attention from them. Not even the OG N64 game gets as much praise.
I wouldn't say that, both 64 and TTYD (and SPM to lesser extent) get a lot of praise from the hardcore fans. The sequel is definitely the favorite, but there's hardly a zealous TTYD-only sect of the fanbase like I've seen some pretend there is.

TTYD's just the hot-button topic for online discourse it's the fan-favorite RPG and has never been re-released, unlike 64. But 64 still gets plenty of praise.

I was surprised to see how many people were shocked that Nintendo released Paper Mario on the N64 NSO (despite it also being available on the Wii U Virtual Console, a post "Mario commitee" service), I 100% blame Arlo for this constant paranoïa surrounding the IP lol
I remember on a 2020 video about the lack of old first party games on Switch he said there was the slight possibility that maybe they weren't releasing them because they would show people the older entries were better and then they would be asking for better stuff, and he explicity showcased Paper Mario on the background when saying that lmao.
Here it is:

Last edited:

Nintendo/Intelligent Systems is likely aware of this. One of the producers of Color Splash even said they'd consider remaking TTYD if there's enough demand for it. Can't find a source for that at the moment.

Minute 8:38

I was surprised to see how many people were shocked that Nintendo released Paper Mario on the N64 NSO (despite it also being available on the Wii U Virtual Console, a post "Mario commitee" service), I 100% blame Arlo for this constant paranoïa surrounding the IP lol
Arlo is not alone for stoking those flames. He may be the loudest & consistent of that particular group though. Even till this day we still see Miyamaoto portrayed as the shadow emperor “ruining” beloved IPs & a bumbling old fool who needs to be replaced by “new blood”-even though that still may not do what they think it will.

rafa-knight-papmario2-hd-001.jpg

post this to give a TTYD fan nightmares
I'll say it, outside of the lighting, this looks better

I'll say it, outside of the lighting, this looks better
I don’t mind it at all. In fact if they managed to keep the character designs the same then this is already a blessing. The nit pick for me would be to trim the white outline, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it if they didn’t.

Although I wonder how they would handle all the animations and even the walking cycle with the white outline. Super & TTYD’s character movement animations are smooth and at a constant motion unlike 64/SS/CS/TOK where they are choppy.

It also makes me wonder how they would go about making the sky. I always enjoyed the comic style panel backgrounds that Super and TTYD had. SS/CS leaned way too much into the paper aesthetic for the background scenery and imo the clouds being held up by string was a bit much.

TOK felt like the perfect mix and had beautiful background scenery, anything like that for the remaster would be fine with me. TOK is just so fun to look at, sometimes I just boot up the game to look at the art.

I am very curious how well this remake would do in terms of sales and I was a bit surprised to see that Super Paper Mario is (still) the best selling game in the series, followed by Origami King and with a big gap to the first two games.
However SPM and OK released on the most successful home systems by far so that comparison alone doesn't tell us much.

I am curious though as why people think Nintendo would chose to remake TTYD and skip the original Paper Mario entirely. it makes sense I suppose considering that the Gamecube game would need less of a graphical overhaul to be remade for the Switch. but it somehow it feels a bit "random" and maybe more like wishful thinking.

Having said that, i would LOVE to be wrong on this. it's the only game in this uneven series that I never played actually.
That’s the catch.
It’s probably not a remake, but a remaster. Think Metroid Prime.
Easy money for a game they don’t have to touch at all that barely anybody can play right now.
It’s obvious why PM64 isn’t getting the same treatement. It’s on NSO.

I would love for this post to age badly, and this ends up being a full-fledged remake that boosts the visuals and aesthetics to match that of the Origami King, but i’m getting more of a “3D All Stars” vibe from this rumor, if it is even true at all.

That’s the catch.
It’s probably not a remake, but a remaster. Think Metroid Prime.
Easy money for a game they don’t have to touch at all that barely anybody can play right now.
It’s obvious why PM64 isn’t getting the same treatement. It’s on NSO.

I would love for this post to age badly, and this ends up being a full-fledged remake that boosts the visuals and aesthetics to match that of the Origami King, but i’m getting more of a “3D All Stars” vibe from this rumor, if it is even true at all.
Metroid Prime was a very high effort remaster though, to the point where you could argue for it as a remake. Certainly not something that they "didn't touch at all". If a theoretical Thousand Year Door remaster ends up looking worse than Origami King, it's gonna generate some pretty bad press for them, especially if the price is high.

Metroid Prime was a very high effort remaster though, to the point where you could argue for it as a remake. Certainly not something that they "didn't touch at all". If a theoretical Thousand Year Door remaster ends up looking worse than Origami King, it's gonna generate some pretty bad press for them, especially if the price is high.
I haven’t played Prime HD so I didn’t realize how much of a bump it is. Yeah. I don’t expect that either. I expect we either get a Sunshine 3D All Stars styled port (which was a simple upres of the original game with added widescreen support)

Or nothing at all, and this rumor is bullshit.

You do have to wonder what the Paper Mario team has been working on, though. It’s been 3 years and they have the Origami King assets right on hand. I doubt they aren’t working on the next game right now, but I do have some serious doubt that said next game is a full remake of TTYD that elevates it to the graphical and aesthetic heights of TOK.

Again, I hope I am wrong. And I do wonder what the Paper Mario team is working on currently. They began development on Color Splash right after Sticker Star, and Origami King right after Color Splash. Something is cooking.

I am very curious how well this remake would do in terms of sales and I was a bit surprised to see that Super Paper Mario is (still) the best selling game in the series, followed by Origami King and with a big gap to the first two games.
However SPM and OK released on the most successful home systems by far so that comparison alone doesn't tell us much.

I am curious though as why people think Nintendo would chose to remake TTYD and skip the original Paper Mario entirely. it makes sense I suppose considering that the Gamecube game would need less of a graphical overhaul to be remade for the Switch. but it somehow it feels a bit "random" and maybe more like wishful thinking.

Having said that, i would LOVE to be wrong on this. it's the only game in this uneven series that I never played actually.
For one, PM64 is on NSO already and has been on VC twice, while TTYD is literally only available physically. And it’s also more beloved.

Yeah but a remake is not quite the same as the N64 ROM (with horribly clunky controls w/o the N64 Controller in particular) so I don't really see that as a reason to exclude that game from being remastered. You can also play Links Awakening on NSO or buy the remake for Switch.
My reasoning is that TTYD also has more content than PM64; more bang for your buck. Now I'm not gonna believe that Nintendo is thinking altruistically here to remake TTYD over 64, but I think standing up to reviewers of 2023 compared to 2000 or 2004, Paper Mario TTYD even without the rose nostalgia glasses would have a lot more meat to to sink your teeth into with sidequests, minigames and post-game content. PM64's ending I let idle for five minutes before I realized it wasn't gonna stop until I turned off the game when I first beat it on Wii lol

I haven’t played Prime HD so I didn’t realize how much of a bump it is. Yeah. I don’t expect that either. I expect we either get a Sunshine 3D All Stars styled port (which was a simple upres of the original game with added widescreen support)
They haven't done this for any other Switch remaster/remake apart from 3D All-Stars, which was very clearly a one off, so I'm not sure why this would be expected. Look at the treatment Wii titles like Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Xenoblade Chronicles had, and I think that's closer to what we can expect for any hypothetical GC Paper Mario remaster (including the price tag).

It's also the case that there's an existing HD style and tools that Intelligent Systems - or whoever is contracted to assist with remastering - could adapt, which would help to cut down on the amount of work required.

They haven't done this for any other Switch remaster/remake apart from 3D All-Stars, which was very clearly a one off, so I'm not sure why this would be expected. Look at the treatment Wii titles like Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Xenoblade Chronicles had, and I think that's closer to what we can expect for any hypothetical GC Paper Mario remaster (including the price tag).

It's also the case that there's an existing HD style and tools that Intelligent Systems - or whoever is contracted to assist with remastering - could adapt, which would help to cut down on the amount of work required.
Because the GC titles, if they're more of a line like has been framed with F-Zero mentions, feel like a replacement for the Wii U ports. Something easy to do relatively speaking, not a big undertaking. Xenoblade was a direct ender, these sound like fan service bites to tide the core until the next system.

Because the GC titles, if they're more of a line like has been framed with F-Zero mentions, feel like a replacement for the Wii U ports. Something easy to do relatively speaking, not a big undertaking. Xenoblade was a direct ender, these sound like fan service bites to tide the core until the next system.
Wii U ports have been (mostly) relatively basic efforts because they're recent titles with HD visuals, and so from Nintendo's perspective there's little reason to do any comprehensive update.

That's not the case for Wii or GC titles from 12 to 20 years ago, which need more of a visual overhaul. The convenient thing for Nintendo will likely be that the gameplay, level design and underlying geometry is modern enough to not require too many changes (which could well not be the case with N64 titles, or 2D titles).

Believe me, what you’re telling me is music to my ears. I just don’t think it’ll happen. I see Nintendo pushing out TTYD HD as a simple upres for the quick, easy money that it would make them. I don’t see them giving it Origami-tier visuals and treating it as the next tentpole Paper Mario release, simply because it goes against a lot of the series standards they’ve established since Sticker Star and they clearly are very determined to continue along that path, for better or worse.

But i’m clearly all for being proven wrong.

Believe me, what you’re telling me is music to my ears. I just don’t think it’ll happen. I see Nintendo pushing out TTYD HD as a simple upres for the quick, easy money that it would make them. I don’t see them giving it Origami-tier visuals and treating it as the next tentpole Paper Mario release, simply because it goes against a lot of the series standards they’ve established since Sticker Star and they clearly are very determined to continue along that path, for better or worse.

But i’m clearly all for being proven wrong.
I guess it all depends on where TTYD will fall on the remaster <---> remake scale. Nintendo has been pretty good about archiving and maintaining the source code for their first party releases, and most Gamecube games hold up in terms of visuals even now. A simple upres is a quick and dirty way to make some extra dough, but depending on how much money they want to sink into these individual projects beyond a widescreen hack, some UI reconfiguration and visual overhauls (honestly, I wonder with all the focus Nintendo has on DLSS, if they'd consider AI to upscale existing textures to reduce the workload and overall production timeline), maybe we could see this lean more towards a remake depending on how much they want to dig up the code foundation.

I worry my above paragraph is rambling, but on the whole the crux of my point is that there is no precedence for a Paper Mario re-release beyond 64. Unless more details of this rumour are brought forth short of an official announcement (or it's proven false as rumours oft are), there's not much we can parse on how much effort will go into bringing this game nearly two decades into the future.

so am I an outlier for liking the white outline?

I mean, I couldn’t tell you why, it wouldn’t have been my first choice in game design

but it really works for me in the games

I mean, I couldn’t tell you why, it wouldn’t have been my first choice in game design

I didn't realize we were outliers. I mean, not for this reason at least.

Not really. I like the design myself, but it’s not a make-or-break kind of situation. PM is a franchise where many different visual approaches can work - as I personally believe they’ve demonstrated in action consistently.

I'd love for PM as a series to get to the point where the biggest issue people had with it is they don't like the aesthetic choice of white outlines.

Eventually I’d like to make Concept art of (what if) locations, enemies, partners etc. using the same art style I showed on the last page. Would anybody be interested in that? Perhaps make it into a video or just post pieces on social media?

It seems Zippo is parroting this rumor, but I am not super trustworthy in him specifically. Anybody else been saying it is coming? I've been seeing it commonly talked about on the Nintendo Direct speculation thread.

It seems Zippo is parroting this rumor, but I am not super trustworthy in him specifically. Anybody else been saying it is coming? I've been seeing it commonly talked about on the Nintendo Direct speculation thread.
Zippo has been proven in the past to make shit up. I wouldn't trust his word at all.

I don't know. If Zippo is saying "this one is real" after specifically backing the rumor...seems he's doubling down...I would be more likely to trust this now.

Think most of this will be correct, simply due to the fact that none of this originated from Zippo. This is just a list of every major Nintendo leak besides Mario Baseball.

I don't know. If Zippo is saying "this one is real" after specifically backing the rumor...seems he's doubling down...I would be more likely to trust this now.
You would be wrong to do that.

Zippo once claimed that the final character of the first Smash Ultimate pass was a third-party character, only to later crawl into the Era Smash speculation thread and ask if Fire Emblem is third party.

He is completely untrustworthy.

Zippo piggybacks off of other rumors and then doubles down on them and acts as if they originated from him. He has zero credibility, and then when he’s called out, he gets angry on his blog. And lol at him doubling down on the Akechi game.

You would be wrong to do that.

Zippo once claimed that the final character of the first Smash Ultimate pass was a third-party character, only to later crawl into the Era Smash speculation thread and ask if Fire Emblem is third party.

He is completely untrustworthy.
I mean, he clearly knows what's happening. I don't know if he's honest, but he knows. Would he really say that, double down, and then . . . I don't know. He's won of the more odd leakers - I would prefer if say Emily Rogers had said something about it - but as far as credibility, factually, he's usually...at least knowledgeable, if not honest to any degree.

I mean, he clearly knows what's happening. I don't know if he's honest, but he knows. Would he really say that, double down, and then . . . I don't know. He's won of the more odd leakers - I would prefer if say Emily Rogers had said something about it - but as far as credibility, factually, he's usually...at least knowledgeable, if not honest to any degree.
He's neither of those things. He either copies what legitimate leakers are saying or he just lies.

Zippo hasn't been a member here or on era in years. Maybe it's time to move on guys? Just ban his blog from being linked here and be done with it.

Yes Zippo would completely make things up. That's all Zippo does. Zippo is no better than that SamusHunter "leaker". Zippo doesn't know anything, doesn't have any industry connections that are telling him things, and it's a complete waste of everyone's time and mental energy to even consider anything they say with any earnest.

I guess I'm late to the discussion, but it's interesting to read the talk about updating the visuals on the first half of this page. Perhaps a hot take, but I'd really prefer the flat-shaded comic book halftone look of the original over the cardboard diorama with realistic lighting look of newer entries. I'm all for updating the visuals on par with Metroid Prime, but I'd hope they do so in a way that stays true to the original visual identity.

Yes Zippo would completely make things up. That's all Zippo does. Zippo is no better than that SamusHunter "leaker". Zippo doesn't know anything, doesn't have any industry connections that are telling him things, and it's a complete waste of everyone's time and mental energy to even consider anything they say with any earnest.
This is how I feel. Just treat him as a banned source.
How would you enforce that, though? I think it would be distasteful to punish everyone who dares to mutter the word Zippo. This would be especially frustrating for people unaware of this ban and newcomers. I think a better approach would to simply inform people posting about Zippo about his bad track record and his antics. I think educating people is way better than censoring people. Also, banning Zippo as a source could open floodgates to banning other sources, which could potentially be abused.

How would you enforce that, though? I think it would be distasteful to punish everyone who dares to mutter the word Zippo. This would be especially frustrating for people unaware of this ban and newcomers. I think a better approach would to simply inform people posting about Zippo about his bad track record and his antics. I think educating people is way better than censoring people. Also, banning Zippo as a source could open floodgates to banning other sources, which could potentially be abused.
That's up to the staff to determine.

Banning a source doesn't mean punishing people who discuss it, you could just add in a filter for his website and that alone would help a lot

Some things just aren't worth being discussed ad nauseam, like franchises about magic schools authored by hateful cretins

Is this Thousand Year Door HD remaster happening? Or do I have to keep pretending I will play my GameCube copy?
FwwfRWyX0BstvM7.jpg

They can just make urls to the site not work. Doesn't need to be punishable, just helps cut down on the noise and regurgitation of the same talking points. Frequently the people reposting Zippo's blog are users who are well aware of the history, and are just wanting to shit post, or are so desperate for rumors that they go to Zippo's blog anyway, even though they believe him to be a dubious source. Anytime the name or his rumors are brought up on here it causes pages of the same posts over and over, so it's doesn't feel particularly constructive/healthy at this point.

That's up to the staff to determine.
That's true.

Banning a source doesn't mean punishing people who discuss it, you could just add in a filter for his website and that alone would help a lot

Some things just aren't worth being discussed ad nauseam, like franchises about magic schools authored by hateful cretins

FwwfRWyX0BstvM7.jpg
Yeah, good point. I hadn't considered that yet.

They can just make urls to the site not work. Doesn't need to be punishable, just helps cut down on the noise and regurgitation of the same talking points. Frequently the people reposting Zippo's blog are users who are well aware of the history, and are just wanting to shit post, or are so desperate for rumors that they go to Zippo's blog anyway, even though they believe him to be a dubious source. Anytime the name or his rumors are brought up on here it causes pages of the same posts over and over, so it's doesn't feel particularly constructive/healthy at this point.
Oh wow, thanks for the information. Good point, and i get banning him now if that's true.

Yeah zippo is a bullshitter and the only reason he keeps on hanging on is because somehow the source gaming guys are fine with him hanging out in their discord and thus continuing to blab these made up rumors, or stuff he piggybacked there.

Yesterday he did a chrono trigger remake rumor and while i feel a port of that is inevitable after cross ain’t noooooo way in hell is a remake happening unless it’s a HD2D one in like, several years from now lol, especially with the extra legal stuff making that tougher to port than cross.

TTYDHD feels like as safe of a prediction as a PMD2 remake (since the prior game got remade, and that team’s been busy on an unannounced project since, so I’m confident that’s gonna happen) because well, GCN ports are an easy thing to pad out the calendar, and the Wii U well dried up… so anyone can claim to be a leaker for predicting it until it happens. Same goes for the infamous Zelda or MP2/3 HD rumors we’ve dealt with for years. Those are kinda inevitable sounding, but also could easily not happen. So grifters are gonna throw darts until they get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom