• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

I think I have all of the digital rewards that are available now. Although I definitely haven't been good enough at keeping up with them.

Feels like a good time to check I haven’t missed any; are these the right numbers for the more recent sets?

IMG_2475.png

I have the same numbers. The Zelda number gave me PTSD this morning. I was sure i missed one piece...

Feels like a good time to check I haven’t missed any; are these the right numbers for the more recent sets?

IMG_2475.png
Can confirm, same numbers here and I’ve been very sure not to miss any icon elements!

EDIT: Interesting, they call them “icon parts” in your region instead of icon elements, huh. And they also swap out the BotW key art to match your region’s box art—that confused me at first but I guess that makes sense! lol

Last edited:
Playing OBAKEIDORO! for the NSO mission.

This game is a better translation of Bravely Default's art style to Switch than Bravely Default II. And not only because the girl character looks like Agnes and the models look like 3DS graphics.

Impressed by everyone who has gotten everything.

While I dont want every icon part out there (dont really care for the Splatoon or AC ones for instance) It sucks that I missed some of the Odyssey and Zelda ones - and I'm not gonna lie.. it's mostly because the NSO is so slow and tedious, I just give up sometimes and leave the app because it's annoyingly slow. It's even worse than the E-shop.

While I dont want every icon part out there (dont really care for the Splatoon or AC ones for instance) It sucks that I missed some of the Odyssey and Zelda ones - and I'm not gonna lie.. it's mostly because the NSO is so slow and tedious, I just give up sometimes and leave the app because it's annoyingly slow. It's even worse than the E-shop.

I feel you. I don't quit it once I'm on there - but I definitely don't use it nearly as often as I would if it was smoother and more responsive.

Yeah I basically just check it once a week to get icons if it’s a theme I like, it’s too much of a pain to use on a regular basis. I think I’ve got all the BOTW ones but there’s a lot I’m missing

Oh god it's so slow, I can't even do it with controller because I end up misinputting because of button-mashing. It's actually terrible.

Why have I never heard of this OBAKEIDORO! game until this latest NSO Game Trial? It’s an asymmetric multiplayer game similar to PAC-MAN VS. and Nintendo Land’s Mario Chase, Luigi’s Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day! We need more of this on Switch!! Why haven’t I seen anyone talking about this game when it’s been out since 2019?!

Played a few matches with my partner earlier and it’s pretty fun! It’s the closest thing to those Nintendo Land attractions on Switch besides PAC-MAN VS., at least! Don’t sleep on this Game Trial, ya’ll!! At the very least download it for the Platinum Points and play the tutorial and a few matches if you’re a fan of asymmetric multiplayer games.

Only downside, aside from it being less polished than I’d like, is that the game’s pricier than I’d expect for what it is (and even more so if you include the DLC). But at 50% for $9.99 with the current sale, it’s not too bad! Just wish it was cheaper so it’d be easier to convince friends to pick it up so that we could have some good local multiplayer with it sometime.

Why have I never heard of this OBAKEIDORO! game until this latest NSO Game Trial? It’s an asymmetric multiplayer game similar to PAC-MAN VS. and Nintendo Land’s Mario Chase, Luigi’s Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day! We need more of this on Switch!! Why haven’t I seen anyone talking about this game when it’s been out since 2019?!

Played a few matches with my partner earlier and it’s pretty fun! It’s the closest thing to those Nintendo Land attractions on Switch besides PAC-MAN VS., at least! Don’t sleep on this Game Trial, ya’ll!! At the very least download it for the Platinum Points and play the tutorial and a few matches if you’re a fan of asymmetric multiplayer games.

Only downside, aside from it being less polished than I’d like, is that the game’s pricier than I’d expect for what it is (and even more so if you include the DLC). But at 50% for $9.99 with the current sale, it’s not too bad! Just wish it was cheaper so it’d be easier to convince friends to pick it up so that we could have some good local multiplayer with it sometime.
Cool, will download the trial later today. Do you need multiple Switches to enjoy the game?

Quoted by: Tye

I guess Dead by Daylight just ate its lunch. Both because the aesthetics are more appealing to the horror crowd and because OBAKEIDORO!'s mechanics are a bit too simplified to sustain long-term interest.

Playing it reminded me of one of the smaller 3DS multiplayer titles in the best way, though.

Cool, will download the trial later today. Do you need multiple Switches to enjoy the game?
Yeah, every player needs their own Switch. It supports both online play and local wireless play. If you don’t have friends to play with you can play online with randoms, though.

I guess Dead by Daylight just ate its lunch. Both because the aesthetics are more appealing to the horror crowd and because OBAKEIDORO!'s mechanics are a bit too simplified to sustain long-term interest.

Playing it reminded me of one of the smaller 3DS multiplayer titles in the best way, though.
Oh, is Dead by Daylight also an asymmetric multiplayer game?? I never looked into it at all because it’s very much not my aesthetic at all, and I literally can’t play horror games with realistic art styles, especially if they feature zombies. =P

And yeah, the game is pretty simple; like I said it’s comparable to the competitive Nintendo Land attractions or PAC-MAN VS., but I guess this one’s a harder sell since it’s just one game rather than part of a compilation like the others I mentioned.

But this is the kind of multiplayer that the Wii U did best and is frustratingly uncommon on Switch so I’ll take whatever I can get!

Oh, is Dead by Daylight also an asymmetric multiplayer game?? I never looked into it at all because it’s very much not my aesthetic at all, and I literally can’t play horror games with realistic art styles, especially if they feature zombies. =P

And yeah, the game is pretty simple; like I said it’s comparable to the competitive Nintendo Land attractions or PAC-MAN VS., but I guess this one’s a harder sell since it’s just one game rather than part of a compilation like the others I mentioned.

But this is the kind of multiplayer that the Wii U did best and is frustratingly uncommon on Switch so I’ll take whatever I can get!

Dead by Daylight is a less simplified OBAKEIDORO! with the same basic concept of a group of survivors trying to escape a monster, the monster having to catch them, and the survivors being able to free each other if caught. What it adds is giving the survivors a set of objectives to complete so they can't just hide and sit out a timer in order to win. But other than that the two games have more in common than not, down to a long list of unlockable characters and killers.

Dead by Daylight is a less simplified OBAKEIDORO! with the same basic concept of a group of survivors trying to escape a monster, the monster having to catch them, and the survivors being able to free each other if caught. What it adds is giving the survivors a set of objectives to complete so they can't just hide and sit out a timer in order to win. But other than that the two games have more in common than not, down to a long list of unlockable characters and killers.
Huh, okay, I guess that probably explains the popularity of it then, since asymmetric multiplayer games are the bomb. Too bad it’s not the kind of game I can play visually and theming-wise, though. XP

Huh, okay, I guess that probably explains the popularity of it then, since asymmetric multiplayer games are the bomb. Too bad it’s not the kind of game I can play visually and theming-wise, though. XP
tbh you're better off. Dead by Daylight is a game where if you don't absolutely stomp the other side, you feel like they're horribly OP the entire time. I've played over 200 hours of it and it mostly is just matches that leave you frustrated, especially with certain monsters being unquestionably overpowered. Nobody's really happy with the state of the game as well, as updates neglect to fix balance issues while the whole gameplay loop continues to be more or less frustration.

tbh you're better off. Dead by Daylight is a game where if you don't absolutely stomp the other side, you feel like they're horribly OP the entire time. I've played over 200 hours of it and it mostly is just matches that leave you frustrated, especially with certain monsters being unquestionably overpowered. Nobody's really happy with the state of the game as well, as updates neglect to fix balance issues while the whole gameplay loop continues to be more or less frustration.
Ah, well so far what I’ve played of OBAKEIDORO! seems pretty well balanced for each side, at least! Plus it supports local play (both wirelessly with multiple systems and split screen on a single system) while it looks like Dead by Daylight is only online, so there’s that, too. =p

It’s N64 Icon Day (and everybody’s celebrating)
As in the second wave, or is this the first?

I want them so bad but upgrading the Expansion Pass would be a waste as I don't have time for N64 games right now. Plus I'm not sure if I realistically even want to change from the cute green Animal Crossing bunny! Never seen him in my game but he's great.

As in the second wave, or is this the first?

I want them so bad but upgrading the Expansion Pass would be a waste as I don't have time for N64 games right now. Plus I'm not sure if I realistically even want to change from the cute green Animal Crossing bunny! Never seen him in my game but he's great.
It’s the first wave.

Nintendo got me.

I wanted those icons, and now they got me.

Fuck.

I'm also gonna be playing those Mario Party titles, and maybe I'll finally give Banjo a fair shake, but it's a lot funnier to say it's just for icons.

Nintendo got me.

I wanted those icons, and now they got me.

Fuck.

I'm also gonna be playing those Mario Party titles, and maybe I'll finally give Banjo a fair shake, but it's a lot funnier to say it's just for icons.
Honestly I think the NSO Expansion Pack is genuinely a great deal. N64 Games are way more substantial than NES games/most SNES games, and the Genesis games are basically ALL bangers and I recommend almost ALL of them.

I just can't justify the €20 extra for just N64 games, there's better alternatives for the Mega Drive games already on the Switch. If it was a tenner or I had a choice between the included Sega games I'd been on the bandwagon first day, but as it stands it's just not enough and too much at the same time.

I just can't justify the €20 extra for just N64 games, there's better alternatives for the Mega Drive games already on the Switch. If it was a tenner or I had a choice between the included Sega games I'd been on the bandwagon first day, but as it stands it's just not enough and too much at the same time.
While the value of (cool E symbol)20 is going to be entirely subjective, I do have to argue: the emulation quality on that Genesis/Mega Drive collection on Switch is not great and is missing a few fantastic titles on the NSO app. The NSO app’s emulator is by M2, and is frankly brilliant.

I get that the Sega stuff on NSO+EP isn’t gonna be for everyone but it’s an absolute treat for Sega fans. Also the 6B Mega Drive controller (that is woefully Japan only) is [chef’s kiss] if you’re down to get your import on.

It’s N64 Icon Day (and everybody’s celebrating)
I don't see them. I guess it's wait until the first.

I put about sixty combined hours into two N64 games after getting the Expansion Pack in December. That works out to a dollar an hour for entertainment spending. Not bad!

The special icons for the next three months are a bonus. But if Nintendo really wanted me to keep paying for the Expansion Pack, they'd drop Animal Forest with an added English language option on N64 NSO.

I don't see them. I guess it's wait until the first.

I put about sixty combined hours into two N64 games after getting the Expansion Pack in December. That works out to a dollar an hour for entertainment spending. Not bad!

The special icons for the next three months are a bonus. But if Nintendo really wanted me to keep paying for the Expansion Pack, they'd drop Animal Forest with an added English language option on N64 NSO.

They’re going up at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific!

As cool as Animal Forest would be in English, that’d be a boatload of work for them to do. It’s not just a matter of translating the script: Animal Forest on N64 has a LOT of Japan-specific holidays/events that they stripped out and replaced for the GCN release. Unless they wanted to just keep it full-on Japan Style, they’d have to do more work than I think they’d like.

It’d be easier for them to find a way to get you the GameCube version honestly.

They’re going up at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific!

As cool as Animal Forest would be in English, that’d be a boatload of work for them to do. It’s not just a matter of translating the script: Animal Forest on N64 has a LOT of Japan-specific holidays/events that they stripped out and replaced for the GCN release. Unless they wanted to just keep it full-on Japan Style, they’d have to do more work than I think they’d like.

It’d be easier for them to find a way to get you the GameCube version honestly.
I feel like the GameCube is the point at which Nintendo thinks full-priced remakes are better than mere re-releases. I would also guess that they have other games they'd be more interested in re-making well before AC.

I am not Japanese, but I am interested in other cultures. Give me Japan-centric AC! I would love another avenue besides books and NHK's culture-centered programming to learn about Japanese holidays and celebrations!

I feel like the GameCube is the point at which Nintendo thinks full-priced remakes are better than mere re-releases. I would also guess that they have other games they'd be more interested in re-making well before AC.

I am not Japanese, but I am interested in other cultures. Give me Japan-centric AC! I would love another avenue besides books and NHK's culture-centered programming to learn about Japanese holidays and celebrations!

I think there’s gonna be tiers to how Nintendo approaches GameCube stuff. A straight-up NSO app wouldn’t work. The games are too big and a lot of them would sell on their own, so I think a lot of them will get HD Remasters, but to varying levels. Games like the two Zeldas, they already got big, expensive, extensive HD remasters on Wii U, so I think those ports will come over eventually. I think the Metroid Prime 1 Remaster will be of the same calibre. That said, I think Nintendo also knows there are a lot of fan-favourite GCN games that maybe don’t warrant that amount of work, but will still get brought over just with less work done to them. For example, I think F-Zero GX will eventually get ported to Switch, but I think the only real difference is gonna be widescreen support and the AX content will be thrown in. Maybe they’ll run the cutscenes through the same AI upscaler they put Super Mario Sunshine’s cutscenes through, but they’re not gonna re-render them in widescreen or anything. Maybe they’ll crop them?

Honestly I think the NSO Expansion Pack is genuinely a great deal. N64 Games are way more substantial than NES games/most SNES games, and the Genesis games are basically ALL bangers and I recommend almost ALL of them.
In my heart I know you’re right, I know I’ve been holding out for GB/GBA before upgrading.

I swear if these icons break my willpower I’m not sure what to do with myself

NSO + Expansion Pack is in a weird in between space. When compared to other subscription services, it definitely offers less but those other subs also cost twice as much or more. $50 a year is a good chunk of change but if you play a lot of retro games, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing, it's not a bad deal. And if you are part of a family plan, you are paying as low as $10 annually for all of it.

Nah it’s tomorrow, same time Mario Party 1 and 2 drop on the N64 app. N64 icons aren’t taking the place of the usual monthly wave; it’s a separate thing.
Wait, MP1+2 is out tomorrow??? Not the usual Friday (thursday night) release?

heck yeah

Bummer the NSO icons aren’t out today though, I GUESS I can wait an extra 24 hours….

Slurms MacKenzie icon!

This also makes me realise I forgot to grab stuff from the last set of BOTW icons. I'm gonna be honest, I sleep on this a little when the game is something that's already been represented or is from a series that has plenty of default icons on Switch anyway. Hoping there's a second spotlight software this month and that the N64 icons don't take that slot away from those of us without the Expansion, or all my FEH-farmed points are gonna just expire at this rate.

Chances of getting Banjo icons from the N64 ones?

Maybe if they do more in the future, but we know the games in the initial three waves of icons:

November: Super Mario 64, Kirby 64, Majora’s Mask
December: Ocarina of Time, Yoshi’s Story, F-Zero X
January: Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64

Plus a few general N64 icons (console + controllers; maybe accessories and N64DD if it’s like NES, we’ll see) each month.

Back
Top Bottom