• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

I think there’s a typo in the soundtrack list for chapter 1, the second item is “Searching Pedal Meadows”.

Removing the ability to speed up text is a strange choice - especially because it's only true of text you haven't read before. If you talk to anyone a second time, you can speed it up, so this was an intentional design thing. It's rather annoying...

...but even stranger is the fact that they disabled scrolling back up through dialogue, if I'm not mistaken. At least, I can't find a button for it.

(Yes, I'm still nitpicking, but I'm only through the prologue lol; I generally find this part a bit boring anyway.)

There's definitely 4 Star Pieces in Hooktail Castle, right? Then why is the map telling me I've only got 80% of them? Just went back there and looked several times for each of them and... I can't get 100% on it, despite seemingly having all of them :mad:
There's one more you can't access with your current equipment. If you keep up with the trouble center, you'll come back here a few times later on, so it'd make sense to grab it then - though it is rather well hidden imo.

Was this theme ever in the original? I don't seem to ever recall this.

No. There's quite a bit of brand new music for this release.

The fact Mario and the partner do the guard/super guard animation even if you whiff the timing badly throws me off. It's the one "feature" of the remake I'd turn off if I could.
It's actually quite helpful for learning the timing. It's not there if you whiff badly, per se; it shows the frames the guard is active for, so if you see it and get hit, that specifically means you did it early. It's neat to have feedback for that now.

I hope this game is popular enough to get rogue port featured in one of the Mario movies, id love to see it with that hyper expensive looking detailed aesthetic.
gotta need those directors to play the game and like it for that. Which I guess may happen, given the remake putting the game into spotlight again.

Other than the text speed and the fact that the battle menus sometimes eat your inputs it feels like, two other minor nitpicks:
1. It feels like partners are way worse at following you in this version? I feel like they're always lagging way behind the second you get on uneven elevation.
2. I think the coin bonuses after boss fights are a completely pointless change that break the economy of the game for no reason. Guess it wouldn't be modern IntSys without doing something like that...

I would really like a patch to clean up some of those really minor QOL things, it makes the game feel a little less polished than the Gamecube version. I wonder if they actually had a decent amount of trouble adapting the TOK engine to work with this game's battle system. Either way, whether it be something that can be fixed on Switch or maybe even something where they could fix it in a patch that also adds 60fps to a Switch 2 version, that'd be my dream for this.

The new music and animations are fantastic so far, and other than the above it's pretty much a perfect new version of the game, having a great time with it.
? I'm getting like 1 or 2 coins after battle lol. Hardly feels broken. Do they increase later in the game or something

edit: oh you mean boss fights. I mean they aren't really frequent enough to be that broken are they?

Last edited:
Removing the ability to speed up text is a strange choice - especially because it's only true of text you haven't read before. If you talk to anyone a second time, you can speed it up, so this was an intentional design thing. It's rather annoying...

...but even stranger is the fact that they disabled scrolling back up through dialogue, if I'm not mistaken. At least, I can't find a button for it.

(Yes, I'm still nitpicking, but I'm only through the prologue lol; I generally find this part a bit boring anyway.)

There's one more you can't access with your current equipment. If you keep up with the trouble center, you'll come back here a few times later on, so it'd make sense to grab it then - though it is rather well hidden imo.

No. There's quite a bit of brand new music for this release.

It's actually quite helpful for learning the timing. It's not there if you whiff badly, per se; it shows the frames the guard is active for, so if you see it and get hit, that specifically means you did it early. It's neat to have feedback for that now.
I get what you're saying, I'm just talking about for myself personally. I'd prefer to not see it, or have some other indicator I was early. It being the same animation makes me think I got it, then I get smacked in the face for full damage.

I get what you're saying, I'm just talking about for myself personally. I'd prefer to not see it, or have some other indicator I was early. It being the same animation makes me think I got it, then I get smacked in the face for full damage.
I see. I'm usually late when I miss, so I generally don't see it lol.

Is it the same animation for guarding? Mario doesn't spin for the superguard whiff, so I don't get confused by that.

I see. I'm usually late when I miss, so I generally don't see it lol.

Is it the same animation for guarding? Mario doesn't spin for the superguard whiff, so I don't get confused by that.
Him moving at all is throwing me off, I'm also thrown off by the ability to hit everyone including your partners, and the ability to hammer up and down since you couldn't in the original. As I said before I've played or watch this game be played many times so all the changes throw me off. It's obviously better as you described, and I love most of the changes even if they weird me out, this is just my old man yelling at clouds.

I really hope that for the next game, whether it’s an RPG or adventure game, that they take notes from Origami King’s open & sprawling world design because TTYD’s (and 64’s) world design consists of “go left” or “go right” in hallway like structures. It’s most likely constraints of the original hardware but it’s a lot less interesting to explore in these games. Maybe I just need to keep playing but nothing here is as fun to explore as even Picnic Road/Overlook Mountain, the first major areas of TOK.

Also I think I might be getting Paper Mario burnout with this game after replaying TOK last fall and beating 64 in March. Feels like a retread of what I already did in 64, both from a gameplay perspective of its battle system and story perspective. Maybe I should have planned to play 64 earlier. Gonna keep pushing through but the game is having a hard time keeping my interest, sadly.

(Also what’s with every Mario RPG needing you to collect 7 stars?)

Other than the text speed and the fact that the battle menus sometimes eat your inputs it feels like, two other minor nitpicks:
1. It feels like partners are way worse at following you in this version? I feel like they're always lagging way behind the second you get on uneven elevation.
2. I think the coin bonuses after boss fights are a completely pointless change that break the economy of the game for no reason. Guess it wouldn't be modern IntSys without doing something like that...

I would really like a patch to clean up some of those really minor QOL things, it makes the game feel a little less polished than the Gamecube version. I wonder if they actually had a decent amount of trouble adapting the TOK engine to work with this game's battle system. Either way, whether it be something that can be fixed on Switch or maybe even something where they could fix it in a patch that also adds 60fps to a Switch 2 version, that'd be my dream for this.

The new music and animations are fantastic so far, and other than the above it's pretty much a perfect new version of the game, having a great time with it.
I was able to max out my investment with the docks rat after Chapter 1, so I’m pretty okay with the boss cash.

I’m going for completion in general, so I’m going to be spending a lot of money on badges and cooking ingredients. Felt a little weird letting Zess T cook the ultra shroom so early in the game, but I doubt my HP will break 30 this playthrough anyway so the difference between the 50 HP ultra shroom and 30 HP and extra FP shroom steak is essentially academic.

Just finished clearing out all available troubles, and might do some of the parlor games before finally starting Chapter 2. Definitely taking my time with this game so far.

So glad we finally get to revisit this! I got up to Hooktail's Castle last night. Loving the graphics and music. I think the text speed is fine, but an option to speed it up is never a bad thing. The battle UI definitely seems a bit slower, though.

First time player and I am just loving it so far.

I have been a... troubled fan of this series for a while. I entered at Super Paper Mario and was.... confused but delighted by my experience with it lol. That led me to the original on VC, and a day one sticker star purchase that I attempted to remain optimistic through but was rather shattered by. I skipped Color Splash, and adored TOK - regardless of it's (comparatively less experience shattering) faults.

Playing this game at long last, through the lens (engine, aesthetic choices) of a game I loved is a delight. I was initially disappointed slightly by the reduced scale of environment and lack of playful interactivity that made Origami King feel so "alive" – but those gaps were quickly filled by the unique strengths of this game in Character, Mechanics and customizability.

And performance etc. wise.... I'm definitely less bothered by due to the glory and shine of a game like this on the OLED.

Anyhow, long journey ahead... but I can't help but already daydream of what just might come next for this series.

I really hope that for the next game, whether it’s an RPG or adventure game, that they take notes from Origami King’s open & sprawling world design because TTYD’s (and 64’s) world design consists of “go left” or “go right” in hallway like structures. It’s most likely constraints of the original hardware but it’s a lot less interesting to explore in these games. Maybe I just need to keep playing but nothing here is as fun to explore as even Picnic Road/Overlook Mountain, the first major areas of TOK.

Also I think I might be getting Paper Mario burnout with this game after replaying TOK last fall and beating 64 in March. Feels like a retread of what I already did in 64, both from a gameplay perspective of its battle system and story perspective. Maybe I should have planned to play 64 earlier. Gonna keep pushing through but the game is having a hard time keeping my interest, sadly.

Next PM should be a mix of what makes both TTYD and Origami great

My copy is going to arrive in a bit, and I'm still debating whether I actually want to get started right away after having beaten SMRPG a mere couple of hours ago.

I think there’s a typo in the soundtrack list for chapter 1, the second item is “Searching Pedal Meadows”.
Yeah there are a few typos. One in chapter 5 dialogue also.

Do you know if recipes are something you have to figure out on your own completely? Other than the few you get in emails.

This is one of those games where you put it down and then an hour later you want to go back.

Last edited:
Playing TTYD as a child:

"Why would I waste on turn on using Tattle? Gombella's field ability doesn't do anything, no reason to ever bother with it"

Playing TTYD as an adult:

"GOOMBELLA, GIVE ME THE DIRT ON THAT UNNAMED KOOPA!!!! WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THIS RANDOM CORRIDOR IN THE SEWERS????!!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!! TATTLE EVERYTHING, FILL THAT LOG!!!! SOAK UP EVERY LAST DROP!!!!!!!"

As a kid I like never used Gombella at all after getting Koops. Here she might be like my main partner for a lot of the game since I'm gonna want her out a lot lol

What if...what if...

Monolithsoft / Intelligent Systems collab Paper Mario/new Mario RPG spinoff?

And performance etc. wise.... I'm definitely less bothered by due to the glory and shine of a game like this on the OLED.
I echo Digital Foundry's sentiment that the low framerate isn't as bothersome in handheld mode. This is a little strange since OLED displays have very fast response times, reducing motion blur, but I think it's just because things moving on the screen travel shorter physical distances since the screen is smaller, so things don't appear to be "jumping" as much.

What if...what if...

Monolithsoft / Intelligent Systems collab Paper Mario/new Mario RPG spinoff?
Honestly, I don’t even think they need MonolithSoft. I know people are very vocal on how much they hate modern Paper Mario but I still believe even if you don’t like the newer direction that you can see that the Paper Mario team over at IS is incredibly talented and passionate about this series. I think a new game without all of the creative shackles that the newer games suffered from would knock people socks off. Now would a new game be an RPG or an adventure game? Idk but I think they would be great at doing either.

I finished chapter 2, and it felt a bit weaker than chapter 1. The setting and the boss were much less interesting to me. I'm not saying it was bad, but it didn't reach the same highs as chapter 1.

Based on some takes I've read in this thread from people who have played TTYD before, it sounds like the best is yet to come. I just finished the latest trouble center quests and will hopefully continue on to chapter 3 soon!

As the original game’s OST will always be drilled into my head, it’s inevitable that I’ll have some gripes with the new OST (new Rogueport a bit busy, while on the other hand new Glitzville a bit subdued for my taste).

However I’ve gotta say across the board they’ve absolutely nailed it. I’ve loved all the variations on the battle theme and victory theme, and how they contribute to making each area even more distinct. The new segments in the chapter boss music have all been amazing. New partner themes all great.

That was by far my best experience with Boggly Woods (my typical least favorite area) and I’m sure it’s in no small part thanks to the visual and sonic makeover.

I do like how the character models are done. Almost looks a little like a diorama of sorts. Like the models really just pop especially when they zoom in for a convo.

I'll get my nitpicks out of the way: I don't like the remixed music, the new sound effects are bad–especially those of text bubbles–and the floor reflections (are they SSR?) are overblown and look wrong when almost nothing else reflects.

BUT, and this is important

The new emotes are life, best upgrade ever as far as I'm aware.

I'll get my nitpicks out of the way: I don't like the remixed music, the new sound effects are bad–especially those of text bubbles–and the floor reflections (are they SSR?) are overblown and look wrong when almost nothing else reflects.

What's wrong with the new music and sound effects?

I wonder how many people actually know that there's a badge that exists particularly to appease these people who prefer the original GameCube arrangements.

Reminds me of the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition music rearrangement debates. "Don't like the new reorchestrated music? There's a toggle for that..."

I wonder how many people actually know that there's a badge that exists particularly to appease these people who prefer the original GameCube arrangements.

Reminds me of the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition music rearrangement debates. "Don't like the new reorchestrated music? There's a toggle for that..."
Ah, that's neat. Can you get it early on? Just started the game last night.

Quoted by: SiG
Ah, that's neat. Can you get it early on? Just started the game last night.
It's been covered several times already...

Go to the Badge Shop after visiting The Thousand Year Door for the first time and acquiring your first badge. It's called the Nostalgic Tunes badge and is sold for 1 Gold coin and uses 0 BP. Equip it and use to activate.

Last edited:

Even though I prefer the remixed OST over the original, I'm definitely gonna use that Nostalgic Tunes badge throughout my second playthrough.

? I'm getting like 1 or 2 coins after battle lol. Hardly feels broken. Do they increase later in the game or something

edit: oh you mean boss fights. I mean they aren't really frequent enough to be that broken are they?
Boss fights and a couple other places. It feels like a really radical change tbh, but the more I sit with it the more I'm ok with it. They did make certain badges more expensive and in general it encourages you to buy more badges which is probably a good thing.

Also (spoilers for an item you get in the Pit of 100 trials in the OG game and in this version)
Seems kind of silly that the Strange Sack still gives you only 20 slots, given that you start with 15 now instead of 10. Was hoping for 25.

It's a replacement of his talking animation from the original, likely because his wave was unfortunately similar to a certain Nazi gesture (and subsequently removed from the European localization back then). Strangely, his mouth no longer opens for the thumbs up, so it's not always clear that he's supposed to be speaking when he does that.
It’s a somewhat nonsensical replacement, but the animation is very cute and when it does feel like it contradicts a scene I just find it funny, like Mario is being is very passive aggressive.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the new music. Rogueport is just a tad busy but still good. As for the new sounds...when I first met goombella I swear she sounded like a jinjo lol.

I'm enjoying the new music. Rogueport is just a tad busy but still good. As for the new sounds...when I first met goombella I swear she sounded like a jinjo lol.
It's cool that each character has its own pitch, but the squeaks are nonetheless annoying

The "voice acting" has grown on me but it is a shame that it seemingly has come at the cost of a speed up text option.

I played through TTYD exactly one time, at release 20 years ago, and it's weird how my memory has basically abandoned this entire game. It might as well be brand new to me. Don't even recognize any of the music.

This the first time you play it?
No, I owned it day 1 on GC and played it three times over the years. I've also watched my sister play it and watched a full let's play. Not even counting the various challenge run videos I've seen like only partners, level 0, prologue pit, etc.

Started this today. It looks very good and the new music is great! 30fps is completely fine. I didn't even really notice it at first when I didn't remember the whole thing.

My younger brother has taken a huge interest in the thousand year door.

Somehow that makes me happy that some kids are gonna play this game and be their first story based game, also letting them read through the game is a huge plus.

Funny that other people are also on or wrapping up chapter 3. I’m also there but is the whole chapter really just doing Glitz Pit matches over and over again? I got kinda bored and I’m playing something else in the meantime before I get back to it to break up the monotony.

Funny that other people are also on or wrapping up chapter 3. I’m also there but is the whole chapter really just doing Glitz Pit matches over and over again? I got kinda bored and I’m playing something else in the meantime before I get back to it to break up the monotony.
It's mostly matches, but some other stuff does happen as you get higher in the ranks

I also did chapter 3 last night and now I'm moving onto 4. Looking forward to finally adding Vivian.

Also a great touch is the title screen matches what color your Yoshi is.

I wonder if Nintendo was particularly against Alpha Dream or it's just that they've since softened - I'm surprised there's pretty much no characters tweaked in any way to match modern designs. Super Mario RPG was similar. Makes you wonder how a Superstar Saga remake would've gone if it came around now.

I wonder if Nintendo was particularly against Alpha Dream or it's just that they've since softened - I'm surprised there's pretty much no characters tweaked in any way to match modern designs. Super Mario RPG was similar. Makes you wonder how a Superstar Saga remake would've gone if it came around now.
I have to imagine the 1-2 punch of Mario + Rabbids and agreeing to do a Movie got Nintendo to ease up on whatever crazy restrictions they had put in place for Mario during the WiiU/3DS era

Remakes were never in danger of getting the NPC designs homogenized. There were only a couple instances of that happening in the Superstar Saga remake and people blew it out of proportion. like 90% or more of the weird original stuff was left alone.

Likewise, the Bowser’s Inside Story remake was completely untouched, Alphadream even somehow got permission to add a few new OCs for the Bowser Jr side story, so I dont know why anyone would expect TTYD would be any different.

The real question would be if Intelligent Systems could get permission to make a bunch of new OCs again instead of just using pre-existing ones in a remake. Im very skeptical of this, but feeling slightly hopeful

Back
Top Bottom