• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

The battle feedback so far in this game feels like a downgrade to me. Lots of little details that don't measure up to the modern games and also feel like a step down from the original. The puppet animations work well in the open world where animations are more casually paced but there's no sense of energy in the Superguard or Mario's hammer swings. This was one of those things the modern games actually did exceptionally well, and even the original version made attacks feel like they had some weight as opposed to how somewhat sluggish it feels conveyed here. The combined subtle differences of how sound effects, hit sparks, and audience ambience feels comparatively muted, makes hits overall feel like they lack the punch. Just some other parts in general that feel a bit slow like the snappiness of the menu selection.

Game visually looks very nice but it feels restrained in some subtle ways.
I do agree the the audience crowd sound effect feels really muted for some reason. I'm not sure what you mean by restrained when it comes to the visuals tho.

I do agree the the audience crowd sound effect feels really muted for some reason. I'm not sure what you mean by restrained when it comes to the visuals tho.
I meant that mostly in relation to the aforementioned paragraph, as in yes the overall game undeniably looks gorgeous in a vacuum, just that I think elements like the battle presentation and animations just isn't all up to that same level.

I do not understand how someone who probably spent years asking for this game could get this faithful of a faithful remake and choose to die on the hill of 60fps or minor changes. This is why developers don’t listen to fans lol

I meant that mostly in relation to the aforementioned paragraph, as in yes the overall game undeniably looks gorgeous in a vacuum, just that I think elements like the battle presentation and animations just isn't all up to that same level.
Ah, I see. Although I think the animations are just as fluid as the original(and the modern trilogy foe that matter).

I do not understand how someone who probably spent years asking for this game could get this faithful of a faithful remake and choose to die on the hill of 60fps or minor changes. This is why developers don’t listen to fans lol

I never asked for it, was pleasantly surprised, but I absolutely hate 30fps.

Good thing modders fixed the game already!

30fps is a bit disappointing, but it would've been bad if it was a stuttering mess at 60 for battles or the overworld.

I finished chapter 1, and this game is an absolute joy so far. I will definitely be binging this over the next week or so.

Duuuuude, I am completely taken by the Rogueport Sewers arrangement, and the elements they add to it as you go further down. Definitely sells the “lost civilization” aspect of it. So goddamn good.

Only in the prologue, but this is a wonderful remake so far. I can definitely feel the slight sluggishness in the battles compared to the original, though. You can still mash A to speed up the victory fanfare, thankfully lol.

Nope. I played some gamecube games on my wii when I was younger, but I never played TTYD. I'm glad I have the chance now!
Hell yeah. Keep us posted, love this running commentary from people new to the game!

Can't wait to rank all the chapters after we experience all these audiovisual and QOL updates

here's a tip don't be afraid to use battle items, the game will throw a bunch at you, and you want avoid your exceeding item limit. learned that the hard way playing Paper Mario 64

Last edited:
Already sunk in a hour and the visual really surprised me with how good everything looks.

Like seeing it in person is unbelievable weird, since it’s probably my favourite looking Switch game and we’re in its final year of the system.

I think Shwonk Fortress is meant to heavily encourage the use of items and make you comfortable doing so. Aside from it having the enemies you need a POW block to beat, and the clefts which also require them unless you have the Power Smash equipped or are good with super guarding, it also starts spamming the Fuzzys at you, who you can't beat quickly and they sap your health to heal, heavily encouraging you to use Fire Flowers which can be found in boxes around the area and does just enough damage to kill them all in one go.

But the thing is if you talk to the same NPC again with the same dialog this time you CAN speed it up, so the fact you can't from the first time is baffling
Yep, evidence that it's an intentional design choice, which I do find genuinely annoying. Only other gripe is that the battle menus definitely feel just a tad less responsive which is also a bit annoying. It would be awesome if both of these things could be addressed in a patch, but something tells me they're basically done with this one (there's no day 1 patch either) so not super likely.

Other than that, having a fantastic time!

Memories flooding back...
Had it on Gamecube but have strangely only played through it once despite loving it.
Looks the business and the music is sublime!

Newcomers PLEASE, post impressions!! I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts on the game!

Highly recommend you watch Jake Steinberg, former GameXplain member, play through the game.

He's new to the game and is absolutely gushing about it

Been playing chapter 1 and feeling like a happy kid the whole time.

It looks stunning, it sounds stunning, and most important of all, the gameplay is marvelous. Playing a Paper Mario game with a good battle system design again is a dream.

The 30 fps is no issue at all.

Amazon or third-party sellers on Amazon?
I mean I dunno if it's third party sellers but it's enough to get it #4 on best sellers, only beaten by the usual gift cards. Would be kinda crazy if it did that off third party sellers alone

After years of hating the blue muppet, I gotta say this is a fantastic game. The backtracking annoys me but other than that it's PM64 elevated to a brand new level. Can't wait to play more!

Playing it for the first time now. I managed to pick up a copy from the local GameStop, usually they don’t offer new copies of Nintendo games day one unless you preorder. I remember grabbing the last copy of Kirby and the Forgotten Land in my area 2 years ago because I didn’t know that, and majority of them were sold to those who preordered. Curious.

Always, obvious stuff first, this game looks and sounds incredibly. Like Origami King was already one of the best looking games on Switch, and I think this might even top it. And the music slaps so hard, though I think it’s maybe a little too intense in Rougeport given what that city actually is. But it sounds good so who really cares.

Combat is… fine? The combat of this game has been talked up for so many years because of how controversial the combat was of later games that I was expecting a bit more than “jump on flying guys” and “don’t jump on spiky guys”. I’m hoping things starts ramping up and getting more interesting in the next chapter or two because battles are kinda boring in chapter one and I end up skipping most of them that aren’t required. I played Paper Mario 64 a few months ago for the first time and felt the same way there so idk. It’s not bad at all, just not very interesting to me.

Random thought, but earth tremor feels slightly overtuned for the first half of the game. I absolutely love this game of course. But I think that's the curse of not having incremental upgrades to abilities as you go along. It's an ability that's balanced to still be okay-ish in the end game but it's essentially a room wipe until like chapter 5-6.

Noticing the game pick up difficulty now in Chapter 5. Hopefully trend continues. Although the next super powerful move can still room wipe but it's much higher cost so it makes sense. It's so fast and easy to build back 2 star power for earth tremor.

There's a decent bit of side stuff to get lost in too and I enjoy 100%ing all the zones.

Also, for the next RPG Paper Mario I think it is an absolute must that they take a look at the BP system because there's basically no reason to not invest all your level ups into BP... since it's the most flexible stat.

Last edited:
Playing it for the first time now. I managed to pick up a copy from the local GameStop, usually they don’t offer new copies of Nintendo games day one unless you preorder. I remember grabbing the last copy of Kirby and the Forgotten Land in my area 2 years ago because I didn’t know that, and majority of them were sold to those who preordered. Curious.

Always, obvious stuff first, this game looks and sounds incredibly. Like Origami King was already one of the best looking games on Switch, and I think this might even top it. And the music slaps so hard, though I think it’s maybe a little too intense in Rougeport given what that city actually is. But it sounds good so who really cares.

Combat is… fine? The combat of this game has been talked up for so many years because of how controversial the combat was of later games that I was expecting a bit more than “jump on flying guys” and “don’t jump on spiky guys”. I’m hoping things starts ramping up and getting more interesting in the next chapter or two because battles are kinda boring in chapter one and I end up skipping most of them that aren’t required. I played Paper Mario 64 a few months ago for the first time and felt the same way there so idk. It’s not bad at all, just not very interesting to me.
I think it's fine, yeah? Not fantastic, not terrible, but fine. Bug Fables takes the action in a much more engaging direction, in my opinion.

I'm really enjoying it, more than I expected to as someone who very much didn't love PM64. It feels weirdly of its time in some ways, but it's cute.

The giggles, the cute details, the sheer volume of "Oh I come back here later when I get something, don't I? Sweet!", the world feels really rich so far.

My three complaints are probably, one that the battles don't feel suuper responsive, I know RPG battle mechanics can't really be "floaty", but they feel "floaty" to me. Two, the remade music is REALLY in my face. Like distractingly so, it doesn't feel like background music. Other bits of music sound more Origami King - like they don't quite fit into TTYD. Three, the UI... Why can't I have HP, FP and shortcuts stay visible on the screen? They take up so little of the screen real estate.

The world design is such a contrast to Origami King. Not worse, not better, but so, so different. Origami King's world feels real in a physical sense, everything seems to react to the player, it's more mechanically rich with more interactions. The world feels more cohesive in a physical sense. TTYD is like. The opposite. "GAMEPLAY" is signposted, everything else is flavour. The world is intentionally made up of endless little dioramas rather than one huge sculpture. But it feels so much more lived in, there's more things to discover, more things to come back to, more things that make me go "huh". When I'm finished an area in Origami King I feel very much like I'm done now and never need to come back, in TTYD, it feels like there's always something I need to investigate later, some suspicious character with no purpose... Yet. So many more incidental bits of dialogue and characters that exist just to fill the world and make it feel more lived in. I'd love to see the next game in the series combine the best of both, so here's hoping.

I've been tempted to use the Double Pain badge or do some kind of challenge run. But thinking maybe I'll just play this normally for my first run through and try to 100% it. If the Double Pain badge had some kind of upside like extra XP (as the Bug Fables equivalent does) then I'd probably use it.

I think it's fine, yeah? Not fantastic, not terrible, but fine. Bug Fables takes the action in a much more engaging direction, in my opinion.
The combat imo is the most engaging aspect of this game, especially after chapter 2 and onward. Second only to the story/writing.

The combat opens up with the badge system and the enemies get more varied from chapter 3 on. It's not a difficult game, but the combat is highly engaging and fun

0D4IEF6.gif

Combat being a bit one-note at first is like the first rule of JRPGs lol.

Though I’ll say TTYD’s got the advantage of being able to practice action command/stylish move timings even on trash mobs you know you’ll beat easily. Nailing timings is always satisfying and goes a long way to make combat fun.

Took me all day to finally get the chance to pick it up, but the remake I have been dreaming of for so long is finally here! 😭 Sadly I’ll be waiting until the weekend to start playing because of work obligations tomorrow, but hooo buddy I am getting excited just staring at the box art!

It’s honestly surreal to finally have my two favorite Paper Mario games side by side, for the same console :)

GOTl7kBXkAA3H8h

(please don’t take this too seriously, all paper marios on switch are good probably )

Two, the remade music is REALLY in my face. Like distractingly so, it doesn't feel like background music. Other bits of music sound more Origami King - like they don't quite fit into TTYD.
This is my first time playing it but I've heard a decent amount of TTYD's soundtrack before and honestly I think the soundtrack was always a bit of a mixed bag, a lot of it was very scattershot but lacking in the direction that 64's crazier tracks had so it feels random. This makes the remixes a bit of a mixed bag themselves, because on the one hand they have much better production to the point I wouldn't really want to switch to the original OST, but on the other hand they also mess with the tracks that were perfectly crafted (heh) to begin with like Rogue Port or the Sewers. I do agree with the Origami thing, there's tracks here that sound like Origami King or even The Great Ace Attorney which sounds very out of place.

Random thought, but earth tremor feels slightly overtuned for the first half of the game. I absolutely love this game of course. But I think that's the curse of not having incremental upgrades to abilities as you go along. It's an ability that's balanced to still be okay-ish in the end game but it's essentially a room wipe until like chapter 5-6.

Noticing the game pick up difficulty now in Chapter 5. Hopefully trend continues. Although the next super powerful move can still room wipe but it's much higher cost so it makes sense. It's so fast and easy to build back 2 star power for earth tremor.

There's a decent bit of side stuff to get lost in too and I enjoy 100%ing all the zones.

Also, for the next RPG Paper Mario I think it is an absolute must that they take a look at the BP system because there's basically no reason to not invest all your level ups into BP... since it's the most flexible stat.
I think a good way to go about the BP system is to make it so that Health and flower-up badges are less frequent. That way you are encouraged to invest more into health and flower points. Lets's be honest, no one is going to invest in health, it's a waste of a level up.

I’m struggling to put into words how much this game means to me. Intelligent Systems absolutely KILLED it with this remake, and have easily stomped out any concern I might have had. This is the return to form I dreamed of, and I can’t imagine it in a better way. It’s so faithful to the original, while still somehow such an improvement.

I am taking my sweet time with this game, savoring every moment I’ve waited so long to experience. I’m seven hours in and only beaten Chapter 1. This isn’t one I’m going to speed through… I want to fully enjoy every moment.

I’m going to end this post with a bold statement: for me, as someone who doesn’t care about or notice the difference between 30 vs 60 fps, this remake is absolutely PERFECT. There’s nothing I would have done differently. For my needs, it’s perfect in every way.

Okay… maybe they could’ve made it so you can take on multiple Trouble Center requests at once. But we don’t need to talk about that. ;)

I think a good way to go about the BP system is to make it so that Health and flower-up badges are less frequent. That way you are encouraged to invest more into health and flower points. Lets's be honest, no one is going to invest in health, it's a waste of a level up.
Even if this game had no HP/FP up badges, you'd still pick badge point 90% of the time. Super guard is an over powered mechanic, once you learn it there are very few enemies in the game that can pose a real threat. This is even further compounded by the fact partners can be put at point and get hp for free when they rank up.

That said I usually do pick a pure level of HP in chapter 3 and another in the second to last chapter. Those are the two chapters where I feel the difficulty spikes, especially those chapters bosses. Giving Mario a bit more stability is nice at those points, especially for (second to last chapter boss attack spoilers) The garbage cannon the final Clump boss has

There was an NPC I found earlier that could power up my parters with shine sprites and I cannot for the life of me find them again.

Yeah, the fact that you can use your partners as meat shields basically makes HP upgrades pointless so far for me, up through Ch 6.

Back
Top Bottom