• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

i'm going to stop updating this thread's title from now on. this twitter account does a great job at posting updates, i recommend following them.

i'm going to stop updating this thread's title from now on. this twitter account does a great job at posting updates, i recommend following them.

Will you continue to update the topic itself, on the other hand?
I find it VERY useful!

Other users will likely still post about updates here from time to time, too, as has been the case throughout the history of this thread, but really your best bet is to just consistently check the NSO app on your Switch HOME Menu. It even gets a notification icon whenever there’s something new to see! If you play your Switch regularly and don’t ignore the NSO app, it should be pretty easy to keep on top of whenever new icon elements are released. I just make a habit of checking the NSO app on my Switch every day after it updates (which is 6:00 PM for me), lol.

If you need some points, play the Fire Emblem mobile game and use auto play.
i did play fire emblem, that's the problem. I didn't realize the points expire, so I churned through auto-battling the story mode chapters all at once.

On December 31st around 5000 platinum points are going to expire.

I kind of don’t even bother anymore because of this. I don’t understand why they have to expire… and only good for one year, too!

Like many things, they exist because they want you to keep Active in the Nintendo ecosystems. They give out almost as many as you could reasonably need from the simple Nintendo switch missions, but only if you constantly engage with them. The expiration is specifically to prevent anyone being able to hoard a bunch and then just sit on them not being part of the ecosystem. Nothing is really free, they exist because there's ultimately a monetary benefit in it for Nintendo for keeping people doing the things/staying subbed to NSO/whatever.

It is what it is.

i did play fire emblem, that's the problem. I didn't realize the points expire, so I churned through auto-battling the story mode chapters all at once.
Yeah, this is actually why I don't play the story chapters anymore. I keep them unplayed and waiting for when I might need to press a couple of buttons to amass points for some icons I really want. It's kind of silly really, because I've changed my icon parts maybe three or four times? But I guess that sort of constant cross-platform engagement is what they want.

I remember noticing I had points expiring a few months ago and so I just bought a bunch of icon parts for the hell of it. If I remember correctly it will use up your oldest points first, so there is that at least, but there's not enough things to use the points on if you've got thousands and thousands and they're repeating things.

Like many things, they exist because they want you to keep Active in the Nintendo ecosystems. They give out almost as many as you could reasonably need from the simple Nintendo switch missions, but only if you constantly engage with them. The expiration is specifically to prevent anyone being able to hoard a bunch and then just sit on them not being part of the ecosystem. Nothing is really free, they exist because there's ultimately a monetary benefit in it for Nintendo for keeping people doing the things/staying subbed to NSO/whatever.

It is what it is.

I completely agree with your reasoning. For me I don’t really care about the icons. I like to save them up for the stuff that can only be acquired with them on the Nintendo Store. But by the time I almost start to get enough for the higher end items, they start to expire. So I just gave up. I guess if I were to now get the points for all the first party games I’ve purchased I’ve the last few years I’d have enough now lol

It is what it is.
The expiration also made way more sense when there was more stuff to use them on like discount codes back in the 3DS/Wii U era. Now that it’s mostly profile icons it feels weird.

It's strange that we haven't received any news on the next set if icons, makes me think that it'll be another rerun. Personally I'm hoping we'll get either Luigi's Mansion or Bayonetta.

Yeah, might just be another rerun…or maybe F-ZERO 99 icon elements?

Would be cool if we got some Sonic icon elements as our first third-party icons since the Sonic Frontiers update is this week, but I doubt that’ll happen, unfortunately, lol.

Pikachu detective

FC1OIGPWYDQefuv.jpg:large

Yeah, might just be another rerun…or maybe F-ZERO 99 icon elements?

Would be cool if we got some Sonic icon elements as our first third-party icons since the Sonic Frontiers update is this week, but I doubt that’ll happen, unfortunately, lol.

Mega Drive NSO icons, another possibility for Sonic and other third parties to appear, would be so hype.

Though we haven't even gotten SNES yet... Still really, really hoping for Ness or Mr. Saturn.

Was hoping for some characters from the DLC but...here's the final wave of Pokemon icons.

Yeah!ing to agree with the sentiment; godforbid they actually offer icons beyond what you see in the first 2 hours of the game/Mew and Mewtwo

Wonder, Mario RPG, Wario and Peach will hopefully be fun icon sets. Would be nice to get some SNES stuff at some point.

Yeah!ing to agree with the sentiment; godforbid they actually offer icons beyond what you see in the first 2 hours of the game/Mew and Mewtwo

To be fair to them, when they first did SV icons they included a good number of Pokemon, but when they did the last few waves with the new DLC mascots they were repeating some icons over multiple waves which felt like a waste of slots that could have been used on Pokemon, trainers, teachers and gym leaders who didn't have icons yet. We don't need multiple weeks in a row of Mewtwo, Eevee and Pikachu. 😭 And even if they go that route, they could do what Splatoon did and use some unique art styles for some sets - like do some that are based on those plushes of Eevee wearing Eeveelution hoodies, or Pikachu with its many hats! There's so much potential going untapped.

I totally forgot that Detective Pikachu Returns was releasing so soon, so yeah, those make sense, lol.

imagine not doing SNES icons and not have the chance to get the Satellaview icon
honestly the NES/Famicom and N64 batch (which was ultimately lacking) were the best ones. The NES/Famicom batch was chock full of deep cuts, wish the N64 batch had the same amount of love. I know you probably wanted that 64DD, but I was hoping for like, the Hey You Pikachu microphone of GB Transfer Pack or something.

ngl nso icons fell off

I used to want em all. Started playing the mobiles games to get coins. Now they’re straight up boring.

clearly this means that nintendo needs to turn the key on the hype previously tapped into by amiibo: the next smash getting NSO icons for all fighters

Quoted by: Tye
clearly this means that nintendo needs to turn the key on the hype previously tapped into by amiibo: the next smash getting NSO icons for all fighters
This would be a fantastic use of amiibo! Wish they’d do it…

For anyone who may not have seen it, NoA showed a couple more icons coming in later waves:

Ngl I’m pretty excited for Slowpoke with a hat

The NSO app is showing Animal Crossing on the main page but there’s no AC icons in the rewards section??

Back
Top Bottom