• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Switch Sports announced, launches April 29th (UPDATE: main theme in threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, there is a very suspicious harbour on the map...

screenshot-13-1644445847351.png
Why does Chambara show 3 joycons?

They kind of look like the evolution of Miis to me.

Day one for bowling alone though! This was one of my most wanted Switch games

Will be interessting to see if they are used more widely in other Nintendo games as well.

Bowling is the one game I always could get my non gamer friends motivated into joining.
The Clubhouse Games version only had 2 players, I hope this will be fixed with even more players compared to the original Wii Sports.
I regret getting the Mario versions of Tennis and Golf now having what I originally wanted.

i wish they had plans to add more sports, but with golf being released so long after launch, things aren't looking good.

edit: tho seems like people are are generally more optimistic than me and think more sports are coming.

i wish they had plans to add more sports, but with golf being released so long after launch, things aren't looking good.

edit: tho seems like people are are generally more optimistic than me and think more sports are coming.
It's difficult to say. Took them five freaking years to get on MK8 DLC.
I'm guessing that relates to available control schemes in its modes, and that it's the only game so far that supports using one or two dual cons. Possible dual wielding as a mode?
Yeah that makes sense.

It does look like Nintendo are moving away from Miis, sadly. If they just wanted to advance and extend the mii-creator to include more options they could have used the system that recently released on Switch with Miitopia.

I suspect part of the reason why they have new avatars is because of Football. Miis can't kick balls with their weirdo legs.

What generation did you start playing Nintendo systems? Most people who had their childhood and/or teen years with the Wii love the Mii’s. The fact that their not the focus is a huge bummer for many people who grew up with the original.

what are you, 40?

Mii implementation was great. I loved seeing Miis like Jesus and Annie Lennox turn up in random places in Mario Kart Wii; especially as the statue on Luigi Circuit.
Wii was my first Nintendo system, never really cared about them. I remember complaints when they got in Smash and Kart

I'm weirdly nostalgic for this, at 40 I will probably get it at launch (already have the strap from ring fit), I don't have my wii anymore and this is finally something that can actually replace wii sports

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I like the Sportmates. Of course, I like Xbox Avatars as well, so, what do I know 😆.

Time to become a e-sport tennis king again with fam and friends like the good ol wii days.

I like the new characters too. I’m honestly surprised the Miis are apparently a huge factor for some people’s enjoyment of this game haha
I like the Mii concept in general, an avatar style that can be used in games systemwide and even beyond. That the franchise of their original and biggest starring role is sidelining them with characters that all seem to have much more similar faces rather than enhance them like Miitopia or even replace them altogether with a new style of very customizable avatar is disappointing.

Tinfoil hat time

In the trailer @ 1:21, in the background of the Badminton court there's a "Cafe Buttons"

Is this an obvious sport reference I'm missing, or could this be a hint at button controls lmao

Some of the "analysis" videos I've seen of the debut trailer are ridiculous. I'm not gonna link them but someone said the building in the lower right corner is a baseball stadium and that the docked boats could be a hint that canoeing will return.

zumvtY5.jpeg

In any case, these three structures are currently unaccounted for. If I had to guess, I'd say that the lower right building is where you select Golf once it's available. The middle one seems like a general hub and the upper right is probably nothing... unless this is actually more of a Go Vacation spiritual successor than we thought and you can walk around in it. What struck me while rewatching the trailer was how detailed the environments are for mere backgrounds but it seems highly unlikely that they would just leave that out completely from the debut trailer... right?

Why does Chambara show 3 joycons?
You can play it with buttons or single joy-con.

Tinfoil hat time

In the trailer @ 1:21, in the background of the Badminton court there's a "Cafe Buttons"

Is this an obvious sport reference I'm missing, or could this be a hint at button controls lmao
It's just fictional brand.

Some of the "analysis" videos I've seen of the debut trailer are ridiculous. I'm not gonna link them but someone said the building in the lower right corner is a baseball stadium and that the docked boats could be a hint that canoeing will return.

zumvtY5.jpeg

In any case, these three structures are currently unaccounted for. If I had to guess, I'd say that the lower right building is where you select Golf once it's available. The middle one seems like a general hub and the upper right is probably nothing... unless this is actually more of a Go Vacation spiritual successor than we thought and you can walk around in it. What struck me while rewatching the trailer was how detailed the environments are for mere backgrounds but it seems highly unlikely that they would just leave that out completely from the debut trailer... right?
Lower left is definitely not Baseball stadium and bears absolutely no resemblance to anything baseball. I think you could be right with it being golf hub. Middle one is Chambara outside level. The docks are possible for some water events, but it could just as easily be just filler space for map.

Middle one is Chambara outside level.

Could be. The images we've seen of Chambara have been all inside so far, most likely in those rectangular buildings at the bottom:

img_lower_chambara01.jpg

It's possible that the outside area has different modes though.

Me too!
What are the sports that will be available in the demo?
I rewatched the reveal trailer(damn visuals are great) to check, and it's bawling, chambara and tennis!!

(Chambara looks really fun, I'll probably like this one)

hope the detective work is correct and baseball will come back. baseball is good!

very excited for this game. been wondering for like 4 years why switch never got a wii sports game.

Nothing has made me feel older than the reception to this game here. Wii Sports was very much “the game that was played for a month and then never again” in my circle, and I never even touched Resort due to lack of interest.

I’m not complaining, by the way. It’s just very interesting to see that this other perspective exists and is so strong. I’ll feel equally weird in 5 years when people clamor for Nintendoland or…umm…Game and Wario sequels.

hope the detective work is correct and baseball will come back. baseball is good!

very excited for this game. been wondering for like 4 years why switch never got a wii sports game.

What detective work are you referring to? I know the map suggests there should be more coming besides just golf, but haven’t seen anyone do a deep dive into what those could be.

While I was initially very dissapointed in the game because of it's lack of Mii focus (and the "tennis variations" taking spots), I'm starting to get pumped the more I hear about it. Spocco Square looks like a great successor to Wuhu Island as a location, and the returning sports themselves look better than ever. I'm just going to only use Mii's when I play to have as close of an experiecne to the original Wii Sports games as possible.

Nothing has made me feel older than the reception to this game here. Wii Sports was very much “the game that was played for a month and then never again” in my circle, and I never even touched Resort due to lack of interest.

I’m not complaining, by the way. It’s just very interesting to see that this other perspective exists and is so strong. I’ll feel equally weird in 5 years when people clamor for Nintendoland or…umm…Game and Wario sequels.

Isn’t Wii Sports basically the most popular “casual” console game of all time?

Surely you have to look past your own perspective in terms of anything you think about. It’s hardly surprising that an older gamer who posts on an internet gaming forum didn’t like the game as much as younger players or more casual players tbh. 😄

What detective work are you referring to? I know the map suggests there should be more coming besides just golf, but haven’t seen anyone do a deep dive into what those could be.

nah just was referring to people opining on what they could be, nothing further.

So if I have the leg strap from Ring Fit, I'm set to get the digital version and save 10 bucks, right? Or is it a different strap?

While I was initially very dissapointed in the game because of it's lack of Mii focus (and the "tennis variations" taking spots), I'm starting to get pumped the more I hear about it. Spocco Square looks like a great successor to Wuhu Island as a location, and the returning sports themselves look better than ever. I'm just going to only use Mii's when I play to have as close of an experiecne to the original Wii Sports games as possible.

My hope is that Volleyball and Badminton will have additional modes to set them further apart. Tennis seems to have three different courts now vs. two in Wii Sports although I don’t remember if the blue court behaved differently from the regular grassy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom