• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door |ST| A Classic Re_rinted!

My guy, these two don't adhere to the Mario Mandates. The Battle Master is a Chinese martial artist and the little Mouser is an information broker with a name. These two wouldn't exist in the Origami King.

What exactly is it you think they're doing that they couldn't and didn't in Origami king? There were various NPCs "with names," and alternative design including ones with Asian designs, particularly around the theme park area including Geisha goombas and Kimono toads, a archaelogist professor including exactly the kind of outfit that you'd expect of that.

You can't earnestly expect anyone to believe that this toad

5e4a5c8f4b3e15ac18fd561e4a675afe.png

is some revolutionary change from the restrictions on how the IP should be shown, but this isn't:
E-P2z2FVQAE7Gee.png

I think it's still a clear difference that stuff like, the Magikoopa doctor or skeleton Kong would absolutely have been retained if they were following the same philosophy as these recent remakes. I haven't touched the Bowser's Inside Story remake so maybe they already laxed on it, but there must've been some tension there when the Superstar Saga remake was happening.

Dream Team vs. Paper Jam is definitely an extremely stark contrast, Paper Jam feels exceptionally strange compared to previous Mario & Luigi games in a way I'm skeptical to chalk up entirely to the crossover. Anyway, I guess we'll never know how things would be/could've gone. I think we're all certainly skeptical if we'll see either Beanish or Doogans again in a new game still, yeah.

The most likely explanation for why they made some changes in Superstar Saga 3DS and Bowsers inside story 3DS is because they were making a absolute ton of sprites (anyone thinking they were simply reusing them from the other games hasn't ever compared them at all, they're basically all new in Superstar saga), at much higher resolution, with many more frames than they did in the original GBA/DS games. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
We don’t need to accuse people of lying when someone likes one style of game over the other. For people who like the RPG games, having distinct characters to meet in a more cohesive setting, acquiring unique party members to accompany you that offer new abilities and grow alongside you, and the battle system / managing equipment / character growth are entire dimensions that people latch onto. For fans of newer games, one of them for example offered a Zelda Wind Waker like experience for one of its chapters which is an astounding level of ambition and broke new ground for the series. Different games with different designs and values speak to everyone differently. We can enjoy one or both without putting down the other and if something isn’t for you that’s ok.
I modified my message because you’re right, I was a bit extreme. But you know the Paper Mario discourse, every game since TTYD has been vilified by some fans, claiming that’s it’s not real Paper Mario etc, while every game after retained some of the qualities and charm of PM64/TTYD, and I don’t really understand how some people can enjoy TTYD and hate OK as much as they do.

I wrapped up chapter 4 last night, and I really like how each chapter has its own identity so far. None of them feel the same as the last.

I thought chapter 4 had a neat gameplay twist, and I also liked the aesthetic of Twilight Town. It even got geniunely depressing in some small moments, which made solving the problem so much more satisfying. It had a little too much running back and forth, but I really enjoyed it overall.

I modified my message because you’re right, I was a bit extreme. But you know the Paper Mario discourse, every game since TTYD has been vilified by some fans, claiming that’s it’s not real Paper Mario etc, while every game after retained some of the qualities and charm of PM64/TTYD, and I don’t really understand how some people can enjoy TTYD and hate OK as much as they do.
It's really not your prerogative to understand.

Let people (not) enjoy things 🥰🥰🥰

Origami king is pretty good but its big downfall imo is its combat. Its just straight up bad, not fun to play and not rewarding at all ( no exp is such a joke). Sucks so much of the fun out of the game. I also didn't like the whole paper obsession thing. Like visually sure but why am I fighting a pack of crayons instead of an actually interesting villian? Anyway, if the next paper mario was like ttyd but also had origami king like exploration I'd be down for that.

I have to admit, I haven’t played the original in over a decade, so I was slightly worried this might show its age. Just finished Chapter 3 and those fears are GONE at this point. In fact, I’ve only been reminded me of why I’ve been advocating for a return to form in the first place.

The series has never lost its writing in terms of just straight dialogue - it’s still laugh out loud funny - but it’s the scenario writing where TTYD shines (not even compared to the new games, but its predecessor too!). And I truly believe it’s in part because they were allowed to throw Mario in unfamiliar settings and play around with it.

Like, the Glitz Pit is legitimately a great little mystery. Throws Mario into an immediately engaging setting that he never had been a part of, introduces you to the multiple unique characters (with unique, memorable designs!) in play, gets you into a groove of signing up for bouts, slowly peels back the layers as it deviates from that groove and you see each characters true motives. Even though I already know the outcome, I couldn’t help but appreciate how well constructed it was on my replay. Definitely envious of those experiencing it for the first time.

Thinking of everything in the games after, I honestly don’t think the series has topped it.

Nintendo this is dangerous! This remake is just gonna make people want a return to this style more 😂

Last edited:
Finishing up Chapter 3, I forgot how much of this game (for me) is really elevated by its characters. Every Chapter has a clear villain (even if you don't know who it is at first) who is terrorizing people that you come to know as you progress through the Chapter, so it feels really great to help out your new friends and beat the bad guy. You go to these areas to get the macguffin, but your goal shifts once you get there to making friends and helping out people first, and usually the Crystal Star is your reward. I think they did a really great job of creating a memorable cast for each chapter. I think to me, this is the heart of this game, even more than something like the combat or structure (Though I do love the combat. Badges still give it so much depth and make it fun to explore).

What exactly is it you think they're doing that they couldn't and didn't in Origami king? There were various NPCs "with names," and alternative design including ones with Asian designs, particularly around the theme park area including Geisha goombas and Kimono toads, a archaelogist professor including exactly the kind of outfit that you'd expect of that.

You can't earnestly expect anyone to believe that this toad

is some revolutionary change from the restrictions on how the IP should be shown, but this isn't:
E-P2z2FVQAE7Gee.png

The most likely explanation for why they made some changes in Superstar Saga 3DS and Bowsers inside story 3DS is because they were making a absolute ton of sprites (anyone thinking they were simply reusing them from the other games hasn't ever compared them at all, they're basically all new in Superstar saga), at much higher resolution, with many more frames than they did in the original GBA/DS games. It's really that simple.
I think you’re actually right my buddy showed me this in game concept art of the purple battle master toad and he was so concerned about it
IMG-5035.jpg

Is there autosave? I thought they mentioned it in the beginning of the game when I started it but I can't find anything confirming this online.

Is there autosave? I thought they mentioned it in the beginning of the game when I started it but I can't find anything confirming this online.
Not in the way you're probably hoping for. The game auto saves each time you switch perspective in the end of chapter epilogue segments.

Not in the way you're probably hoping for. The game auto saves each time you switch perspective in the end of chapter epilogue segments.
That's good to have clarified though! Thank you. Sleep mode in Switch should definitely suffice since we're playing docked.

What was he concerned about?
I have to imagine it's the fact that the concept art there looks more like a proper TTYD NPC with unique facial features (hair, mustache/beard, thick eyebrows), as opposed to the final design that as said before, is essentially just a normal Toad wearing a costume, not too far removed from what you see in modern Paper Mario. Which feels like a big dent into the idea that Nintendo's loosening their character design restrictions like many people hoped for with Mario RPG and TTYD being remade.

I have to imagine it's the fact that the concept art there looks more like a proper TTYD NPC with unique facial features (hair, mustache/beard, thick eyebrows), as opposed to the final design that as said before, is essentially just a normal Toad wearing a costume, not too far removed from what you see in modern Paper Mario. Which feels like a big dent into the idea that Nintendo's loosening their character design restrictions like many people hoped for with Mario RPG and TTYD being remade.
I guess, but I don't really agree here that the final design of the Battle Master is just like the other Toads from Color Splash/The Origami King. Especially when he has a unique voice/text bubble.

I think you’re actually right my buddy showed me this in game concept art of the purple battle master toad and he was so concerned about it
IMG-5035.jpg
Yeah, this unfortunately spells it all out. Adding an outfit is permitted, but Nintendo still won't let them modify the features of existing character designs.

A new Paper Mario could put a hat on a goomba, but making it look unique like Goombella is still completely off the table. The dream is dead.

Yeah, this unfortunately spells it all out. Adding an outfit is permitted, but Nintendo still won't let them modify the features of existing character designs.

A new Paper Mario could put a hat on a goomba, but making it look unique like Goombella is still completely off the table. The dream is dead.
??? This is not implying anything like that.

As someone with no particularly vivid memories nor nostalgia for TTYD, I'm halfway through the game and I will say this: so far, on every aspect of the game (music, level design, game design, writing...) except the combat system, Origami King is a better game. And even the combat system is only marginally better in this, even though I'll admit that the whole character stat building is pretty fun (but pretty easy to exploit to become OP).

Not saying this is bad at all! It's a great game and I really enjoy it so far*, but all the people who are like "TTYD and PM64 are the GOATs, and no Paper Mario since has lived up to their legacy" are exaggerating.

*except for the few times I've been stuck, looked up a walkthrough to know where to go, and the answer was "backtrack to..."
Origami King's plot is much weaker, the character designs are immensely boring + there's no unique races, the location settings aren't as neat, and the combat is awful. It's not at all an exaggeration when I say the first 3 Paper Mario games are better than it, and by alot too.

I mean this game literally reviewed better and from new players too. That should show that it's not just nostalgia talking. It's fine if you like Origami King more, but nobody is lying if they think this is better,

As far as I understand of the character guidelines, they can't go nuts with variants of Toads/Koopas/Goombas/etc. that are off-model, but a unique NPC like Vivian with no relation to an existing Mario design is fine. Regardless, the existing TTYD cast was never in danger of being redesigned or not being grandfathered in.

Origami King's plot is much weaker, the character designs are immensely boring + there's no unique races, the location settings aren't as neat, and the combat is awful. It's not at all an exaggeration when I say the first 3 Paper Mario games are better than it, and by alot too.

I mean this game literally reviewed better and from new players too. That should show that it's not just nostalgia talking. It's fine if you like Origami King more, but nobody is lying if they think this is better,
With all of this hyperbole around both games you would think there would be more than an 8 point difference between their metacritic scores…

As far as I understand of the character guidelines, they can't go nuts with variants of Toads/Koopas/Goombas/etc. that are off-model, but a unique NPC like Vivian with no relation to an existing Mario design is fine. Regardless, the existing TTYD cast was never in danger of being redesigned or not being grandfathered in.
Yeah, if Nintendo's still gonna be anal about unique Toads, Koopas, etc, then they really just need to make up for it by emphasizing all new characters like Vivian. I'd argue Mario RPG was already like that (barring the female/old Toads).

Last edited:
To be honest, the “can’t modify body” is such a small restriction that I’d be fine if that was the only one left.

There’s still so much that could be done before that.

1) introduce more species from the main series? Like there’s probably a dozen or more species from the Galaxies and Odyssey to pull from. I don’t get why it’s still just toads, it would make the world feel so much bigger if they pulled Bees, Whittles, Tostarenans, Penguins, etc.

2) Make more original characters like the Shamans, Twilight Towners, and Punis. They clearly can given Kersti, Olly etc.

Those changes plus being able to at least give them unique outfits would still be great and go a long way toward making the world feel bigger!

But I’ll still stand by what I said earlier. The “mandate” is pointless now that these remakes are out. The entire point of it was seemingly to maintain brand consistency, yet Nintendo is marketing and selling SMRPG and TTYD as brand new switch games. It doesn’t matter if they were “grandfathered in,” Giant pictures of “modified” character designs are splashed all across their social medias and TV adverts right now as we speak. A big ol Hooktail render on their instagram story. A bunch of people now using Geno, Mallow and the TTYD partners as their switch icon.

Maintaining the mandate after this would be more baffling than it already was. The cat’s out of the bag.

With all of this hyperbole around both games you would think there would be more than an 8 point difference between their metacritic scores…
In the video game world a 88 an 80 is still a pretty big difference. With that said, 80 isn't bad and I myself think Origami king was a good game.

To be honest, the “can’t modify body” is such a small restriction that I’d be fine if that was the only one left.

There’s still so much that could be done before that.

1) introduce more species from the main series? Like there’s probably a dozen or more species from the Galaxies and Odyssey to pull from. I don’t get why it’s still just toads, it would make the world feel so much bigger if they pulled Bees, Whittles, Tostarenans, Penguins, etc.

2) Make more original characters like the Shamans, Twilight Towners, and Punis. They clearly can given Kersti, Olly etc.

Those changes plus being able to at least give them unique outfits would still be great and go a long way toward making the world feel bigger!

But I’ll still stand by what I said earlier. The “mandate” is pointless now that these remakes are out. The entire point of it was seemingly to maintain brand consistency, yet Nintendo is marketing and selling SMRPG and TTYD as brand new switch games. It doesn’t matter if they were “grandfathered in,” Giant pictures of “modified” character designs are splashed all across their social medias and TV adverts right now as we speak. A big ol Hooktail render on their instagram story. A bunch of people now using Geno, Mallow and the TTYD partners as their switch icon.

Maintaining the mandate after this would be more baffling than it already was. The cat’s out of the bag.
The guidelines are for more than just telling game devs what they can/can't do. They're instructional for any company that makes licensed Mario merch. Nintendo doesn't want a toy company making a Yoshi doll that's misproportioned or that doesn't have the correct shade of green, for example.

In the video game world a 88 an 80 is still a pretty big difference. With that said, 80 isn't bad and I myself think Origami king was a good game.
I mean, it’s an 8/10 vs a 9/10. But yeah I think 80 is a very reasonable score for TOK. It’s just funny that internet hyperbole would have you believe the general consensus is that it’s a 40 when even the audience score is a 70.

IMG-5035.jpg

I think people are jumping to the wrong conclusions here.

If anything, seeing the concept art showing them modifying facial/hair features shows that there really was no restriction in place to begin with. They went with the current design of the Master Toad as it felt like the best "fit" for the characters, perhaps because the "Old Master" stereotype has been done to death at this point (across various Mario RPG titles, no less).

Also, they made sprites for the wanted Koopa in the poster and his gang? What the heck...?!

As for the guidelines, those exist for the official main characters in the mainline Mario franchise for merchandising purposes, and I don't think they necessarily apply in game development. I mean, I'm pretty sure manline original characters like Tostarinas wouldn't come about if that were the case.

Also, Ian Foomus. Just...Ian Foomus.

Last edited:
Hold on hold on hold on

Are the wanted Koopa and his gang Koopa Koot, Goompa, and Bootler from the first game? The Boo has Bootler's mustache and they all traveled together.

Edit:
The only thing that's not right is that the Koopa has a red shell and Koopa Koot's is green

Honestly, I think it would've been neat if the Battle Master was just the Dojo Master from PM64. But I like the new guy too!

Delays when switching the menu options or selecting actions.
like i'm always pressing buttons almost a second too late from when the menu is ready for the input.
You're pressing it a bit too early, not late. I'm not positive on this, but I believe the original buffered menu inputs if you put them in faster than it displayed them, so (for example) pressing A-Down-A with Goombella would always Tattle, even if you pressed down in the transition into Goombella's attack sub menu. Similarly, pressing right twice from Jump would always get you to Items, even if the menu was still spinning to Hammer during the second input.

In the Switch version, all inputs during menu animations are ignored. So if you press something early, nothing happens and it feels bad.

Little delays here and there that I don’t remember being in the original. Like the slot matching, getting star gauge points, the audience interacting. I don’t remember zooming in if someone was throwing something.
Yes, none of these interrupted anything before. You could choose actions while SP was still filling, the slot machine didn't have the weird two speed thing where it needs to go around a couple times and slow down before you can stop it, and no attention was called to the audience throwing something beyond the button prompt showing up.

I just want this and the SMRPG remake to convince Nintendo to make more Mario RPGs in the traditional style. Whether it's Paper Mario, SMRPG, or something new entirely. SMRPG and the first two PMs are some of my all time favorite games and something that carries on their spirit is all I ask.

Having made my way to Chapter 4, I'm left ruminating on the writing in this game and find myself believing that the series only ever got better about writing as time progressed. Part of the reason for this I feel is that TTYD, for the most of the part, has a pretty conventional approach to humor that relies a lot on textual script and very little on cinematography or the richness of its own presentation. It leads to a lot of "haha" type moments that elicit good chuckles but nothing that really ever gets me in the gut. The Mario & Luigi series felt like the king in terms of humor because it's so good about combining text and visual gags, but I think even Paper Mario got really good about this once it truly got comfortable with its own medium. One of my favorite gags in Origami King is when you recruit Bobby and how the mixture of music usage, expressions, pauses, and Olivia's attention deficit tendencies really elevates the tried and true Paper Mario trope of Mario usually getting an option to rebuke someone's request, whereas in TTYD having to select a funny option usually has Mario's partner come in to defang the situation immediately.

I think Vivian's character arc in TTYD is beautiful. On the other hand, I'm kind of disappointed that it's the only character arc of its kind in the game and that it's limited in how long it gets exposure within the plot. I think even the designers must have realized they landed on accidental gold with her because in many ways she feels like the Paper Mario series' first instance of trying to imbue an ongoing character arc as an emotional anchor and they kept trying to do that several games in a row later (I can't say RPGs in general because Mallow is kind of the originator here); her arc spans part of one chapter and the full length of another one. By the time Origami King rolled around, the writers were so confident in their ability to write a sad turn in a character arc that progressing in the story takes a halt because Mario himself tries to find a way to comfort someone who went through a significant loss, and that loss is only further felt if you went through optional sequences where your full party of three got to experience fun things together. It's a dilemma resolved through Mario's goodness and ingenuity rather than a convenient third party plot item. Because Mario's such a cipher in the early games it's easy to take for granted that these games largely needed a more subtextual reading of the impact that Mario has on the people he meet (Super Paper Mario might be the guiltiest offender because of how it accelerated the feeling of the heroes' insignificance in the overall narrative -- not so much mechanically obviously). By the very end of TOK's narrative the characters successfully come across as more than just paper-thin beings but people who all had lived experience.

Anyway this remake's menus are driving me up the wall.

Having made my way to Chapter 4, I'm left ruminating on the writing in this game and find myself believing that the series only ever got better about it as time progressed. Part of the reason for this I feel is that TTYD, for the most of the part, has a pretty conventional approach to humor that relies a lot on textual script and very little on cinematography or the richness of its own presentation. It leads to a lot of "haha" type moments that elicit good chuckles but nothing that really ever gets me in the gut. The Mario & Luigi series felt like the king in terms of humor because it's so good about combining text and visual gags, but I think even Paper Mario got really good about this once it truly got comfortable with its own medium. One of my favorite gags in Origami King is when you recruit Bobby and how the mixture of music usage, expressions, pauses, and Olivia's attention deficit tendencies really elevates the tried and true Paper Mario trope of Mario usually getting an option to rebuke someone's request, whereas in TTYD having to select a funny option usually has Mario's partner come in to defang the situation immediately.

I think Vivian's character arc in TTYD is beautiful. On the other hand, I'm kind of disappointed that it's the only character arc of its kind in the game and that it's limited in how long it gets exposure within the plot. I think even the designers must have realized they landed on accidental gold with her because in many ways she feels like the Paper Mario series' first instance of trying to imbue an ongoing character arc as an emotional anchor (I can't say RPGs in general because Mallow is kind of the originator here); it spans part of one chapter and the full length of another one. By the time Origami King rolled around, the writers were so confident in their ability to write a sad turn in a character arc that progressing in the story takes a halt because Mario himself tries to find a way to comfort someone who went through a significant loss, and that loss is only further felt if you went through optional sequences where your full party of three got to experience fun things together. It's a dilemma resolved through Mario's goodness and ingenuity rather than a convenient third party plot item. Because Mario's such a cipher in the early games it's easy to take for granted that these games largely needed a more subtextual reading of the impact that Mario has on the people he meet (Super Paper Mario might be the guiltiest offender because of how it accelerated the feeling of the heroes' insignificance in the overall narrative -- not so much mechanically obviously). By the very end of that narrative the characters successfully come across as more than just paper-thin beings but people who all had lived experience.

Anyway this remake's menus are driving me up the wall.
You think it's maybe because of the navigation of the menus are sluggish?

Hmm seems like you are taking a different angle with the writing than me. (+More on emotional parts below)

You are talking about the humor and the gags.

Mario and Luigi… sure yeah, but here’s the thing.

TTYD is more serious. More in line with standard RPGs on the market. You get the gags but you also get scenarios.

A scenario in ML is like.. two gym bros taking you up a mountain for training while making a bunch of gags..

TTYD at least tries to give you mini storylines.

I felt this way with origami king too.. what is the storyline of zone 1… it’s just like a bunch of random events strung together…

There’s more emotional bits here and there. Keep playing. I mean there was in every chapter. Small things here and there. Flurrie being indebted to nature and the creatures of boggly woods. Koops and his father. Glitzpit’s Jolene.

Last edited:
Basically. Even if you ignore the standards the original had set, modern RPGs in general have come such a long way in terms of making responsive menus that it feels regressive.
same, everything has a half-second delay to it
I will admit that it's frustrating and bothersome. Even if it is a half-second, that adds up real fast. What's weird is that I don't think Color Splash/The Origami King had this delay input with their menus.

Hmm seems like you are taking a different angle with the writing than me. (+More on emotional parts below)

You are talking about the humor and the gags.

Mario and Luigi… sure yeah, but here’s the thing.

TTYD is more serious. More in line with standard RPGs on the market. You get the gags but you also get scenarios.

A scenario in ML is like.. two gym bros taking you up a mountain for training while making a bunch of gags..

TTYD at least tries to give you mini storylines.

I felt this way with origami king too.. what is the storyline of zone 1… it’s just like a bunch of random events strung together…

There’s more emotional bits here and there. Keep playing. I mean there was in every chapter. Small things here and there. Flurrie being indebted to nature and the creatures of boggly woods. Koops and his father. Glitzpit’s Jolene.
Agreed. The only standout scenario writing in Origami King was Bobby's arc and (to a lesser extent) teaming up with Kamek in Chapter 5. It's especially bad in the boat chapter where there's like nothing going on, at all. You're sent to aimlessly explore the ocean and that's it, with minimal NPC interaction.

It just doesn't hit the same as TTYD, which I'd say is inspired by how Dragon Quest games are structured around a series of vignettes

Beat chapter 4. Battle system is finally getting really good now that I have a bunch of BP and badges.

Also I now get the joke in this thread’s title. Clever.

kinda speedrunning my way through chapter 2, which is my least favorite chapter in this game. I'm playing the game a little differently as I'm actually going to put strategic thought into the badge system. I think it'll allow me to look at this game in a different way from a gameplay perspective so it feels more different.

Excited to get to Chapter 3 though.

About to start the WWF chapter. I’m having fun, but my memories are definitely correct in that TTYD’s story is much less interesting and memorable than the original, despite some strong and varied locations/partners. I think they tried to streamline things to improve pacing but it somewhat backfires. It ends up feeling like a B-side of the first game.

I remember this upcoming segment being the best in the game so I’m excited!

About to start the WWF chapter. I’m having fun, but my memories are definitely correct in that TTYD’s story is much less interesting and memorable than the original, despite some strong and varied locations/partners. I think they tried to streamline things to improve pacing but it somewhat backfires. It ends up feeling like a B-side of the first game.

I remember this upcoming segment being the best in the game so I’m excited!
What do you mean feeling like the B-side?

It's interesting playing through this game as an adult again, as a kid I was upgrading health quite a bit. But I haven't done that at all this time around. I'm investing everything in FP and BP. I actually forgot how amazing the badges are. The battle system is so good, it's time to take this battle system to the next level for the next game Nintendo!

I will admit that it's frustrating and bothersome. Even if it is a half-second, that adds up real fast. What's weird is that I don't think Color Splash/The Origami King had this delay input with their menus.
It's not input delay. The menus straight up drop your inputs if they're in the middle of an animation/transition. If you wait for the window to be active, it feels immediate, but it's crazy how long that takes.

Back
Top Bottom