• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Switch Sports announced, launches April 29th (UPDATE: main theme in threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting the game in April. Just played with my sister and it was a ton of fun.

That was terrible.
In all four matches of Tennis the game refused to register my swings. You don’t have to hold another button, right? The controls here are pretty much just like in Wii Sports, or I am getting crazy? Adjusted my distance to my screen again and again, but no luck either.
Chambara worked better, because.. it actually worked. Well most of the time. Had one match with some real problems regarding the calibration process. The game wouldn’t let me go though the test screen. I pointed the Con towards the screen, pressed the button and nothing.

Last edited:
That was terrible.
In all four matches of Tennis the game refused to register my swings. You don’t have to hold another button, right? The controls here are pretty much just like in Wii Sports, or I am getting crazy? Adjusted my distance to my screen again and again, but no luck either.
Chambara worked better, because.. it actually worked. Well most of the time. Had one match with some real problems regarding the calibration process. The game wouldn’t let me go though the test screen. I pointed the Con towards the screen, pressed Y and nothing.
That's doesn't sound normal, huh. Has that joycon given you trouble before? Because that sounds like Bluetooth interference.

I enjoyed this, and I get why they included bowling battle royale, but I wish they maybe moved it to the end of the play test. It felt like it took forever. I enjoyed it but I wanted to feel like I was playing more during the 45 minutes rather than waiting for people to finish bowling round after round.

I feel like the people I played against this time were more skilled. I’m not buying the game anymore.

That's doesn't sound normal, huh. Has that joycon given you trouble before? Because that sounds like Bluetooth interference.
Never had something like that before, no. I just tried 1-2-Switch, some of the more precise games like the one with the treasure chests. Worked perfect without a hitch. And I played Turok just the day before with gyro aiming. Again, worked just fine.

Never had something like that before, no. I just tried 1-2-Switch, some of the more precise games like the one with the treasure chests. Worked perfect without a hitch. And I played Turok just the day before with gyro aiming. Again, worked just fine.
Just an anecdote, but I have played parts of 3 different sessions and have had zero control issues. Everything has been smooth and responsive, completely different from your experience. I'm sorry that it wasn't the same for you!

I really wasn’t sold on this, but now I am. My kids loved it.

It’s going to be nice to have a sports game that doesn’t need all the setup that Ring Fit does.

Just an anecdote, but I have played parts of 3 different sessions and have had zero control issues. Everything has been smooth and responsive, completely different from your experience. I'm sorry that it wasn't the same for you!
Yeah, looks like I am the odd one out here. That’s my punishment for never having any trouble with games like Wii Sports, Resort or Skyward Sword before. 😅

That was terrible.
Chambara worked better, because.. it actually worked. Well most of the time. Had one match with some real problems regarding the calibration process. The game wouldn’t let me go though the test screen. I pointed the Con towards the screen, pressed the button and nothing.
Pre-edit you said Y button, but the proper button is the X button. Could that have been the issue?

Not sure what was up with tennis. Did the racket at least follow your movement even if it wasn't doing registered swings, or did it just stay pretty still?

Warmed up a lot more to Chambara with the second and third sessions I played. Definitely going with Bowling > Chambara > Tennis as my ranking of the three available in the test. Tennis is fine; just a bit too simple (albiet more complex than the Wii original with the added spins, closer to Wii Sports Club).

Pre-edit you said Y button, but the proper button is the X button. Could that have been the issue?

Not sure what was up with tennis. Did the racket at least follow your movement even if it wasn't doing registered swings, or did it just stay pretty still?
No, I wasn’t sure anymore which button you had to press, but I did press X. That’s what I get for pausing my Xbox while posting and looking at that controller layout. ;)
Yes, the racket followed every movement with accuracy but just didn’t registered any swing at all. I couldn’t even serve the ball and had to rely on the automatic serve after the countdown was up.
Just did the last test. Same results again. Even took the Switch out and into another room. The strange thing is, the game had no problems recognizing my swings correctly in all rounds of Chambara.

No, I wasn’t sure anymore which button you had to press, but I did press X. That’s what I get for pausing my Xbox while posting and looking at that controller layout. ;)
Yes, the racket followed every movement with accuracy but just didn’t registered any swing at all. I couldn’t even serve the ball and had to rely on the automatic serve after the countdown was up.
Just did the last test. Same results again. Even took the Switch out and into another room. The strange thing is, the game had no problems recognizing my swings correctly in all rounds of Chambara.
The game updated my controller firmware. Maybe you didn’t do that step? Try updating the controllers.

That was terrible.

Had this exact same problem btw. Bowling and chambara worked, but I played several games of tennis that flat out did not work. Couldn't serve the ball, couldn't swing the racket.

Found out the issue was my left joycon. I'm left handed so I assigned all the minigames to use that one. Decided to switch the preference for tennis to the right joycon, and it worked perfectly fine! Was able to do all the motions and play it like normal.

I've been wondering if it was an issue with the motion controls in my left joycon. Tried calibrating it, double checking the controller software was updated, and so on. Hearing you have the same issue makes me wonder though if something is going on with the software updates for the joycons in this game.

The game updated my controller firmware. Maybe you didn’t do that step? Try updating the controllers.
It did run the update on startup. On both controllers.
Checked the status of my controllers again before starting the last test today. Reconnected and recalibrated everything.
Looks like my right Joycon is busted in a strange way. I tried to switch my preference to the left Con for Tennis but my time was up before the game could give me another run at it.

Edit: Thank you for your report, @Gartooth.

Last edited:
Interestingly, tennis was the game that didn’t have a calibration before you started. Maybe that’s related

Today I came to the realization that for kids in High School today, Wii Sports is as old as NES Duck Hunt was for me at their age.

Really interesting thread from datamining the demo, gonna bullet point the main takeaways

-3 CPU difficulties(Normal, Strong, Powerhouse)
-There is Lore for the facilities
-2 items online per week
-Neural network to calculate skill level
- In addition to human bodies, you will be able to pick furries, birds, robots, and sharks
-46 hair types, 13 hair colors, 9 eye colors, 13 types of facepaint, 14 brows, 5 skin colors
-71 clothes with color and gender variation
- STRINGS FOUND REFERENCING DODGEBALL AND BASKETBALL AS UPCOMING SPORTS(or scrubbed sports)

This was all from the demo, so obviously not all of it is final

Really interesting thread from datamining the demo, gonna bullet point the main takeaways

-3 CPU difficulties(Normal, Strong, Powerhouse)
-There is Lore for the facilities
-2 items online per week
-Neural network to calculate skill level
- In addition to human bodies, you will be able to pick furries, birds, robots, and sharks
-46 hair types, 13 hair colors, 9 eye colors, 13 types of facepaint, 14 brows, 5 skin colors
-71 clothes with color and gender variation
- STRINGS FOUND REFERENCING DODGEBALL AND BASKETBALL AS UPCOMING SPORTS(or scrubbed sports)

This was all from the demo, so obviously not all of it is final

DODGEBALL?! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO

oof I'm glad there's a datamine but that thread is pretty cringey

Yes, like every other platform that requires a sub to play online. How else would you unlock the content if you didn't have access to online?

Yes, mentioned and shown in the demo lol

Why is people in Twitter hating Spocco Square so much, I don't understand the obsession with Wuhu Island
Same reason people want Square to make another Super Mario RPG despite the fact that those people left to form Alpha Dream or be part of Intelligent Systems. People just want a damn logo or name sometimes for some weird reason.

I like Wuhu Island, but like, we can have more than one fictional location lol people are weird

This game is day 1 digital for me. I'm gonna be one of those people that brings their Switch outside and plays outdoor sports on their Switch....like the commercials.

Pre-ordered
Clubhouse Games Bowling was lacking the 4 player mode, Mario Tennis/Golf was to complex for my non gamer friends.
Really looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom