• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

wrapping up Thriller Bark in my reread, this is still a really fun arc and I don’t get the hate for it

Also Kuma’s appearance in it certainly takes on a different tenor now
I feel like how much you enjoy Thriller Bark comes down to how much you vibe with the brand of humor/the zombie shenanigans. Personally, I like it quite a lot too.

wrapping up Thriller Bark in my reread, this is still a really fun arc and I don’t get the hate for it

It's been a while since I've read Thriller Bark but I loved it on my initial read

The whole crew pitching in to fight Oars is still easily among the best action sequences in the series, if not THE best. One of the rare times that Oda was able to pry himself away from just writing 1v1 fights. The group fights on the roof against Kaido and Big Mom were really fun for similar reasons, I wish Oda would do team fights more often.

Rereading Sabaody, the introduction scene with the Celestial Dragons actually makes me physically mad. I can’t put into words how much I hate them. It’s like Berserk villains wandered into a shonen manga. They deserve the worst and then some.

It's been a while since I've read Thriller Bark but I loved it on my initial read

The whole crew pitching in to fight Oars is still easily among the best action sequences in the series, if not THE best. One of the rare times that Oda was able to pry himself away from just writing 1v1 fights. The group fights on the roof against Kaido and Big Mom were really fun for similar reasons, I wish Oda would do team fights more often.
I wish the Strawhats vs Black Beards isn't a bunch of 1vs1, but a big ass melee. (Or a few tag teams, like something fun like Zoro Nami and Usopp vs Shilliew Augur and Devon, etc)

Also I have a feeling the Laugh Tale arc will start with a battle royale on the sea between the 4 Yonko crews given how Oda just set them all up by deciding to all go find the One Piece. That would be really fun too. Like, somehow they all arrive near Laugh Tale at the same time (with Cross Guild/Buggy only arriving there by sheer luck of course, without any Poneglyph lmao)

Thriller Bark is extremely enjoyable especially when you go back after reading what comes 10+ years later. An early image of Jimbe is seen, it's a wall Zombie. Also hints about Big Mom, Boa and Kaidou name drops are just the surface material. But that old government symbol on Oars's loin cloth gave us early hints in regards to what we learned at Punk Hazard. The government trying to make giants. Samurai Ryuma being Zoro's ancestor. Receiving Ryuma's blessing and sword carries on so much more weight knowing what we know now. Oars being the Continent Puller, nearly certain thats how Wano was formed. Peronah and Kumacy, later we find out she had a Kuma "A" and a Kuma "B". Kumucy is her 3rd, her Kuma C. That doesn't have much to do with anything but I found it to be fascinating. And all that fog? I bet you the same fog at Thriller Bark is caused by the same fog at Zoe. I love Thriller Bark.

On Impel Down now, the stretch of Sabaody through Marineford is again Oda at some of his best work. Kind of nostalgic since this is when I caught up originally.

SPOILERS FOR 1107:
Some cool tidbits in this chapter. A few thoughts, copied over from my post on Arlong Park (hi @Romancedawn! You probably don't recognize me because my username is different there but hi regardless lol):
  • BB is probably related to Xebec, as a lot of people expect
  • Caribou finally joining up with BB. Lots of people expected that he was already their lackey, but the end result will be the same: BB gaining info on Poseidon and Pluton
  • Looks like Catarina will impersonate Saturn. She touched him in the panel where she says goal complete, so I assume that's how she becomes able to transform into someone, just like Bon Clay
Oda was trying his best to throw us all for a loop these past few months, but everything I see here only solidifies BB as the final villain to me. Saturn is being made to look like a punching bag and a mere stepping stone to the BB pirates. He's probably going to get taken out this arc, but Catarina will take his place unbeknownst to the world.

Jumping in a bit late to say I also love Thriller Bark. The atmosphere is immaculate, Moria's power is used in extremely creative ways, the Oars fight is still one of the best in the entire series, and I absolutely love the juxtaposition of the weakling trio going through all these ordeals and freaking out, only for the powerhouses of the crew to go through the exact same things and completely no-sell them lmao

The anime is horrible with some of the worst filler period. Amazing arc when read, though.
Not just the worst filler. Oh no. Not just the worst filler.

THE WORST FUCKING MUSIC.

How many times do I have to hear that horrible "mystery song" that not only doesn't match with the vibe of Thriller Bark, but they play it endlessly and endlessly.

It's that bouncey "ba-bum, ba-ba-ba-BA-BUMP" like, oh yeah jaunty fun time adventure. Which doesn't match at all with the early vibes of Thriller Bark which at least was trying to bait you into thinking it would be a scary arc. You'll go mad hearing this song over and over and over again.

You'd think Thriller Bark would benefit from the slower pace of the anime for some really good scary moments, like how DBZ handled Imperfect Cell, but absolutely not.

Last edited:
Okay now that the chapter is officially out I can post this

IMG_6228.jpg

Banger chapter. Especially if you're a Sanji fan (like me) :D

Power of love > Physics
Luffy delivers possibly the second most satisfying punch in the history of One Piece (depending on where you rank Kuma punching Saturn a few chapters ago).
Karibou relevant again?
And... whatever BB is planning, this can't be good 👀

Though I find it a bit weird that Zoro is apparently struggling against Lucci? I'm not a big fan of all those power scaling discussions but it's still a bit odd I feel.

Zoro doesn't seem to be using Advanced Conquerors Haki or that King of Hell mode he used against King, for some reason (that reason being because the plot demands it)

I assume that Lucci doesn't hold up nearly as well once he goes all out

Zoro is finally so much stronger than the rest of the crew (especially #4) that he now has the protagonist urge to save his power for dramatic effect like Luffy

Banger chapter. Especially if you're a Sanji fan (like me) :D
On my OP reread I think I've come around to Sanji being my favorite non-Luffy Straw Hat. When Oda gets him just right, he's an incredibly fun character.

...unfortunately, I'm about to start Fishman Island on my reread, so I expect my appreciation for him to be tested.

On my OP reread I think I've come around to Sanji being my favorite non-Luffy Straw Hat. When Oda gets him just right, he's an incredibly fun character.

...unfortunately, I'm about to start Fishman Island on my reread, so I expect my appreciation for him to be tested.
He's not my favorite, but yeah he's so unique in how wild his writing swings. Crazy that he goes through such a long, dark period until Whole Cake

Okay this chapter merits a bump because holy hell

GIxeiMqXQAAfESy.png

This is the first double spread page since Dressrosa I believe (which is where I’m at in my reread funnily enough)

I don't think I'm wrong, but that's the first two pure page spread in One Piece history right? Usually the spreads are broken up with at minimum 2-3 panels on the side?

What an introduction

EDIT: ahaha no, I'm wrong instantly in chapter 1, and there's plenty more. Still, it's incredible

I don't think I'm wrong, but that's the first two pure page spread in One Piece history right? Usually the spreads are broken up with at minimum 2-3 panels on the side?

What an introduction

EDIT: ahaha no, I'm wrong instantly in chapter 1, and there's plenty more. Still, it's incredible
It's not, but we haven't had one in years.

Just straight up Dune sandworm in there lol. Like how the empty throne is just the iron throne

Interesting that the chapter only named the creatures and not the fruits. Lends credence to the idea that these may not be devil fruits after all

I really hope that is close to the official coloring cause that looks great. But yea, overall I loved this chapter. It's kinda surreal to see the Elder Stars to take a big part in the story now.

I really hope that is close to the official coloring cause that looks great. But yea, overall I loved this chapter. It's kinda surreal to see the Elder Stars to take a big part in the story now.
First Vegapunk, then the whole Kuma flashback, the Giants and now all five Elders. Egghead really is a big example of "remember this character from 10 years ago? Oda does."😅

Okay this chapter merits a bump because holy hell

GIxeiMqXQAAfESy.png

This is the first double spread page since Dressrosa I believe (which is where I’m at in my reread funnily enough)

If anyone still had doubts that the top people of the WG / Marines are not among the "good folks", this spread should clear any.

Nothing screams "We're not the good guys" than these Devilfruit(?) forms.

I did not know this thread existed (thank you @oomoepoo for showing me the light). But I recently caught up in the manga (and started the Anime from the current arc, but I will be going back to watch from the beginning). I love One Piece. It's the best story ever told. Oda is a genius the way he weaves his this web.

I'm not sure how this arc is going to go, but I think some other figures are going to have to step in to help out our pirates. Also, f*ck the WG.

Wow, is he actually going to be on set this time? I don't recall him being on set previously. He met the cast and crew, but I don't remember him ever being there there.
No idea, but he definitely consulted for the first season and gave feedback on a lot of scenes. Probably reads the scripts and gives approvals/suggestions?

When I realize that stuff like CP9 is now technically early One Piece (hadn't even been running a decade at that point), I get the same sinking feeling as when I see threads like "Do you consider the Wii/DS retro?"

Wow, is he actually going to be on set this time? I don't recall him being on set previously. He met the cast and crew, but I don't remember him ever being there there.
Tbf, didn't they at least partially film during the heights of Corona? I'd imagine there being a lot of restrictions. He also was busy with promoting Film Red I guess...

When I realize that stuff like CP9 is now technically early One Piece (hadn't even been running a decade at that point), I get the same sinking feeling as when I see threads like "Do you consider the Wii/DS retro?"
I remember when in Berserk Guts got off the boat after like 8 years, and people were saying “when he first got on the boat, the Straw Hats were fighting CP9” lol

Allow me to sink that feeling in even further: Water 7 was around the end of the Gamecube era, and Enies Lobby the beginning of the Wii era.

Allow me to sink that feeling in even further: Water 7 was around the end of the Gamecube era, and Enies Lobby the beginning of the Wii era.
that is insane. Hell I am still trying to wrap my head around when I finally caught up in the manga, which was around the birdcage in Dressrosa. I was pretty much starting college at that point. Hard to believe that arc was just about 10 years ago.

Luffy and Ash approximately started their quest at the same time.. and somehow Ash was the first one to retire :LOL:

Wonder if Oda is going to be working on the show until then. Supposedly it’s gonna start filming in a few months.
My immediate thought was that it was for the next film as one is due for next year, but yeah it might be for the live action show actually.

After so many mangakas passed away way too early due to health related issues, it should be mandatory for the whole industry to have their creatives take breaks on a regular schedule.

Folks, your health is more important than comics.

Oda's official message on his break:

GJKc_nWXcAA6V0n
Over the years, we've seen Oda become more and more conscious about his health, and I'm glad he wants to take breaks for the express purpose of self-maintenance. Everyone needs that. I also wonder if it means a change in how One Piece is created. He's been adamant about drawing all the characters himself, but I figure he can start letting some of his long-time assistants help out there. Even if it's just the background characters.

Back
Top Bottom