• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

It sounds like they might be missing a few since i'm at 3189 myself (and I don't have the Nintendo Live exclusive icons either). Here's the tally I currently have:

ArYopji.png

I'm surprised by the relative low icon count for Splatoon 2, even though it is one of the few games that got the icon treatment long after its release date.

It's kind of disappointing that Mario Party (either Super or Superstars) didn't get any icon treatment because I think its range of characters in their standard getup makes it ideal for this treatment.

Thank you for reading.

There's also a 100 platinum coin reward up right now for playing F-Zero 99 (I think you just need to cross the finish line once) which I don't recall them doing with Tetris but it's been a long time since I last played that.
If I'm not mistaken, it's the first NSO mission to be tied to an in-game action. (Not counting launching games within an NSO app.)

They're basically building a backbone for an achievement system, I just wonder if they'll keep it in the state it's in with only NSO exclusive stuff and nothing outside it, or if in 12 months every first party title from then on has a handful of "in-game missions" for Platinum Points.

Last edited:
It's a very very simple spreadsheet but sure.
Sorry if I'm being a persnickety pain, but do you keep it updated at that particular link, that I might refer back to it to see an updated count in future?

I'm not saying you ought to do that if that's not what you're doing already, just curious if this is just a one time thing or if this'll be "live" as you get to it. NSO icons capture my curiosity for some forsaken reason.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the first mission to be tied to an in-game action. (Not counting launching games within an NSO app.)

They're basically building a backbone for an achievement system, I just wonder if they'll keep it in the state it's in with only NSO exclusive stuff and nothing outside it, or if in 12 months every first party title from then on has a handful of "in-game missions" for Platinum Points.
if we're getting technical, their mobile games have had more "traditional achievement-y" missions pretty much from the start. Mario Run had missions based on clearing worlds, FE Heroes had missions for beating chapters, and so on. I remember when My Nintendo first launched, people were already thinking "oh, this will be the backbone for an achievement system on the NX" and here were are 7 years later still thinking "OK, but this time for sure"

I think you're right that it's the first time they've had something that gameplay-specific for a Switch game though, so definitely some progress in that regard

Well if there was ever any doubt about which franchises Nintendo considers their crown jewels, there shouldn’t be any doubt now.

They wouldn’t slap a 2023 label on these if they didn’t plan on doing them again next year.

Also, Halloween icons when? I need that sweet Halloween Mario clip art as a profile icon.
Unfortunately that would also imply that the chance to unlock all the 2022 icons may be closed.

Late on this, but the third and last wave of SMRPG icons is up until tomorrow. I myself made sure to grab all the Axem Rangers

Is there any way to get these icons without having to upload everything manually to Twitter or Facebook? I adore some of them and would very much love to use them on various places, but uploading everything seems like a hassle...
It sounds like they might be missing a few since i'm at 3189 myself (and I don't have the Nintendo Live exclusive icons either). Here's the tally I currently have:

ArYopji.png
I'm still waiting for them to re-release the N64 icons, come on you cowards, it's all that I'm missing!
Also, those Nintendo Live icons being exclusive to an event so few could visit feels a bit... Cruel...

Last edited:
Has this been shared before? I came across it on Reddit and it was posted a few months ago. Not sure how up to date it is but thought some people might appreciate the resorce to double check if they have all the icons currently released (direct link to open in new tab)

Did share this link before, but yeah this database is very much active and up to date with all the sets released so far including SMRPG and the Festive Holiday icons

I’m a bit bummed with the new incoming Zelda icons because I was really hoping we’d get some for Another Code to go alongside the release. There’s still a chance they do come sometime in the next few weeks, but it does feel less likely now unfortunately :(

On the plus side, there’s some pretty fun new options for TotK! I’ll probably use the traveling Korok for a bit once the next wave releases.

I’m a bit bummed with the new incoming Zelda icons because I was really hoping we’d get some for Another Code to go alongside the release. There’s still a chance they do come sometime in the next few weeks, but it does feel less likely now unfortunately :(
We never did get any MC Horace Showpony icons, and unfortunately I think the same fate will be true for Ashley Robins as well. 😔

This thread kinda died, huh…

Anyway, uh…very curious to see what’s gonna happen with the MOTHER 3 icon elements once those release. Are we actually gonna get them outside of Japan despite not getting the game itself, or are they going to make some (normally available) icon elements region exclusive for the first time??

This thread kinda died, huh…

Anyway, uh…very curious to see what’s gonna happen with the MOTHER 3 icon elements once those release. Are we actually gonna get them outside of Japan despite not getting the game itself, or are they going to make some (normally available) icon elements region exclusive for the first time??

I’m gonna be optimistic and think that Nintendo understands that letting us have access to the Mother 3 icons is free and harmless. They don’t need to translate anything, they just need to say “yes, international users can access these icons.” I mean, when they were doing the NES icons, they let us have access to the icons of things like the Famicom Disk Writer and whatever. I’m willing to bet more international users know what Mother 3 is than know what the Famicom Disk Writer was.

I’m gonna be optimistic and think that Nintendo understands that letting us have access to the Mother 3 icons is free and harmless. They don’t need to translate anything, they just need to say “yes, international users can access these icons.” I mean, when they were doing the NES icons, they let us have access to the icons of things like the Famicom Disk Writer and whatever. I’m willing to bet more international users know what Mother 3 is than know what the Famicom Disk Writer was.
I’d hope so, but we’ll see… I find it odd that they haven’t announced icon elements for the entire MOTHER/EarthBound series yet outside of Japan, just the EarthBound Beginnings ones. Might be a sign that they’re not doing them all outside of Japan…

If we don’t end up getting them, though, I wonder if it’s possible to change your Nintendo Account’s region to Japan and redeem them that way, and then change back? You can purchase and download stuff from the Japanese eShop that way, after all, so I imagine it should work, but there’s never really been a reason to try it with the NSO HOME Menu app before, lol.

Well... looks like I'm heading back to the FEH mine for the next month

Guess I'm not the only one. Kinda funny that knowing I can easily access thousands of coins from FEH has made it basically just my go-to whenever I need EarthBound goodies from My Nintendo. First the notebook, now these.

Oddly enough I had to take a break from relying on the Fire Emblem Heroes mines for Plat points because I was ending up with too many points leftover (and thus having points go to waste via expiration).

I'm nowadays usually getting around 500-550 platinum points from Mario Run per month by just doing the daily toad rally and 3 weekly wins. And around 1000 unspecified platinum points per month by doing the following:
  • NSO app weekly missions
  • MyNintendo site weekly clickable "hidden" 30 points (like the NSO app missions it refreshes mondays and it's always right on the main my (dot) nintendo (dot) com page.)
  • check mynintendo site for any other clickable "hidden" 10 points.

And that 1500 is usually enough for all NSO platinum point rewards per month.

The fact that nintendo is splitting these by individual games rather than as a series makes me pretty sure they are just gonna make the Mother 3 icons JP only.

Already had made a JP account and am making sure to save up at least 200 plat points for what I assume will be 20 Mother 3 icons for 10 plat points each.

Quoted by: Tye
The fact that nintendo is splitting these by individual games rather than as a series makes me pretty sure they are just gonna make the Mother 3 icons JP only.

Already had made a JP account and am making sure to save up at least 200 plat points for what I assume will be 20 Mother 3 icons for 10 plat points each.
Yeah, that worries me too… Why else would they split them up like this? The Pikmin icon elements only got a single “Pikmin” category despite having icons spanning the entire series, for example.

Really hoping I’ll be able to just change my account’s region to get the Mother 3 icon elements on my main account if they do end up being Japanese exclusive… No point in just using a separate account to do it, ’cause then you’ll never be able to use those icons on your main account! Unless you only want them on your Japanese account, of course.

For a series where cool battle backgrounds is one of its main highlights, it’s disappointing as hell that they didn’t do any background elements for Earthbound

Disappointing, but expected after they also went background-less for the NES and 64 set.

Well, at least the EB0 set can have an authentic battle background by just setting the color to black.

Nintendo has consistently not given us background or frame icon elements when the icons are sprites, so this is just in line with that. I’m guessing it’s because not all of the sprites are at the same scale, so some sprite icons would look really bad against some backgrounds, especially sprite backgrounds that are at a different scale. So it’s probably due to that, and to ensure the readability of the sprites, that Nintendo only allows for solid color backgrounds with them.

If the Mother 3 icons do end up being region-exclusive, then consider me extra annoyed that we never got any for Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp, even though that game’s character art would’ve fit perfectly :/

(I’m still leaning towards believing they will release the Mother 3 ones worldwide though, for consistencies sake)

(I’m still leaning towards believing they will release the Mother 3 ones worldwide though, for consistencies sake)
The argument for them being region exclusive has major “they’ll cut Lucas from Brawl” energy

Theyre literally just a handful of PNG files. There’s no effort to release them here and I’m sure by now Nintendo has made their peace with most people playing the game via unoffficial means outside Japan.

If they do get released outside of Japan, it’s gonna be kinda surreal to see “MOTHER 3™” alongside EarthBound Beginnings™, EarthBound™, and all the other English language titles in the icon element menu, lol. (Actually, I guess there probably wouldn’t be a trademark symbol for Mother 3, considering NoA wouldn’t have trademarked that…or have they?? 🤔)

If they do get released outside of Japan, it’s gonna be kinda surreal to see “MOTHER 3™” alongside EarthBound Beginnings™, EarthBound™, and all the other English language titles in the icon element menu, lol. (Actually, I guess there probably wouldn’t be a trademark symbol for Mother 3, considering NoA wouldn’t have trademarked that…or have they?? 🤔)
they can change the title whenever they need to

they can change the title whenever they need to
I wasn’t even suggesting that it would be weird if Mother 3 itself eventually released outside of Japan, just that it would be weird seeing the game listed among all the other localized titles, lol.

How do they refer to it in smash bros?

How do they refer to it in smash bros?
What do you mean? It’s just “Mother 3” in Smash, but Smash is no stranger from referencing Japanese-exclusive titles. I’m just saying that it’ll be strange in the icon elements menu which is exclusively localized titles so far, so seeing Mother 3 along side all that will be amusing if it actually happens.

dYmqwTp.jpeg

Unless you’re talking about the trademark symbol thing, in which case Smash doesn’t use that at all in-game for any game titles. Also the Japanese NSO app doesn’t use trademark symbols at all either, but that’s probably just because they don’t need to in Japan. Not exactly sure how trademark law works in this context or when exactly the symbol is required, though, lol.

Welp. NIntendo updated their NSO rewards system and now the way it works is you have to play the specified title before you can redeem rewards for it. First two games they are applying it to is Super Mario World rewards and Animal Crossing New Horizons rewards.

They will probably do the same thing with Mother 3.

Welp. NIntendo updated their NSO rewards system and now the way it works is you have to play the specified title before you can redeem rewards for it. First two games they are applying it to is Super Mario World rewards and Animal Crossing New Horizons rewards.

They will probably do the same thing with Mother 3.

Seems like it only applies to the monthly NSO bonus point game and reruns of existing icon parts, based on the finer text for Animal Crossing.

Yeah, I don’t think this is gonna be how all icon elements are handled going forward. And if they did do the Mother 3 ones this way (I don’t think they will), that shouldn’t matter because the NSO classic game apps are region free anyway—the main issue would be whether or not the Mother 3 icon element event is even active outside of Japan.

Yeah, downloading and playing the Japanese NSO app for long enough to unlock the icons would be trivially easy, so even if it were the case, it'd be fine-ish for Mother 3.

In any case, now that we're finally getting more icons for more games actually on NSO, we just gotta wait for Nintendo to stop fucking around and give us what The People want now that we've gotten Mr. Saturn.

image.png

At least I have more of a reason to look foward to the monthly spotlight game now; was already swimming in points without them, lol.

I looked into things a bit and (not counting a set of Wonder promotional events afaik exclusive to AU/NZ) this is actually the first rerun monthly mission game since the service started:

MonthTitlePlatform
2022/03Super Mario Bros.NES
2022/04Super MetroidSNES
2022/05Kirby Super StarSNES
2022/06Kirby's Dream Land 3SNES
2022/07Dr. MarioNES
2022/08Mario's Super PicrossSNES
2022/09Super Mario Bros. 3NES
2022/10The Legend of ZeldaNES
2022/11Panel de PonSNES
2022/12Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's IslandSNES
2023/01Star FoxSNES
2023/02Donkey KongNES
2023/03Super Mario WorldSNES
2023/04Super Mario Bros. 2NES
2023/05Super Mario KartSNES
2023/06Kirby Tilt ‘n’ TumbleGB
2023/07Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden CoinsGB
2023/08Donkey Kong CountrySNES
2023/09ExcitebikeNES
2023/10Kirby's AdventureNES
2023/11Wario Land 3GB
2023/12YoshiNES
2024/01The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the PastSNES
2024/02Donkey Kong Jr.NES
2024/03Super Mario WorldSNES

Of these games six already have icons from the NES NSO icon set (SMB1, SMB3, Zelda 1, Donkey Kong Dr. Mario and Excitebike) but even if they stick to a similar pool at first that's a lot of games that could potentially see new icons in the coming months. Rooting for Panel de Pon the most myself!

Maybe Expansion Pack exclusive missions will start running eventually too so we can see N64 (reruns and new) and GBA icons; Mega Drive is probably not happening since there's been no third-party icons so far but that'd be awesome.

something something improving relationships with partners something give me mega drive icons

if part of the premise for these releases is to encourage people to play the games that week, c'mon, it's on the service already, at least do SEGA-owned stuff so there's less third parties to wade through

Seems like it only applies to the monthly NSO bonus point game and reruns of existing icon parts, based on the finer text for Animal Crossing.
I also wonder if it’s going to be largely applicable only for games that are tied to NSO subs in some way. Like the featured retro game each month and games like Animal Crossing which have their DLC available via the Expansion tier.

Quoted by: Tye
I also wonder if it’s going to be largely applicable only for games that are tied to NSO subs in some way. Like the featured retro game each month and games like Animal Crossing which have their DLC available via the Expansion tier.
I think the new ones that are like this, like these SNES ones starting with Super Mario World, will likely be limited to stuff exclusive to NSO, but for repeat icon elements from games done in the past I think it’ll be open to anything. Given the menu for the Animal Crossing ones, it doesn’t show the actual icon elements until after you select the game, so it seems they plan to have multiple games available at the same time all within that same menu. So this seems like it’s probably their way of doing more frequent repeat events without bogging down the menus and distracting too much from the new stuff.

Gotta admit, though, with the restrictions on having to actually play the games, I kinda wish these weren’t tied to limited time events on top of that. Would be really nice if, after a certain period, the icon elements for any game that you’ve played before become available for you to redeem at any time. Would just be a nice bonus for actually owning the game, y’know? Plus it would be a reliable way to get any icon elements you may have missed without having to wait for a specific repeat event to come around (if one even ever does in the first place, and even repeat events don’t always feature all of the previous available icon elements).

Gotta admit, though, with the restrictions on having to actually play the games, I kinda wish these weren’t tied to limited time events on top of that
Agreed. It's already kinda annoying they rotate out at all, but then requiring you also own/play specific games to even be allowed to get certain time-limited icons feels like gating upon gating just for the sake of it

I kinda think they should be one or the other; either a set of icons is always available but only if you've played the associated game, or a set is only available for a limited but anyone can get them

Not a fan of this change with the exception of the way it outs poser fans ("I love this game, I want all the icons! Play the game? What a ridiculous idea! I'm too much of a fan to play it.")

The AC example demonstrates the problem. The rules are far too complicated for something like this. It's fucking icons. There should not be fine print.

The menu is now cluttered with this ugly message and the AC list is nested within another list.

It's just so much messier for something that should be the simplest.

Back
Top Bottom