• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

So the ROM leaked…I thought the lack of online sales was to prevent this…

Obviously it was stock issues or corporate fighting for that.
it actually leaked alot later then normal

also I doubt that's the reason since most leaks come from other countries anyways

Man it took no time at all, apperantly there is a mod that works on regular old models of Switch even that restores the framerate back to 60FPS. :oops:

Game looks absolutely glorious running at this framerate even on this low bitrate video.

knew some were making stuff up when they said 30FPS was just a "byproduct of the new engine", as if any developer would design a new engine to not support above 30FPS. :cautious:

And this really supports what I’ve been saying that there is a hell of a lot more juice inside the Switch than people like to give it credit for.

Anyway, hope to god the devs didn’t just arbitrarily limit this game to 30FPS, just because the newer Paper Mario games are 30FPS. That would be unbelievably stupid. But at least with this mod out there it proves without a doubt that it's not an engine thing and that there is a road for Nintendo to patch this game for 60FPS officially. Sad that they would have to in the first place and this isn't that already but oh well, at least something can be done.

telling me you know nothing about how the switch hardware works without actually telling me

Leaks usually happen from smaller shops that get a shipment early. Smash Ultimate leaked from a mom and pop in Mexico if I’m not mistaken.

The fact that Endless Ocean still isn’t available on Amazon kinda debunked that whole angle in the first place IMO.
True. I just thought it was a funny conspiracy people had. It’s just stock allocations and corporate bickering. Wish they would resolve it though as these games should be easily to get and not difficult

SPOILER_image.png

That’s the Origami King / Color Splash style.
(This is from the new art gallery)

It would be cool if this was an option tbh. Not everyone hates the borders around the characters.

I think what they did in the remake is significantly better than the flat white borders of Origami King. I did not vibe with the flat characters and the white borders combination, it makes the characters look flat.
I'm shocked and appalled to discover that paper is flat

If nothing else, I am so glad they didn't use those horrible looking white borders. It always came across as if someone was lazy that cut all these characters up and left a ton of white space. I wouldn’t miss them one bit if they never returned. Yes i know it still has some in the remake but they never should have gone as far as they did in CS and TOK. Ew

The white you're seeing represents the edge of the glossy paperboard style they've gone with. I like it.
PMTTYD_NS_Mario.png

I agree. This is great.

I never really minded the white outlines too much (Mario’s muted color palette is the more aggregious problem with CS/TOK style imo)

But this is a fantastic compromise.

The remake style still has white borders, it’s just portrayed in a lot more of a subdued style.
The official art shows it pretty clearly
I don't have strong feelings about the diminishment of that difference. If I wanted to be just as fickle about the sprites as others are, I'd say I was never a big fan of how most post-PM64 games de-emphasized the feeling of Mario's sprite being drawn as if it was a whole body as opposed to animating the body parts as if it were a Flash cartoon.

But the TTYD sprites look good. The TOK sprites look good too. Compromises don't matter to me because not once has this series and its way of depicting characters looked bad (well maybe except SPM and its Photoshop intern NPCs and original enemies).

Not that I think what they’ve done with this remake is bad at all, but I honestly prefer the characters being a single piece of cut out paper with the white outlines and stop-motion style animation. And I believe it would’ve made more sense for this game, too, given that Mario literally turns into a single sheet of paper to be folded up or rolled or whatever. It’s kinda weird how he’s normally made up of multiple individual cut out pieces but then turns into a single flat sheet of paper somehow… Not that the alternative makes perfect sense either, of course, since that still doesn’t explain how the characters are able to, well, change their shape and printed appearance despite being a piece of cut out paper, but it makes more sense, at least.

I demand anyone who hates the white borders get out a pair of scissors RIGHT NOW and try to cut out Mario perfectly. If you leave any white spaces at all then my lawyers will be in touch.

I demand anyone who hates the white borders get out a pair of scissors RIGHT NOW and try to cut out Mario perfectly. If you leave any white spaces at all then my lawyers will be in touch.
Paper Mario fan, when Paper Mario looks like paper.
walter-punch.gif

I'm safe.
My parents made sure to teach me from a young age to never leave much if any white outline around Paper when cutting it. 😊
It's a tradition passed down in my family for generations, never to leave ugly outlines.

I don't have strong feelings about the diminishment of that difference. If I wanted to be just as fickle about the sprites as others are, I'd say I was never a big fan of how most post-PM64 games de-emphasized the feeling of Mario's sprite being drawn as if it was a whole body as opposed to animating the body parts as if it were a Flash cartoon.

But the TTYD sprites look good. The TOK sprites look good too. Compromises don't matter to me because not once has this series and its way of depicting characters looked bad (well maybe except SPM and its Photoshop intern NPCs and original enemies).
The only games that followed the style you’re talking about are Super Paper Mario and TTYD. Most of them since then have been the choppy animation style.

Well, Sticker Star was kind of an in between. There was a few animations (like Mario peeling stickers) that used the “paper-puppet” kind of approach. But it was largely stop motion based.

By Color Splash, all of the sprites were drawn on one image. No more individual limbs.

If that screenshot is anything to go by, seems like this remake was going to follow the Color Splash style, but something changed in development

The only games that followed the style you’re talking about are Super Paper Mario and TTYD. Most of them since then have been the choppy animation style.

Well, Sticker Star was kind of an in between. There was a few animations (like Mario peeling stickers) that used the “paper-puppet” kind of approach. But it was largely stop motion based.

By Color Splash, all of the sprites were drawn on one image. No more individual limbs.

If that screenshot is anything to go by, seems like this remake was going to follow the Color Splash style, but something changed in development
That might have just been an effect of the game being built in TOK's engine. A lot of early assets might have borrowed from TOK.

Just finished the first chapter today! (downloaded using my Japanese Nintendo account) God, I still can't believe I can do my second playthrough on an official remake of my favorite childhood game! I might start up the second chapter later today, but it's def not my favorite chapter to go through tbh.

k8zgmzfab3g61.jpg

Judging from that gallery image, it’s very interesting to think this very old concept image is what the remake could have ended up looking like at one point

k8zgmzfab3g61.jpg

Judging from that gallery image, it’s very interesting to think this very old concept image is what the remake could have ended up looking like at one point
Ngl, this looks pretty bad, I’m quite thankful with the new style, since I think it’s really faithful and also visually pleasing.

Going to remind everyone that overall series discourse is not allowed in this thread.

i'm assuming this will unlock normal nintendo digital preorder time? looking forward to not getting any sleep.

whoops, didnt notice the posts above.

Was reading some older reviews of the original game, and kind of almost forgot that Greg Kasavin (Creator of Hades) reviewed TTYD in 2004 for Gamespot. Cool little time capsule of a video.

He knew what's up. Praised the combat system and how realized the world is and the excellent writing. . And yeah really only gripe was with the backtracking in late game. Still gave it over a 9.0 which Gamespot rarely did back in the early 2000s and 10 were practically never given out on the site back then.

Was reading some older reviews of the original game, and kind of almost forgot that Greg Kasavin (Creator of Hades) reviewed TTYD in 2004 for Gamespot. Cool little time capsule of a video.

He knew what's up. Praised the combat system and how realized the world is and the excellent writing. . And yeah really only gripe was with the backtracking in late game. Still gave it over a 9.0 which Gamespot rarely did back in the early 2000s and 10 were practically never given out on the site back then.

Eh. This has nothing to do with TTYD, but Kasavin was a clown that used his position to secretly enter and cheat to win two GS forum contests way back when.

Please refrain from derailing, tangential comments. Reminder that it is better to report rather than engage in hostility with another member. - meatbag, BassForever, Zellia, big lantern ghost, MissingNo
You are right about one thing for sure. Your post has nothing to do with TTYD.
I'm also right about the rest of it. Greg Kasavin was a cheater that played the forum community of the site where he served as EIC. Twice.

A rather impressive record.

For continuing to be hostile across multiple posts, after being warned and thread banned from the review thread for similar behavior, you have been permanently thread banned - ngpdrew, BassForever, IsisStormDragon, meatbag
I'm also right about the rest of it. Greg Kasavin was a cheater that played the forum community of the site where he served as EIC. Twice.

A rather impressive record.
Sure....You are free to keep telling yourself that. However if you told me the sky was blue I would still have to double check, no offense.

Anyway TTYD was great good on Greg for recognizing quality. No wonder Hades is so good. Real talent behind that game. 🍻

This is probably one of the most controversial Mario game I’ve seen in a while.

Seems like the Paper Mario curse still live nice and strong.

This is probably one of the most controversial Mario game I’ve seen in a while.

Seems like the Paper Mario curse still live nice and strong.
Honestly, there's nothing controversial about it unless you're a weirdo that screams woke because Vivian is trans.

Back
Top Bottom