• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

3>6>5>8>7>1>2>4

PM devs really have trouble with the number 4. Worst numbered chapter in both TTYD and the original imo. I might even say in SPM too.
I can see 4 not being great on a gameplay front (Creepy Steeple is on the lower end of the dungeons though still good and the overworld sections are some of the worse ones) but the incredible vibes and story in that chapter really elevate it for me

I can see 4 not being great on a gameplay front (Creepy Steeple is on the lower end of the dungeons though still good and the overworld sections are some of the worse ones) but the incredible vibes and story in that chapter really elevate it for me
Oh yeah I agree with the vibes being great, I just never have much fun revisiting it on replays but it is a very memorable chapter still.

Yeah best partner, gorgeous art-wise, and the quirky body snatching/identity theft story make 4 a top 3 for me.
3>6>5>8>7>1>2>4

PM devs really have trouble with the number 4. Worst numbered chapter in both TTYD and the original imo. I might even say in SPM too.
On the flip side I’d say they’re amazing with the number 3 lol. Chapter 3 is my favorite chapter in PM64, TTYD and SPM. Hell it even carries over to the new games. World 3 is my favorite of Sticker Star, and Scorching Sandpaper Desert is my favorite in Origami King (can’t remember color splash’s)

4 is pretty firmly my favorite, entirely because of vibes. I’d go:

4>3>8>6>1>7>5>2

Apparently some datamined credits confirm that the director of the first 3 Paper Mario games, Ryota Kawade, is credited as a supervisor for this game! Which could be a pretty nothing role but still nice to see considering he's not been credited on a game in almost a decade. More talk on that in the Nintendo First Party development thread. Also no Kensuke Tanabe in the credits, interestingly

Going by TCRF's page it actually looks like it was mariost; the GogoS project name was already found in screenshot metadata when the remake was announced though
On that same page they expand on things. Gogo is from... Sticker Star, a pun originally, where "go-go" is Japanese for 'Afternoon', so, "PM", Paper Mario.

Funny, since TTYD was originally "mariost" as you said, for Mario Story... Which was the name of Paper Mario 64 in Japan, which had the name Super Mario RPG 64.

TCRF lists TTYD Switch's codename as GogoS_Dodgeball and speculates that "Dodgeball" refers to dodging criticism.

Despite this, because Origami King was "RockG", TTYD Switch is the only game with the internal name "GogoS", dodgeball or no dodgeball. Huh.

Apparently some datamined credits confirm that the director of the first 3 Paper Mario games, Ryota Kawade, is credited as a supervisor for this game! Which could be a pretty nothing role but still nice to see considering he's not been credited on a game in almost a decade. More talk on that in the Nintendo First Party development thread. Also no Kensuke Tanabe in the credits, interestingly
oh boy I wonder how the reaction to this will go...

and goddamit eurogamer portugal...

I feel like this thread's subtitle is a bit too much of a spoiler for a newcomer but at the same time they have zero context for it so eh.

Also Vivian discourse in other places is the trash-fire you'd expect it to be. I have somewhat complicated thoughts on English localisations of nerd media from Japan, but this is such a blatant case of bringing things closer to the original intent/script that I think it's telling where people who're angry about this are really coming from lmao.

Hey, great ot! I’m going to dig into hellblade 2 today and tomorrow, but this will be a nice reprieve from the drearyness and heavy content of that game

oh boy I wonder how the reaction to this will go...

and goddamit eurogamer portugal...
I always said that there's going to be a few reviewers that's really going to be put off by the constant backtracking, most particular newcomers. And that reviewer was a newcomer. Not to say all newcomers will bitter/sour on the game mind you, but still.

Last edited:
Tanabe is probably busy with Prime 4 right now, most of the usual producer suspects are still there and one of the new additions (Shinya Saito) has a history of working on the recent slew of Switch remakes like Super Mario RPG, Another Code, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Tanabe is probably busy with Prime 4 right now, most of the usual producer suspects are still there and one of the new additions (Shinya Saito) has a history of working on the recent slew of Switch remakes like Super Mario RPG, Another Code, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
So Prime 4 will be filled with Toads?

I feel like this thread's subtitle is a bit too much of a spoiler for a newcomer but at the same time they have zero context for it so eh.

Also Vivian discourse in other places is the trash-fire you'd expect it to be. I have somewhat complicated thoughts on English localisations of nerd media from Japan, but this is such a blatant case of bringing things closer to the original intent/script that I think it's telling where people who're angry about this are really coming from lmao.
I've played TTYD 3x times and watched it played by others twice, and it took me a moment to understand what the subtitle was referencing. You only even find out about the thing in question on a replay.

I don't remember the chapters well enough to rank them all(or even entirely which one is which number) but my favorite was the tournament one(3 I think?) and I also remember liking the train one(no idea what number that one was)

the tree one I didn't really care for(2 I think?)

It's also confirmed that the script was changed in the Japanese version of the remake.

6 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 7 > 1 > 2

6 and 3 are the big concept/genre parody focused scenarios that made me love Paper Mario. The parts of the game that really run with the possibility of what Paper Mario, specifically, can offer.

I don’t know if I can rank all of the chapters, but chapter 4 is my absolute favorite. Adore it start to finish, the setting is so cool, and my favorite party member joins then. I also really like chapter 3 and whatever the train chapter is. Also a big fan of Flavio’s section of the game because of the glitch that lets you have him in your party permanently where he’ll then photobomb every cutscene in the game lol. Hope you can still do it in the remake, but I imagine the new pipe change prevents it.

Also awesome ST WestEgg!

I look forward to solving mysteries with my dear Luigi when I pick up this game sometime this month/next month.

Some things i've picked up on while digging around the files.
  • I checked the Vivian line in every single language; most of them are identical to the English line, the other Asian languages are identical to the Japanese line posted above; all very explicit about her trans idenity. No doubts here.
  • The music is SO GOOD. As expected I love the unique battle themes for every chapter, Chapter 6 and 7 are my favourites. Find it assuming that they actually rearranged both the Japanese and International title screen themes; hadn't heard the former in any footage so I assumed they standardized it.
The rest are spoilers for new additions, whoops!
  • Like the modern Paper Mario games, TTYD now as some achievements in the form of "trophies"; three, for all tattles, all badges and all recepies. When you get them all something appears in the Rogueport plaza, i'm not sure what.
    • EDIT: I believe I found it. There's a new emblem badge, the Gold Emblem, and it makes Mario, well, gold. That'd make sense as a completion reward.
  • The two new post-game bosses are in fact Prince Mush and Whacka. The former at Glitzville as expected, and the latter in the Pit of 100 Trials. They both have unique new music (Bonetail has a unique theme now as well), and seem to be the new toughest fights in the game?
  • The gamer Toad kid in Petalburg has a new line referencing Super Paper Mario, lol. EDIT: I was mistake on this actually; the line is slightly reworded from how it was in the original (which threw me off), but it did exist in some form already.
  • Doesn't seem like the other 64 partner cameos have been readded unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • I checked the Vivian line in every single language; most of them are identical to the English line, the other Asian languages are identical to the Japanese line posted above; all very explicit about her trans idenity. No doubts here.
  • The music is SO GOOD. As expected I love the unique battle themes for every chapter, Chapter 6 and 7 are my favourites.
  • Like the modern Paper Mario games, TTYD now as some achievements in the form of "trophies"; three, for all tattles, all badges and all recepies. When you get them all something appears in the Rogueport plaza, i'm not sure what.
  • The two new post-game bosses are in fact Prince Mush and Whacka. The former at Glitzville as expected, and the latter in the Pit of 100 Trials. They both have unique new music (Bonetail has a unique theme now as well), and seem to be the new toughest fights in the game?
  • The gamer Toad kid in Petalburg has a new line referencing Super Paper Mario, lol.
  • Doesn't seem like the other 64 partner cameos have been readded unfortunately.
wait what happens if you miss a boss tattle, are you just screwed?

• The music is SO GOOD. As expected I love the unique battle themes for every chapter, Chapter 6 and 7 are my favourites.
  • The gamer Toad kid in Petalburg has a new line referencing Super Paper Mario, lol.
I know the toad kid referenced a generic future game in the original, but a direct Super Paper Mario reference still strikes me as a pretty strong hint that we could see it as the next remake.

Is it about time to make a spoiler thread considering people are sleuthing through the files?

I know the toad kid referenced a generic future game in the original, but a direct Super Paper Mario reference still strikes me as a pretty strong hint that we could see it as the next remake.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Super Paper Mario remake

i've never played it and am not crazy about it's combat changes but aside from that it does sound like it has the "soul" of the older stuff for lack of a better term, i'd certainly be willing to at least try it out with an open mind based on what i've heard about it

Intelligent Systems hinting at a Super Paper Mario remake is pretty interesting, given that it's rumored that the game caused the new mandates to begin with. I really want it to happen though.

Are you able to tell if Gloomtail and the second Shadow Sirens fight have unique music?

Figured they would try to weave the Doopliss motif into the latter, for example

I only played once in 2004 so I can’t tell you much about the chapters other than to say that I think I’m with the consensus?

Is 3 Rawk Hawk?

Intelligent Systems hinting at a Super Paper Mario remake is pretty interesting, given that it's rumored that the game caused the new mandates to begin with. I really want it to happen though.

i've never played it and am not crazy about it's combat changes but aside from that it does sound like it has the "soul" of the older stuff for lack of a better term, i'd certainly be willing to at least try it out with an open mind based on what i've heard about it
If anything, Super’s OST deserves the same once-over TTYD’s is getting. That game’s got an incredibly underrated soundtrack

I really don't think it'll be a remake, the artstyle doesn't need any updates at all due to the purposeful simplicity. It'll be a basic remaster. Maybe a 2026 game?
Agreed. That would be just fine.

On-topic: can’t wait to experience the remixes in-game. The trailer music I didn’t quite love but everything else I’ve heard has been great. Just about 24 hours exactly now, gonna be a long day at work.

Question if anyone knows about this regarding the Nostalgic Tunes Badge:

Do the quiet moments from before stay quiet instead of using the new tracks when this is equipped? I'm curious if these moments would be filled in with the brand new tracks regardless since they aren't remixes.

I really don't think it'll be a remake, the artstyle doesn't need any updates at all due to the purposeful simplicity. It'll be a basic remaster. Maybe a 2026 game?
Maybe they'll do a basic remaster, but I'm leaning towards a full remake just like TTYD.

As someone who’s played this game upwards of 10 times, can someone please spell out the thread title reference to me? In a spoiler if needed.

I only played the game once 20 years ago so this is just a guess but I assume it's a reference to the missing letter after Mario gets his name stolen or whatever that was with the ghost

As someone who’s played this game upwards of 10 times, can someone please spell out the thread title reference to me? In a spoiler if needed.
The missing letter in Re_rinted is a "p", just like the missing letter you find in order to spell Doopliss' name and break the curse before the Chapter 4 boss fight in Creepy Steeple

EDIT: beaten by 5 seconds lol

The missing letter in Re_rinted is a "p", just like the missing letter you find in order to spell Dooplis' name and break the curse before the Chapter 4 boss fight in Creepy Steeple

EDIT: beaten by 5 seconds lol

sounds like my answer was slightly wrong anyways even though I was on the right track

funny little mandela effect moment for me, I actually remember it as there being a missing M that you needed to find to spell Mario but I guess i'm just remembering it wrong

Wow that’s insanely good lol.
I do not understand how people dislike this remade OST just because it sounds like Origami King.
This is quite a synthetic approach actually
I'm not saying there aren't any who dislike the remixed OST, but those that genuinely do are few and far between. Almost everybody else love what they've been hearing so far.

Doesn't seem like the other 64 partner cameos have been readded unfortunately.
Gonna be my usual stick in the mud self regarding leftover content and suggest that "readded" probably isn't the right word to begin with. Bow and Parakarry have very simple cameos; I doubt anything more extravagant was ever planned for the others.

The most likely reason those sprites exist imo is because they decided to do them all at once, and just never game up with a good excuse to put in any of the rest. There never was a real plan for them.

It wasn't quite a generic future game, it was "Paper Luigi". Most fans interpreted this as a sign that we'd actually get a Waffle Kingdom game at the time lol.

Here's a weird one. It looks like the battle conditions in the Glitz Pit have been changed slightly.
Added:
  • Use a partner skill at least two times.

Removed:
  • Win after your HP drops to 5!

Last edited:

SPM is different in terms of gameplay but it definitely has the soul of TTYD, I'd say those two are the closest in terms of vibe, I'd even say that the first PM is a bit more basic in terms of story/vibe, it's TTYD where PM really started its unique identity.

Here's a weird one. It looks like the battle conditions in the Glitz Pit have been changed slightly.
Added:
  • Use a partner skill at least two times.

Removed:
  • Appeal to the crowd at least once.
  • Take damage from your opponent three times!
  • Win after your HP drops to 5!
Are you sure this is accurate? Because it seems like that first bullet point in particular is still there in the remake as far as with the Pokie trio from preview footage that I've seen a few weeks ago.

Quoted by: Axe

Back
Top Bottom