• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion One Piece |ST| Over One Thousand Pieces (unmarked spoilers upon official chapter release)

Dragon is one of the most intriguing characters of the manga for me ever since his first appearance. But between this and the recent weird "oh the news which is very often relaying WG propaganda shit says that Sabo killed a WG king, I won't forgive him if true", I'm not very pleased with Dragon's characterization.
And even then if it was actually true... Yeah he killed a WG king, so what ? Ain't you guys the Revolutionary Army ? Ain't it what you're doing to kill those rich World Government puppets ? Sabo could have had his reasons, but Dragon immediately said "I won't forgive him" without trying to understand, if it ended up being true (which, again, was always a ridiculous statement coming from him. Luffy would have never doubted his nakamas for instance).
This might clear it up, they mentioned the kings and goverment aren't the Revolutionary Army's opponents, only the Celestial Dragons are. Basically the goverment itself is fine, it's only the Celestial Dragons that currently rule said goverment need to go down.

0905-014.png

(But yeah, Dragon doubting Sabo based on an obviously biased newspaper did him no favors)

This might clear it up, they mentioned the kings and goverment aren't the Revolutionary Army's opponents, only the Celestial Dragons are. Basically the goverment itself is fine, it's only the Celestial Dragons that currently rule said goverment need to go down.
True, but on the other hand we clearly see the Revolution Army providing help to some countries' people to overthrow their kingdom's regime.

It's even stated that recently, they're doing pretty good by succeeding revolutions in many countries.

juyo-1024x664.png

The people clearly guillotined their king here.

True, but on the other hand we clearly see the Revolution Army providing help to some countries' people to overthrow their kingdom's regime.

It's even stated that recently, they're doing pretty good by succeeding revolutions in many countries.

juyo-1024x664.png

The people clearly guillotined their king here.
Yeah, the ones they overthrow are the ones specifically abusing their power and slowly taking back the world from the CD's influence. (Like when they helped the people overthrow the kings of Lulucia Kingdom).
I assume part of Dragon's reaction was specifically because they knew King Cobra was one of the good ones.

This latest chapter looked really rough visually. I havent seen a chapter this visuall sketchy in ever.

I mean, im sure itll be fixed for the volume release, but just surprised how it turned out.

This latest chapter looked really rough visually. I havent seen a chapter this visuall sketchy in ever.

I mean, im sure itll be fixed for the volume release, but just surprised how it turned out.
Yeah, I'm curious what went wrong with Oda's scheduling if that's the case. Hopefully it wasn't a surprise health issue...

Yeah, I'm curious what went wrong with Oda's scheduling if that's the case
Oda is already chronically overworked, and it seems like this is simply one of those times where his workload caught up to him. He apologized for the chapter and says he'll touch up the volume release. I don't think it's health issues since JUMP has different language for when that's the case.

Oda is already chronically overworked, and it seems like this is simply one of those times where his workload caught up to him. He apologized for the chapter and says he'll touch up the volume release. I don't think it's health issues since JUMP has different language for when that's the case.
Also, given the uh...subject matter of the chapter, it honsetly wouldnt even suprise me if this is a case where Oda submitted a draft, and JUMP themselves said no.
Like some of the really rough panels are in the phone call scene. Maybe the phone call was originally from Ginny's POV and Jump thought that was too dark, forcing Oda to go back and redraw it without the extra time that would have required. Totally baseless speculation, and I dont believe it all that much myself, but I guess it may be possible.

If it really is a health or time issue, I wouldnt mind if One Piece became Bi-Weekly. That feels like a better solution than the current "3 weeks of nonstop work and 1 week break" for everyone involved. Easier workload and schedule for Oda, more time to cook for each chapter, and a more consistent release schedule for us because we dont get hit with those suprise breaks.

If it really is a health or time issue, I wouldnt mind if One Piece became Bi-Weekly
I’ve honestly advocated for a general shift to bi-weekly scheduling for JUMP. Take on more new manga and alternate between two sets of stories every week.

Of course, easier said than done, because consumers demand more frequent gratification (especially now that JUMP has a subscription service) and it’s hard to find new hit stories, too.

That latest chapter huh? Seeing Kizaru partying with the people he is essentially holding hostage is weird. I can never read that guy.

Kuma's definitely among the people in One Piece that have been through the most shit with their backstory. :'(
Also Oda's really doubling down on the whole "World Government are scum" :D

That latest chapter huh? Seeing Kizaru partying with the people he is essentially holding hostage is weird. I can never read that guy.
I see people suggesting he might get a face-turn here, but like, he just kicked Bonney off a building, into the explosion field, and towards the army of Marines that almost killed her

I think Oda's just doubling down on Kizaru being a government dog and nothing more. Whether it's hanging with the crew or killing them, it's all the same to him. Orders are orders.

So uh

Apparently they're announcing a new One Piece anime for Netflix???

This is insane holy shit

If it's just another retelling of Romance Dawn then, eh, but if it's the whole kit and keboodle... What in the world is it gonna be like?

This reads like it's gonna be based on the manga. And it sounds like they're planning to go beyond East Blue eventually?

Being a One Piece Fan be like:

Iroh's face : r/TheLastAirbender

I cant believe OP Kai is finally a thing. I've been hoping for it for years, but what's crazy is I feel like I didnt even need this after how good the Live Action was. And we get both!

We STAY winning lol.

Being a One Piece Fan be like:

Iroh's face : r/TheLastAirbender's face : r/TheLastAirbender

I cant believe OP Kai is finally a thing. I've been hoping for it for years, but what's crazy is I feel like I didnt even need this after how good the Live Action was. And we get both!

We STAY winning lol.
This isn't One Piece Kai, that's One Pace. This is One Piece Brotherhood, a full on remake.

Oh yes!! We're getting the remake series! After all this time!

God isnt it weird getting a remake while the original is stull running?

This isn't One Piece Kai, that's One Pace. This is One Piece Brotherhood, a full on remake.
It's kind of a mix of both, imho. The anime has some changes but none of them are as big as what the original FMA anime did (like, it still follows the manga for the most part, just stretched out and some filler) but it's also more than a "Kai" treatment, given this seems to be fully reanimated based on the source and not just a remaster with cut out fillers.

Oh yes!! We're getting the remake series! After all this time!

God isnt it weird getting a remake while the original is stull running?
It is a bit odd but I can see the reasoning behind it, given the live-action show has brought in some new fans who might not want to check out an old-ass 2000s anime with thousands of episodes :LOL:

I do feel a bit bad for the people involved with the current anime though. Also judging by that announcement I shared, this new project might still be some time off.

I do wish this announcement covered up to Alabasta though. The East Blue feels like it's been remade like 10 times at this point. Our only proper remake of Alabasta forward were those terrible "Episode Of" specials.

Don't worry, we're getting season 2 of the live action
Gonna be really fun to alternate between the two.

I think both will work in each others favor. Like I think people will be more forgiving of the Live Action changing/cutting stuff because we’re getting a “purist” adaptation right along side it

So how long do we expect this East Blue to be? 26 episodes maybe or maybe 52? The original was 61. And while the original East Blue wasn't at the snails pace we are at now, it did have a lot of creative liberties and odd slow moments. I remember Syrup village had some really odd pacing issues especially.

So how long do we expect this East Blue to be? 26 episodes maybe or maybe 52? The original was 61. And while the original East Blue wasn't at the snails pace we are at now, it did have a lot of creative liberties and odd slow moments. I remember Syrup village had some really odd pacing issues especially.
My guess is 25 episodes for East Blue, which is on average 4 chapters an episode.

Yeah, I think 3-4 is gonna be the ballpark.

Its kinda wild to think we’ll be getting to an episode based on the current chapter in the time it takes the regular anime to hit Ennies Lobby
Bonkers that even if you condensed One Piece, without major cuts, it would reach into the 300s.

Edit: I love how this will put the dub on 1-1 with a version of the anime for the first time. The dub cast get to enjoy being up to date on the promo front.

Bonkers that even if you condensed One Piece, without major cuts, it would reach into the 300s.

Edit: I love how this will put the dub on 1-1 with a version of the anime for the first time. The dub cast get to enjoy being up to date on the promo front.
I actually wonder how the dubbing will be handled. Outside of the implication that Tanaka will return as Luffy, we have no idea what to expect on the casting front. With Toei being listed as a copyright for this new anime, I half-expect that they will reuse the anime audio with brand new animation - sort of a halfway point between the Kai and Brotherhood approaches (though Kai had new audio because the original audio masters were thrown out so all they had was Japanese mono). This is likely several years away (WIT is literally hiring right now for it) so it will be a while before we can really grasp what it will look like.

Yeah, I think 3-4 is gonna be the ballpark.

Its kinda wild to think we’ll be getting to an episode based on the current chapter in the time it takes the regular anime to hit Ennies Lobby
The JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime on average hit about 4 chapters an episode, so I think that will be their goal. I'm sure depending on certain scenes and arcs they will adjust as they deem necessary. JoJo took a decade to adapt 752 chapters, so... a similar pacing means in a decade the anime will be on Dressrosa, which isn't too bad I guess?

If this anime sees it all the way through, we are gonna be old as shit when it's done lol

I actually wonder how the dubbing will be handled. Outside of the implication that Tanaka will return as Luffy, we have no idea what to expect on the casting front. With Toei being listed as a copyright for this new anime, I half-expect that they will reuse the anime audio with brand new animation - sort of a halfway point between the Kai and Brotherhood approaches (though Kai had new audio because the original audio masters were thrown out so all they had was Japanese mono). This is likely several years away (WIT is literally hiring right now for it) so it will be a while before we can really grasp what it will look like.
That may not work if they're reanimating it. Especially since, the anime especually in the East Blue had odd changes compared to the manga.

But if they did go the route of reusung old voice clips, it would certainly help with problems of the cast potentially dying of old age. Nevermind how their voices jave changed over the years.

But that certainly wont work with the actors who are already gone, like Sengoku's and Mihawk's.

Last edited:
That may not work if they're reanimating it. Especially since, the anime especually in the East Blue had odd changes compared to the manga.

But if they did go the route of reusung old voice clips, it would certainly help with problems of the cast potentially dying of old age. Nevermind how their voices jave changed over the years.

But that certainly wont work with the actors who are already gone, like Sengoku's and Mihawk's.
Yeah, there's a lot up in the air about how they would approach it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would kinda wish they do a top-to-bottom refresh in terms of casting, soundtrack, etc. Just have this be its own thing. The voice acting and music are the best thing about the Toei anime, but the aging cast might complicate things and the constant comparisons could be tricky to navigate. But like I said, I'm gonna wait and see what this looks like once production is underway before passing judgment.

I can't fucking believe we're getting a remake. And long before the original series is over.

What a time to be a One Piece fan
Yeah, there's a lot up in the air about how they would approach it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would kinda wish they do a top-to-bottom refresh in terms of casting, soundtrack, etc. Just have this be its own thing. The voice acting and music are the best thing about the Toei anime, but the aging cast might complicate things and the constant comparisons could be tricky to navigate. But like I said, I'm gonna wait and see what this looks like once production is underway before passing judgment.
With how serious Japan takes voice acting, a complete refresh on that front would be sacrilege, especially for the Straw Hats. Pretty sure they won't recast anyone unless they absolutely have to.

Modern music and sound design is definitely something I'm excited about with this project, though. It's long overdue.

It will be amazing to not have the same dozen canned sound effects reused over and over again.
As a Dragon Ball fan I actually find the sound effects charming lol

They definitely rely on the same ones though over and over. I could live without having to ever hear that footstep sound again.

Are we watching the same show?
Well no, since I don't actively watch the anime anymore. Just a casual episode every now and then. Unless things changed, there's no filler, just languidly stretched out canon.

I can't fucking believe we're getting a remake. And long before the original series is over
Honestly, it’s hard to believe. But I definitely support this decision. I always wanted One Piece to get its Brotherhood, or HxH 2011 style remake. Getting it without having to wait for the original anime to finish airing is a godsend.

Some of the current staff aren't very happy with this news. Not that I blame them for the current pace of things. We wouldn't be where we are with the anime if Toei just took seasonal breaks like most modern series.

I think a nice consolation should be to just let the anime go more off the rails with filler and such. If the series is going to be remade, why not just let the current series have more of its own identity like it used to pre-Enies Lobby instead of trying to follow the manga slavishly?

1vr7go382v6c1.jpeg

Some of the current staff aren't very happy with this news. Not that I blame them for the current pace of things. We wouldn't be where we are with the anime if Toei just took seasonal breaks like most modern series.

I think a nice consolation should be to just let the anime go more off the rails with filler and such. If the series is going to be remade, why not just let the current series have more of its own identity like it used to pre-Enies Lobby instead of trying to follow the manga slavishly?

1vr7go382v6c1.jpeg

One one hand, I get it. It must suck to see if you're someone working on the show seeing everyone so excited about your work being replaced for reasons you have no control over.

One the other hand, I'm not going to pretend like this announcement didn't just immedietly Thanos Snap the current anime out of existence from my mind.

I think they'll be fine though. The anime has recency going for it. This current manga has so many extremly hype moments that people aren't going to want to wait 10+ years to see animated, so the anime can continue to strike while the iron is hot and give us the current goodness so everything else can take its time getting there properly

Back
Top Bottom