• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Switch Sports announced, launches April 29th (UPDATE: main theme in threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No indication that there will be additional sports beyond what's been announced. Doesn't necessarily mean that it won't happen, just adjust your expectations.

I need more info about the nonhuman Sportsmate options!! Any sign of that from the data mining so far?

I need more info about the nonhuman Sportsmate options!! Any sign of that from the data mining so far?
iirc there are no mii files and no furry files

just the cookie cutter human sportsmates

Quoted by: Tye
How does that even work? Are items gated behind online play? Or do you mean the NSO expansion pak?

You earn items through online play and according to this dataminer it’s only 2 per week.

But you’d need a base subscription to play online anyway so I’m not sure.

iirc there are no mii files and no furry files

just the cookie cutter human sportsmates
Ah, guess we’ll probably have to wait until April to get more info about that then, damn… Still extremely torn as to whether I should use my Mii or use a nonhuman Sportsmate, lol.

Ah, guess we’ll probably have to wait until April to get more info about that then, damn… Still extremely torn as to whether I should use my Mii or use a nonhuman Sportsmate, lol.
The game's approach to Miis looks so out of place that I might actually use a furry

If I can get a cat it'll be a maybe, if I can get a raccoon it's a slam dunk*

*note that there are no literal slam dunks in Nintendo Switch Sports because it is a downgrade from Wii Sports Resort in every possible way

The game's approach to Miis looks so out of place that I might actually use a furry

If I can get a cat it'll be a maybe, if I can get a raccoon it's a slam dunk*

*note that there are no literal slam dunks in Nintendo Switch Sports because it is a downgrade from Wii Sports Resort in every possible way
As a tanuki furry myself, I’m also hoping for a raccoon—if only because that’s probably far more likely than a tanuki, lol. Though I’d probably settle for a fox before a raccoon, since they’re much more closely related to tanuki, despite what bad localization choices would lead you to believe. =P

But outside of Sportsmates basically sidelining Miis, what’s wrong with the game’s approach to Miis? They’ve got more detailed bodies than they typically have had in the past, sure, but that’s nothing new for Miis; even Smash Bros. did that with them. (And speaking of Smash, one good thing about Sportsmates is that they’ve opened the door for a Wii/Nintendo Switch Sports fighter in Smash…though the next Smash is probably so far off and uncertain that I try not to think too much about that, lol.)

But outside of Sportsmates basically sidelining Miis, what’s wrong with the game’s approach to Miis? They’ve got more detailed bodies than they typically have had in the past, sure, but that’s nothing new for Miis; even Smash Bros. did that with them. (And speaking of Smash, one good thing about Sportsmates is that they’ve opened the door for a Wii/Nintendo Switch Sports fighter in Smash…though the next Smash is probably so far off and uncertain that I try not to think too much about that, lol.)
it's minor but I don't care for the materials used

though it's moreso due to the rest of the game looking so different, y'know

they don't blend

it's minor but I don't care for the materials used

though it's moreso due to the rest of the game looking so different, y'know

they don't blend
Ah, yeah, I get that. It is certainly odd to have two different types of customizable avatar characters in the same game like this, even if I can understand why Nintendo went with that decision. Kinda hope there’ll be a toggle that will let you change all NPCs from Sportsmates to Miis, in case you want to stick to just seeing one or the other in your game (except for when you play online, of course).

note that there are no literal slam dunks in Nintendo Switch Sports because it is a downgrade from Wii Sports Resort in every possible way
O Switch Sports is going to wipe the floor with Wii Sports, even if _Wii Sports Resort Motion + _ is also sneakin up behind it to apply a rear-naked chokehold.

It's not going to matter because Switch Sports' combo of increased fidelity, purple-squirrel avatars, online play, refined motion controls, possibility of Mr Saturn skins, novel tourney modes and the ability to add new content and events over time will see it win the war when all is said and done.

It "will* be a literal (motion-wrist-gesture) Slam-Dunk! (...At least when Switch Sports Basketball debuts, which I am calling around the time of the start of the new NBA '22-23 season.)

Also, the music is going to be better.

imo it's very clearly ring fit sports with a marketable brand grafted onto it, so congrats lol

I'm an EPD 4 Enjoyer myself so in a vacuum I like what they've done with the project
I think Ring Fit was pretty much flawless when it came to presentation, and so far this is looking up there too. Getting some real nice vibes from the Square and the background details in every sport (minus soccer which looks boring) is just pure joy for me.

I guess we'll see for the actual content, the modes, the sportsmates... But I'm definitely excited.

I loved Wii Sports and Resort, so I can't wait for this.

Wii Sports was never a game for a long play session, but it was a great way to start a gaming session. A quick bowl or game of tennis / baseball to warm up, and then check my body age.

I could never get into the golf. It was fine until you needed a short chip onto the green, with about half power. Then it would always overshoot and go much too far. And the boxing was too much like hard work.

There were some really fun events in Resort, even if there were a few stinkers.

This will be day one for me - I'm intrigued to play the volleyball in particular.

I downloaded the tech demo. If there was anything that could pull me off of Horizon this weekend, it is this game!

this is more racist than anything in punch-out
now I'm not saying the sportsmates are racist, but this certainly is unfortunate

tzWJnVb.jpg

edit: important context, this is matching up based on the names of default miis in wii sports/resort

This hurts more because I was expecting the grand return to be "Mii Sports"

especially after Miitopia

The fact that Nintendo doesn't really care about their named Miis is definitely unfortunate
yeah

I get that there are only so many names but the exact list was datamined and these are clearly meant to be replacements

caring about things Nintendo doesn't is seriously my greatest source of frustration as a fan

now I'm not saying the sportsmates are racist, but this certainly is unfortunate

tzWJnVb.jpg

edit: important context, this is matching up based on the names of default miis in wii sports/resort
this image is game set and match on why sportmates are so disappointing as unoffensive and even cute as they may be

this image is game set and match on why sportmates are so disappointing as unoffensive and even cute as they may be
ding ding ding

I've posted it like 10 times in the past 24 hours

if one looks at this and doesn't see the downgrade they're past arguing with

I don't really think the Sportsmates from the trailer are anything other than Nintendo saying fuck you to Wii Sports fans a small reference to those games but it's weird how they haven't shown off any of the physical customization options so far. Greying them out in the Play Test is pretty silly.

5sus70v.png

I don't really think the Sportsmates from the trailer are anything other than Nintendo saying fuck you to Wii Sports fans a small reference to those games but it's weird how they haven't shown off any of the physical customization options so far. Greying them out in the Play Test is pretty silly.

5sus70v.png
given that the random options are all premade and the datamined files have no reference to any Mii head implementation, I'd wager that the characters simply aren't finished yet

given that the random options are all premade and the datamined files have no reference to any Mii head implementation, I'd wager that the characters simply aren't finished yet
Let's pray to Miyamoto that the poor sobs get proper noses at release 🙏.

Good point. The game seems to be coming in pretty hot anyway. I'm not getting my hopes up for something super extensive but I'm curious to see what we can do with them. Would be weird to add all that other stuff but leave the faces like this.

Good point. The game seems to be coming in pretty hot anyway. I'm not getting my hopes up for something super extensive but I'm curious to see what we can do with them. Would be weird to add all that other stuff but leave the faces like this.
it could be down to the build, too. lots of weirdness to this project, I'd love to know about its development

I know this is me being especially difficult but I actually like the noses lol

it's the impressionist anime triangle realized wonderfully in 3D

they're just so homogeneous
The differently coloured undersides of the noses makes them look like they had a tragic accident in the kitchen :p

Reminder the online test doesn't have to be the latest build of the game. For all we know internally the game is way more cooked already.

The game is coming out without full support for the leg strap that they're bundling with it. I think it's fair to say that the game is coming in hot.
Quite interesting that they're pushing this out the door like that. Doesn't feel like there's much reason to. Seems to be something they're comfortable doing with sports games in particular lol.

so @totofogo I don't actually have much to say

I think it's plainly evident that there are better hair options for black people here, a common criticism of Miis, so even if the ultimately trivial cast of Wii Sports has been "whitewashed," I don't think it can be considered an overall step down

Not sure if linking to them is frowned upon but GX put their analysis up and I think I'm losing my mind. They also think that the lower right building is for Baseball.

1.5 hours to go!

Not sure if linking to them is frowned upon but GX put their analysis up and I think I'm losing my mind. They also think that the lower right building is for Baseball.

obligatory fuck Andre for how he treated his team, but I will give this a watch bc i am hype for tonight

Can’t wait to try it out tonight but you’d be crazy to believe I’m going to post my opinions on the play test lest Nintendo come and take away my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom