• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

Mekanos

おっす!
Pronouns
he/they
rWNQY1I.png

This is the One Piece thread, so sayeth me. Talk about the manga, talk about the anime, talk about anything involving the series about the silly rubber boy and his pirate crew.

Oda has recently confirmed the series will be moving towards its final arc in the manga:

One Piece Film Red is out... depending on your territory:

Lots of things happening!

SPOILER POLICY: Please use spoiler tags for leaks/rumors/etc. Tags are not needed when the chapter is officially released on the Viz/Shonen Jump app.

Last edited:
Chapter 1057

Wano is finally over! An arc with lots of ups and downs, but I can't wait to see where the crew is going next, everything has been leading to the Kaido confrontation for over a decade now. Now we have no idea where the crew is gonna end up.

Pour one out for Yamato fans though

Thank God wano is over, thank God Yamato is staying there 🙏

Love momo tho, great ending interaction with him and Luffy. Apparently they put out an official map that suggests Law is going to Elbaf, Kidd to Fullalead, and the Straw Hats to White Beards hometown which should be interesting.

Don't like the girl in Film Red from what I've seen but One Piece films in theaters are always hilarious because of the hooting and hollering fans so I'm definitely going to see it

Loved Wano for the most part despite its somewhat anticlimactic conclusion but I'm ready to move on now. I wish Yamato had joined the SH on their voyage but in retrospect I'm glad he didn't. Oda should have introduced him much earlier (not like there was no time for that...) and fleshed him out more. But alas...

Loved Wano for the most part despite its somewhat anticlimactic conclusion but I'm ready to move on now. I wish Yamato had joined the SH on their voyage but in retrospect I'm glad he didn't. Oda should have introduced him much earlier (not like there was no time for that...) and fleshed him out more. But alas...
Pretty much agreed.
Fine with Yamato not joining but the reason given seems borderline stupid and imo the whole thing was kind of poorly written. The Post-Wano stuff in general felt weird. Still loved it and super excited for what comes next of course.

PS you stole my title thingy OP 😔

I think Wano was fun. I think how people react on the last chapter is a bit weird if you look at One Piece overall it is clear what is being meant with the whole Kurozumi pun.

Yamato not joining is surprising as I expected them to join. Then again, I am also not sad they didn't. But it would have been fun to have the Child of Kaido be part of the Straw Hat crew (which still is possible in a later date I guess). With One Piece I wait to have criticism on an arc as I am curious on the future of One Piece. One Piece is such slow serie that most of the time things will be mentioned in a later stadium. I used to be less of a fan of Skypiea but recently I rewatched it and it was way better now I know more about the world of One Piece as well. Wano overall was great. The only thing I didn't found necessary was the shoehorned Shanks for the RED movie. I am curious what the next adventure will be and if the Straw Hats will gain a new nakama at all, or at some point. We didn't get a chapter named the 9th or 10th yet like with the other Straw Hats either.

Last edited:
Loved Wano, but very excited to see where things go next. The huge saga that started with Punk Hazard is only now finally over, it's kinda crazy to think about.

Glad we're moving on, but at the same time, I miss Law already lol
Apparently they put out an official map that suggests Law is going to Elbaf, Kidd to Fullalead, and the Straw Hats to White Beards hometown which should be interesting.
sad Usopp noises

You did him dirty in Wano, Oda. Give my man some spotlight

Buggy's rise to power is funny and all, but just remember that Crocodile went from getting his ass beat by Pre-Gears Luffy to sorta obtaining partial Emperor status. The wonders prison did for that man... When did he even learn Haki? It had to have been after Marineford.

Also, I just think it's amusing that Galdino went from: working for Crocodile -> getting fed to a giant gator by Crocodile -> saved by Sanji and sent later sent to prison -> ends up playing a crucial role in helping 2.5 future Emperors stage a massive prison break -> joins a Warlord crew -> now working for Crocodile, again. What a journey just to end up back to where he started.

Buggy's rise to power is funny and all, but just remember that Crocodile went from getting his ass beat by Pre-Gears Luffy to sorta obtaining partial Emperor status. The wonders prison did for that man... When did he even learn Haki? It had to have been after Marineford.

Also, I just think it's amusing that Galdino went from: working for Crocodile -> getting fed to a giant gator by Crocodile -> saved by Sanji and sent later sent to prison -> ends up playing a crucial role in helping 2.5 future Emperors stage a massive prison break -> joins a Warlord crew -> now working for Crocodile, again. What a journey just to end up back to where he started.
Crocodile is the best villain in the series and I'm unbelievably hyped to see him again after a whopping 12 years. Also, saying he "got his ass beat" by Luffy is burying the lede a bit; he beat Luffy twice (the only villain to beat Luffy more than once until Kaido) and Luffy barely won their third encounter. He also took over an entire country and had at one point traveled to the New World before the start of the series; he definitely wasn't a small time player.

I think we actually had an ST already. Though I suppose it died a while ago
Ah shit we did, I looked it up. @Vantell if you want we can merge them, didn't mean to steal your thunder (yahahahaha)

Crocodile is the best villain in the series and I'm unbelievably hyped to see him again after a whopping 12 years. Also, saying he "got his ass beat" by Luffy is burying the lede a bit; he beat Luffy twice (the only villain to beat Luffy more than once until Kaido) and Luffy barely won their third encounter. He also took over an entire country and had at one point traveled to the New World before the start of the series; he definitely wasn't a small time player.
I just can't get over how wack the power scaling is lol. Alabasta Luffy's punches shouldn't be able to even scratch lower level minions in the New World, but they were enough to be beat Crocodile

Like, Croc clashed with Doflamingo during the war, the guy who would later crush Post-Skip Luffy with ease before Gear Four came out. That's hilarious, this man is all over the place. Obviously, I can't fault Oda for not planning all this stuff out perfectly, because holy shit, Alabasta was a long time ago. I like Crocodile, I just think it's funny looking back on it all

Ah shit we did, I looked it up. @Vantell if you want we can merge them, didn't mean to steal your thunder (yahahahaha)

We can merge them. I wasnt too active anymore in the thread so I dont mind you taking "control", Captain :p

I just can't get over how wack the power scaling is lol. Alabasta Luffy's punches shouldn't be able to even scratch lower level minions in the New World, but they were enough to be beat Crocodile

Like, Croc clashed with Doflamingo during the war, the guy who would later crush Post-Skip Luffy with ease before Gear Four came out. That's hilarious, this man is all over the place. Obviously, I can't fault Oda for not planning all this stuff out perfectly, because holy shit, Alabasta was a long time ago. I like Crocodile, I just think it's funny looking back on it all
I just take it as getting his ass kicked so much by a 30M berry no name pirate probably humbled him a loooot, and he went on to train very hard along with Mr1 during the 2 years time skip.

And I imagine Doffy probably wasn't taking the war too seriously, like Mihawk, they were just having fun.

But yeah, the best way is not to think too much about the power scaling, especially in a manga that started as very very silly and was supposed to last just 5 years lol, Alabasta/Crocodile is just when things started to go crazy in term of power and I think even back then Oda didn't imagine it would go on for more than 20 more years and that the power of characters would reach so much high. The more the manga last, the more the characters have to become more and more powerful because you constantly need to add even more characters lol
Can't imagine that even Doflamingo back in Jaya was imagined by Oda to end up so powerful when Luffy would fight him !

I'm thinking of taking a break to let a good amount of chapters build up before returning to the series, though its getting harder to avoid spoilers these days.

Wano disappointed me more than anything in One Piece up to this point. It's probably one of my least favorite arcs in the series, I found it hard to care about much going on throughout the whole thing and couldn't care less about the Samurai, Momonosuke or Wano itself. Nika was the saving grace of the ending for me and without it I have NO idea how I'd feel about the series now.

I'll definitely see One Piece through to the end after coming so far but Whole Cake is the only arc I've really enjoyed post-time skip. I'm much fonder of simple, straightforward storytelling and the world and characters have just gotten so big at this point that too many elements fail to get the appropriate attention anymore. I used to love most of the crewmembers but only like maybe 3 or 4 of them now.

I don't mean to sound as miserable about it as I do, there're still things I like of course, but it's a massive shift from how much of a fan I was a decade ago.

Wano had some of the best chapters and panels in the whole series. I can't wait to see where Oda takes One Piece from here.
Really exciting to not know what comes next.

I'm thinking of taking a break to let a good amount of chapters build up before returning to the series, though its getting harder to avoid spoilers these days.

Wano disappointed me more than anything in One Piece up to this point. It's probably one of my least favorite arcs in the series, I found it hard to care about much going on throughout the whole thing and couldn't care less about the Samurai, Momonosuke or Wano itself. Nika was the saving grace of the ending for me and without it I have NO idea how I'd feel about the series now.

I'll definitely see One Piece through to the end after coming so far but Whole Cake is the only arc I've really enjoyed post-time skip. I'm much fonder of simple, straightforward storytelling and the world and characters have just gotten so big at this point that too many elements fail to get the appropriate attention anymore. I used to love most of the crewmembers but only like maybe 3 or 4 of them now.

I don't mean to sound as miserable about it as I do, there're still things I like of course, but it's a massive shift from how much of a fan I was a decade ago.
For me Wano was a land of contrasts. There were definitely way too many extra characters and subplots, and Oda dropped the ball on what could have been an interesting story with Zoro, given that he hasn't had much to do character-wise since the timeskip. I think hinging much of the emotions of the arc on Oden, a likeable but somewhat obnoxious character that we were told is basically the most awesome guy ever who just happened to hang out with the world's biggest pirates, was clumsy of Oda. The first half of Wano, in general, feels like a lot of waiting for something to happen.

However, I really loved all the Whitebeard and Roger stuff, with Roger's laugh being a top 5 panel in the series. Luffy training to use Advanced Conqueror's Haki in prison was really cool. The raid worked well as a payoff to a solid decade+ of storytelling. Oda really sold Kaido as an unbeatable villain, and seeing stuff like Jinbei come to save the crew, Law and Kidd working together to defeat Big Mom, Momo actually standing up to Kaido, it was all very satisfying. And the Gear 5 reveal was legendary. By the end of the arc I was burning through chapters like crazy because it was so exciting.

So while there's definitely a lot of bloat and unfocused storytelling in Wano, there's so many moments that I would put up there with the best in the series. I imagine it'll continue to be a polarizing arc, but I think overall, I've enjoyed each timeskip arc more than the last; Dressrosa was such a slog that I put off the manga for almost a decade, having only caught up last month. So I can see if someone read Wano weekly, it would be tedious, but I really enjoyed it in the binge. I'd say it's probably in my favorite 5 arcs in the series, but closer to the bottom than the top.

At any rate, with Wano behind us, I'm very excited about where the series is going from here. A lot of interesting setups and we're closing in on the end.

I just take it as getting his ass kicked so much by a 30M berry no name pirate probably humbled him a loooot, and he went on to train very hard along with Mr1 during the 2 years time skip.

And I imagine Doffy probably wasn't taking the war too seriously, like Mihawk, they were just having fun.

But yeah, the best way is not to think too much about the power scaling, especially in a manga that started as very very silly and was supposed to last just 5 years lol, Alabasta/Crocodile is just when things started to go crazy in term of power and I think even back then Oda didn't imagine it would go on for more than 20 more years and that the power of characters would reach so much high. The more the manga last, the more the characters have to become more and more powerful because you constantly need to add even more characters lol
Can't imagine that even Doflamingo back in Jaya was imagined by Oda to end up so powerful when Luffy would fight him !
Oda has also said that the Warlords extended the run of the series, since originally it was just going to be WG + Emperors. I imagine we would still hit places like Skypeia and Wano in the original five year plan, but overall it would be very different. Probably no Void Century mystery either, since that was first set up in Alabasta, and Robin didn't have any prototype in the original plans whereas almost every other current Straw Hat does, including Jinbei:

i8pqtin.png

For me Wano was a land of contrasts. There were definitely way too many extra characters and subplots, and Oda dropped the ball on what could have been an interesting story with Zoro, given that he hasn't had much to do character-wise since the timeskip. I think hinging much of the emotions of the arc on Oden, a likeable but somewhat obnoxious character that we were told is basically the most awesome guy ever who just happened to hang out with the world's biggest pirates, was clumsy of Oda. The first half of Wano, in general, feels like a lot of waiting for something to happen.

However, I really loved all the Whitebeard and Roger stuff, with Roger's laugh being a top 5 panel in the series. Luffy training to use Advanced Conqueror's Haki in prison was really cool. The raid worked well as a payoff to a solid decade+ of storytelling. Oda really sold Kaido as an unbeatable villain, and seeing stuff like Jinbei come to save the crew, Law and Kidd working together to defeat Big Mom, Momo actually standing up to Kaido, it was all very satisfying. And the Gear 5 reveal was legendary. By the end of the arc I was burning through chapters like crazy because it was so exciting.

So while there's definitely a lot of bloat and unfocused storytelling in Wano, there's so many moments that I would put up there with the best in the series. I imagine it'll continue to be a polarizing arc, but I think overall, I've enjoyed each timeskip arc more than the last; Dressrosa was such a slog that I put off the manga for almost a decade, having only caught up last month. So I can see if someone read Wano weekly, it would be tedious, but I really enjoyed it in the binge. I'd say it's probably in my favorite 5 arcs in the series, but closer to the bottom than the top.

At any rate, with Wano behind us, I'm very excited about where the series is going from here. A lot of interesting setups and we're closing in on the end.

Oda has also said that the Warlords extended the run of the series, since originally it was just going to be WG + Emperors. I imagine we would still hit places like Skypeia and Wano in the original five year plan, but overall it would be very different. Probably no Void Century mystery either, since that was first set up in Alabasta, and Robin didn't have any prototype in the original plans whereas almost every other current Straw Hat does, including Jinbei:

i8pqtin.png
Oh wow, I was just thinking about this artwork the other day, but I've never seen this version with proto-Jinbe before

Crazy how Oda had him planned the whole time, even before changing those two on the left into Franky and Robin. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this point, but still

It's funny how Oda repurposed the little leprauchaun into Merry's spirit. When I saw that concept art, it had been a looooong time since I saw Skypiea. When I redid a complete re read of One Piece not so long ago, I was shocked when we see the little spirit repairing Merry with its hammer at Skypiea, "it's the guy from the concept art that was replaced by Franky !!" Lol
I wonder if Oda still had in plan to had this little fella when he started Skypiea ? Or if Franky/Water 7 was already planned.

And changing the herborist into Robin is definitely the best change that happened to the crew from that proto crew image. I find it fascinating how Oda repurposed this guy's passion for flowers by making Robin's power "flower" based, with her arms sprouting like flowers.

Just saw the Film Red!

It was pretty good, but dang Uta's focals are absolutely INSANE. The range on her is just... wow.

The film itself could've easily been an awesome jrpg tbh. XD
I liked the movie in theory, it just didnt hit me as hard emotionally, which is weird because this is One Piece we're talking about.

Maybe I just need to digest the movie for a bit longer, but it was definitely a good one!

Edit:
Yuuup its hitting me now. XD

Last edited:
I don't want to get my hopes up, but that theory of Carrot being a stowaway on the Sunny again is looking kinda good ngl

Oda, please

Stuff's really happening up in One Piece as of late huh

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have clarified: please use spoiler tags if you're taking about leaked chapters. No tags needed for official releases. I'll edit this into the OP.

Not as bad as I imagined but idk I guess the few lines we heard were odd. I know early Zoro is a bit more serious (versus current) but here he seems kinda edgy.

I'm still pretty optimistic!
I like the cast, and am not going in with an expectation of a 1:1 adaptation, so I'm just hoping for a good time!
Trailer and cg looked good as well.

Luffy is just a hard character to nail down, and I think this is a nice try at getting him right.
His real personality might have been a tad too tonally difficult to make it work in a liveaction methinks.
But yeah, I hope its fun, if not, atleast we got something!

No skin off my back basically.
I'm not really interested in the negativity people have against live actions (atleast give it a fair chance before writing it ALL of is what I mean), you can just pretend it doesnt exist if you don't like it and still enjoy the OG medium. /shrug

I think it looked good until the stretched cgi arm. It is bad even while the scene being in complete darkness. I don‘t know if they could even fix it, it will always look uncanny, stuff like that only really works when animated and a more cartoony look.

Bumping an old ass thread with this

It looks… well, what do you all think

Hmm.... honestly it looks kind of cheap but other than that its pretty much what I expected from a live action One Piece show.

The dialogue shows it has definitely got some of that Marvel movie self-awareness where they poke fun at attack names, but I was completely expecting from that the start. In order to make the goofiness of the series work for new audiences, they'd have to make it relatable to what people normally see. And seeing as how Marvel made Guardians, which managed to make the silliness of a talking racoon and tree creature work, that's the formula they should be emulating, even if it's less earnest than the manga.

The real question of whether or not the show succeeds for me is if they manage to make the emotional and tragic beats of the story still work.

The real question of whether or not the show succeeds for me is if they manage to make the emotional and tragic beats of the story still work.
Yeah, I’ve always said this show will live or die on whether or not they nail this moment:

If they can’t make grown adults cry when Luffy puts his hat on Nami and walks to fight Arlong, pack it up

I'll try to watch it. Seems kinda cringe and I don't know what's up with that yellow filter, looks kinda ugly. I get it, dawn of a new day, of a new era, Romance Dawn, yada yada. Still, doesn't look good and yellow just isn't a color that I associate with One Piece.
Buggy looks so good though lol. Zoro and Sanji are so bad ass too.

I just hope they understand the emotional tone of One Piece. Yeah it's funny, yeah it's silly, yeah it's epic. But mostly it's very heartfelt, earnest and it can be moving in a very, very simplistic way. It's never too much, it feels very genuine.

I'm not the biggest One Piece fan out there and I haven't watched the anime in like 5 years but man, the more I watch the trailer for the live action the more I can't wait. I really think it looks so cool and I can't wait to see a lot of the awesome moments from early One Piece shown in live action. I can't imagine how they'll do some of the crazier stuff.

It's even got me thinking about starting over the anime again and trying to watch up to current.

I'm not the biggest One Piece fan out there and I haven't watched the anime in like 5 years but man, the more I watch the trailer for the live action the more I can't wait. I really think it looks so cool and I can't wait to see a lot of the awesome moments from early One Piece shown in live action. I can't imagine how they'll do some of the crazier stuff.

It's even got me thinking about starting over the anime again and trying to watch up to current.
Yeah I'm definitely excited to see how they adapt the Mihawk vs Zoro part for instance.
And the then declaration of Zoro toward Luffy, telling him he'll never lose a fight again, is the first One Piece moment that makes me emotional. So that'll definitely be my make or break moment for me.

Oh here we go, I'm so excited to see this in action

Not a fan of this one, looks like DBZ when the whole point is it's supposed to look like Popeye instead of DBZ. I am excited to eventually see it in live action though 😎

The Netflix trailer is definitely better than the first one but I think acting and dialogue could still be an albatross around the show’s neck.

Second trailer definitely looks better than the first one, it actually makes me kinda hopeful? Some acting, especially Nami unfortunately, looks a bit stiff but overall they at least seem to have gotten the tone of the source material down well enough (like that banter between Sanji and Zoro, Nami being the straight woman of the team, silly but also serious when it needs to be). Also Buggy looks terrifying and I'm all for it :LOL:

In other news, a one-shot Manga by Oda is getting an anime adapation by a new studio lead by the director of JJk and God of Highschool:

The initial live-action teaser got me inspired to start rewatching One Piece and I've gotta say I'm loving it all over again. Just finished Drum Island and I'd forgotten how good the show was. It's been about 10+ years since I first watched early One Piece and I think I'm enjoying the storytelling much more this time compared to when I was younger when a lot of it I think, was more about how cool things were and the fights. So many things I'd forgotten about as well which are so fun to rediscover. As someone who isn't the biggest fan of post-time skip though I am a little worried that the further I get in the less I'll enjoy it. I'm really liking the smaller crew and more focused storylines and I know especially post-time skip the scale becomes a lot grander.

Also as someone who initially watched the 800 or so episodes that I did subbed, I've been watching it dubbed this time and my god I love the dub so much. Really really good performances and the voices match all the characters so well imo, I think I actually enjoy it more than the sub.

Also also as someone who was already impressed with the live action teaser trailer, I think the full trailer for the live action looks incredible and I cannot wait for the full season to come out. I'm praying for it to be a huge success and to blow up so we get more seasons.

Gotta wait till Friday to start, but I'm immensley excited for it.
I thought pulling it off in Live Action was impossible, but just I think they might just do it. I think we're in for something really special if they can nail the emotional moments, and pull off condensing the story in a good way (Which isnt really too hard for East Blue as it will be for later arcs)

Time to get the snacks

I think the live action looks great, my only concern is I want it to keep going for many seasons and I just don't see how that's possible.
I'll be delighted if we can even make it to the end of Alabasta.

I think the live action looks great, my only concern is I want it to keep going for many seasons and I just don't see how that's possible.
I'll be delighted if we can even make it to the end of Alabasta.
I think the big saving grace for future seasons is that they might not need as high budgets as this one.
Shooting on water is mad expensive (and it's the reason Pirates 4 was the most expensive movie ever made for a long time), and they have to build entirely new sets for every episode because we're hopping to different islands every episode or two.

In future seasons, that wont be as big an issue because when we get to the longer arcs, they'll be on the same island for multiple episodes, maybe a whole season. They'll require more CG as the locations and characters get whackier, but thats managable.

I'm just kinda worried how they'd adapt Chopper.. or Franky for that matter. Not that we're anywhere close to any of those two, just wondering. Or rather how to do Chopper that he doesn't end up as nightmare fuel :LOL:

I'm just kinda worried how they'd adapt Chopper.. or Franky for that matter. Not that we're anywhere close to any of those two, just wondering. Or rather how to do Chopper that he doesn't end up as nightmare fuel :LOL:
If this does well, we're much closer to Chopper (and Robin!) than you think...

There's something about the way these trailers have been edited that really bothers me, doesn't fit OP tonally at all. Which is weird because the actual footage looks like the most faithful adaptation ever. As cynical as I am about it, I just want to finally see it now.

Back
Top Bottom