• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 150 76.9%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Those SPs are honestly pretty silly. I think the only time I've actually made use of them was for Zelda 2 because that game's New Game+ is actually really cool.

The SP versions have value, especially with the NES games. Given their difficulty, some people might want to just jump to the end like in Metroid.
I just wish the SP titles were in a separate sub folder or something. I guess I can rearrange but don’t want to. Or would be cool if you clicked on the normal game box and then it pulled up the OG title and the SP versions to select.

I just wish the SP titles were in a separate sub folder or something. I guess I can rearrange but don’t want to. Or would be cool if you clicked on the normal game box and then it pulled up the OG title and the SP versions to select.

I put my SP titles on top and then everything else underneath, in alphabetical order of course!

I put my SP titles on top and then everything else underneath, in alphabetical order of course!
Sacrilege.

Those go on the bottom.
(Jk)

In all honesty, I like to arrange 1st party > (mainstays like mario > the black box games) > 3rd party (by number of games released preferably) > SPs on the bottom.

Those SPs are honestly pretty silly. I think the only time I've actually made use of them was for Zelda 2 because that game's New Game+ is actually really cool.
I disagree. It was very cool to skip the horrible fetch quest in Kirby’s dreamland 3 and just go straight to Zero

Oh, I think having the SP versions is perfectly fine - I just don't think we should really be counting them for anything with regard to titles on NSO; as they don't provide anything strictly new, just some fun little scenarios, or ways for people who might not be able to do certain things to still get much of the experience of these games.

In all honesty, I like to arrange 1st party > (mainstays like mario > the black box games) > 3rd party (by number of games released preferably) > SPs on the bottom.
I do something kinda like this, too. I arrange mine by first-party games, first-party SP games, third-party games, and finally third-party SP games. And within those groups, I have everything ordered by each game’s first original release date (regardless of region), that way the order can remain the same for both my English and Japanese NSO apps.

Problem is finding and tracking all these initial release dates, because the dates listed on NSO are generally only for either North America or Japan, depending on which version of the app you’re using, and sometimes the dates they have are just straight up wrong. So I maintain a spreadsheet where I’ve compiled all that info after extensive research, though there’s a baffling amount of inconsistency regarding the release dates of older video games online so I can’t even be sure that all of my info is correct, but it’s better than the dates NSO uses at least.

Another problem I’ve encountered is exactly how to define what counts as “first-party” or not, because there are some games that are arguable, but I ended up settling on going by the original copyright. So if a game lists Nintendo as one of the copyright holders on the title screen, then that counts as first-party for my organizational purposes. This lets me keep originally Nintendo-owned games like Banjo-Kazooie with the others, while games that Nintendo originally published but otherwise had no actual ownership of like Quest for Camelot can go with the third-party games. (Though I’m kinda not completely sure how to handle Super Tennis and Super Soccer, which are both 100% third-party in Japan, but the non-Japanese versions were not only published by Nintendo but also have Nintendo listed as a copyright holder… Right now I just sort them with the the third-party games in the Japanese app and with the first-party games in the English app, but that feels kinda messy to me, I dunno.)

The SP versions have value, especially with the NES games. Given their difficulty, some people might want to just jump to the end like in Metroid.
I've certainly used the SP version of Super Mario Kart since I wanted to play the Special Cup levels with my sibling but I've been having a bear of a time trying to restore the muscle memory to clear 100cc Star Cup with intermittent play.

The real chaos is when JP titles show up on the NA section. Them and their differently oriented boxes are the devil to my haphazard organization.

Devil World is a black box game by all accounts, but accursed it has no black box box. I weep sitting it next to the other black boxes.

List of Rare Games that could come to NSO

(NES)
  • Slalom
  • Wizards & Warriors
  • Anticipation
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II
  • Pinbot (May have licensing issues due to being based on an official pinball machine)
  • Captain Skyhawk
  • Time Lord
  • Solar Jetman
  • Digger T. Rock
  • Battletoads (Also has Mega Drive and GB port)
  • High Speeds
  • Wizards & Warriors III
  • R.C. Pro-Am II
  • Battletoads & Double Dragon (Also has SNES, GB, and MD ports) (needs Arc System Works license but they have 6 games on NSO so it should be fine)
(Game Boy)
  • Conker's Pocket Tales
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land II
  • Donkey Kong Land III
  • Donkey Kong Country (GBC)
  • Monster Max
  • Perfect Dark
  • Super R.C. Pro-Am
  • Wizards & Warriors X
(GBA)
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
  • Banjo-Pilot
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • It's Mr. Pants
  • Sabrewulf
(N64)
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Perfect Dark
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day

…I’ve honestly spent more time rearranging and organizing the NSO libraries than I have playing a vast majority of the games, lol

(NES)
  • Slalom
  • Wizards & Warriors
  • Anticipation
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Pinbot (May have licensing issues due to being based on an official pinball machine)
  • Captain Skyhawk
  • Time Lord
  • Solar Jetman
  • Digger T. Rock
  • High Speeds
  • Wizards & Warriors III
  • R.C. Pro-Am II
  • Battletoads & Double Dragon (Also has SNES, GB, and MD ports) (needs Arc System Works license but they have 6 games on NSO so it should be fine)
(Game Boy)
  • Conker's Pocket Tales
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land II
  • Donkey Kong Land III
  • Monster Max
  • Perfect Dark
  • Super R.C. Pro-Am
  • Wizards & Warriors X
(GBA)
  • Banjo-Pilot
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • It's Mr. Pants
  • Sabrewulf
(N64)
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Perfect Dark
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
If Battletoads & Double Dragon came to NSO (specifically SNES), that would probably have me more hyped than Conker

I predict that Blast Corps will be on the +18 N64 section in Japan.

Doubting if they do the same for the other consoles, and so adding Killer Instinct there.

And it would be hilarious if the +18 versions of Famicom and Super Famicom had western-exclusive games like Jelly Boy or Prehistorik Man.

(NES)
  • Slalom
  • Wizards & Warriors
  • Anticipation
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Captain Skyhawk
  • Time Lord
  • Solar Jetman
  • Digger T. Rock
  • High Speeds
  • Wizards & Warriors III
  • R.C. Pro-Am II
(Game Boy)
  • Conker's Pocket Tales
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land II
  • Donkey Kong Land III
  • Monster Max
  • Perfect Dark
  • Super R.C. Pro-Am
  • Wizards & Warriors X
(GBA)
  • Banjo-Pilot
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • It's Mr. Pants
  • Sabrewulf
(N64)
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Perfect Dark
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
My brother and I played Captain Skyhawk and Kickle Cubicle nonstop as kids. Would love to have both on NSO. Who the hell owns Kickle Cubicle nowadays?

I just had a feeling that Pokémon wasn't going to be on NSO this year and looks like I was right. I guess it gives me an excuse not to retire my 3ds for another year at least. I'd still like to have Fire Red at an easier to place to play though.

Seeing as the NES and SNES catalogue are at their end-ish, it would be nice for these services to get updated with leaderboards or proper achievements or something to encourage people to keep engaging with some of these older apps outside of just new games joining the service.

Feels like once the newness rush ends, people just kinda looking forward to the next game.

Seeing as the NES and SNES catalogue are at their end-ish, it would be nice for these services to get updated with leaderboards or proper achievements or something to encourage people to keep engaging with some of these older apps outside of just new games joining the service.

Feels like once the newness rush ends, people just kinda looking forward to the next game.

I actually really like that. I'd love to see how my DKC 1 time compares to my friends list.

Maybe Nintendo will roll something like that with the next gen system.

The real chaos is when JP titles show up on the NA section. Them and their differently oriented boxes are the devil to my haphazard organization.

Devil World is a black box game by all accounts, but accursed it has no black box box. I weep sitting it next to the other black boxes.

If Earthbound Beginnings and Starfox 2 got original art for their "Western debut" then they could have done the same for Devil World, Murasame Castle, Panel De Pon.... hell, they can even use mine that I made when i hacked my SNES mini:

sto7a1z9xeqz.jpg

If Earthbound Beginnings and Starfox 2 got original art for their "Western debut" then they could have done the same for Devil World, Murasame Castle, Panel De Pon.... hell, they can even use mine that I made when i hacked my SNES mini:

sto7a1z9xeqz.jpg
EarthBound Beginnings and Sin & Punishment got new boxes because they're fully playable in english. Sin & Punishment still has JP subtitles, but the menus have been translated since Wii VC iirc. Star Fox 2 got new boxart for every region because it didn't get released and never even had one initially.
The others are all in japanese, so I assume they did that to not make people assume that they're translated. It's a sign of "hey we didn't actually do anything for this release, it's still all in japanese, but mostly understandable"

EarthBound Beginnings and Sin & Punishment got new boxes because they're fully playable in english. Sin & Punishment still has JP subtitles, but the menus have been translated since Wii VC iirc. Star Fox 2 got new boxart for every region because it didn't get released and never even had one initially.
The others are all in japanese, so I assume they did that to not make people assume that they're translated. It's a sign of "hey we didn't actually do anything for this release, it's still all in japanese, but mostly understandable"
And then you get the case of Daiva Story 6 on NES NSO, which afaik is just completely untranslated, and is also kinda text heavy (and only one part out of a 7 part saga, spanning 7 platforms).

And then you get the case of Daiva Story 6 on NES NSO, which afaik is just completely untranslated, and is also kinda text heavy (and only one part out of a 7 part saga, spanning 7 platforms).
I still have no idea why they dropped that game on the US NSO. Might as well drop all the Fire Emblems they're just as "playable"

How do people tell when there's a game trial going on? It never says in the online app
Twitter announcement 🙃

Also Nintendo tends to post in the News section about a new game trial, but yeah rarely seems to suggest in the online app. It's a massive oversight (as much as it is not being consistent with when they have game trials)

Twitter announcement 🙃

Also Nintendo tends to post in the News section about a new game trial, but yeah rarely seems to suggest in the online app. It's a massive oversight (as much as it is not being consistent with when they have game trials)
I've always seen active Game Trials in the NSO applet on Switch.

I've always seen active Game Trials in the NSO applet on Switch.
Ah, to clarify I meant I never saw them advertise a game trial prior to it going live, unless I've just had the misfortune to never check ahead of time when I see it on Twitter or the news app on Switch haha

Do I dare hope for Super Mario Land or DK '94 for Game Boy this week or next to celebrate MAR10 this year?
Literally came her to utter this thought. Especially with that new video they just put up 😅
Just give us Mario Land 1, Nintendo, it's getting silly!

N64 controller has been consistently in stock for about a month or two now.

Does this mean we'll eventually get the funtastic colours N64 was actually known for? Please?

Do I dare hope for Super Mario Land or DK '94 for Game Boy this week or next to celebrate MAR10 this year?
Given how deliberately slow they've been with the NSO rollout, I doubt we get two big GB games in one week. Super Mario Land alone is probably what we'll get, if anything at all.

I sure would love to be wrong, though.

Given how deliberately slow they've been with the NSO rollout, I doubt we get two big GB games in one week. Super Mario Land alone is probably what we'll get, if anything at all.

tbf they have done a couple multi-game drops though. Rare games most recently, but also stuff like dropping the GBA versions of SMB3, World, and Yoshi's Island all at once

Adding two GB roms this week when the the last GB drop was Castlevania Legends back in October would still be keeping things pretty slow and deliberate imo

tbf they have done a couple multi-game drops though. Rare games most recently, but also stuff like dropping the GBA versions of SMB3, World, and Yoshi's Island all at once

Adding two GB roms this week when the the last GB drop was Castlevania Legends back in October would still be keeping things pretty slow and deliberate imo
I'd say there's a fairly distinct difference between dropping multiple 3rd party games from the same developer or multiple 1st party remasters (of games already on NSO, no less) vs. dropping two of the biggest remaining games for the console. It makes a lot more sense to group those together, whereas spreading out the big remaining 1st party GB games would suit Nintendo quite a bit better, especially since there aren't all that many of them left.

Release Super Mario Land as a fun Mar10 thing, and then sitting on Donkey Kong until it's time to unveil the next NSO GB roadmap, makes a lot more sense to me if they intend to continue generating hype like that.

If Nintendo did actually localize Mother 3 for English, they should release it as one of those SP versions in the Japanese GBA App. Or even more quietly as an update that lets you choose the language at the start of Mother 3. Then it would be trivial to play Mother 3 in English and they still wouldn’t officially release it in the west.

I agree that SML is more likely to be done solo. But I was thinking that we'd be about a month past MvDK and dropping DK '94 might be a good move to provide more context around that release since they didn't do it prior to launch. And it's where some of Mario's 3D moveset originated from so it has bona fide reasons for a MAR10 celebration.

I could also see something with more tenuous links to Mario like Alleyway, Golf, or Tennis coming along too. Super Mario Land III: Wario Land might be a good option too but that's really a Wario game even if it would provide us with the full Land trilogy if it came with SML.

EDIT: Alternatively, Nintendo decides to mess with us and add Metroid: Zero Mission since they did Fusion last year at this time. Which I wouldn't complain about.

I agree that SML is more likely to be done solo. But I was thinking that we'd be about a month past MvDK and dropping DK '94 might be a good move to provide more context around that release since they didn't do it prior to launch. And it's where some of Mario's 3D moveset originated from so it has bona fide reasons for a MAR10 celebration.

I could also see something with more tenuous links to Mario like Alleyway, Golf, or Tennis coming along too. Super Mario Land III: Wario Land might be a good option too but that's really a Wario game even if it would provide us with the full Land trilogy if it came with SML.

EDIT: Alternatively, Nintendo decides to mess with us and add Metroid: Zero Mission since they did Fusion last year at this time. Which I wouldn't complain about.

Nintendo giving us Metroid: Zero Mission before that F-Zero game they promised over a year ago would be peak Nintendo.

I think this month we'll see F-Zero Maximum Velocity hit the NSO EP, it remains the only GBA game from last year's roadmap to still not be present on the service.

After that, it'll be curious to to see if Nintendo does any future N64/GBA roadmaps or just leave us in the dark for any future releases. If Brazil's right about there being some kind of General Direct in April, then that feels like a decent place to announce them.

Four and a half months later, we finally get a Game Boy update, and one of the releases is… Dr. Mario. Interesting choice, lol

I do still think we will get Maximum Velocity at least later this month, these GB titles don’t have the gravitas of the Oracle games to warrant carrying a whole month on their own.

Four and a half months later, we finally get a Game Boy update, and one of the releases is… Dr. Mario. Interesting choice, lol

I do still think we will get Maximum Velocity at least later this month, these GB titles don’t have the gravitas of the Oracle games to warrant carrying a whole month on their own.
At least it isn't there alone. The two Camelot sports/rpgs make up for Dr. Mario GB being the worst way to play Dr. Mario.

It's time for another update to some graphics - first the NSO over time one:
0fo7Jlv.png

And also, the "not on NSO" list for GB/GBC needs updating too:
ipN1YYr.png

---

And, as we've gotten new GB games for the first time in a while, I'll add some comparison graphs for NSO GB compared to VC - which I neglected to do last time, mostly due to it being a complete wash:
i5JEtAA.png

As you can see, NSO is so far behind Virtual Console on 3DS that the comparison makes very little sense - it's taken over a year to reach the same number of titles that 3DS VC had after 7 weeks. But, there is a comparison that is a lot closer, which is:
nHnoPkZ.png

...splitting the two services up by region. By doing this, we can see that - while nowhere comparable to the four main regions of Japan, North America, Europe and Oceania - NSO is doing about the same pace as the Virtual Console on 3DS in Korea, and significantly ahead of the frankly pathetic size of the selection on the Taiwanese/Hong Kongese Virtual Consoles (for those wondering, it's just the seven mainline Pokémon games on GB - including Green). NSO is obviously going to continue growing - whereas the Korean VC service topped out at 20 titles - and eventually NSO GB might start to approach at least the western VC services, but it's gonna take a long time at the current pace (like 4+ years from now).

---

Finally, I noticed that March 11th will be the 2000th day of Nintendo Switch Online, so an updated version of the all NSO chart is in order (the new GB games are included, despite launching on the 2001st day of NSO):
TqTKocU.png

As you can see, when comparing launch aligned, NES/FC is ahead of everything else, although SNES/SFC have caught up fairly well despite having a significantly slower first year than NES/FC. Genesis/MD kept rough pace with SNES for a while, but then just outright stopped 9 months ago. N64 and Game Boy are keeping pace with one another - but whereas for N64 this is the best pace and selection ever provided by Nintendo, Game Boy is amongst the worst. And then, there's GBA, which is not even managing to keep pace with GB and N64 - despite having a significantly larger library than the N64 (both in general, and on Wii U Virtual Console).

But, looking at the bigger picture - NSO is getting multiple new titles every single month; it's just that they're spread out over 6 platforms now, whereas in the earlier days it was only one or two platforms. If we compare this to the three Virtual Consoles:
VqKonvA.png

GTiw3Bi.png

...we can see that while NSO has been behind all three VCs for almost its entire existence - it is rapidly approaching the sum total of the 3DS Virtual Console; and we're reaching the point that the other three services stopped adding content, whereas it is assumed that NSO will continue to get new content throughout the lifecycle of the Switch's successor(s). As such with time, NSO may eventually grow to rival the Wii U VC or even the Wii VC in scale - just at a much more glacial pace than those platforms.

NSO is also fairly likely to outlive the Virtual Console services launch aligned with regards to being discontinued as a service as well - as even assuming it will only continue as long as Switch 2 - that would still result in another ~3000 days at least (assuming NSW2 launches next year and has a 7 year life-span), taking the service beyond the 5000 day mark, and into the 2030s.

It's time for another update to some graphics - first the NSO over time one:
0fo7Jlv.png

And also, the "not on NSO" list for GB/GBC needs updating too:
ipN1YYr.png

---

And, as we've gotten new GB games for the first time in a while, I'll add some comparison graphs for NSO GB compared to VC - which I neglected to do last time, mostly due to it being a complete wash:
i5JEtAA.png

As you can see, NSO is so far behind Virtual Console on 3DS that the comparison makes very little sense - it's taken over a year to reach the same number of titles that 3DS VC had after 7 weeks. But, there is a comparison that is a lot closer, which is:
nHnoPkZ.png

...splitting the two services up by region. By doing this, we can see that - while nowhere comparable to the four main regions of Japan, North America, Europe and Oceania - NSO is doing about the same pace as the Virtual Console on 3DS in Korea, and significantly ahead of the frankly pathetic size of the selection on the Taiwanese/Hong Kongese Virtual Consoles (for those wondering, it's just the seven mainline Pokémon games on GB - including Green). NSO is obviously going to continue growing - whereas the Korean VC service topped out at 20 titles - and eventually NSO GB might start to approach at least the western VC services, but it's gonna take a long time at the current pace (like 4+ years from now).

---

Finally, I noticed that March 11th will be the 2000th day of Nintendo Switch Online, so an updated version of the all NSO chart is in order (the new GB games are included, despite launching on the 2001st day of NSO):
TqTKocU.png

As you can see, when comparing launch aligned, NES/FC is ahead of everything else, although SNES/SFC have caught up fairly well despite having a significantly slower first year than NES/FC. Genesis/MD kept rough pace with SNES for a while, but then just outright stopped 9 months ago. N64 and Game Boy are keeping pace with one another - but whereas for N64 this is the best pace and selection ever provided by Nintendo, Game Boy is amongst the worst. And then, there's GBA, which is not even managing to keep pace with GB and N64 - despite having a significantly larger library than the N64 (both in general, and on Wii U Virtual Console).

But, looking at the bigger picture - NSO is getting multiple new titles every single month; it's just that they're spread out over 6 platforms now, whereas in the earlier days it was only one or two platforms. If we compare this to the three Virtual Consoles:
VqKonvA.png

GTiw3Bi.png

...we can see that while NSO has been behind all three VCs for almost its entire existence - it is rapidly approaching the sum total of the 3DS Virtual Console; and we're reaching the point that the other three services stopped adding content, whereas it is assumed that NSO will continue to get new content throughout the lifecycle of the Switch's successor(s). As such with time, NSO may eventually grow to rival the Wii U VC or even the Wii VC in scale - just at a much more glacial pace than those platforms.

NSO is also fairly likely to outlive the Virtual Console services launch aligned with regards to being discontinued as a service as well - as even assuming it will only continue as long as Switch 2 - that would still result in another ~3000 days at least (assuming NSW2 launches next year and has a 7 year life-span), taking the service beyond the 5000 day mark, and into the 2030s.
Not that it isn't helpful shorthand but marking 3DS and the Switch as "PAL" gives me conniptions.

Maybe "MENA"? "Rest of world"? It's a video standard, not a region, after all, and it's one Nintendo Switch simply does not support.

Not that it isn't helpful shorthand but marking 3DS and the Switch as "PAL" gives me conniptions.

Maybe "MENA"? "Rest of world"? It's a video standard, not a region, after all, and it's one Nintendo Switch simply does not support.
I mean, PAL has been the common shorthand for EU + AUS/NZ for a long time now - and the other names don't accurately describe the region either:
  • MENA explicitly excludes the main two regions that I'm referring to with PAL, as it stands for "Middle East and North Africa"
  • Rest of World has broader implications than I'm intending, for example SEA, China and Taiwan would all come under RoW - but none of those have NSO, and if/when they do get NSO, they likely won't be sharing a region with Europe or Oceania anyways
  • EMEA is better than MENA at least, as it stands for "Europe, the Middle East and Africa" - but still excludes Oceania
  • DVB is the modern digital broadcasting standard that most closely matches PAL in the area it covers (because North America and Japan still think they're too special to use the same format as the rest of the developed world)- but there are still problems with this:
    • While PAL televisions were designed specifically to accommodate the PAL broadcasting standard, and had a specialised resolution/framerate etc. that corresponded to this - DVB doesn't really have a similar equivalent, and games consoles aren't the same as television broadcasts anyways.
    • Nobody has even really heard of DVB, as it has never been used for marketing in the same way PAL has been.
Anyways, it is generally accepted what "PAL regions" means in a gaming context and, as suggested by Wikipedia, this usage is continuing despite being decoupled from the digital broadcasting standard that gave it its name. So, I don't really see the need to change to something that either doesn't hold the same meaning, or is relatively unknown - when we already have a shorthand that works, even if it isn't strictly accurate anymore. I think it's better than the more long-winded "EU/OCE", or "EU/AUS/NZ" or other variants thereof (plus using EU or EUR adds in the extra complication of whether we're referring to Europe or the European Union, and whether I'd have to separately specify non-EU European regions in this - like RU and UK).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom