• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

Well, i gotta eat my words, the live action adaption is actually good.

They nailed the main cast (although Sanji has to little screentime to fully tell)
They (mostly) nailed the support characters like Zeff and Garp
The (mostly) nailed the enemies.

Especially Buggy, holy shit the actor carries the Buggy episoded hard.

Few things that irked me, though. First, the pacing. You can say the manga has the pacing of a snail on weed, the adaption almost rushes through the story.
But i can understand that doing stuff is expensive and that after Cowboy Bebop Netflix wanted to be a bit more careful with the budget.

Second, some optical changes i don't get. They gave Garp his stupid dog hat, they put a wig (or made the hair) of Helmeppos actor as dumb as it was in the manga/anime. Put on a nose prop on Buggy's actor that he constantly has to wear.
Why the heck didn't they give Usopp at least a nose prop to make his nose a little longer? They even went so far and gave his personal Jolly Roger a small nose.
Same for Sanji, why no curled eyebrows?

If they're not willing to go this "far", i can only wonder how they plan to adapt Franky, or if it really runs this long, Jinbe. These actors won't be able to just tell them "Oh btw. no face props, kay?". (Brooke and Chopper are left out 'cause they need to be CGI'd to even work at all)

And finally, yeah you can guess it, the Fishmen.
Look, i know GCI is expensive. And it's rather impressive what the prop people were able to come up with on those actors.
But they simply look bad and goofy. And due to the props, all their movements were somewhat stiff, and they had partially CGI the movements, attacks and fights to begin with.
I hope Netflix ups the budget that the showrunners can go for CGI Fishmen and Merfolk in future seasons.

---

E: Also, cool little tidbit:

The german dub uses (mostly) the same VAs that the anime does. There's a few where i'm not sure about, like Zoro or Corby ... but that could be me. Zoro had a VA change sometime after ... i think Skypia because the original VA passed away after an accident.

Last edited:
Why the heck didn't they give Usopp at least a nose prop to make his nose a little longer? They even went so far and gave his personal Jolly Roger a small nose.
The optics of giving a black man a cartoonishly long nose probably wouldn't fly, or at least it was a potential controversy they wanted to avoid

It would also make the kissing scene with Kaya practically unfilmable lmao

With Sanji the effort to put in the eyebrows probably wouldn't be worth it, for both Usopp and Sanji they'd have to do makeup for every shoot and that is more taxing for a main character than one that only appears in a couple of episodes

Also CG Fishmen would be insanely expensive, there's no way you could have a character like Arlong who is in a huge portion of the show as entirely CG, it just wouldn't work for TV. Plus the makeup is charming, practical effects are cool and good, it's very much in the style of tokusatsu and it fits the series just fine

This is why I unironically advocate for Chopper to be a puppet

Well, i gotta eat my words, the live action adaption is actually good.

They nailed the main cast (although Sanji has to little screentime to fully tell)
They (mostly) nailed the support characters like Zeff and Garp
The (mostly) nailed the enemies.

Especially Buggy, holy shit the actor carries the Buggy episoded hard.

Few things that irked me, though. First, the pacing. You can say the manga has the pacing of a snail on weed, the adaption almost rushes through the story.
But i can understand that doing stuff is expensive and that after Cowboy Bebop Netflix wanted to be a bit more careful with the budget.

Second, some optical changes i don't get. They gave Garp his stupid dog hat, they put a wig (or made the hair) of Helmeppos actor as dumb as it was in the manga/anime. Put on a nose prop on Buggy's actor that he constantly has to wear.

If they're not willing to go this "far", i can only wonder how they plan to adapt Franky, or if it really runs this long, Jinbe. These actors won't be able to just tell them "Oh btw. no face props, kay?". (Brooke and Chopper are left out 'cause they need to be CGI'd to even work at all)

And finally, yeah you can guess it, the Fishmen.
Look, i know GCI is expensive. And it's rather impressive what the prop people were able to come up with on those actors.
But they simply look bad and goofy. And due to the props, all their movements were somewhat stiff, and they had partially CGI the movements, attacks and fights to begin with.
I hope Netflix ups the budget that the showrunners can go for CGI Fishmen and Merfolk in future seasons.

---

E: Also, cool little tidbit:

The german dub uses (mostly) the same VAs that the anime does. There's a few where i'm not sure about, like Zoro or Corby ... but that could be me. Zoro had a VA change sometime after ... i think Skypia because the original VA passed away after an accident.
As Mek has said, I'm pretty sure people would have been (quite frankly rightly) more upset at putting a black man with a misshapen long nose than people who are currently upset that Usopp's nose isn't long.

And quite frankly, Franky and Jinbei are such "future problems" that it's not worth it to panic right now over it. They still need to get Chopper right and make the Logia powers look cool. If they can do that, then we can worry about the future.

And...nah, I'm tired of MCU CGI slapfights. Keeping the fishmen humans with makeup is good. LA Arlong is intimidating even with him being smaller than his counterpart. That's what's important. Not him being 10 feet tall.

OT: Something I do find funny is that episodes that fans of the manga tend to rate lower, people who don't know the canon seem to like. I've seen many people say that Syrup Village was worse because it cut the other pirates and the children but then I go see people who had no idea what Syrup Village was say it was the best episodes because of the slasher horror vibes.

The optics of giving a black man a cartoonishly long nose probably wouldn't fly, or at least it was a potential controversy they wanted to avoid

It would also make the kissing scene with Kaya practically unfilmable lmao

With Sanji the effort to put in the eyebrows probably wouldn't be worth it, for both Usopp and Sanji they'd have to do makeup for every shoot and that is more taxing for a main character than one that only appears in a couple of episodes

Also CG Fishmen would be insanely expensive, there's no way you could have a character like Arlong who is in a huge portion of the show as entirely CG, it just wouldn't work for TV. Plus the makeup is charming, practical effects are cool and good, it's very much in the style of tokusatsu and it fits the series just fine

It's not like he's being shown in a "good light" so far. Being a troublemaker all his life, hiding under tables, trying to run away constantly. Being on the floor puking his insides out after boozing too much despite Zoro's warnings.
There's some other stuff, but it's not something i would want to discuss.

About too much work for the props for a main char ... i seriously doubt that Luffy's actor has a scar in exact the same position as Luffy. ;D
Same will be for Zoro losing his eye in the progress of the Grandline, or even his chest scars he now has after the duel with Mihawk.

And i'm not disagreeing that it's expensive to do CGI for the Fishmen, but lets be honest, it's kinda going to be necessary if the story reaches the point where more outlandish looking ones appear.
That the showrunners left out Hatchan in Arlongs part is already somewhat problematic. Especially since he has another kinda important role right before the Timeskip.
And Fishmen like Vander Decken for example later on also can't just get cut.

It's not like he's being shown in a "good light" so far. Being a troublemaker all his life, hiding under tables, trying to run away constantly. Being on the floor puking his insides out after boozing too much despite Zoro's warnings.
???

This is a completely unrelated tangent lol

Yeah, I'm firmly in team practical and makeup. You can tell that they don't really have an excessive budget and have to use CG sparingly. I can't see the fishmen look good with what they're working with.

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

If practical stuff and puppet play was so inexpensive, Netflix wouldn't have killed The Dark Crystal after one season. ;_;
Still angry about that one.

I actually like that they didn't make Sanji's eyebrow curly, or Usopp's nose long. They're neat physical traits in manga/anime, but they just don't work in live action.

it's kinda going to be necessary if the story reaches the point where more outlandish looking ones appear
I just don't think Netflix is going to shell out for the CGI budget here, so they'll be more likely to shuffle events around, cut characters and rewrite stuff. They already cut Hatchan, I'm sure they'll find a way to move the story along.

Syrup Village was worse because it cut the other pirates and the children but then I go see people who had no idea what Syrup Village was say it was the best episodes because of the slasher horror vibes
Just typical source material readers having beef with adaptations missing stuff. It is what it is. For what it's worth I like what the LA did with Syrup Village arc.

I dont think Usopp having a long nose has any correlation with racist imagery, just a Pinocchio reference. But honestly, im fine with it not being there. Its one of those things im sure would have just been a pain in the ass to maintain anyways.

Im more bothered that they made Usopp so clumsy with the cannon. Usopp is an excellent sniper and that was a perfectly good moment to show his skill right there. Actually in general i feel like a lot of his best moments were robbed from him.

I think Syrup village was always supposed to have Slasher vibes. Considering Kuro's motif of the Krueger claws and the night sky. But a lot of those just never translated to adaptations.

I think of the scene with him on the Navy ship. In the manga that is a pretty creepy scene that the anime kinda butchered.

In general the anime makes Kuro and co look like jokes especually with all their lame color choices early on. The fight is set during the bright afternoon, when it probably could be set at dawn. Not to mention how stilted the animation is at this point of the series.

The only one who came out of the Syrup village arc fine was Jango.

Last edited:
I just don't think Netflix is going to shell out for the CGI budget here, so they'll be more likely to shuffle events around, cut characters and rewrite stuff. They already cut Hatchan, I'm sure they'll find a way to move the story along.

Just typical source material readers having beef with adaptations missing stuff. It is what it is. For what it's worth I like what the LA did with Syrup Village arc.

I feel like Netflix should be comitted to see the whole series through, if it's successful enough. (I'll give them this excuse)
But if they already feel like doing 4 or 5 seasons and then call it a day, there's other popular animes they could've chosen for a live action adaption.

Game of Thrones showed what happens if the showrunners / production company feels like not wanting to continue somehow. Okay, in that specific case it's also a factor of the show outrunning the original base material, but i think it's well known that a lot of the shitty things were due to the showrunners being fed up.

About missing stuff in the adaption:

Hi, as a former reader of the manga (dropped out during Whole Cake Island cause pacing went on my nerves) and former watcher of the anime (up to Thriller Bark), i am proud to say:

Syrup was made better without the kids and the dragged out things. And sorry for saying, but it was also better without Jacko.

Reminder, Netflix only foots part of the bill. This series isnt recquired to stay there if they dont wanna shell out the funds. There's always Amazon.

I really dont see this show going all the way past the timeskip though. At least not without a recast. At the pace of, what, a season every 2 years? (Nevermind the strikes delaying that) its a matter of time before our main cast signifigantly ages out of these roles.

I really dont see this show going all the way past the timeskip though. At least not without a recast. At the pace of, what, a season every 2 years? (Nevermind the strikes delaying that) its a matter of time before our main cast signifigantly ages out of these roles
That and the manga isn't even finished yet. If the live action continues, I can see it slowly becoming more and more distinct from its roots.

I feel like Netflix should be comitted to see the whole series through, if it's successful enough
They're going to keep the show running as long as it's successful, I agree with that. But I believe they will keep diverging from the manga, based on what makes sense for live action. The only thing I see the show being adamant about being faithful to is completing the Straw Hat crew, but one has to wonder how they would do Chopper or Brooke.

Reminder, Netflix only foots part of the bill. This series isnt recquired to stay there if they dont wanna shell out the funds. There's always Amazon.

I really dont see this show going all the way past the timeskip though. At least not without a recast. At the pace of, what, a season every 2 years? (Nevermind the strikes delaying that) its a matter of time before our main cast signifigantly ages out of these roles.
They'll have to scrap the timeline the manga goes by and adjust it to where the journey takes multiple years instead of a few months, it's the only way it'll be possible for live action even if they were to pump out one season a year.

They can still seperate for 2 years, but after they've been together for 5-6 years instead of 5-6 months.

Honestly, it kinda makes more sense that way too. In canon, it's kinda wild to think that Zoro spent more time with Perona than he did with any of the crew!

They'll have to scrap the timeline the manga goes by and adjust it to where the journey takes multiple years instead of a few months, it's the only way it'll be possible for live action even if they were to pump out one season a year.

They can still seperate for 2 years, but after they've been together for 5-6 years instead of 5-6 months.

Honestly, it kinda makes more sense that way too. In canon, it's kinda wild to think that Zoro spent more time with Perona than he did with any of the crew!
To be fair, I also don't think there wouldn't be much changes you would have to do to make a longer time period work. The only thing that pops out of my mind is making the Reverie meetup like every 10 years or something so one doesn't occur within the timeskip.

I do agree but i dont think it mitigates the need for recasting at a point. There will be a limit for how old Luffy can look.

I always felt the only reason Oda doesnt have the crew's time longer is that he'd have to actually think about redesigning the cast regularly which is a tough ask.

Most shows dont even age their characters up unless the reality of their actors forces that shift.

One of the only times I remember a animated series naturally changing a characters' age without the actor aging was DBZ with Gohan, and evne then, for how he looks at the end of the Cell Saga its a gigantic change for a kid who's still only 11.

One alternative i can think of for the scheduling is how about just having shorter seasons per year on less islands?

Like say they jsut make season 2 going up to Drum Island, but they also get to follow that up with Alabasta in a season 3 the year after.

Then a short jaya/skypiea for season 3 with LRLL/Water 7 for 4. Etc.

Have to build less sets in less locations per year and have to manage less intimidating shooting schedules.

To be fair, I also don't think there wouldn't be much changes you would have to do to make a longer time period work. The only thing that pops out of my mind is making the Reverie meetup like every 10 years or something so one doesn't occur within the timeskip.
The only other one I can think of is Momonosuke.
He's a little kid from Punk Hazard all the way to Wano, which isnt going to be possible in live action when it'll take atleast a couple years to adapt all of that.

I think they might actually adapt the Luffy/Ace/Sabo flashback next season when we meet Ace instead of waiting until Marineford just so they can still keep the same kid instead of having to recast, but there's probably no way to get around recasting for kid Sanji when it's his Whole Cake flashback since there's no other place they can put it earlier and feel natural.

Last edited:
Well I started reading the Manga and I like it so far. There are enough differences and more details compared to the LA Series to enjoy it for me. While of course I can‘t really judge that as a whole but from the first few chapters it seems to me they capture the source material quite well. Honestly quite surprising for especially a a Shonen Manga adaptation with a gimmicky main character.

The only other one I can think of is Momonosuke.
He's a little kid from Punk Hazard all the way to Wano, which isnt going to be possible in live action when it'll take atleast a couple years to adapt all of that.

I think they might actually adapt the Luffy/Ace/Sabo flashback next season when we meet Ace instead of waiting until Marineford just so they can still keep the same kid instead of having to recast, but there's probably no way to get around recasting for kid Sanji when it's his Whole Cake flashback since there's no other place they can put it earlier and feel natural.
It be funny if the recorded it now but waiting literal years before using it during whole cake though.

I'm not planning on watching the live action show (maybe if they get a season 2 though), but the One Piece fervor is really inspiring me to pick up the anime again. Plus I just rewatched Bink's Sake while quietly sobbing at my desk.

I stopped midway through Fishman Island arc, have folks watched the One Pace versions of the show?

People online seem mixed on it pre-timeskip, but since I'm already post-timeskip I'm thinking I might try catching up with that, especially since later arcs are notorious for filler flashbacks.

I'm not planning on watching the live action show (maybe if they get a season 2 though), but the One Piece fervor is really inspiring me to pick up the anime again. Plus I just rewatched Bink's Sake while quietly sobbing at my desk.

I stopped midway through Fishman Island arc, have folks watched the One Pace versions of the show?

People online seem mixed on it pre-timeskip, but since I'm already post-timeskip I'm thinking I might try catching up with that, especially since later arcs are notorious for filler flashbacks.
It's my preferred version of the anime but I've only watched certain arcs out of order, mainly because not all of them are complete. Arabasta, which is one of the best arcs in the series, is still missing around 20 chapters worth of story.

The original cut isn't bad per se but as @BassForever said a few posts ago, it has a ton of unnecessary filler scenes and reaction shots that pad the runtime. I can't even imagine watching some of the post-timeskip arcs like Dressrosa or Wano that way.

I just thought to look it up, and they did record a version for the live action. Great world building ahead of a potential season 4/5 lol.

‘One Piece’ Debuts in Top Spot on Netflix Most-Watched TV List With 18.5 Million Views​

Bag secured. More than "The Sandman" did, and since that had a higher budget and got renewed, I think Season 2 is a go (once strikes resolve), plus postive WOM will give it a lot more gas in the tank.

You know what's next? They gotta translate all the stage shows they have in Japan for a world wide tour. Let the One Piece fever roll!

So, I've been going through the Alabasta arc again and I realized...this can still fit an 8 episode format.

Episode 1: Loguetown + Reverse Mountain
Episode 2: Laboon + Whiskey Peak (End on the revelation that Vivi is a princess)
Episode 3: Whiskey Peak + Little Garden
Episode 4: Little Garden + Start of Drum Island
Episode 5: Drum Island
Episode 6-8: Alabasta.

You end on Robin joining the crew in a post credit scene.

Preferably I'd want 10 episodes but I still think 8 episodes can make it work.

So, I've been going through the Alabasta arc again and I realized...this can still fit an 8 episode format.

Episode 1: Loguetown + Reverse Mountain
Episode 2: Laboon + Whiskey Peak (End on the revelation that Vivi is a princess)
Episode 3: Whiskey Peak + Little Garden
Episode 4: Little Garden + Start of Drum Island
Episode 5: Drum Island
Episode 6-8: Alabasta.

Preferably I'd want 10 episodes but I still think 8 episodes can make it work.
3 episodes for Alabasta is nowhere near enough. It's gonna need 4-5. I don't see season 2 covering all of Alabasta with less than 10 episodes.

3 episodes for Alabasta is nowhere near enough. It's gonna need 4-5. I don't see season 2 covering all of Alabasta with less than 10 episodes.
Yeah, if it does all of it, but I don't think you need to adapt all of it to tell Alabasta well. You can cut parts of it out to make it have the spirit of it like they did with season 1. That being said, I do want 10 episodes so I do think if we do, we can tell Alabasta in full.

That and I think they'll do what they did with Stranger Things and just increase the time period of the episode. 3 90 minute episodes would be the same as 5 50-60 minute episodes. And you can fit Alabasta into three long episodes imo.

I agree that they better leave anything from the main Alabasta arc out of season 2.
It could end with Chopper joining or them arriving at Alabasta, but not more.

Then a similar tease for Crocodile as they did it with Smoker in the current season.

Though this doesn't necessarily mean season 3 would be all Alabasta, but i'd say they do need the better half of a season for it.
Then do the other half of the season for Jaya, Blackbeard introduction, end with the arrival on the sky island. Teaser of Enel.

Yeah, if it does all of it, but I don't think you need to adapt all of it to tell Alabasta well. You can cut parts of it out to make it have the spirit of it like they did with season 1. That being said, I do want 10 episodes so I do think if we do, we can tell Alabasta in full.

That and I think they'll do what they did with Stranger Things and just increase the time period of the episode. 3 90 minute episodes would be the same as 5 50-60 minute episodes. And you can fit Alabasta into three long episodes imo.
You'd still be cutting stuff with 5 episodes though. At 3 episodes it's just not practical. At that point it is less of a narrative and more of a greatest hits. Alabasta by itself is 63 chapters, which is more than half of the East Blue material covered in season 1.

I agree that they better leave anything from the main Alabasta arc out of season 2.
It could end with Chopper joining or them arriving at Alabasta, but not more.

Then a similar tease for Crocodile as they did it with Smoker in the current season.

Though this doesn't necessarily mean season 3 would be all Alabasta, but i'd say they do need the better half of a season for it.
Then do the other half of the season for Jaya, Blackbeard introduction, end with the arrival on the sky island. Teaser of Enel.
From a pragmatic standpoint they are pretty much going to need to cover Alabasta in season 2, if they have any hopes of covering even half of the manga in a reasonable timeframe they are going to need to be efficient. From a pacing standpoint it also wouldn't make any sense to not end the season on Alabasta either, it's a big climax, ending the season on Jaya is nonsensical. An adaptation like this needs to strike the right balance of pacing, too fast or too slow won't work.

Again, it's totally doable in 10 episodes as long as you trim a lot of the pre-Alabasta stuff. You just need to secure 5ish episodes for Alabasta because it has all the critical stuff in that arc.

First 4 seasons are pretty much gonna have to be:
1: East Blue
2: Alabasta
3: Skypeia
4: Water 7/Enies Lobby

Other than that I can't possibly predict. But this is the only way you'd get to cover the necessary material in a remotely timely fashion.

You'd still be cutting stuff with 5 episodes though. At 3 episodes it's just not practical. At that point it is less of a narrative and more of a greatest hits. Alabasta by itself is 63 chapters, which is more than half of the East Blue material covered in season 1.

From a pragmatic standpoint they are pretty much going to need to cover Alabasta in season 2, if they have any hopes of covering even half of the manga in a reasonable timeframe they are going to need to be efficient. From a pacing standpoint it also wouldn't make any sense to not end the season on Alabasta either, it's a big climax, ending the season on Jaya is nonsensical. An adaptation like this needs to strike the right balance of pacing, too fast or too slow won't work.

Again, it's totally doable in 10 episodes as long as you trim a lot of the pre-Alabasta stuff. You just need to secure 5ish episodes for Alabasta because it has all the critical stuff in that arc.

First 4 seasons are pretty much gonna have to be:
1: East Blue
2: Alabasta
3: Skypeia
4: Water 7/Enies Lobby

Other than that I can't possibly predict. But this is the only way you'd get to cover the necessary material in a remotely timely fashion.

Technically, you could argue that they "needed" to have Loguetown and the arrival at Reverse Mountain in season 1 since the arriving at the Grand Line was the big goal and talk of season 1. I know things got changed up by cutting the episodes, but my point still stands. ;D

So i'm not sure if they need Alabasta in season 2, at least not in full. You would rush through too much important stuff, especially important for later things, if you cramp Loguetown, Whiskey Peak + Little Garden, Drum in less than half of the season (assuming 8 episodes again, though even with 10 episodes this would be too crammed).

Plus, with Oda's snail pacing in the last few manga arcs, there's even a danger to catch up and end up without source material, if the show runs this long.

Also, i'm not sure Skypeia could fill a whole season (even including the Jaya prelude to it), i'd say this is an arc where you can cut a lot of stuff since it was a rather slow one in the anime/manga.

Technically, you could argue that they "needed" to have Loguetown and the arrival at Reverse Mountain in season 1 since the arriving at the Grand Line was the big goal and talk of season 1. I know things got changed up by cutting the episodes, but my point still stands. ;D

So i'm not sure if they need Alabasta in season 2, at least not in full. You would rush through too much important stuff, especially important for later things, if you cramp Loguetown, Whiskey Peak + Little Garden, Drum in less than half of the season (assuming 8 episodes again, though even with 10 episodes this would be too crammed).

Plus, with Oda's snail pacing in the last few manga arcs, there's even a danger to catch up and end up without source material, if the show runs this long.

Also, i'm not sure Skypeia could fill a whole season (even including the Jaya prelude to it), i'd say this is an arc where you can cut a lot of stuff since it was a rather slow one in the anime/manga.
They aren't gonna be filming this until Inaki is in his 40s, season 2 pretty much has to finish with Alabasta, breaking it up would be a huge nightmare from both a production and pacing standpoint. Which is why they need 10 episodes because if they don't they are kind of SOL. The good news is I think they will get 10 episodes since that was the original order for season 1. Even with this stuff is getting cut; Luffy isn't getting three fights against Crocodile in this format.

Most of the stuff in Whiskey Peak and Little Garden is not super plot critical, ditto Drum Island. You can do that in ~5 episodes. This isn't a fan edit on YouTube, this is a 100 million dollar production, stuff has to be cut and rearranged or else it's not happening at all. Meanwhile Alabasta itself is the real meat and potatoes of a potential season 2 (it's more than half of the chapters of the whole Alabasta Saga), if they're smart they're gonna put most of their time and energy there.

For reference, season 1 adapted 95 chapters in 8 episodes (11.8 ch/ep avg). Loguetown through the end of Alabasta would be 121 chapters. 10 episodes gets you 12.1 ch/ep avg, pretty much the bare minimum needed to pull this off.

I'm pretty sure they're gonna get some leeway with episode lengths after the success of the first season (probably not quite 2h+ episodes like Stranger Things tho lol). Ending the season on Drum Island would be pretty anticlimactic unless it's a two parter and they won't split up Arabasta unless they're filming seasons 2 and 3 back to back, would be way too expensive. No, I think they will do everything they can to condense Loguetown to Drum Island so they can end on the big Crocodile fight.

Well... a good 20 chapters of Alabasta is taken up by fights.

But I think its possible they could have the Alabasta section split from the larger Baroque Works saga if they did it the year after. Instead of one season in 2 years, have two seasons in 2 years with shorter eps.

I dont know the logistics about that, but perhaps they could save time with by doing each season with less sets. Getting the varied locations were a pretty big part of the shows process.

And maybe having one season taking place entirely in Alabsta would make it take less time.

Well... a good 20 chapters of Alabasta is taken up by fights.

But I think its possible they could have the Alabasta section split from the larger Baroque Works saga if they did it the year after. Instead of one season in 2 years, have two seasons in 2 years with shorter eps.

I dont know the logistics about that, but perhaps they could save time with by doing each season with less sets. Getting the varied locations were a pretty big part of the shows process.

And maybe having one season taking place entirely in Alabsta would make it take less time.
Netflix isn’t beholden to traditional season structures but they still have to account for the logistics of a regular TV show production. It’s entirely possible that a future "season 2" is split in two parts with 5-6 episodes each that has the entirety of Arabasta as part 2 or whatever. They can do that either in one go or split it up, many things to consider there. What doesn’t make sense is to start filming part of Arabasta, stop production to go into post and then go back to Arabasta for the rest.

Netflix isn’t beholden to traditional season structures but they still have to account for the logistics of a regular TV show production. It’s entirely possible that a future "season 2" is split in two parts with 5-6 episodes each that has the entirety of Arabasta as part 2 or whatever. They can do that either in one go or split it up, many things to consider there. What doesn’t make sense is to start filming part of Arabasta, stop production to go into post and then go back to Arabasta for the rest.
But part of Alabasta isnt in Alabasta. Its the larger Baorque Works saga. At most we get shots of Crocodile in his evil lair monologuing.

I know people hate cliffhangers and all, but when has that stopped shows before? Even ones less guranteed a continuation like this?

I just thought to look it up, and they did record a version for the live action. Great world building ahead of a potential season 4/5 lol.

Oh wow without knowing the context this sounds like a depressing version of "you’ve got a friend in me."

But part of Alabasta isnt in Alabasta. Its the larger Baorque Works saga. At most we get shots of Crocodile in his evil lair monologuing.

I know people hate cliffhangers and all, but when has that stopped shows before? Even ones less guranteed a continuation like this?
I think everyone is talking about the Arabasta arc, not the Arabasta saga. Whis is why we’ve been discussing Whiskey Peak, Drum Island etc. separately.

I think everyone is talking about the Arabasta arc, not the Arabasta saga. Whis is why we’ve been discussing Whiskey Peak, Drum Island etc. separately.
Ok, i was getting confused.

But i dont see why they need to stop mid Alabasta shoot to make a potential season split work.

Just stop at Drum Island. Have crew who arent working on the active shoot getting Alabasta sets prepped as well as cast members to have things ready for a sooner shoot.

That also can help with preventing complications in casting too because they can have major and reusable Alabasta cast members cast and auditionef seperately from the very diverse 1st half of Baroque Works.

The amount of carry over from (Loguetown-Drum) > Alabasta will be minimal. The main crew, Smoker and Tashigi, Robin, and Vivi. They dont even have to reveal Crocodile's face znd voice until the main arc.

Edit :When i think of it more even from a production standpoint it makes way more sense.

Even when you remove Little Garden think of just how elaborate and differerent Drum is from Alabasta. We go from Snow to Desert. The complications getting a snow environment done the same time as a desert is nuts.

Last edited:
I have a good idea how they can manage to slim down stuff:

Spinoff series for sidestories!

I would watch a Buggy spin-off series that explains his schenanigans that happen next to the main casts story!

Ok, i was getting confused.

But i dont see why they need to stop mid Alabasta shoot to make a potential season split work.

Just stop at Drum Island. Have crew who arent working on the active shoot getting Alabasta sets prepped as well as cast members to have things ready for a sooner shoot.

That also can help with preventing complications in casting too because they can have major and reusable Alabasta cast members cast and auditionef seperately from the very diverse 1st half of Baroque Works.

The amount of carry over from (Loguetown-Drum) > Alabasta will be minimal. The main crew, Smoker and Tashigi, Robin, and Vivi. They dont even have to reveal Crocodile's face znd voice until the main arc.
That’s my mistake: I was referring to an earlier suggestion about only having parts of Alabasta in S2. I agree with your post about potentially splitting the Arabasta arc from the rest of the saga. What it looks like in practice is a different question but it generally makes sense to finish all filming for Alabasta during a single production instead of having to go back to old sets and locations.

They could also shuffle arcs around to work better for live action. I know I personally wouldn't want that, but if it makes for a better show to, say, do Skypeia before Alabasta, then they may do it.

I know that specific example has some weird narrative implications and problems, but I was just using it as an example.

Leaked concept art from Season 15

DFCDda6.jpg

I’ve been reading a bit this last week, now at the start of the Arlong Arc.

Some thoughts:
  • Luffy is a fun protagonist, I like how blunt, flippant, and to the point he is most of the time.
  • Chouchou is a very good boy.
  • I like all the crew members introduced so far (Luffy, Zora, Nami, Usop, and Sanji).
  • Don Kreig was kind of a boring villain, but there was like 5 different stories happening at the same time during this arc, so it was all still good.
  • Like the Buggy interludes

I’ve been reading a bit this last week, now at the start of the Arlong Arc.

Some thoughts:
  • Luffy is a fun protagonist, I like how blunt, flippant, and to the point he is most of the time.
  • Chouchou is a very good boy.
  • I like all the crew members introduced so far (Luffy, Zora, Nami, Usop, and Sanji).
  • Don Kreig was kind of a boring villain, but there was like 5 different stories happening at the same time during this arc, so it was all still good.
  • Like the Buggy interludes
The Arlong arc is generally where fans agree the series becomes truly great, so I'm looking forward to what you think!

Post-Credit scene with just Robin sitting on the deck of the Flying Lamb, reading a book. chef's kiss
Don Kreig was kind of a boring villain, but there was like 5 different stories happening at the same time during this arc, so it was all still good.
Yeah, Krieg is kind of a low point for One Piece villains, I think that's generally agreed upon :D

Post-Credit scene with just Robin sitting on the deck of the Flying Lamb, reading a book. chef's kiss

Yeah, Krieg is kind of a low point for One Piece villains, I think that's generally agreed upon :D
I imagine Season 2 ending like this:

The last scene of the season is Robin telling the crew she's joining. Everyone looks shocked. Cut to black, roll credits.

Then the post credits start:

The crew are gathered around the Merry getting to know Robin. Luffy tells the crew she's in, and then something hits Luffys head.
Everyone gets defensive thinking it was her, and Luffy looks around and sees a tiny block of wood on the deck, and everyone looks confused.
Then a few pieces of wood start raining from the sky. The crew looks up shocked, and we cut to a wide shot of a massive ship falling from the sky

We hear the narrators voice. "All things man can imagine are possible in reality". Cut to black.

They could also shuffle arcs around to work better for live action. I know I personally wouldn't want that, but if it makes for a better show to, say, do Skypeia before Alabasta, then they may do it.

I know that specific example has some weird narrative implications and problems, but I was just using it as an example.

Hardcore fans might not take it so well, but if I was them, I'd massively truncate skypeia. If season 2 can focus on Arabasta, and 3 on water 7/enies Lobby, that sounds ideal. For how long it takes in the manga, it's a largely irrelevant side arc, and the things that actually have longer term consequences like the ponegliff can easily be repurposed elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom