• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

image looks to be dead, could someone repost?
GON1I7UWwAAjFPt

It's looking like this occasion will be the first time ever that Aamzon delivers a game on day one to my door (I'm not from the States), pretty rad that TTYD is the lucky one lol

This is my 3rd-ever playthrough of TTYD, and I've decided to keep Unsimplifier equipped for the whole run from the moment I could buy it. My superguard windows used to be decent but unspectacular, but I have to say, the framerate change plus this badge is making it a nice challenge! I'm already having to rely more heavily on items. And I decided to do the Chapter 1 boss fight the brute-force way for the first time as well, which was very satisfying.

Game looks and sounds INCREDIBLE. The partner themes and other added tracks are superb.

Both art styles look great for different reasons. The concept art looks bad because it’s concept art; the finished product would’ve looked much better even if they had stuck with the white outlines.

I’m happy they went with the style they did, because I think it’s a better fit. But both are great. We’re lucky that they’re putting so much time and effort into the art direction of these games regardless of which style they choose.

I’m definitely enjoying the layered look of the characters. Makes them look more “paper craft” rather than just paper cutout. White outline or no white outline, I don’t think really matters that much. But giving the characters more depth and more moving parts does a lot for the look and feel of the game.

I'm watching a stream since my copy won't get here for 2-3 weeks, but wow all the remixes are so good. As simple as a the extra flourish from the horns at the end of the battle victory fanfare just makes it extra special.

Last edited:
An interesting change I’ve noticed. In Petalburg, the residents unambiguously refer to Hooktail as female. I believe in the original you didn’t find out Hooktail was female until nearly the end of the game from her brother Gloomtail.

2-3 weeks from now?! Dang, sorry man.

Thanks but it's ok! It's a much cheaper copy and while I am excited for this remake, I'm fine with waiting.

I'm more eager to see peoples' reactions to this masterpiece if they're playing for the first time.

Got my copy and will start playing after lunch! As a first-timer, I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot. This is the first time I've been hyped about picking up a new nintendo physical game since... Mario Wonder, I think? It's been a while!

My copy will arrive tomorrow! OMG IT'S REAL!
MAAAAN it's still like I'm dreaming, I love this game soooo much!!!
IT'S REAL!
IT'S REAL!
IT'S REAL!
IT'S REAL!
IT'S REAL!
IT'S REAL! (100 TIMES)

My one complaint is the inability to speed up text. Why remove this?

Anyway, onto chapter 2.
Yeah, I love basically everything about this and the 30fps doesnt bother me at all, but that and the text boxes overall being slightly sluggish are my only gripes.

My one complaint is the inability to speed up text. Why remove this?

Anyway, onto chapter 2.
I am constantly galled by games not offering faster text speeds. TOK did this, too, and it took a bit to get used to.

wtf can't change text speed? might actually be the worst part of this remake

gonna go pick up my copy on my lunch break

My guess is the new vocalizations being tied to the text boxes made them disable speeding up text. I imagine they could just cut the recording short like Animal Crossing, but maybe they didn’t like how it sounds.

Copy came in and there's a dent near the center of the spine. Thank God I'm gonna be near a GameStop tomorrow or else I'd be pissed

My guess is the new vocalizations being tied to the text boxes made them disable speeding up text. I imagine they could just cut the recording short like Animal Crossing, but maybe they didn’t like how it sounds.
More evidence that voice acting is a plague!

Banjo-Kazooie also has voice mumbles and it let you speed up the text 25 years ago!

I mean this is literally just grunts. The Mario method of voice acting for the last 28 years.
I stand by my point!

Anyways, @Mekanos is right. Banjo-Kazooie sped this same kind of voice acting up years ago, and it even made it sound funnier!

Now I'm wondering if Color Splash had the option to speed up text...

edit: Nope, dang they've been doing this for quite some time now.

But the thing is if you talk to the same NPC again with the same dialog this time you CAN speed it up, so the fact you can't from the first time is baffling

I think they copied how it works over from Origami King, which also lacked the option to rewind speech bubbles. Definitely a misstep.

zGeUdl0.jpeg

Right next to my copy from Christmas 2004 from when I was just 6 years old...

God... We even have a home video of me opening this game. I was like "Look! I got Paper Mario 2!"

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to this. Haven't played it since about 2016!

The chapter 2 battle theme sounds like Castlevania music. Can’t wait to hear the other ones.
Chapter 6's is INSANE, this OST is amazing. Obviously I haven't made it to Ch. 6 yet haha, but I caved and listen to that track after hearing some hype for it online.

I just realized that the "Beldam speech bubble" meme is probably gonna get a lot of use under the Tweets of a certain english author.

The battle feedback so far in this game feels like a downgrade to me. Lots of little details that don't measure up to the modern games and also feel like a step down from the original. The puppet animations work well in the open world where animations are more casually paced but there's no sense of energy in the Superguard or Mario's hammer swings. This was one of those things the modern games actually did exceptionally well, and even the original version made attacks feel like they had some weight as opposed to how somewhat sluggish it feels conveyed here. The combined subtle differences of how sound effects, hit sparks, and audience ambience feels comparatively muted, makes hits overall feel like they lack the punch. Just some other parts in general that feel a bit slow like the snappiness of the menu selection.

Game visually looks very nice but it feels restrained in some subtle ways.

I’ve got a backlog of games to play and buy, but this happily jumped the list and took my remaining voucher. Can’t wait to dive in.

Damn this might be the first time I got the Thwomp quiz wrong in Chapter 1. Superguard saved the day again against the Clefts it summoned though.
I had no idea that happened when you failed the Thwomp quiz. I thought you just triggered a game over. I never get the store prices question right though

Absolutely adoring it so far; better than the original in just about every way.

This is likely going to become a top 3 Switch game for me

Back
Top Bottom