• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Sports |ST| WiiSPN 3 (Golf Update is Live)

What future sports would you like to see added?

• Archery

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Baseball/Softball

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • Boxing

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Frisbee/Disc Golf

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Power Cruising/Air Sports

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Table Tennis

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Lacrosse

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Croquet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Handball

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Pickle ball

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other (mention in comments)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Finally picked it up today. So does this have a tutorial to practice? I tried badminton and I felt like I didn’t know what to do. The CPU kept doing these shots against me that I couldn’t do.

Same with Tennis. I figured out a lob shot luckily. But not sure how to do the other shots.
No real tutorials for tennis. Badminton has nothing either. I found the key is to hit at the top of blue arch and you’ll get a yellow straight line shot. Keep that up until they miss hit and get the squiggly line shot. Then smash it for your pink spike shot. If the opponent hits a yellow line shot at you, use your drop shot to reset that. It seems they can’t get a power hit off of a drop shot.

I haven’t been spying attention. Do you just go up as you keep winning in online mode? Nothing special to select?

From the moment you boot up the game for the first time, just keep playing games and winning more than you lose, and you'll automatically start getting into ranked

It's a much better system than, say, smash so far.

Ergonomically, Wiimotes were way better for this than joycons.
Same with Skyward Sword HD. There’s just something about the smaller size of the Joy-Con that makes some motion games like this feel a bit awkward compared to similar games on Wii using a Wii Remote. I kinda wish Nintendo would release some kind of official attachment that adds some weight and elongates the Joy-Con or something like that for these kind of games, lol. Like, Chambara wants you to hold both hands on the Joy-Con when you swing—how?! I can’t even comfortably do that with my small hands! lol

Same with Skyward Sword HD. There’s just something about the smaller size of the Joy-Con that makes some motion games like this feel a bit awkward compared to similar games on Wii using a Wii Remote. I kinda wish Nintendo would release some kind of official attachment that adds some weight and elongates the Joy-Con or something like that for these kind of games, lol. Like, Chambara wants you to hold both hands on the Joy-Con when you swing—how?! I can’t even comfortably do that with my small hands! lol

They did! No one bought it.
batteriswitch.jpg

They did! No one bought it.
batteriswitch.jpg
That’s not quite what I mean and I don’t think it would help much, lol. I mean something that you actually insert the Joy-Con into to elongate them, not just giving slightly more grip and weight like those. It’s both the thickness and length that’s the issue, I think. Having something more like the Wii Remote in its dimensions would probably be more ideal for a lot of these motion games, especially 1:1 swordplay stuff like Chambara and Skyward Sword HD.

Badminton is hands down my favorite game. Soccer probably my least, but I think that’s just a combo of learning the positioning and having teammates that are in the same boat.

How do you unlock new hairstyles ? Doesn't seem to be via online play so I'm confused
It seems like it will be unlockable through online play after the current sets phase out.

General thoughts after a couple days with the game:

Man I wish they just ported Resort with online instead. It had so much more…

Maybe I’m missing something but here’s 2 questions

1) how do you play ranked matches like Nintendo advertised where you reach certain leagues, etc

2) is there a way to walk around the areas? Free roam the environment? Maybe I misread something but it seemed to imply you could do it.

Really digging this game. For forty bucks I’m not complaining. Chambara was surprisingly a lot of fun.

Can’t wait for golf, but hope they add some more games too.

Really digging this game. For forty bucks I’m not complaining. Chambara was surprisingly a lot of fun.

Can’t wait for golf, but hope they add some more games too.
When I look at Spocco Square, I see a spot in the center, the spot where “random” is and the docks that all look like they could be a venue/way to get to a venue. This could check out with golf and the datamined sports, but hopefully there is more (or power cruising is added to the dock area).

When I look at Spocco Square, I see a spot in the center, the spot where “random” is and the docks that all look like they could be a venue/way to get to a venue. This could check out with golf and the datamined sports, but hopefully there is more (or power cruising is added to the dock area).

Had the same thought when I saw those buildings. Also the center big one looks ripe for adding something interesting. Going by the loading screen saying a spot where you can relax after playing sports.

I have played some sports from Nintendo Switch Sports.

• Chambara is my favourite. It is clearly more accurate than the Wii Sports Resort version. It is also more versatile now because there is an expanded moveset.
  • I think tennis works more or less the way it used to in Wii Sports.
  • In Wii Sports Bowling, you had to release the B button in time to throw the ball. With Nintendo Switch Sports, you have to hold the ZR button the whole time. That was something I had to get used to.
  • Football... I am not good at it. The sport is clearly inspired by Rocket League and I can't play that well either.

I haven't played online yet, but I was saddened that there was so little offline single player content. Unlike the Wii Sport games, you don't get points after each offline match, and there are only three difficulty levels for CPU opponents. In the Wii Sports games, the CPU opponents evolved with you.

Really struggling to aim in Football! Is the direction generally caused by the way the camera is facing?

As someone who's not really into online play, having Nothing unlock by offline play sucks.
In this game the online feels easy to play. I don't see much difference to offline play really. And you don't have to win to get the points. If you are not into online I still recommend to try it with this one.

So, wait… I already completed both of the currently available item collections, and I’m just now realizing that I didn’t even get any new hairstyles unlocked?? What’s up with that?! We’re really still stuck with just 6 hairstyles for Sportsmates? I assumed that some new styles would be unlocked with the Completion Bonuses, since both item sets show new hairstyles being used… But apparently that’s not the case?? How are we supposed to unlock those hairstyles then?

So, wait… I already completed both of the currently available item collections, and I’m just now realizing that I didn’t even get any new hairstyles unlocked?? What’s up with that?! We’re really still stuck with just 6 hairstyles for Sportsmates? I assumed that some new styles would be unlocked with the Completion Bonuses, since both item sets show new hairstyles being used… But apparently that’s not the case?? How are we supposed to unlock those hairstyles then?
I’m guessing hair styles will be added in future item collections.
I’m guessing they are holding a lot of cosmetic stuff back because they want people to come back every week

Quoted by: Tye
I was disappointed too since the initial customization for Sportsmates is abysmal, but hair has to be an unlock in future packs. It looks like every Wednesday there should be a new set of items to unlock. When I first started playing offline, I noticed a Sportsmate with Green hair which we don’t have yet.

I’m guessing hair styles will be added in future item collections.
I’m guessing they are holding a lot of cosmetic stuff back because they want people to come back every week
Yeah, I get that, and as much as I wish more stuff was available at launch, I’m fine with it…but I don’t understand why they would advertise the Completion Bonus items with new hairstyles and then just…not include those?! I feel like it’s worse with the hairstyles, too, because there are so few to choose from currently, especially when compared to Miis, and they’re probably the single customizable feature that differentiates Sportsmates from each other most (since their faces are all so similar looking no matter how you customize them). It’s just kinda silly that everyone has to pick from one of these six hairstyles right now (or just use a Mii, of course, lol) so you’ve got a bunch of similar looking Sportsmates with identical hair, except for the bots which CAN use other hairstyles…

Yeah, I get that, and as much as I wish more stuff was available at launch, I’m fine with it…but I don’t understand why they would advertise the Completion Bonus items with new hairstyles and then just…not include those?! I feel like it’s worse with the hairstyles, too, because there are so few to choose from currently, especially when compared to Miis, and they’re probably the single customizable feature that differentiates Sportsmates from each other most (since their faces are all so similar looking no matter how you customize them). It’s just kinda silly that everyone has to pick from one of these six hairstyles right now (or just use a Mii, of course, lol) so you’ve got a bunch of similar looking Sportsmates with identical hair, except for the bots which CAN use other hairstyles…
Yeah it’s strange they did that but if they are adding stuff every week it won’t be long until we get a lot of options to choose from.
I just feel bad for people who won’t be able to get the hairstyle they want because all the sets are time limited for whatever reason

Quoted by: Tye
Yeah it’s strange they did that but if they are adding stuff every week it won’t be long until we get a lot of options to choose from.
I just feel bad for people who won’t be able to get the hairstyle they want because all the sets are time limited for whatever reason
Yeah, the hairstyles seem like an odd thing to have limited availability… I also just don’t really care for any of the default six either, so it’s particularly annoying to me, lol.

Then again I’m just using my Mii anyway so I dunno why I’m complaining about it. =P It’s just so surprising to me, I guess.

The customization options seem unnecessarily stingy. They needed to either offer more at the start or more per week. As much as I enjoy the six disciplines, the unlock system doesn't seem well thought out right now.

in case anyone doesn’t know in the game credits there’s a little tennis mini game.
Nothing amazing but if you hit the ball back 50 times you get a new title

I've had a great time with this so far, but has anyone had weird issues playing tennis online? I've had a few matches where the netcode seemingly can't keep up and the ball will just hover around my opponent for a few seconds before returning my shot.

I've had a great time with this so far, but has anyone had weird issues playing tennis online? I've had a few matches where the netcode seemingly can't keep up and the ball will just hover around my opponent for a few seconds before returning my shot.

Haven’t run into those issues personally. My only issue with tennis is the game doesn’t really teach you how to play so I’m still trying to figure out how to do special shots.

Also I’ll swing my joycon to the left or right to make the ball try to go in a certain direction but I can’t seem to get it to work?

Haven’t run into those issues personally. My only issue with tennis is the game doesn’t really teach you how to play so I’m still trying to figure out how to do special shots.

Also I’ll swing my joycon to the left or right to make the ball try to go in a certain direction but I can’t seem to get it to work?
I certainly have that issue, too. I played against someone who clearly knew the timing last night and got rocked immediately.

Direction works with the timing of your swing. For example if you swing early from right side the ball will go more left and if you swing later it will go more to the right.

Getting the hang of tennis a bit better. Volleyball so far is the trickiest one to mail the timing.

Completed the first set of items today. The bonus was a bit disappointing since I was hoping it was several pieces I could mix and match, but it’s a whole outfit.

I hope they have big plans for the future updates.

The dock area on the map makes me hopeful for some water sports. Power Cruising and Wakeboarding were some of the best parts of Resort.

What's confusing me a little bit is that the game says new rewards will be added every week but the Simple Collection rewards are available for another 7 days. I guess they'll have more than 2 rewards collections up at the same time?

What's confusing me a little bit is that the game says new rewards will be added every week but the Simple Collection rewards are available for another 7 days. I guess they'll have more than 2 rewards collections up at the same time?
I’m guessing there will ultimately be three sets up at once so it must really be 7 days + hours. It should roll out at some point today.

I got a tip today that you have three weeks to get a set do they must do 3 at once starting from whoever they update the game this week

I feel like the game is simple to a fault. Past games at least had some progression where you started with an easy course then unlocked medium and hard.

That’s the aspect where it all being so online focused hurts it. There’s no solo modes chasing high scores. The only thing to “do” is unlock Pro rankings and play enough matches to collect gear.
Bowling is the only game right now that isn’t a straight up match facing up against an opponent.

I hope they add a lot more games and a lot more variety with them.

I’ll repeat, bring back water sports!

Would have liked more single player content, but the games are pretty awesome in multiplayer. Haven't even tried voleyball yet.

I feel like the game is simple to a fault. Past games at least had some progression where you started with an easy course then unlocked medium and hard.

That’s the aspect where it all being so online focused hurts it. There’s no solo modes chasing high scores. The only thing to “do” is unlock Pro rankings and play enough matches to collect gear.
Bowling is the only game right now that isn’t a straight up match facing up against an opponent.

I hope they add a lot more games and a lot more variety with them.

I’ll repeat, bring back water sports!

It's weird that Nintendo chose one focus over another instead of just... doing both. I feel like they could have easily had other side modes without distracting from the online multiplayer. Compared to the previous entries there's a lot missing that gave those games that "arcade-y" feeling. Obviously this would have required work and a higher investment but I think the game justifies it. I guess they really wanted it to be budget priced for some reason.

In many ways I prefer Switch Sports to its predecessors. Like, I have a lot of love for Wii Sports Resort but I found quite a few disciplines a bit shallow or outright bad (like cycling and canoeing, sorry fans of these two). So I wasn't really opposed to a lower total number of disciplines, especially since I find all 6 of them fun in Switch Sports. But, as you say, they've been stripped to the bare minimum for the most part and it's a bit of a shame that there's so little to do outside of pure multiplayer. Hell, even Wii Sports Club added several training modes for every single sport.

Back
Top Bottom