• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Switch Sports announced, launches April 29th (UPDATE: main theme in threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner had actually brought up missing things like Wii Bowling recently, so this will be a treat for her! I wonder if the Online Play Test will utilize and be able to demonstrate some of the benefits of the NPLN multiplayer updates?

Another question I have: I have heard others say that the motion controls of the Joy-Cons are not as good as those of the Wii (Motionplus) remote. Is this true?

I find it hilarious how much of its charm Switch Sports looses/wins with and without the Miis. Looks really good beyond that though! This and the MK8 DLC will keep my fed until Switch 2 rolls around to be honest.

so this is supposed to be the rumored '1-2 switch sequel' thngy? im pretty good with that.

also ig this is a hot take now but the miis have always looked kinda bad to me. i'm pretty happy if they're moving away now, the new models look solid

Definitely in for this. I'm sad Golf isn't in the initial lineup since that was my second favorite activity after Tennis.

I'm amused at seeing the Ring Fit strap reappearing in another title. And the shattering goal barrier thing reminded me of the BlastBall demo 😆

As someone for whom the Wii remains my second favourite console of all time, it warms my heart to see this series live on.

Playing Wii Sports Resort for the first time back in 2009 was one of the most mind-blowing experiences in my entire life as a gamer, and spending that summer playing it with my brother and mum and stepfather, (the latter two of whom aren't usually gamers) laughing and cheering and crying out in triumph and dismay was such a magical time of warm, happy memories.

Personally I have no interest in this, but my little cousins love Wii Sports. Last year I went on a vacation with my mom's side of the family (we were all fully vacinated and tested negative beforehand) to a beach house and my aunt took the Wii with her so they could play Wii Sports. I'll definitely tell her about this so all they'll have to pack next time is their Switch dock.

Lol, I'm hyped for Wii Sports, who would have thought. Hope we get some good progression/unlocks, I had a lot of fun chasing medals in the OG games.

Also I need that Wuhu Resort Add-On for expansion pass owners ASAP

FINALLY! After three years of harping on about how Switch Sports was likely on the way, and being shot down constantly because of 'Nintendo won't use Joy-Con for sports' and 'Mii characters are dead', it's here at long last. Wuhu! Sorry, woo-hoooo!

I'm hoping this is a game they'll support for a long time with free updates, the potential for it seems wonderful.
Table Tennis needs to be added asap.

YES! YES! Oh my god I love Wii Sports tennis so much I'm actually on the verge of crying. Chambara and volleyball look awesome as well, I never thought I'd be more excited about this than all of the JRPGs that were announced. If they add archery and ping-pong, and give us the option to use Miis, this might actually become my favorite game of all time. My twelve-year-old past self would be so embarrassed to see me right now, mwahahaha!

Oh look, the game that made the Mii what it is almost completely absent from the marketing, right down to missing the easy layup of calling it "Mii Sports". We should probably expect Switch to be the last platform that uses them. It doesn't get much more explicit than this that Nintendo wants to move past them when the series that they're most popularly known for see them replaced by this in all the key art and marketing materials:
Switch_NintendoSwitchSports_artwork_14-656x656.jpg

This was a legit megaton. It will get my parents to buy their own Switch, and they will just to play Tennis again.

Also, only 40 bucks! Sweet deal.

I can’t believe the wait is so long for golf… that’s a shame.

Still excited they are finally doing this though finally.

I was really hoping for a Switch Sports but the new avatars really deflated any possible hype I could’ve had, plus the absence of Wuhu Island. Not having it again feels like a step back.

I like the style of the game. It's a casual game of this era, of course it looks like this, this is the style that the casual crowd likes.
Reminds me of when Ring Fit was revealed and everyone was saying it had the style of a generic mobile game lol. People will grow up on this one too.

It's just the selection of game that is disappointing to me. No baseball, really ? :(
At least chambara made a return, hell yeah.

I find it hilarious how much of its charm Switch Sports looses/wins with and without the Miis. Looks really good beyond that though! This and the MK8 DLC will keep my fed until Switch 2 rolls around to be honest.
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the look of the mii replacements? Looks like they can have more character and individuality to them. And they don't look derpy.

I think I'm the only person who likes the new player avatars but at least they still offer the option to have Mii heads. The price point is nice, the sports selection at launch could be better. Glad they're adding Golf, hopefully other disciplines (like Boxing and Baseball??) are added later.
I'm the same. I like the Miis but I think new avatars help with the identity of this being an actual BRAND new sports game and not "Wii Sports again" or for the few of us Wii U folks Wii Sports Club.

Miis being an option is still great! I also think they're going to continue dropping sports and events as the game goes on.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the look of the mii replacements? Looks like they can have more character and individuality to them. And they don't look derpy.
I like the new characters too. I’m honestly surprised the Miis are apparently a huge factor for some people’s enjoyment of this game haha

Looking forward to this - half expecting an expansion DLC if it does well initially, seems like a good vehicle to add more sports into over the course of 2023 and add more value to NSO+

the original Wii Sport Resort was such an underrated arcade hardcore experience. The stamps, the rankings, the extreme challenging Masters to take down...the game was so much more than a couch multiplayer experience. I hope this game will bring back the same philosophy. this could be a banger, I really hope to learn more about it soon.

Just for the avoidance of doubt: no, this is not the game that was rumoured. Not all 'casual' games are the same thing, folks!
I think I'm the only person who likes the new player avatars but at least they still offer the option to have Mii heads. The price point is nice, the sports selection at launch could be better. Glad they're adding Golf, hopefully other disciplines (like Boxing and Baseball??) are added later.
My guess is this is something that gets even more content if it sells strongly (which I think it will). Add a new sport once every few months and perhaps do a paid expansion down the line. Boxing and Baseball could come in 2023.

I know everyone has the right to have games for their tastes.

But god how i hate Nintendo from Wii and DS era, worst Nintendo ever, and this game reminds me to that era, it's a big NO NO for me.

My guess is this is something that gets even more content if it sells strongly (which I think it will). Add a new sport once every few months and perhaps do a paid expansion down the line. Boxing and Baseball could come in 2023.
That's a good point, considering the price. Could be another Expansion Pass thing as well... 👀

I'm really happy with this annoncement. I started giving up hope when they added Bowling to the Club House Game.

What’s with the mii revisionist history

I thought we all hated them I feel like I’m going crazy
What generation did you start playing Nintendo systems? Most people who had their childhood and/or teen years with the Wii love the Mii’s. The fact that their not the focus is a huge bummer for many people who grew up with the original.

What’s with the mii revisionist history

I thought we all hated them I feel like I’m going crazy
Mii implementation was great. I loved seeing Miis like Jesus and Annie Lennox turn up in random places in Mario Kart Wii; especially as the statue on Luigi Circuit.

Nintendo selling this for $40 means they know it'll flop and that the company is pretty much doomed.

Now add Archery, shooting, boxing, baseball, basketball, running, rowing, canoeing, parachuting and others you cowards!

(I squaled a bit out of joy when this came to screen).

Oh look, the game that made the Mii what it is almost completely absent from the marketing, right down to missing the easy layup of calling it "Mii Sports". We should probably expect Switch to be the last platform that uses them. It doesn't get much more explicit than this that Nintendo wants to move past them when the series that they're most popularly known for see them replaced by this in all the key art and marketing materials:
Switch_NintendoSwitchSports_artwork_14-656x656.jpg
Are these not Miis though? Just jazzed up a bit. I'm sure most of those hairstyles are Mii hairstyles. Even if there's a lot more creation options when creating a new one, I could easily see an existing Mii mapping to that style.

I guess my only disappointment with this is that they didn't go down the Go Vacation route and have open areas or a plaza available to explore, feel like that would have been quite cool. Either way though, I'm looking forward to getting sucked into Badminton - not a sport that gets a lot of representation in games so nice to see.

New images of the new avatars/customization options (taken from the Japanese news page for the game).
Ah yes, finally I can be a purple squirrel girl.

Are these Mii 2.0? Kinda dig it, hope this becomes almost like a "service game" with regular new sports, tourney events, clothes, maybe even guest characters or skins? I'd love to play chanbara as Mr Saturn

Are these not Miis though? Just jazzed up a bit. I'm sure most of those hairstyles are Mii hairstyles. Even if there's a lot more creation options when creating a new one, I could easily see an existing Mii mapping to that style.
These are not Miis, no. You can stick a Mii face onto one of these bodies, going by the play footage from the Direct, but these faces are not Miis.
Ah yes, finally I can be a purple squirrel girl.

Are these Mii 2.0? Kinda dig it, hope this becomes almost like a "service game" with regular new sports, tourney events, clothes, maybe even guest characters or skins? I'd love to play chanbara as Mr Saturn
Nah, probably just a one-off creation. Just Animal Crossing Villager faces with anime doe-eyes on a fully-articulated body.

I guess my only disappointment with this is that they didn't go down the Go Vacation route and have open areas or a plaza available to explore, feel like that would have been quite cool. Either way though, I'm looking forward to getting sucked into Badminton - not a sport that gets a lot of representation in games so nice to see.

Ah, I always love when fellow Fami sing the praises of Go Vacation! :D

At any rate, I'm excited to see more of this game! I really dig the customization options, and I hope there's a ton of costumes to unlock! I love myself some cosmetics! :)

Also, do we know if all physical versions come with the leg strap attachment? I already have one from Ring Fit, and I'd dislike having to get a second one if the physical version costs more than the digital because of it! :O

Sad as well that golf isn't part of the initial lineup, though.

At any rate, I'm excited to see more of this game! I really dig the customization options, and I hope there's a ton of costumes to unlock! I love myself some cosmetics! :)

Also, do we know if all physical versions come with the leg strap attachment? I already have one from Ring Fit, and I'd dislike having to get a second one if the physical version costs more than the digital because of it! :O

Sad as well that golf isn't part of the initial lineup, though.
All physical versions include the leg strap yes, and will cost extra due to that.

They kind of look like the evolution of Miis to me.

And me to the slightly perplexed on the three net sports but lack of wider sports like Wii Sports Resort had. Hopefully they will add more! (If you look on the hub screen, I count at least three other arena-esque buildings aswell as the boat docks in the top right. With Golf they may also bring Disc Golf back.

Day one for bowling alone though! This was one of my most wanted Switch games

I wasn't too into most of the mini-games but GV had such a great island to explore, along with the photography challenges. I've had it on the Switch since it released just to dive into every now and then to get that fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom