• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

The current anime is really bad so I don't think they should be complaining much tbh. They're still continuing it which is cool for the fans of it.
When you work on a product for years you have every right to complain. And the current anime is not even close to being terrible. In spite of the pacing issues, a lot of very quality episodes still manage to come out from the reinvigorated staff, especially in Wano.

Yeah, I don’t we need to throw shade at the current anime. It’s not the best, but it’s far from being terrible. I can definitely understand where the Toei staff are coming from.

On the other hand, I’m a manga geek, and One Piece is one of my favorite pieces of fiction ever. I can’t be disappointed about a fancy remake. I just can’t.

When you work on a product for years you have every right to complain. And the current anime is not even close to being terrible. In spite of the pacing issues, a lot of very quality episodes still manage to come out from the reinvigorated staff, especially in Wano.
I disagree. I hope the people who like it show them lots of support though since I'm sure it's not their fault. There are definitely people who do like it so I'm sure they'll feel better once the praise starts rolling in again.

I dunno, I’m a huge fan of One Piece, it’s one of my all time favorite series, but I can’t justify watching the current anime with its glacial pacing. It’s just not fun or enjoyable. If an adaption of my favorite manga is basically unwatchable that seems pretty bad.

The best thing about the Toei anime was always the music and voice acting. That will be the biggest challenge for the new anime to live up to.

They're going to remake the still running anime, which already has ... what ... like ... almost 1100 episodes?

They're going to remake a series that will ... dunno have ~1500 or even more episodes when it's finished?

And they think Netflix will be paying for this long?

Well, there's one animation studio that has their employees jobs secure for some years now.

Given they're still hiring for it, I wouldn't be surprised if the Manga is (almost) finished by the time the first batch of that new anime comes out.

They're going to remake the still running anime, which already has ... what ... like ... almost 1100 episodes?

They're going to remake a series that will ... dunno have ~1500 or even more episodes when it's finished?

And they think Netflix will be paying for this long?

Well, there's one animation studio that has their employees jobs secure for some years now.
The fact that the current anime has so many episodes is exactly why they need to remake it

They've been covering only one chapter or less (usually less) of the manga per episode for years now. Between ditching the filler arcs and consistently covering 3-4 chapters per episode the entire time, they could cut that episode count down in a big way.

It'd still be alot of episodes, of course, but it'd be far easier to get newcomers to the series into. For the time being, this announcement seems to just be for East Blue, so one season, and then I assume they'll greenlight and announce more as they go along.

Given they're still hiring for it, I wouldn't be surprised if the Manga is (almost) finished by the time the first batch of that new anime comes out.
This could be the perfect 30th anniversary project. The 30th anniversary (2027) also just so happens to match up with the timeline Oda estimated he wanted the finish the series by.
Obviously, Oda's estimated should be taken with a mountain sized grain of salt, but I could definetly see them try to synergize the end of the manga, the launch of the remake, and a season of Live Action in the same year. (Probably throw in an Anime film and video game in there too!)

On the flip side, if it was 2027 then it feels like this announcement is coming way too soon, and if it was 2027 then that would only leave 145 chapters left of the series (at the current rate of 35ish chapters a year) which feels impossible to wrap up everything by then.....but the pacing has been much faster lately, who knows, maybe it is possible.

Imho, ever since the Wano finale the manga has increasingly felt like Oda is moving all the pieces into position for the grande finale. Sure, we probably have at least one more island, being Elbaf, for Luffy and crew before true endgame but honestly 2027 (albeit late) doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Then again, this being Oda, it could also be 2028, because he gets distracted by a flashback or something like that :LOL:

Then again, this being Oda, it could also be 2028, because he gets distracted by a flashback or something like that
We do know that Oda has a constantly flowing fountain of ideas in his head and sometimes his editor tells him to keep stuff in even if it slows down the pacing. So yeah the series length is still up in the air lol

2027 would be the manga's 30th anniversary so I can definitely picture Oda trying to finish then but it could just as easily bleed past that a couple of years. I'd be surprised if it goes longer than 2030 though, barring some unprecedented health issues.

One Piece animated but actually good sounds amazing honestly. Hopefully they get to make the whole thing.

This chapter is the most I've sobbed over a single page of any manga. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I'm here to provide support for everyone who read Kuma's flashback, because Oda really decided to wreck his readers for Christmas.

Oda really went and delivered one of the most heart wrenching chapters in the history of One Piece. For Christmas. Thank you Oda-sensei, very cool!

What a year it's been for One Piece.
Making a " My Top 10 Favorite Chapters of the Year" list was a herculean task. It was sooo hard to choose!

10) 1079 - The Red Hair Pirates, the Emperors Crew - Shanks vs Kid was an all timer for hype, even if we all figured exactly how it would go down, it was glorious to see. Divine Departure was the cherry on top
9) 1102 - The Life of Kuma - Absolutely flawless. The last panel made me tear up in a few chapters ever have. The Kuma flashback will go down as one of One Piece's best, and this was the perfect conclusion.
8) 1082 - Lets Go Claim It - I was not expecting THIS level of character development for Buggy at this point in the game. His flashback really made me feel for him, and got me rotting for him to be a worthy contender for the crown, and the 2nd half we began the GOAT Reverie 2.0 flashback.
7) 1086 - The 5 Elder Planets - After what seemed like an eternity, we got the gorosei names! And top it off with one of the rawest character designs in the series revealed, St Figarland Garling.
6) 1098 - The Birth of Bonney -The other chapter this year that made me cry. I think we all knew Ginny was not going to be long for this world, but no one expected just how twisted and tragic it would be. This is a chapter that showed us that there are no limits to how dark the series can go from here on out.
5) 1076 - Old Friends - Shanks makes his grand return! And in Elbaf too! I'm putting this over the actual Shanks vs Kidd fight, because the surprise of seeing him and getting the fight set up outweighed the (obvious) outcome of the fight
4) 1094 - St. Jaygarcia Saturn of the 5 Elders - Saint Garcia's fruit reveal was a sight to behold. We Bloodborne Piece now. I love the direction it went in and it shifted the tone of the arc right on its head perfectly.
3) 1080 - The Legendary Hero - I love the aesthetic of Beehive Island, and we got so much of it here. After years of Samurai Town and Future Town, it was nice to get back to some good ol classic Pirates doing Pirate things in a Pirate-y place. Garp's epic finishing move was the cherry on top.
2) 1085 - The Death of Nefertari Cobra - Back and forth on whether this is Number 1 or 2. The most we've ever seen of Imu. As Imu is probably the mystery in the series I'm most excited to learn more about, this chapter was a feast! On top of that, we got the reveal that the Gorosei are a force to be reckoned with too.
1) 1089 - Under Siege - The world begins to flood, and the grand return to Egghead. Seeing the absolute massive scale of consequences caused by the Lulucia incident made me more excited for the endgame than anything else. This was but a tease, but it showed us that nowhere is safe now, the entire world is in the crosshares for whatever is coming next. On top of that, we got the triumphant return of the Strawhats, having put down York and the Seraphim off screen. Like it would have been nice to see that, but tbh, I'm glad we skipped all that and just got to the good stuff right away, because hoo boy we were not prepared for how good it was going to be!

Will put it into spoiler tags cause the chapter 1103 won't officially release until next week, but it's already available online :

Kizaru for next nakama, please.
I've been on this hype train ever since he did the Nika dance and ate pizza with his friends Vegapunk, Sentomaru, Kuma and Bonney in the flashback. But now I'm fully commited to it. My man clearly is the one who gave food to Luffy, the panelling clearly hints at it.

I was unsure how I felt about Egghead until recently. (The start of the arc was really slow and, as usual post Punk Hazard, dragged down by unecessary boring subplots such as the Vegapunk traitor subplot, or the whole "we control the Seraphim ! Oh no we don't anymore ! But actually we do !... oh, not anymore..." which was always a fake build up of tension cause we knew that in the end Saturn would show up and take control of them)
But the flashback has been pretty good, and it looks like the pay off to it in the climax of the arc will be really really good.

Excited for what 2024 will bring for One Piece. We're truly in the endgame now, Elbaf should be there soon (hoping we get there by the end of February/early March), and hopefully before the end of Summer 2025 Luffy and co will start to search for Laugh Tale.

What's in store in 2024 for Luffy and co ? Will they get a new nakama ? (Kizaru ? Bonney ? Caribou ? Vivi making her come back to the crew while being on the run ?)
Will Oda remember that he put the G5 (minus Smoker seemingly ?) near Egghead at the start of the arc ?
Will Luffy finally meet Shanks again at Elbaf, or did he move on from there already ? (Is Elbaf going to be a Davy Back Fight against Shanks crew ?)
Will Black Beard make his long speculated by the fanbase move against Shanks ?
Will Dragon keep being shown in panels every two chapters doing absolutely nothing beyond sweating and saying shit like "let the wind of destiny do their thing" ?

Personally, I can't wait for the Robin and Saul reunion at Elbaf. Shit is going to make me cry like a baby. Probably should be a good time for some Void Century lore dump too, between Saul and co having all the research from Ohara, and Vegapunk having made his own research and wanting to go to Elbaf with the crew...

We are getting Bonney to join the crew once she eats Kuma's fruit to complete the number theory 😎

Thought that would happen in some goofy way even before this chapter's revelation.

The new opening and ending for the anime are really great. Bet the ed will go super well with the Kuma/Bonney flashback 🥲

Yeah Egghead's opening is fucking great. We Are and We Go are legendary, but I wasn't really big on We Can and Over the Top, but this one is soooo good. Hiroshi Kitadani still has it for One Piece openings.

Love little Sentomaru firing a Kizaru firework and being amazed 🥺
And the Kizaru shot was also fucking cool in the opening.
Surprised at the lack of Bonney in it though, makes me think it probably won't be there for more than 13 episodes or so, despite the opening showing later stuff such as Garp vs Kuzan.

Got to Water 7 on my reread, this really is an incredible arc. Just Oda firing on all cylinders here for plot, characterization, and worldbuilding.

Got to Water 7 on my reread, this really is an incredible arc. Just Oda firing on all cylinders here for plot, characterization, and worldbuilding.
Imo it'll forever stays One Piece's best arc.

It just had a very very special mood. Tension all around : the crew falling down, the rain, the sea going up, the conspiracy story...
And then Enies Lobby just goes up and up and up, both in tension and hope.

Oda has never mastered tension as good as in Water 7, even in his best work post Enies Lobby (which are imo Marineford and Whole Cake Island). Truly a very special arc. I don't consider One Piece as my favorite shonen, but Water 7 clearly is a contender for best shonen arc ever imo.

They've already started. It's kinda unfortunate since they only have up to Marineford before then. So people watching go straight from there to Egghead. Timeskip indeed.

Netflix is all in on the One Piece stuff, but they should really be working on getting more of the anime on there at least.

Fans: Shouldn't Franky get to do something cool in Egghead?
Oda: Understood, how about him getting zapped by Kizaru!

That spread of Saturn getting punched in his face though :D

Fans: Shouldn't Franky get to do something cool in Egghead?
Oda: Understood, how about him getting zapped by Kizaru!

That spread of Saturn getting punched in his face though :D
My boy Franky better get an upgrade before this arc is over! It would be such a wasted opportunity if he doesn't!

Man the latest manga chapters have been fire. Looking forward towards the final stretch of Egghead.

Egghead has been a weird arc for me so far, as I mostly found the stuff that didn't happen on the island more interesting but this is shaping up to be a cool finale at least.

Egghead has been a weird arc for me so far, as I mostly found the stuff that didn't happen on the island more interesting but this is shaping up to be a cool finale at least.
I straight up think that the thing happening outside Egghead, and Kuma's flashback, are saving this arc.

Really not vibing with the pacing at all. It finally became exciting once Kizaru landed on the island, then it was followed by the wonderful flashback, first two chapters post flashback were fantastic, and the weird pacing is back again now lol

What was the point of that mystery last chapter of "where is Luffy ??!!" if the answer was just "nevermind, he's still eating, only elsewhere lol". Bunch of really weird choices like that. Or Sanji moving back and forth this chapter and ultimately doing nothing. Kizaru's internal struggle going up and up for a few chapters, and now it seems like it's going down as it isn't mentionned at all this chapter. Reaaaally weird pacing.

I straight up think that the thing happening outside Egghead, and Kuma's flashback, are saving this arc.

Really not vibing with the pacing at all. It finally became exciting once Kizaru landed on the island, then it was followed by the wonderful flashback, first two chapters post flashback were fantastic, and the weird pacing is back again now lol

What was the point of that mystery last chapter of "where is Luffy ??!!" if the answer was just "nevermind, he's still eating, only elsewhere lol". Bunch of really weird choices like that. Or Sanji moving back and forth this chapter and ultimately doing nothing. Kizaru's internal struggle going up and up for a few chapters, and now it seems like it's going down as it isn't mentionned at all this chapter. Reaaaally weird pacing.
The lack of a payoff to Kizaru's reluctance is the point, I think.

He feels bad for Vegapunk, Bonney, and Kuma, but at the end of the day he's a government stooge through and through. He's not as cold and self-righteous as Akainu, but he doesn't have Kuzan's sense of justice and rebellious streak either, he just follows orders, even when he doesn't want to.

The lack of a payoff to Kizaru's reluctance is the point, I think.

He feels bad for Vegapunk, Bonney, and Kuma, but at the end of the day he's a government stooge through and through. He's not as cold and self-righteous as Akainu, but he doesn't have Kuzan's sense of justice and rebellious streak either, he just follows orders, even when he doesn't want to.
I think it'll come. Too many elements, both in flashback and post flashback, points to this development for Kizaru. I just think it'll take longer than what I thought.
Now I just wonder if he'll act as if nothing happened (the current situation could point to it : it's now just Saturn alone on the island with the Strawhats and their allies, and Kizaru. No Marine witnesses.) or if he'll fully turn his back to the Marine.

Anime watchers:

I have a friend who has a couple of 9yo kids who want to watch the dub and he knew I was familiar with One Piece (I've read a big chunk of it) so he asked me. I said it would probably be fine for them to watch, with the usual cautions about violence/horniness but there was one scene in the Alabasta arc that really disappointed me where Vivi's dad peeps on her in the baths, which is played for a joke in the manga, and is some of the most despicable shit I've seen in mainstream manga. That would have been cut from the dub, right? Surely. Just want to check.

Anime watchers:

I have a friend who has a couple of 9yo kids who want to watch the dub and he knew I was familiar with One Piece (I've read a big chunk of it) so he asked me. I said it would probably be fine for them to watch, with the usual cautions about violence/horniness but there was one scene in the Alabasta arc that really disappointed me where Vivi's dad peeps on her in the baths, which is played for a joke in the manga, and is some of the most despicable shit I've seen in mainstream manga. That would have been cut from the dub, right? Surely. Just want to check.
The dub is uncut. Anything that's in the anime is there too. I'd have to check to see if that scene is in the anime as it's been awhile since I watched Alabasta but I very much imagine it is.

Not me rooting for that mofo Vegapunk finally being stabbed by Saturn. Luffy laughing his ass off at the same time because he just turned into Gear 5 is the icing on the cake lmao.

I just can't find myself to have any sympathy toward Vegapunk. His character will never recover to that one time he got mad at Dragon who rightfully called him out on working with the WG. Especially since it was RIGHT AFTER Ohara's genocide. Dude had the nerve to get mad at being called out for working with those murderers while coming to pay his respect to Ohara's people lmao.

No more RAWs on Wednesday, end of an era.

I loved reading early spoilers on Monday/Tuesday, looking at the Raws on Wednesday, reading the unofficial translastion on Thursday, and reading the official one on Sunday. Made for a week full of One Piece discussions and speculations on no break weeks.

I for one welcome the death of leaks for at least a couple weeks until someone else picks it up. Hate getting spoiled on the new chapter on social media because I'm apparently an idiot for waiting the official release :v

I loved reading early spoilers on Monday/Tuesday, looking at the Raws on Wednesday, reading the unofficial translastion on Thursday, and reading the official one on Sunday. Made for a week full of One Piece discussions and speculations on no break weeks.
Imagine it won't be long before someone else picks up the slack. I've been reading OP for 15 years and there's always leaks.

I for one welcome the death of leaks for at least a couple weeks until someone else picks it up. Hate getting spoiled on the new chapter on social media because I'm apparently an idiot for waiting the official release :v
Longstanding consequence of prioritizing print media, I fear. Shonen Jump+ series don't leak since they're digital only.

This happens every few years. It's more like the pause of an era.

Back
Top Bottom