• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Paper Mario Thousand Year Door HD in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have preferred a new Paper Mario entry, but if we get TTYD I hope it's a proper remake with improved level design, visuals more akin to TOK (TTYD is so drab, lol) while still keeping the atmosphere of the original intact and a complete new soundtrack (not just a new recording, a new original soundtrack). Starting with Sticker Star (even if the rest of the game was mediocre) the series started having really good music, which has peaked so far with TOK. The music in the first few games just can't compete. Character designs, writing, gameplay mechanics and story should be taken straight from the original with minimal adjustments where necessary.
Starting with Sticker Star? I’d say Super Paper Mario has superb music with a lot of hard hitting leitmotifs, with a unique style that hasn’t been replicated again.

I think we all talk about this a bit too much as if it’s actually real. The rumor source seems to still be very sketchy. It’s reassuring to see the leaker contacted Nate once again, but let’s see what Nate says about it this time

Starting with Sticker Star? I’d say Super Paper Mario has superb music with a lot of hard hitting leitmotifs, with a unique style that hasn’t been replicated again.
I replayed SPM about 2-3 years ago and don't remember being wowed by the music tbh. To be fair, the game as a whole was fairly lacking, though (second worst PM game to date imho), so maybe my negative feelings towards the game itself clouded my judgement of the music? I'll give the soundtrack another listening.

Last edited:
This is going to make me sound like a total classic Paper Mario fanboy, but I don't think the new Paper Mario art style is universally better than the old one. I'm not really talking character design here - I think there's a happy medium between keeping the more original NPC designs while still making classic Mario species appear more "on model," kinda like what Mondo went into earlier in the thread. I'm taking more in general.

On it's own, the look is quite lovely. Mario and friends are these individual paper characters in a wider arts and crafts world, and they get a lot of mileage out of reinterpreting the Mario world in that art style. It even contextualizes the outline and flat colors, changes I don't specifically love but understand - it gives the characters this sharp, freshly-printed look. But it's a style that hits different beats than the more "storybook" look that TTYD and especially PM64 go for, where the paper makes me think more of a pop-up book. They are both their own things, despite Paper Mario (the character's) general design being pretty set in stone outside of colors and outlines and such. If a TTYD remake shifts the art style to be more like the modern games in that regard, I feel like something would be missing - still gorgeous, but the vibe would be off.

This is going to make me sound like a total classic Paper Mario fanboy, but I don't think the new Paper Mario art style is universally better than the old one. I'm not really talking character design here - I think there's a happy medium between keeping the more original NPC designs while still making classic Mario species appear more "on model," kinda like what Mondo went into earlier in the thread. I'm taking more in general.

On it's own, the look is quite lovely. Mario and friends are these individual paper characters in a wider arts and crafts world, and they get a lot of mileage out of reinterpreting the Mario world in that art style. It even contextualizes the outline and flat colors, changes I don't specifically love but understand - it gives the characters this sharp, freshly-printed look. But it's a style that hits different beats than the more "storybook" look that TTYD and especially PM64 go for, where the paper makes me think more of a pop-up book. They are both their own things, despite Paper Mario (the character's) general design being pretty set in stone outside of colors and outlines and such. If a TTYD remake shifts the art style to be more like the modern games in that regard, I feel like something would be missing - still gorgeous, but the vibe would be off.
Total classic Paper Mario fanboy here as well.
Totally would not care at all.

I’m not a fan of the white outlines nor am I fan of the choppy animation style they’ve been using since SS (rather than the individual limbs being moved and rotated as in TTYD/SPM)

But it’s so, so much more worth it to see the modern PM team at least try to make an older Kawade-style game mesh into the arts and papercraft style they’ve developed over time. It would just be so interesting to see, and could have a substantial effect on both the audience of the games and the developers in the future.

Just porting TTYD into HD with a high resolution bump to make a quick buck is so much more deflating. It will have literally zero impact on the series aside from reinforcing certain people’s opinions on the game and the franchise as a whole. It would allow more people to play the game, which is great, but… can’t a remake do that too, to an even more posh extent?

It’s worth giving up the old storybook look and black outlines in exchange for the modern PM team actually having to experiment with a game they’ve… deliberately tried to avoid taking inspiration from for so, so many years.

Yeah, I get this post will age badly once it’s revealed to be just an upressed HD port. But I can dream, and I know what I want

This is why this game potentially being real would be cool just because of what it is, but it's not something I'm personally hyped for. I'd prefer it to not use current art style since I feel the original style is already perfect, but if it did just use the original then it's kinda just like an up res dolphin style port. Still, it would be cool for people to get to experience this game.

@Brofield

Who's "Bobby?" His name's "Bob-omb" like every other Bob-omb to ever Bob-omb, Bobby is just a nickname, one that I'm not even 100% sure is in the Japanese version of TOK.
Have you actually played the game ?
Because thinking he doesn't get a name in Japanese mean you think his character's arc just get fucked in Japan or something lmao

The whole thing with Bobby is a story of individuality and anti-imperialism. Bob-Ombs are pretty much tools, deshumanized beings. They are not supposed to have name, personality, etc. (Pretty much a fascist army : everyone's the same, no individuality)
They exist to blow up during war, that's it.

Realizing that, it's pretty obvious where Bobby's arc is going by giving him a name. Say what you will about modern Paper Mario games, but Taro Kudo's writting is good. Love-De-Lic's writting style is still living through his Paper Mario games, especially now that Skip is seemingly dead too.

I would have preferred a new Paper Mario entry, but if we get TTYD I hope it's a proper remake with improved level design, visuals more akin to TOK (TTYD is so drab, lol) while still keeping the atmosphere of the original intact and a complete new soundtrack (not just a new recording, a new original soundtrack). Starting with Sticker Star (even if the rest of the game was mediocre) the series started having really good music, which has peaked so far with TOK. The music in the first few games just can't compete. Character designs, writing, gameplay mechanics and story should be taken straight from the original with minimal adjustments where necessary.
Replacing the entire score is a terrible idea. Why even remake it if you’re going to change it so drastically?

Replacing the entire score is a terrible idea. Why even remake it if you’re going to change it so drastically?
Because the music is in need of a drastic overhaul to not be a major downgrade from the last few games. Maybe they can achieve that by just re-arranging the soundtrack of the original, but personally I think the music is so weak it would just hold them back.

I remember this exact sentiment (same words, too) being repeated ad infinitum when the Superstar Saga remake's existence got leaked way back in May of 2017. Doomposting over things like Cackletta and Fawful being replaced by Bowser and Bowser Jr. and every single NPC becoming a generic Toad.

But it all turned out okay in the end. I think we'll be fine.
while not as extreme, a lot of the enemy designs were toned down so it's a warranted concern

I thought it would be kind of funny to make this game a sequel instead of a remaster; Call it Paper Mario and the 1,019 Year Door. Everything that happens in the game is the same except they are doing it all over again just 19 years later or however many years it's been between the two since the last one came out by the time it releases as a troll to the fans who wanted a sequel or a game exactly like it even though I'm one of them.

They are not terrible, but please tell me with a straight face you think they are even remotely in the same league as the tracks from the more modern PM games.
"They are in the same league as the tracks from the new games"- Me

R.e1704c88a81b3d3470336f9385a049d5

Have you actually played the game ?
Yes, I was wrong I was going off of what I remember hearing on Twitter when the game came out.

Also while I can appreciate Bobby's story, I don't enjoy it or the lack of a character design, and I don't think that story makes up for giving us a partner who's just a regular Bob-omb or a Professor Toad partner who's just a Professor Toad, or a Magikoopa who's just a Magikoopa.

Also any emotional impact his sacrifice had is null and void when his ghost shows up give seconds later at least imo.

Total classic Paper Mario fanboy here as well.
Totally would not care at all.

I’m not a fan of the white outlines nor am I fan of the choppy animation style they’ve been using since SS (rather than the individual limbs being moved and rotated as in TTYD/SPM)

But it’s so, so much more worth it to see the modern PM team at least try to make an older Kawade-style game mesh into the arts and papercraft style they’ve developed over time. It would just be so interesting to see, and could have a substantial effect on both the audience of the games and the developers in the future.

Just porting TTYD into HD with a high resolution bump to make a quick buck is so much more deflating. It will have literally zero impact on the series aside from reinforcing certain people’s opinions on the game and the franchise as a whole. It would allow more people to play the game, which is great, but… can’t a remake do that too, to an even more posh extent?

It’s worth giving up the old storybook look and black outlines in exchange for the modern PM team actually having to experiment with a game they’ve… deliberately tried to avoid taking inspiration from for so, so many years.

Yeah, I get this post will age badly once it’s revealed to be just an upressed HD port. But I can dream, and I know what I want
For me, I think the sweet spot for an HD remake would be doing what Metroid Prime Remastered did. Give us the game we remember by using higher quality textures and models but generally preserving the original art style. Clean it up, make it more modern and detailed with some UI tweaks or making certain things look more like their modern Mario counterparts or whatever, but don't turn the game into something it isn't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a TTYD remake being able to hold onto its original style and identity, even if future games in the series continue to pull from the arts and crafts stuff.

And I’ve always thought the weakest thing about the first 2 OG paper Mario games is having mediocre soundtracks.

A few decent tracks in each game. But that’s just it for both, personally.

Tho 64 has my favorite track in the series. Simplistic but well done in context. And nostalgia, felt magical as a kid playing this and walking along Star summit.

Is it though

The first two Paper Mario games have fantastic soundtracks. This is the first time I’ve ever hear anyone argue for their outright removal. If you’re removing major components of a video game, why even bother remaking it?
The first one, sure. TTYD is… eh. Ofc, removing it is nonsensical but it would definitely benefit from modern samples and a fuller mix.

They're going to change a bunch visually if this is real, because 'just the thing from before upscaled' isn't how Nintendo has done any of the full retail remakes of n64 and GameCube games, and they've done a ton of them at this point

And in any case, there's not really any point harshly limiting sales potential by only appealing to that audience when the series has the ability to do much better sales wise than that.

(Going to be a real mess on social media if/when this sells less than origami king)
for the matter, the origami king's lack of legs could quickly be applied to people not liking the new direction the series has gone to.

As if people pay attention to motifs and the like, all they want is big sounding music that sounds cool but in the end doesnt leads anywhere. Its the BOTW criticism, really, people would much rather hear a generic "dark" choir without any sort of melody than BOTW's simple but full of motifs tracks.

Memories in Super Paper Mario playing in all of the "flashbacks" and leading up to the triumphant Bounding Through Time. Or Count Bleck's theme scattered through the entire game, its all wonderful stuff.

As if people pay attention to motifs and the like, all they want is big sounding music that sounds cool but in the end doesnt leads anywhere. Its the BOTW criticism, really, people would much rather hear a generic "dark" choir without any sort of melody than BOTW's simple but full of motifs tracks.
I cannot imagine how much worse Breath of the Wild would be if there were a looping overworld theme that played constantly.

The first one, sure. TTYD is… eh. Ofc, removing it is nonsensical but it would definitely benefit from modern samples and a fuller mix.
I don't necessarily disagree with that - but that's a different discussion.

Anyway, everyone post their favorite TTYD tracks:

I kinda group the first three Paper Mario games together in terms of OST quality. They're all good, great at times, but nothing I found too memorable. Origami King outclasses them all for me, as well as a few of the Mario & Luigi games.

tbh, every Paper Mario game has some of the best music I have ever heard in my life. Especially surprised to see people complaining about TTYD and Super’s OST. Uhh, have you NOT heard X-Naut Fortress or Count Bleck’s Castle ? So many other examples I could list. I also love the atmospheric melodies so much, like Memories (Super Paper Mario) or Twilight Dusk Train Ride (TTYD).

Hearing the entire soundtrack remixed would blow people’s socks off. Think of it as how good Mario Kart’s music is now, even though a lot of the songs are still the same ones we’ve heard for years now.

Honestly, every Paper Mario game has a killer soundtrack so I feel like I'm in an alternate reality with this thread a bit.

Origami King's might honestly be the best soundtrack I've heard in many years though, so if they resampled the TTYD to use higher quality instrumentals (while hopefully giving the original as an option) that'd be swell.

I mean I like the soundtracks of the more recent installments too, especially TOK which has a ton of memorable tunes (and claiming it doesn't would be as confusing to me as claiming TTYD doesn't to me, lol); but the first three games (even Super, which I dislike on the whole) obviously have exceptional soundtracks too; wasn't aware that was up for debate.

I wouldn't be even opposed to TTYD HD having a rearranged soundtrack just like the Mario & Luigi remakes did; hell, they could take some liberaties like creating chapter-specific variants on the main battle theme (like TOK did) and i'd be totally okay with it; but the original soundtrack should always remain an option as well. Any good remaster / rerelease does this; even Nintendo published games occasionally do, like Xenoblade DE and Famicom Detective Club.

I mean I like the soundtracks of the more recent installments too, especially TOK which has a ton of memorable tunes (and claiming it doesn't would be as confusing to me as claiming TTYD doesn't to me, lol); but the first three games (even Super, which I dislike on the whole) obviously have exceptional soundtracks too; wasn't aware that was up for debate.

I wouldn't be even opposed to TTYD HD having a rearranged soundtrack just like the Mario & Luigi remakes did; hell, they could take some liberaties like creating chapter-specific variants on the main battle theme (like TOK did) and i'd be totally okay with it; but the original soundtrack should always remain an option as well. Any good remaster / rerelease does this; even Nintendo published games occasionally do, like Xenoblade DE and Famicom Detective Club.
This I agree with; the music itself still stands the test of time but if there's an opportunity to move from MIDI files to live orchestration (or at least higher quality sound samples) then that would also be a way the game could be markedly improved without relying exclusively on uprezzed textures

All I'll say is the title theme of TTYD is one of the best things ever, it would be criminal to change that.

Also a quick word on the homogenization of Mario characters, frankly it fucking sucks. It's boring and I don't want anything even close to that in TTYD, it would be getting rid of one of the best things about the game.

Oh jeez, I hadn't even considered them remixing the battle theme for each chapter... Now I want this.

You want the TTYD soundtrack completely replaced? Are you crying yet? Sorry, this song isn't armed with tissues...

This I agree with; the music itself still stands the test of time but if there's an opportunity to move from MIDI files to live orchestration (or at least higher quality sound samples) then that would also be a way the game could be markedly improved without relying exclusively on uprezzed textures
I don’t think ttyd would really fit a live orchestrated soundtrack.

Looking at the Pokémon go craze that happened during 2016, this made pokemon sun and moon sell very well.
Since Nintendo is under a Mario movie craze, I could expect the TTYD remaster to sell very well.

Looking at the Pokémon go craze that happened during 2016, this made pokemon sun and moon sell very well.
Since Nintendo is under a Mario movie craze, I could expect the TTYD remaster to sell very well.

I'm not sure those two situations are related at all. Pokémon go pushed up the mainline games, sure, but it's not like it had any real noticeable effect on the other spin offs, with the best performing, the mystery dungeon series, staying at around 1.4-1.6m on the 3ds both before and after the release of go.

There are plenty of other mario games that will do well, a spin off paper RPG is way, way down the list. The games people will reach for if they have caught the mario fever are going to much more likely be Odyssey, 3D world, Kart, NSMBU or one of the mario parties, rather than something that deviates hugely from the movies aesthetic.

for the matter, the origami king's lack of legs could quickly be applied to people not liking the new direction the series has gone to.

What lack of legs? It sold another 300k in 2021, which is decent for a game which was a one and done with no extended support (if people were wondering why they give the mario sports titles downloadable courses and characters over time, thats your answer).

In all likelihood, any limited lifetime would only have been even more frontloaded if they leaned even harder in to the old RPG style. It's not like RPGs without updates are known for having extended lifetimes in general.

Even on hardcore forums, the actual demand for something that plays like a classic paper mario style game is muted [I spent enough time shilling for bug fables to realise this], to the point where I'm pretty sure the people at IntSys know what they're doing and there isn't actually some massive audience just waiting to jump on that also isn't interested at all in games like Origami king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom