• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

a4iJFfgPuvERoQGN4m3296.jpg

Kizaru

... You know ... that works. It works.

Re-reading the manga, I realized something. I actually really liked Sanji from the beginning all the way to the end of Ennies Lobby. Sure, his more perverted side has always been there but it never stopped him from being competent and intelligent. Plus, it always felt that there was another reason behind Sanji not hitting women beyond just a weird chivalry. I think it's because Sanji's role in Thriller Bark, his timeskip training, and New Fishamn Island were so bad it kind of ruined the character for me. Sanji kind of takes a nosedive for three arcs in a row. Thriller Bark has Sanji want to be the same as the sexual assaulter Absalom. The timeskip has that horrifically homophobic and transphobic stereotypes of Newkama Island for Sanji. And New Fishamn Island makes his perverted side so bad it becomes a plot point and caused me to stop reading One Piece for years because of how flanderized he is. He gets better in Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island does a lot to make him fun again but jeez Sanji takes a nosedise for years and I'm not sure his characterization in newer chapters makes up for the shithole he was in.

Re-reading the manga, I realized something. I actually really liked Sanji from the beginning all the way to the end of Ennies Lobby. Sure, his more perverted side has always been there but it never stopped him from being competent and intelligent. Plus, it always felt that there was another reason behind Sanji not hitting women beyond just a weird chivalry. I think it's because Sanji's role in Thriller Bark, his timeskip training, and New Fishamn Island were so bad it kind of ruined the character for me. Sanji kind of takes a nosedive for three arcs in a row. Thriller Bark has Sanji want to be the same as the sexual assaulter Absalom. The timeskip has that horrifically homophobic and transphobic stereotypes of Newkama Island for Sanji. And New Fishamn Island makes his perverted side so bad it becomes a plot point and caused me to stop reading One Piece for years because of how flanderized he is. He gets better in Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island does a lot to make him fun again but jeez Sanji takes a nosedise for years and I'm not sure his characterization in newer chapters makes up for the shithole he was in.
Yeah, I'm on Baratie right now on my reread and you really forget how good of a character Sanji was. I do think he mostly digs his way out of the hole by WCI but he still gets a lame pervert joke or two in Wano. So far at least live action Sanji has hit the right balance.

They apparently have a 12 season idea. We might be eating good.

That was an interesting read. Especially the point about having the original creator involved is very true. I don't think One Piece would've worked as well as it did without Oda.

Finished my East Blue reread, man I loved it even after experiencing this part of the story a billion times between the manga, anime, and Netflix.

Also:

Finished my East Blue reread, man I loved it even after experiencing this part of the story a billion times between the manga, anime, and Netflix.

Also:

GOTTA be a season 2 announcement.
But maybe if we're lucky Netflix also greenlit season 3 on top of it

I'm not gonna let myself get too excited, it's probably just a special thank you message from Oda or something. I don't see them announcing a season 2 renewal so soon.

It's going to be cancellation announcement. And they're going to reenact the burning Going Merry in live action but with all the sets they built 👀

Now go and ask Jamie Lee Curtis to play Kureha.

She's a massive geek, she would be so in.

Where can i watch the anime? Crunchyroll is too expensive. I tried pirating it on aniwave but my antivirus went nuts so i'd rather not do that. Any tips?

Where can i watch the anime? Crunchyroll is too expensive. I tried pirating it on aniwave but my antivirus went nuts so i'd rather not do that. Any tips?
Pretty sure mods don’t allow piracy tips on this site, but it’s on Netflix depending on your country

10dk7t8n9x371.png

Cant wait to see how some of the truly zany characters get adapted starting with season 2.
The inspirations all come from something grounded so I think there's lots of potential to have the really cool designs transleted well.

Its on netflix up to Thriller Bark, which is still a lot of episodes.

It makes me sad that I can't do videos reacting to the live action series with the ongoing strike but I am so thrilled to see the amount of love that it has received from mainstream audiences so far. Really looking forward to seeing what changes and where they end up taking things in future seasons!

My mom finished the Netflix show and she has a big crush on Zoro. They knew what they were doing casting Mackenyu

My mom finished the Netflix show and she has a big crush on Zoro. They knew what they were doing casting Mackenyu
Mackenyu is probably the standout casting of the show to me. Yes, the others are all great too but that guy as Zoro was a stroke of genius :D

I bloody adore the Netflix series, but I have near to no experience with the manga or anime, so it's great to see long term fans are enjoying it too.
My sole anime watching friend spoke highly about it but always told me it'd be a bit hard to get into at this point (and a massive commitment), so this streamlined experience that seemingly doesn't sacrifice too much is such a treat.
One issue though is that I've completely fallen in love with the cast so if I ever did try to watch the anime I may struggle xD

Gonna quote myself from the Arlong Park forum
Watched this later than most since I don't have Netflix, but I have to say, I'm surprised that I actually enjoyed this. When it was announced I thought it would be a trainwreck, and the trailers didn't make it look any better, so the fact that they were able to put out something decent is already a huge triumph. And catching on with mainstream audiences in a big way is the cherry on top.

I'll start by saying that I really appreciated all the references and tiny details. The Bellamy/Foxy/Cavendish posters, the various outfits pulled from colorspreads, the black clothes they wear during Kaya's dinner referencing the volume 6 cover, their faithful costumes in general even at the risk of some of them looking goofy in live action, etc. Loved outfits like Sham, Butchy and Nezumi. Then there were some really smart call forwards, made possible by the power of retrospection; the obvious ones are things like Garp and Mr. 7, but you get other clever details, like seeding Noland early and the characters at Roger's execution pulled straight from chapter 0. (Bringing Garp in early in a good idea in general because casual audiences are not gonna remember this kind of stuff several seasons down the line.) And then stuff like Zoro recognizing Kuro from Mirror Ball Island was a real deep cut lol. RIP Jango, but a nice nod.

I understand that they had to cut stuff and I don't have a problem with it conceptually (did literally anyone miss Pearl?), but I think they made some bad choices. Some of the things they cut were crucial expository elements and literal emotional/thematic cores. Morgan barely comes off as villainous in this version, an asshole at most. Reducing Boodle and Chouchou to mere cameos really diluted the message of Buggy's entire sequence. And I get that Krieg isn't particularly popular, but Baratie was left with none of its original message at all. Sanji deciding to join up was pretty unconvincing as a result. Same with Usopp to be honest, the two of them barely spent any time with the crew. The Luffy/Zoro/Nami dynamics were all built up pretty well so it's a shame the other crew members had to suffer from the cuts.

The story that suffered the worst from it was Syrup Village. Kuro is supposed to be a genius but comes off as a complete moron in this adaptation. Putting aside thinking that a bottle to the head killed Zoro... in the original, he wants to fake a pirate attack and hypnotize Kaya into writing a will. In this version, his plan is to... just kill everyone in the mansion at midnight? And hope that Merry signs over the shipyard because he tells him to? Merry didn't even end up doing it, because Kuro had literally zero contingency, so Kaya and her staff would've all suddenly disappeared, Kuro would've been left with nothing, and he hoped that... no one in the village would notice or question it? Even worse, the marines were present in this version. How the hell did Kuro expect to get away with anything past the next morning.

Speaking of characters that changed in this adaptation - Garp was made pretty damn unlikeable. One Piece has always had a problem with toxic masculinity, but it translates particularly poorly into live action. The flashback where he tosses Luffy around and wrecks his ship... yeah... Manga accurate sure, but maybe one of the things that they should've toned down lol. Standout was Zeff though, his expanded role was awesome and the whole flashback with him and Sanji was probably the highpoint of the entire adaptation, really well done.

All in all pretty good. Certainly surpassed my expectations. Doesn't reach nearly the same emotional highpoints as the source, but I acknowledge that new fans without a point of reference will probably be served well enough by this. And if it causes even a fraction of them to pick up the anime or manga then it's a win!

Kuro's plan was to convince everyone that Kaya has a terminal illness than poison her on her 18th birthday so everyone thinks she just died from the illness. He only goes into psycho mode because his plans keep getting derailed. Also, it's not like his original plan was much better.

Also, it's truncated but I think swerving the message of Bartie to the legacy of dreams and pursuing them was a better choice. You still got the "Sanji wants to explore the All Blue but can't because he feels personally beholden to Zeff" aspect of the story. And then making Zeff and Garp foils to one another is probably for the best given that you cannot do the whole Baratie fight with a reasonable timeframe.

Also, I don't know if I like the "LA fans aren't getting the real moments but I guess they're good enough if you're ignorant" is really the statement you want to make. It feels condescending to those who enjoy the LA.

I think the Garp section, especially that flashback was great.
I think contrasting Luffy's flashback with Shanks and his flashback with Garp perfectly encapsulates why Luffy chose the life of a pirate.

We have Luffy's real family literally stomping on his dreams vs Shanks, a friend encouraging him and sacrificing his arm for him. It's how Luffy always emphasises treating his crew like family and never gets in the way of another persons dream (like letting Zoro fight Mihawk despite the risks) he'd never allow himself to do to others what Garp did to him and follow Shanks' example instead. I think having such a stark contrast between Shanks and Garp's influence on his childhood was a great way to establish how Luffy became the guy we see today.

Also, I don't know if I like the "LA fans aren't getting the real moments but I guess they're good enough if you're ignorant" is really the statement you want to make. It feels condescending to those who enjoy the LA.
How is it condescending? I think the manga is better than the liva action. I'm not allowed to say that? It's not anymore "condescending" to live action fans than if I said I hated it (which I don't; just speaking hypothetically). Like I said, they cut out a lot of the emotional cores. Establishing bonds with characters like Chouchou and Genzo does a lot to get readers invested in the plight of their respective villages. It's understandable that they had to be cut, but I'm not going to pretend that the adaptation didn't lose something from it.

Biggest sign the live action was a success:

I now hear the episode title music in my mind when I see the title of a new manga chapter.

Got to Alabasta in my reread and man this is still an incredible arc. There's so much to work with for a season 2... maybe almost too much lol

One thing I'd love to see is them replicate this for a promo pic:

a21f47d7563c3ad649587f41eeeb1afc658c1782.pnj

Cant stop thinking about how the amazing the sets and locations can look as the series goes on. Starting with Season 2, Maybe they can rent out the Luxor in Las Vegas to use as Rain Base

Dreo on X: 11. Rain Dinners / Hotel Luxor One Piece: É um cassino e  restaurante pertencente a Crocodile, em Rainbase, Alabasta. Vida Real:  Hotel de cassino com referência ao antigo Egito
Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas | LoveToKnow

Set designers must be going crazy to sign on to this show. If there's one thing you can say about one piece, it visually isnt samey.

Imagine being the person who designs Enies lobby and then next season we move onto a Universal Horror movie set.

Final One Pace episode of Jaya is out, which means they can now focus on Arabasta and Skypiea. 👀
It's actually kinda surprising that Alabasta and Water 7 were such a lower priority. I get it in that everything before Thriller Bark is still paced fairly well, but not in terms of popularity. No surprise that Skypiea has the least work done on it though 🫠

Itd be amazing if Toei would commit to an actual One Piece Kai. With renewed interest in the series, surely this is a great time to go back, reanimate and repace the old material. And the old audio is in much better condition than DBZ was so they could reuse it.

Itd be amazing if Toei would commit to an actual One Piece Kai. With renewed interest in the series, surely this is a great time to go back, reanimate and repace the old material. And the old audio is in much better condition than DBZ was so they could reuse it.
Kai mostly happened so Toei could have an efficient way to put DBZ in HD format for its 20th anniversary. I don't see Toei bothering when the old One Piece anime upscales to HD so much easier, unfortunately (since it was always digitally animated to begin with).

Kai mostly happened so Toei could have an efficient way to put DBZ in HD format for its 20th anniversary. I don't see Toei bothering when the old One Piece anime upscales to HD so much easier, unfortunately (since it was always digitally animated to begin with).
That's a shame but more likely.

I really dont think the old animation is good at all until late Alabasta.

It has the same problem Digimon Adventure has where the coloring and backgrounds are so plain and frankly lacking in a lot of ambience for scenes that could use it.

Nevermind how stilted the old animation lools, which i cant help but feel was a fault of the early digitization process.

That's a shame but more likely.

I really dont think the old animation is good at all until late Alabasta.

It has the same problem Digimon Adventure has where the coloring and backgrounds are so plain and frankly lacking in a lot of ambience for scenes that could use it.

Nevermind how stilted the old animation lools, which i cant help but feel was a fault of the early digitization process.
Funny you say that since I've been rewatching Digimon Adventure on Blu-Ray and although the character designs are charming, you can definitely feel the growing pains of early digital animation in it. Toei has always been cheap about how they make most of their anime unfortunately, the primary exception I can think of is PreCure which they always make sure has some sakuga in each episode lol (and more recent One Piece episodes, obviously).

The reason OP Kai may happen anyway is obvious. It lets them reair and resell the OP anime with much lower production costs.

The reason OP Kai may happen anyway is obvious. It lets them reair and resell the OP anime with much lower production costs.
Plus, Oda, Toei, and Shueisha have been searching for ways to attract new fans and get rid of the intimidating length as a barrier to entry. It's why he worked really hard to make the live-action series right, saying it was the biggest chance to get One Piece successful in the West.

Even in the manga and anime, when Wano and the Final Saga began, there were numerous statements from him and the editors stating, "It's ok to start from here if you haven't read the rest." (Which is nuts! But it's the only way to get new folks onboard)

One Piece Kai just makes sense from an accessibility standpoint. When all is said and done, having like 1300 episodes/chapters is going to be an instant turn off for anyone not already a fan....but a "new" anime that trims it down to like 500-600 and a good Live Action Adapatation that trims it to 8-10 episode seasons, will be getting new people into One Piece for decades to come

I honestly expect a One Piece Kai to eventually happen. Just need them to first finish the actual anime... or manga at least :'D

Writers got a good deal and OP is back in business (on the writing side at least), things are looking up

Honestly a wonderful review. And the hints for season 2 sounds like a great direction for Luffy.

Also, love the part of the interview mentioning how the writers want to be more confident with the next season after proving this adaptation works. Sounds like the absurdity is gonna be dialed up a notch.

Curious how they'll handle Ms Valentine with her big booty fruit she was actually the kilo kilo fruit which let her become heavier or lighter, but in the anime it always looked like she was booty blasting people

Back
Top Bottom