• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

AlphaDream felt like they got carte blanche on a lot of "weird" stuff even long after Paper Mario was seemingly denied the opportunity to do the same. Dream Team released a bit less than a year after Sticker Star and was chock full of original NPCs, enemies, and wacky-ass shit. Paper Jam seemed to be an exception to this, and that was probably because they tried to make the whole gimmick that there was a uniformity between M&L and Paper Mario.

If AlphaDream didn't close down I can't imagine they'd be held to some stricter standards, with the benefit of hindsight the reason the remakes had to cut down on some original designs was probably because of budget and economical asset reuse.

Last edited:
Was looking at footage of the Mush boss fight and he looks like something straight out of a romhack lol (I mean this in the best way possible)

There are some small emotional moments that I completely forgot about (after chapter 6)

I can't wait to see how this game sold. I must know.

Last edited:
I have completed chapter 3! It was a nice change of pace from the previous 2.

For a chapter that focuses more on combat, it has reminded me that combat in TTYD is not very demanding. I have used items pretty frequently because some can deal good damage, and also because you get new ones pretty often. Easy does not equal bad, though! There are lots of approaches to take with battles, depending on badge setup and partner selection. It's also fun trying to get the timing right on stylish/special moves to get the maximum damage. Audience shenanigans also keep me from zoning out; the first few times, I accidentally hit people who were trying to throw items, but I've gotten better at reacting appropriately the past few times. Overall, it's a clear step up from PM64, which began to feel repetitive in its combat after a while.

This remake is literally the definitive way to play this game now in my opinion. It's that good. I've been loving it so much, and the new lighting, graphics, etc. etc. really bump it into the modern age. I'm a person who would've originally said the game didn't need a graphical overhaul, but this game proved that thought wrong. My only gripe is how shiny everything is.

I beat Chapter 2 today! I enjoyed it quite a bit despite it not being the strongest in the game. Definitely some Pikmin inspiration there lol

AlphaDream felt like they got carte blanche on a lot of "weird" stuff even long after Paper Mario was seemingly denied the opportunity to do the same. Dream Team released a bit less than a year after Sticker Star and was chock full of original NPCs, enemies, and wacky-ass shit. Paper Jam seemed to be an exception to this, and that was probably because they tried to make the whole gimmick that there was a uniformity between M&L and Paper Mario.

If AlphaDream didn't close down I can't imagine they'd be held to some stricter standards, with the benefit of hindsight the reason the remakes had to cut down on some original designs was probably because of budget and economical asset reuse.
Weren't their rumors of AlphaDream and Nintendo clashing over Dream Team's direction?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/aymj/vol1/index3.html apparently from here? It's all in Japanese though

Weren't their rumors of AlphaDream and Nintendo clashing over Dream Team's direction?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/aymj/vol1/index3.html apparently from here? It's all in Japanese though
It's a pretty generic scenario being described. It doesn't suggest that there's like an extreme argument where one side is losing every time. It just says that whenever Nintendo doesn't approve of something, Alphadream has to take it in, see if they agree with Nintendo's opinion and then make a decision whether they want to have a meeting and fight them back on it or not. I feel like this probably happens with every game that Nintendo oversees. Very generic scenario. No evidence of a mandate that they can't circumvent at all. Which I mean yeah based on the final product that much is clear.

They are just describing how stressful it can be but also how important it is for these things to happen.

Paraphrase: "Asking "Why?" is definitely extremely important. We're (Nintendo and Alphadream) able to come to a conclusion on what to do once we talk it out and end up on the same page"

Last edited:
i think halfway through chapter 2 and it's a great remake. i haven't played the original in a looong time, probably since the late 2000's.

i'm very cool with 30 fps in most games, especially with this and it's visual upgrade. truly my only gripe is the input latency. maybe i'm trying to rush certain things but it's not even late, it feels wrong. like i'm always pressing buttons almost a second too late from when the menu is ready for the input. the amount of times Goombella almost attacked instead of tattled is a little annoying.

Oof. The battle mechanics have done the opposite of grown on me as I play. Action commands can feel like I do them the exact same every time and get different results. Trying to fit styling in too, it's too much.

The grace it has is how styling and difficult to do moves are absolutely optional, I like that.

Though I won't give credit for a battle UI that's been basically untouched. Mario has so many options over his head but changing partners is under tactics. The amount of unused buttons that could have been action shortcuts. It's good, it works, it's... You know, turn based, so it hardly matters, but it's definitely not the fastest battle UI.

All that said battles are genuinely fun, it's not often in an RPG I go out of my way to battle more just to have fun and style on some enemies.

The only thing that stops this from being a perfect game to me is them taking out the spin dash from 64

2024052418093100-4-C6-AC866-CC8-D349-A4295-D5465906-CD91.jpg

Probably I'm imagining things and my mind's got very twisted over the years, but I have the strong suspicion that this man actually agreed to smell Hooktail's feet lol

Moreover, I remember the first chapter took me a handful of days when I was a kid and it felt adventurous, big, long; but now I was done with it in an hour and a half, if at all. More evidence that it kinda sucks to grow up.

Just finished chapter 4, finally got enough badges and BP that I'm doing tons of damage each round. Jumpman + Power Plus + Power Bounce and the Power Life super = bosses that die very fast

Just finished chapter 4, finally got enough badges and BP that I'm doing tons of damage each round. Jumpman + Power Plus + Power Bounce and the Power Life super = bosses that die very fast
Yep, I went all BP all dps, without even doing low health stuff and wow, I beat Ch 6 boss in 2 turns lol.

Played through to the start of Chapter 2 tonight. Haven’t played the original in well over a decade and kind of forgot how funny the game can be. Delighted with it so far, the visual upgrades are quite nice and the gameplay is as solid as I remember.

Remakes were never in danger of getting the NPC designs homogenized. There were only a couple instances of that happening in the Superstar Saga remake and people blew it out of proportion. like 90% or more of the weird original stuff was left alone.

Likewise, the Bowser’s Inside Story remake was completely untouched, Alphadream even somehow got permission to add a few new OCs for the Bowser Jr side story, so I dont know why anyone would expect TTYD would be any different.

The real question would be if Intelligent Systems could get permission to make a bunch of new OCs again instead of just using pre-existing ones in a remake. Im very skeptical of this, but feeling slightly hopeful

I think it's still a clear difference that stuff like, the Magikoopa doctor or skeleton Kong would absolutely have been retained if they were following the same philosophy as these recent remakes. I haven't touched the Bowser's Inside Story remake so maybe they already laxed on it, but there must've been some tension there when the Superstar Saga remake was happening.

Dream Team vs. Paper Jam is definitely an extremely stark contrast, Paper Jam feels exceptionally strange compared to previous Mario & Luigi games in a way I'm skeptical to chalk up entirely to the crossover. Anyway, I guess we'll never know how things would be/could've gone. I think we're all certainly skeptical if we'll see either Beanish or Doogans again in a new game still, yeah.

i think halfway through chapter 2 and it's a great remake. i haven't played the original in a looong time, probably since the late 2000's.

i'm very cool with 30 fps in most games, especially with this and it's visual upgrade. truly my only gripe is the input latency. maybe i'm trying to rush certain things but it's not even late, it feels wrong. like i'm always pressing buttons almost a second too late from when the menu is ready for the input. the amount of times Goombella almost attacked instead of tattled is a little annoying.
Hmm, I haven't really run into this. I'm only a little bit into Chapter 1, though. Could it be a controller issue? Or perhaps we just use our controllers differently.

The Glitz Pit didn’t get dark for the Macho Grubba battle in the OG iirc? Nice atmospheric touch.

It's a pretty generic scenario being described. It doesn't suggest that there's like an extreme argument where one side is losing every time. It just says that whenever Nintendo doesn't approve of something, Alphadream has to take it in, see if they agree with Nintendo's opinion and then make a decision whether they want to have a meeting and fight them back on it or not. I feel like this probably happens with every game that Nintendo oversees. Very generic scenario. No evidence of a mandate that they can't circumvent at all. Which I mean yeah based on the final product that much is clear.

They are just describing how stressful it can be but also how important it is for these things to happen.

Paraphrase: "Asking "Why?" is definitely extremely important. We're (Nintendo and Alphadream) able to come to a conclusion on what to do once we talk it out and end up on the same page"
Yeah I do find it suspicious that in 2015’s Paper Jam, suddenly there’s not only a lot of Sticker Star elements in there instead of older Paper Mario stuff, but the story also got stripped down to basically the old “Bowser kidnaps Peach and he’s the final boss” theme. I’m pretty sure that Dream Team, which probably started development before Sticker Star, was the last title where they were not restricted by Nintendo.

I think my biggest personal issue with Paper Jam is the idea that Mario and Paper Mario are separate entities.

I know it's for crossover purposes, but it's never really sat right with me.

Haven’t seen it commented on yet but I love the slow mo effect when finishing off a chapter boss

Same, doing a stylish backflip from a hammer attack during the slowmo feels so satisfying. Like something straight out of Kingdom Hearts.

As someone with no particularly vivid memories nor nostalgia for TTYD, I'm halfway through the game and I will say this: so far, on every aspect of the game (music, level design, game design, writing...) except the combat system, Origami King is a better game. And even the combat system is only marginally better in this, even though I'll admit that the whole character stat building is pretty fun (but pretty easy to exploit to become OP).

Not saying this is bad at all! It's a great game and I really enjoy it so far*, but all the people who are like "TTYD and PM64 are the GOATs, and no Paper Mario since has lived up to their legacy" are exaggerating.

*except for the few times I've been stuck, looked up a walkthrough to know where to go, and the answer was "backtrack to..."

Last edited:
As someone with no particularly vivid memories nor nostalgia for TTYD, I'm halfway through the game and I will say this: so far, on every aspect of the game (music, level design, game design, writing...) except the combat system, Origami King is a better game. And even the combat system is only marginally better in this, even though I'll admit that the whole character stat building is pretty fun (but pretty easy to exploit to become OP).

Not saying this is bad at all! It's a great game and I really enjoy it so far*, but all the people who are like "TTYD and PM64 are the GOATs, and no Paper Mario since has lived up to their legacy" are capping hard.

*except for the few times I've been stuck, looked up a walkthrough to know where to go, and the answer was "backtrack to..."
Level design yes, but idk about writing. Also don't forget about puzzle solving and utilities 8 partners and multiple paper abilities. Albeit basic. But the fact that I'm pulling out different partners with purpose lends itself a different feel than OK.

One issue with Origami King is that it's kind of a post-apocalyptic game.... no civilizations, shops, economy (well there are some iirc), no reason to poke your head around to find a new combat ability (badge system) The systems complement the gameplay better in TTYD and 64. They feed into each other. You are rewarded.

What did finding the toads even do for you gameplay wise? That's my issue with Sticker Star, Color Splash, Origami King. There is adventuring, the levels are more open but... the systems don't feed into each other. There's little reason to interact with battles. There are no cool badges/equipment to find that change up your strategies.

Is it necessary in TTYD and 64? No, but at least there's some incentive. It's a basic JRPG with a Nintendo feel.

In order to me to like OK, I probably have to go into it with the mindset of just enjoying finding the toads for the sake of it. and I usually want to avoid battles. idk I think it has systematic issues even if the writing and the level design are both good.

Idk I also really like RPGs so that's part of it. Playing this game again makes me want to play FF7 rebirth really badly now....if only SE would release it on PC already lol.

Last edited:
The one thing I wish this remake did (though I get why they didn't) was rebalance the partners. Flurrie brings virtually nothing to the table outside of gambling with Gale Force to blow enemies away.

Is it necessary in TTYD and 64? No, but at least there's some incentive. It's a basic JRPG with a Nintendo feel.

In order to me to like OK, I probably have to go into it with the mindset of just enjoying finding the toads for the sake of it. and I usually want to avoid battles.
Personally, I think I'd rather have a good adventure game than a basic J-RPG. Because, yes, all the characters and badges add an interesting layer of strategy to the game, but why should I bother? The battles are so easy that there's no incentive to look for the badges and optimize your party (and I'd also argue that the badges are not really cleverly hidden, as opposed to the toads in OK where finding them can be a reward in itself, at least for me). At some point, in both games, I just wanna avoid battles, but at least in OK I can do that, meanwhile in TTYD I'm kinda stuck backtracking in a level and having to fight the enemies all other again.

Maybe Intelligent Systems should stick to only boss battles for Paper Mario, or make the game a little harder and deeper to keep all the small fights interesting throughout. But maybe Nintendo doesn't allow them to do that.

Personally, I think I'd rather have a good adventure game than a basic J-RPG. Because, yes, all the characters and badges add an interesting layer of strategy to the game, but why should I bother? The battles are so easy that there's no incentive to look for the badges and optimize your party (and I'd also argue that the badges are not really cleverly hidden, as opposed to the toads in OK where finding them can be a reward in itself, at least for me). At some point, in both games, I just wanna avoid battles, but at list in OK I can do that, meanwhile in TTYD I'm kinda stuck backtracking in a level and having to fight the enemies all other again.

Maybe Intelligent Systems should stick to only boss battles for Paper Mario, or make the game a little harder and deeper to keep all the little fights interesting throughout. But maybe Nintendo doesn't allow them to do that.
Part of the fun for me is the efficiency in Paper Mario 64/TTYD. Since the hp and damage everything deals is very clean, trying to beat all enemies before they get a turn, or beating them by taking no damage thanks to a well timed super guard, keeps me engaged.

Also as long as I'm getting exp to level and get more BP, I'll do fights in PM/TTYD all day every day and enjoy them. Also the slow metroidvania opening of the world is always fun for me.

Not saying this is bad at all! It's a great game and I really enjoy it so far*, but all the people who are like "TTYD and PM64 are the GOATs, and no Paper Mario since has lived up to their legacy" are capping hard.

Sorry, but I just can't agree! Even if the game isn't very difficult, battles really having a purpose is so important to me. If I don't gain EXP... I might as well just skip them! Plus the character designs are just so much nicer. I like Mario RPGs. I like having funny Mario characters in funny outfits, controlling cute buddies in battles... Paper Mario is different now, and it's found a new audience, but I'm just not one of them. I'm sticking with the old ones I love!

Not to mention... loving Vivian so much as a character as a kid, really connecting with her, finding out she's trans later, figuring out that I'M trans later, and then having her be openly, unambiguously trans in the remake? There's simply no way a newer Paper Mario is going to match up to the journey that me and this adorable fictional ghost have been through! TTYD is just THAT good!

I just wanted to stop by and say, I'm happy for those who either weren't old enough or somehow didn't want or couldn't play TTYD when it was released back in the days and are now experiencing this gem for the first time!

If I go quickly, I choose Crono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Mass Effect 1 and Silent Hill 2 for my personally most influential video game experiences of all time. No, Paper Mario TTYD is not even among them.
BUT:

If I had to choose which game I would want to completely eradicate from my memory to freshly relive it, I name none of the games mentioned above. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door would be my choice. So charming, light hearted, timeless looking, funny. You are in for a treat, everybody! Enjoy!

I enjoy combat in TTYD way more than I did in TOK, and it for sure makes 1/4 of the whole playtime so I‘d definitely say that counts. Having to solve some puzzle to win a fight while there’s a timer counting down and no incentive to win because you already have so many coins is just not fun for me, especially when boss battles have a completely different mechanic so you don’t really need to master it. And if they’re indeed that useless (as you also say) then why are many of them obligatory?

But for me, much more important is the story. I don’t only care for „writing“ because that only means how funny it is and how certain situations are handled. What interests me are plots that constantly evolve. Also, as others pointed out, the games since Sticker Star have essentially hostile environments which feel much more like an action adventure level than a real world where characters live you can talk to. The „story template“ that the games since Sticker Star use (you get a companion that sacrifice themselves in the end) doesn’t do a lot to me after seeing it for three times in a row. Same goes for battling office supplies.

I don’t see the newer games as great „mistakes“ or anything, I think it’s fair to make experiments with an IP. But I much prefer the older games and I don’t think they really needed to move on from the formula, because let’s not pretend that the newer titles aren’t also formulaic as hell.

We don’t need to accuse people of lying when someone likes one style of game over the other. For people who like the RPG games, having distinct characters to meet in a more cohesive setting, acquiring unique party members to accompany you that offer new abilities and grow alongside you, and the battle system / managing equipment / character growth are entire dimensions that people latch onto. For fans of newer games, one of them for example offered a Zelda Wind Waker like experience for one of its chapters which is an astounding level of ambition and broke new ground for the series. Different games with different designs and values speak to everyone differently. We can enjoy one or both without putting down the other and if something isn’t for you that’s ok.

Remakes were never in danger of getting the NPC designs homogenized. There were only a couple instances of that happening in the Superstar Saga remake and people blew it out of proportion. like 90% or more of the weird original stuff was left alone.

Likewise, the Bowser’s Inside Story remake was completely untouched, Alphadream even somehow got permission to add a few new OCs for the Bowser Jr side story, so I dont know why anyone would expect TTYD would be any different.

The real question would be if Intelligent Systems could get permission to make a bunch of new OCs again instead of just using pre-existing ones in a remake. Im very skeptical of this, but feeling slightly hopeful

I actually do think it's a little disconcerting that the two new characters we got in this remake that weren't there in the GCN game, actually do kinda sorta adhere to the dreaded "Mario Mandate".

5e4a5c8f4b3e15ac18fd561e4a675afe.png

As in, they're both "normal" Mario characters with at most, different hats and outfits, which are still allowed to exist as shown by Color Splash and The Origami King. Ian Foomus is just a normal Yoshi's Island Little Mouser wearing a grey cap, and the Battle Master is still at his core a normal toad just wearing a purple tangzhuang coat and guapi mao cap. Both of these could easily exist in The Origami King.

I know how silly this sounds, but my fears would definitely be quenched if the Battle Master was allowed to have hair or even be female, or even even replace his whole mushroom head with a hat or something, like the Excess Express Engineer.

I actually do think it's a little disconcerting that the two new characters we got in this remake that weren't there in the GCN game, actually do kinda sorta adhere to the dreaded "Mario Mandate".

As in, they're both "normal" Mario characters with at most, different hats and outfits, which are still allowed to exist as shown by Color Splash and The Origami King. Ian Foomus is just a normal Yoshi's Island Little Mouser wearing a grey cap, and the Battle Master is still at his core a normal toad just wearing a purple tangzhuang coat and guapi mao cap. Both of these could easily exist in The Origami King.

I know how silly this sounds, but my fears would definitely be quenched if the Battle Master was allowed to have hair or even be female, or even even replace his whole mushroom head with a hat or something, like the Excess Express Engineer.

Nintendo was never going to be influenced by remakes or remasters. I do think that developers might have more freedom with new enemy and NPC designs, but any character that is already established in the Mario universe (i.e Toads and Goombas) won’t ever be modified.

The Mario Movie reaffirmed this

My guy, these two don't adhere to the Mario Mandates. The Battle Master is a Chinese martial artist and the little Mouser is an information broker with a name. These two wouldn't exist in the Origami King.

Oh thank god someone else was feeling the same way. Because this was exactly how I was feeling despite still enjoying the game enough, but I didn’t want people angry with me so I kept my mouth shut. I already mentioned my gripes with the level design but in terms of the writing I also think that TOK is just way funnier.

I think I might go a step further and say I… might actually enjoy the battle system in Origami King a bit more? I’m not gonna defend the lack of exp there, it never really bothered me but it seemed to irk the other 99% of people who played. But I love puzzles and in that game if you solve the puzzle fast enough on the first attempt you can speed through the battling portion way quicker than any TTYD battle. Battles in this game are still fun but they feel kinda slow to me.

Still gonna keep playing because the game is fun and looks/sounds amazing but ngl I am a bit disappointed given how much people (specifically Nintendo YouTubers) have hyped up this game over the last 8 years and assured me that it blows TOK out of the water in every aspect.

I could’ve sworn Hooktail was weak against crickets not frogs.

Was thing a new change?
On top of what Cheetah said, it also just makes sense narratively. Eating frogs is fairly common, but many frogs are extremely poisonous.
Oh thank god someone else was feeling the same way. Because this was exactly how I was feeling despite still enjoying the game enough, but I didn’t want people angry with me so I kept my mouth shut. I already mentioned my gripes with the level design but in terms of the writing I also think that TOK is just way funnier.

I think I might go a step further and say I… might actually enjoy the battle system in Origami King a bit more? I’m not gonna defend the lack of exp there, it never really bothered me but it seemed to irk the other 99% of people who played. But I love puzzles and in that game if you solve the puzzle fast enough on the first attempt you can speed through the battling portion way quicker than any TTYD battle. Battles in this game are still fun but they feel kinda slow to me.

Still gonna keep playing because the game is fun and looks/sounds amazing but ngl I am a bit disappointed given how much people (specifically Nintendo YouTubers) have hyped up this game over the last 8 years and assured me that it blows TOK out of the water in every aspect.
If battles are slow in TTYD you're probably putting any too many levels in HP and not enough into BP. Most battles should end in 1-2 rounds in TTYD when you're playing well outside of bosses.

If battles are slow in TTYD you're probably putting any too many levels in HP and not enough into BP. Most battles should end in 1-2 rounds in TTYD when you're playing well outside of bosses.
I have upgraded HP once and everything else has gone to FP and BP

I need to find my GameCube version and try it out.

Because battles feel inherently slower in the switch version. Little delays here and there that I don’t remember being in the original. Like the slot matching, getting star gauge points, the audience interacting. I don’t remember zooming in if someone was throwing something. Delays when switching the menu options or selecting actions.

It’s not major. Just it doesn’t feel as responsive as I remember. I could be wrong tho. It’s not ruining my play though as well.

I need to find my GameCube version and try it out.

Because battles feel inherently slower in the switch version. Little delays here and there that I don’t remember being in the original. Like the slot matching, getting star gauge points, the audience interacting. I don’t remember zooming in if someone was throwing something. Delays when switching the menu options or selecting actions.

It’s not major. Just it doesn’t feel as responsive as I remember. I could be wrong tho. It’s not ruining my play though as well.

Just at a side by side, things load faster in the GC version like the menu and battles. The actual combat itself is the same speed in terms of attack/animation/etc

Got to the start of Chapter 4, but I'm too sleepy to keep playing tonight. Gonna pick it up again tomorrow. I'm so excited for this one! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom