• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

Honestly, there's nothing controversial about it unless you're a weirdo that screams woke because Vivian is trans.
the game itself is perfectly fine, like the Vivian stuff and whatnot was extremely well received and that’s something I’m quite happy about, especially since we’ve gotten a lot of nice fan art of her.

I’m talking about the fps and graphics of the game, like despite the game being a faithful recreation, somehow it’s still controversial with 30fps vs 60fps, some places are absolutely heated over it.

Like I would personally prefer 60fps, but, thats pretty much the developers choice in the end of the day.

Many reviewers mentioned something about an auto-save function. Will this affect the Pit of 100 trials at all?

At present, you can safely leave every 10 floors but you will have to restart, or you push your luck and lose everything.

I don't really have much of a connection to Paper Mario (and probably won't get this game) but I'm really glad about them correcting the Vivian dialogue translations. It's great to see that Nintendo is getting better at this sort of stuff. Tomodachi Life not allowing gay relationships is shocking when you realise that game is only 11 years old. It's shocking that they even did that at all, to be honest.

Last edited:
I do wonder if it's gonna get review bombed
It’s 50/50.

It’s either because of the fps or because of Vivian.

But I don’t personally think so, mostly because how loyal the thousand year door fanbase are and we’ll somehow see a review gifting from fans, in the mindset

,,If Nintendo sees it getting good reviews, then they’ll return the paper Mario RPG formula’’x

the game itself is perfectly fine, like the Vivian stuff and whatnot was extremely well received and that’s something I’m quite happy about, especially since we’ve gotten a lot of nice fan art of her.

I’m talking about the fps and graphics of the game, like despite the game being a faithful recreation, somehow it’s still controversial with 30fps vs 60fps, some places are absolutely heated over it.

Like I would personally prefer 60fps, but, thats pretty much the developers choice in the end of the day.
Honestly, I've never had an issue with 30fps, but if someone thinks that's worth throwing a fit online or boycotting over, well, that's up to them, but I'd say it's their loss.

Meh we can just stop focusing on the random internet opinions and clickbait. I've seen tons of celebration over this game.

PLUS some good news, apparently the game has 4k resolution support in its code! + don't forget the colored buttons.

Also very happy about the postgame additions (2 new storied bosses apparently)

it's mostly the purple site and people on Twitter who weren't even going to buy the game that are making a big deal out of it.

it'll mostly stop about a week or 2 after release like every Nintendo every Nintendo release this generation that has had a "30fps controversy"

EDIT: or the people who pirate every game they can but make a big deal on Twitter that they pirate Nintendo games to act like there taking some moral high ground but it's actually just to get free internet clout

So excited maybe my favorite rpg ever. But I also hope Super gets this treatment eventually as well. It's not as good but still pretty incredible imo, has the charm of the first two games at the very least.

I’m so fucking excited… should I download it digitally to play at midnight and then keep my physical copy sealed? I don’t know…

Edit: Not doing it. I’ve waited plenty of months already, what’s another 12 hours?

Last edited:
I beat Gus on the very first encounter, still got that Superguard muscle memory. It was close though, was down to 1 HP. Thankfully he wasted turns attacking Goombella.

Such a fantastic remake so far. One small thing that stuck out to me and that's the Nintendo logo at the beginning. I think this is the first time a Nintendo logo showed up during the game's boot-up, superimposed on the red background no less! I quite like it.

Damn this might be the first time I got the Thwomp quiz wrong in Chapter 1. Superguard saved the day again against the Clefts it summoned though.

Played up to the start of Hooktail Castle! It's wonderful playing this again... it's so pretty looking now too!

I love how there's mellowed out variations of fight themes for when you idle on your turn for a bit

This is so blessed man, what an amazing remake. I love this so much.

Last edited:
Played up to the start of Hooktail Castle! It's wonderful playing this again... it's so pretty looking now too!
Yeah, just got there too. The visual and music revamp breathe a ton of new life into the game, it’s crazy.

A couple of small things I noticed:

• NPCs have a hurt animation when you hit them with a hammer.
  • If you press up against the area border, Mario tries to stop himself from falling into the void.

I'm still just stunned, flabbergasted even, that this exists and that I went into a store today and bought a TTYD Remake. And playing it now, it's so amazing and satisfying to see one of my favourite games get such a glow up; so much care and effort being put into reaching modern production levels while maintaining the spirit of the original.

Also the Rogueport Shop theme is fire. And Professor Frankly's theme is unhinged and exactly the right vibes.

Super jealous of everyone playing… my local GameStop doesn’t open for another four hours! GAH

So the ROM leaked…I thought the lack of online sales was to prevent this…

Obviously it was stock issues or corporate fighting for that.

Is that why Amazon (Germany) hasn't shipped my copy yet or what? Ok, to be fair, i only ordered it yesterday past 4.30 p.m. ... so i didn't expect it to be shipped that day and arrive today, but it currently says "estimated arrival saturday".

Only had enough time between waking up and getting ready for work to just see the opening. Looking forward to getting into this after work!

Free physical bonuses with Nintendo releases always take me by surprise. This time it's a sticker sheet and five actual paper Marios with instructions on how to fold them into paper planes??? Also my first Nintendo Thursday release, which was a surprise too.

Anyway, not sure when I'll be able to make a start with this one so I hope the thread has a great time.

Happy launch day, friends

3wboBXG.gif

I'm only in Chapter 1, but god this is a bloody fantastic game and a brilliant remake. Nintendo have been doing such a great job with their remakes/remasters. Aside from the huge upgrade in presentation (that maintains the original intent) it doesn't change anything major and leaves everything that was special about it, but makes a heap of little changes and flourishes that just make sense and only add to the experience. E.g. just making the default item limit 15 instead of 10
(and I assume 30 with the upgrade)
is so nice. Including the OG Soundtrack as an option. The art gallery and sound gallery. New music nails it so far too.

I am also weirdly loving the menu a lot. Like this is one fine menu - the visual style, animations, layout, audio feedback, it's nice and detailed - chef's kiss. But perhaps I'm just gushing due to being over-excited about this remake and also drinking a glass of red atm (ahem, I mean chuckola cola).

Is that why Amazon (Germany) hasn't shipped my copy yet or what? Ok, to be fair, i only ordered it yesterday past 4.30 p.m. ... so i didn't expect it to be shipped that day and arrive today, but it currently says "estimated arrival saturday".

My Amazon germany order says the same, and I put in the order quite a while ago (...and also that the preorder magnets will arrive Sunday, which, yeah, paper mario would be a bold game to violate German labour laws for)

The delivery person called me while I was at work, won't be able to play it today 😭
Can't wait for tomorrow, this is going to be a nice week end.

Have fun everyone who already have their copy !

In the prologue and had to set my controller down and just listen when Goombella’s new musical theme started playing. It fits her so well, and I’m really excited to hear what they have for the others.

Ah screw it. I kinda wanted to finish replaying the original on NSO first but the new release just has me itching to play my favourite Mario RPG again instead. Will be diving in tomorrow.

was up at 5am this morning and happened to check my email, glad I did because I saw that Best Buy once again couldn’t get my preorder in on time (second Nintendo release in a row), with no estimate for when it would be available. Luckily, Target had plenty of copies available to pick up in-store, so I’ll still be picking it up today, but that was almost a catastrophic way to start the morning 🙃

SPOILER_image.png

That’s the Origami King / Color Splash style.
(This is from the new art gallery)
image looks to be dead, could someone repost?

Back
Top Bottom