• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

Are you sure this is accurate? Because it seems like that first bullet point in particular is still there in the remake as far as with the Pokie trio from preview footage that I've seen a few weeks ago.
I double-checked, and you're right. The dialogue was separated from others so I got it wrong. It looks like they've just changed the 5 HP one to a partner skill one.

EDIT: Other random discoveries:

• Atomic Boo was not corrected to Big Boo.
  • Charlieton only appears to have been added to Boggly Woods and no other additional locations.
  • Rawk Hawk's title was changed from "The Feral Nuclear Reactor" to "The Golden Grandstander"
  • Riverside Station interior has music (different to the unused track in the original game)

In-game descriptions for new content:

The Returning Royal
Prince Mush

(Battle) The original champ of the Glitz Pit and a squeaky-clean fighter. He was gone for a long time, but he's still super strong! If his stance changes, he's about to use a different battle style, so watch out! Outside the ring, he's Jolene's li'l brother...Mush. Just...Mush.

(Field) That's Prince Mush, he's Jolene's younger brother. Poor guy's been through a lot, so it's great that he's able to return to the ring like this. He's all set for the Exhibition Match. I bet he's a tough opponent, so be ready for a doozy of a fight!

Whacka
(Battle) A mysterious creature from parts unknown who now resides in the depths below Rogueport. He'll drop Whacka Bumps when he's attacked and use them to retaliate. After all those whacks to his noggin, this popular target is finally whacking back!

(Field) That's a rare Whacka, I don't think you see many of his kind anymore, nope. If you whack a Whacka, they drop a Whacka Bump. You can either eat those or sell them for a high price. You did hear me when I said these critters are rare, right? Just checking. Because that means you should NOT whack them. You do understand that right, Mario?

Nostalgic Tunes
Changes the background music to the original Nintendo GameCube tracks.

Gold Medal
Makes Mario look shiny and golden.

Prince Mush's Belt
A belt matching Prince Mush's and a sign of his friendship.

Last edited:
Super Paper Mario sucks so I hope we're not getting that one.

I'm choosing to believe that the new Toad dialogue is hinting at the next Paper Mario. I doubt the next Paper Mario will be another remake anyway so it seems weird to hint at that. Paper Mario & Luigi would be a pretty novel thing for them to do, Luigi was ostensibly a tritagonist of sorts already in Origami King.

Last edited:
Wow, so TTYD is using the Origami King engine?! 😳

Could this mean that this is the engine they’ll use perpetually to both develop new games AND remakes?

And yeah, we’re getting a Super remake. Yes, the game can just be HD Remasterized, but the same can be said about TTYD, and here we are

Wow, so TTYD is using the Origami King engine?! 😳

Could this mean that this is the engine they’ll use perpetually to both develop new games AND remakes?

And yeah, we’re getting a Super remake. Yes, the game can just be HD Remasterized, but the same can be said about TTYD, and here we are
this is interesting because imo this remake looks much better than Origami King. I think Color Splash and TTYD Switch are the best looking Paper Mario games.

I presume it’s because the scope is much smaller. Origami is kinda open-world ish, while TTYD is a game with source material already available and much more limited, so they could prioritize graphics
TOK was 60 fps correct? TTYDR being 30 also helps them to push the graphics.

Edit: Corrected below

Last edited:
this is interesting because imo this remake looks much better than Origami King. I think Color Splash and TTYD Switch are the best looking Paper Mario games.

The geometry and world design and such is far simpler, being designed for a GameCube and it's few megabytes of ram. Means a remake can do a ton of bells and whistles graphically because there's already extremely restrictive world design. Same as prime, the only way prime 4 looks as good in still screenshots as 1 remaster is if they do a very poor job of utilising 2 decades of hardware upgrades. Because the geometry and enemy behaviours and stuff like that in prime 1 are so basic, there's huge amounts of unused resources that can go on textures or whatever.

I read a random post on some other forum saying that the great news about Vivian aren't reflected in the French version of the remake, I hope that's not true!
If anyone could confirm it o_O

French (Europe):
"Non, vraiment, Ne t'inquiète pas
pour moi. De toute façon, avec mes sœurs,
rien ne va jamais bien... On ne
s'entend pas. Il m'a fallu du temps pour réaliser
que j'étais leur sœur... et non
leur frère. Alors maintenant, leur railleries me
blessent encore plus qu'avant. Et puis tu as été si gentil ! J'aimerais
te rendre la pareille."

French (Canada):
Non, vraiment! Ne t'inquiète pas
pour moi...Je ne suis plus très sûre de vouloir
rester avec mes sœurs de toute façon.
Je ne suis pas heureuse avec elles. Tu sais, il m'a fallu du temps pour
réaliser que j'étais leur sœur...
et non leur frère. Alors maintenant, leurs moqueries
habituelles me pèsent encore plus
qu'avant. Et puis, tu as été si gentil avec moi,
je veux te rendre la pareille. C'est la
meilleure chose à faire!

I've checked this line in every language; she is unambiguously trans in all of them.

I read a random post on some other forum saying that the great news about Vivian aren't reflected in the French version of the remake, I hope that's not true!
I saw someone on Twitter claiming that, but they jumped to conclusions. It was based on one line from Beldam which sounded a bit more ambiguous in chapter 2.

I've checked this line in every language; she is unambiguously trans in all of them.

And here i was wasting 20 minutes trying to find german reviews in order to find out if the german version has this corrected, too, after i wrongly remembered about the og german translation.

I also read this through Twitter yesterday. Although I had a feeling that person wasn't being entirely truthful there since he/they/she was referencing that scene when the party first encounters the Three Shadows in Boggly Woods before their battle and nothing else without further context.

French (Europe):

French (Canada):

But then how can I get upset at the localization devils if they're all accurate Mondo 🗿

Thanks for doing that, it's nice to know Nintendo just embraced trans Vivian globally without any asterisks.

God, all the different battle theme arrangements are absolutely incredible! They really fit the vibes and I love to which degree they get to stray from the original while still having the memorable sections. Feels like they went even freer than Origami King!

In-game descriptions for new content:

The Returning Royal
Prince Mush

(Battle) The original champ of the Glitz Pit and a squeaky-clean fighter. He was gone for a long time, but he's still super strong! If his stance changes, he's about to use a different battle style, so watch out! Outside the ring, he's Jolene's li'l brother...Mush. Just...Mush.

(Field) That's Prince Mush, he's Jolene's younger brother. Poor guy's been through a lot, so it's great that he's able to return to the ring like this. He's all set for the Exhibition Match. I bet he's a tough opponent, so be ready for a doozy of a fight!

Whacka
(Battle) A mysterious creature from parts unknown who now resides in the depths below Rogueport. He'll drop Whacka Bumps when he's attacked and use them to retaliate. After all those whacks to his noggin, this popular target is finally whacking back!

(Field) That's a rare Whacka, I don't think you see many of his kind anymore, nope. If you whack a Whacka, they drop a Whacka Bump. You can either eat those or sell them for a high price. You did hear me when I said these critters are rare, right? Just checking. Because that means you should NOT whack them. You do understand that right, Mario?

Nostalgic Tunes
Changes the background music to the original Nintendo GameCube tracks.

Gold Medal
Makes Mario look shiny and golden.

Prince Mush's Belt
A belt matching Prince Mush's and a sign of his friendship.

Some images of these:

2csOddC.png
Tattle: That's a Whacka. They're pretty rare, but you can also find them hiding in Keelhaul Key. He's got a Max HP of [], an Attack of [], and a Defense of []. I never expected to run into one of these guys all the way down here! When he's attacked, he'll drop a Whacka Bump. Then he'll use that bump for a powerful attack of his own. That means we should try to use as few attacks as possible to keep him from dropping those Whacka Bumps! Seriously, I never expected to fight a Whacka. It's so hard to tell what they're thinking... I bet he gets real scary when he's mad...but I hope we don't find out.
bvz05E9.png

Tattle: That's Prince Mush, the original champion of the Glitz Pit! He's finally making his comeback! He's got a Max HP of [], an Attack of [], and a Defense of []. You'd never guess that he was kept away from fighting for such a long time. He's still a powerhouse! He's known for being a clean fighter, so he'll come straight at you without relying on dirty tricks. He's also known to switch between different battle styles. Just keep an eye on his stance! When he changes it up, we'll have to think fast and come up with a goodnattack method. And if you're not sure you'll come out on top, try to rely on Superguards! Also, I've heard he's not a fan of cake. What's the story there, hm? Some cake-based trauma in his past? Whatever. If you can manage to beat this guy, you'll become the true, unrivaled champion!

x6x6Jfs.png
az1LgGx.png
wB8qHsz.png
5oB2Szo.png

Bul8RoY.png
Rr7sJo7.png
2XfxLFQ.png
E7wN6FM.png

Descriptions for the other new items above that weren't listed in the prior post:

Gold Whacka Bump
A shiny Whacka Bump obtained from Whacka. It sadly(?) cannot be eaten.

Cooking Trophy
A trophy given only to those who have collected every recipe.

Badge Trophy
A trophy given only to those who have collected all the badges.

Tattle Trophy
A trophy given only to those who have collected info on every enemy.

The red Whacka Bump icon is something labelled 'tankobu_strong' (the other two are tankobu and tankobu_gold), but i'm not sure it's actaully available as an item in the final game as I see no associated text. Maybe it's what Whacka uses as an attack in the battle?

Also, the difference is very slight, but the Gold Medal does still mix with the other emblem badges (or regular Mario), lol.

EN2viaw.png
NI2heAN.png
dfi3CaE.png
cyJuwMu.png

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thanks to the staff (and WestEgg, especially) for creating this thread! The staff post is so cool!

Chapter 6 and 7 have the best battle theme variants, though I like all of them. I think 5 has the weakest one, but its still good

Thanks all for the confirmation! Can't wait to play this wonderful remake, I even hesitated to double dip and buy it digital with a voucher as my physical copy won't come before next week 🍪

Pretty disappointing tbh, which is why I will be sitting this one out. And yeah, even just watching the video side by side with the original the motion clarity between 60FPS and 30FPS is night and day. Can't really go to 30FPS for this title.

Would have loved to have seen this game be a Switch 2 release instead, but i can hope for an upgrade down the line. If it does i will buy it immediately.

Do we have any confirmation on the difficulty of the added boss fights? Hope they're toughies

Also, I played the original but don't know - is Bonetail very hard too? Are there are any other postgame bosses from the OG?

Do we have any confirmation on the difficulty of the added boss fights? Hope they're toughies

Also, I played the original but don't know - is Bonetail very hard too? Are there are any other postgame bosses from the OG?
Just Bonetail (who technically isn’t postgame, just someone you’re most likely to fight towards the end of the game). Can’t say how hard they are though because as a kid I got to like level 80 in the Pit, left my GameCube on overnight, and then the disc spinner broke, whoops.

For new players though, I would definitely advise getting to level 50 in the Pit maybe about halfway through the game. As a reward, you get an item bag with double carrying capacity.

Last edited:
Huh, I'll have my copy in less than 24 hours. It's sort of creeped up on me.

Just loving the remastered and expanded soundtrack - and lots of the rather unnoteworthy tracks have been leveled up tremendously.

Just Bonetail (who technically isn’t postgame, just someone you’re most likely to fight towards the end of the game). Can’t say how hard they are though because as a kid I got to like level 80 in the Pit, left my GameCube on overnight, and then the disc spinner broke, whoops.

For new players though, I would definitely advise getting to level 50 in the Pit maybe about halfway through the game. As a reward, you get [cross]an item bag with double carrying capacity.[/cross]
Got it. Thanks for all that!

Gamestop actually appeared to ship me the game on time. I assumed I would be waiting until next week! I guess I'll never finish TLOU Part 2 now!

Man it took no time at all, apperantly there is a mod that works on regular old models of Switch even that restores the framerate back to 60FPS. :oops:

Game looks absolutely glorious running at this framerate even on this low bitrate video.

knew some were making stuff up when they said 30FPS was just a "byproduct of the new engine", as if any developer would design a new engine to not support above 30FPS. :cautious:

And this really supports what I’ve been saying that there is a hell of a lot more juice inside the Switch than people like to give it credit for.

Anyway, hope to god the devs didn’t just arbitrarily limit this game to 30FPS, just because the newer Paper Mario games are 30FPS. That would be unbelievably stupid. But at least with this mod out there it proves without a doubt that it's not an engine thing and that there is a road for Nintendo to patch this game for 60FPS officially. Sad that they would have to in the first place and this isn't that already but oh well, at least something can be done.

Man it took no time at all, apperantly there is a mod that works on regular old models of Switch even that restores the framerate back to 60FPS. :oops:

Game looks absolutely glorious running at this framerate even on this low bitrate video.

knew some were making stuff up when they said 30FPS was just a "byproduct of the new engine", as if any developer would design a new engine to not support above 30FPS. :cautious:

And this really supports what I’ve been saying that there is a hell of a lot more juice inside the Switch than people like to give it credit for.

Anyway, hope to god the devs didn’t just arbitrarily limit this game to 30FPS, just because the newer Paper Mario games are 30FPS. That would be unbelievably stupid. But at least with this mod out there it proves without a doubt that it's not an engine thing and that there is a road for Nintendo to patch this game for 60FPS officially. Sad that they would have to in the first place and this isn't that already but oh well, at least something can be done.

For context, it requires overclocking the Switch and using the handheld mode's lower resolution. Very cool though, I might use this

Still a dumb decision make the game 30 FPS. It's plain and simply prioritizing graphics over gameplay.

Mario_lying_down_after_getting_hurt.png

Yeah overclocking the switch while in portable mode, which is at a lower resolution, typically allows games to run at higher frame rates. The game has plenty of sections in docked mode that can't even hit 30fps due to all the action going on. They chose 30fps because an unstable 60 is worse.

Digital Foundry pointed out in their video that Super Mario RPG ran at 60 fps but often sank to near 30, I think a pre-release mod demo that "Fixes" the framerate can't be assumed to be the case for the full game, as even the Digital Foundry video asserts that a stable 30 fps may be preferable.

Yeah overclocking the switch while in portable mode, which is at a lower resolution, typically allows games to run at higher frame rates. The game has plenty of sections in docked mode that can't even hit 30fps due to all the action going on. They chose 30fps because an unstable 60 is worse.

Well my point is that there were some people pre release trying to convince me that the new engine was “incapable of running above 30FPS,” as if they had some insider knowledge about how the engine was made, and implying that the devs were locked in, when that's not the case at all.

This just means that Nintendo could patch this game for future hardware and i hope they do, without having to rebuild it from scratch.

Kinda funny, that in a span of a week we got two games who had controversies surrounding the games being 30fps.

Achieving 60 FPS without overclocking is not possible, so a patch would be only possible for Ounce.

You can also get BOTW to run at 4K60 by massively overclocking the switch, and it will only take some liquid nitrogen and being handy with a solder.

I can't believe Nintendo would rob us of that possibility like that!

Digital Foundry pointed out in their video that Super Mario RPG ran at 60 fps but often sank to near 30, I think a pre-release mod demo that "Fixes" the framerate can't be assumed to be the case for the full game, as even the Digital Foundry video asserts that a stable 30 fps may be preferable.
As is already stated, it's overclocked. It doesn't run at 60 with normal clocks. There's a discussion to be had over whether toning down some effects to hit 60 would've been worth it, but we kinda had that discussion a month ago and I think most people went with "no".

That said, I might bust out my launch Switch for this depending on how well it works. Neat that it's already running at 60 in some capacity.

You can also get BOTW to run at 4K60 by massively overclocking the switch, and it will only take some liquid nitrogen and being handy with a solder.

I can't believe Nintendo would rob us of that possibility like that!
I imagine the clock speeds needed to run BotW at 4K60 are well beyond the limitations of the Tegra X1, even with thermal constraints removed. Even with insane cooling keeping everything under control, you can only clock so high before it just gives out for other reasons. You'd also have to overclock or perhaps outright replace the RAM modules lol, there's a lot of barriers to running BotW at 4K60.

I imagine the clock speeds needed to run BotW at 4K60 are well beyond the limitations of the Tegra X1, even with thermal constraints removed. Even with insane cooling keeping everything under control, you can only clock so high before it just gives out for other reasons. You'd also have to overclock or perhaps outright replace the RAM modules lol, there's a lot of barriers to running BotW at 4K60.

I was only half in jest, mind you!

Back
Top Bottom