• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 148 76.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Prevaricating over whether to start either Mario Golf or Mario Tennis on GBC NSO, and just occurring to me once again how odd the split is between GB and GBC: 9 for the former and 12 for the latter. The GBC selection is also largely very, very high quality, with a number of the system's very best games present and accounted for.

I think it's fair to complain about how inconsistent (once again) updates have been, but the overall selection so far is very good. Here's hoping we get some more updates before long, especially in terms of GB games (Wario Land! Mario Land! Donkey Kong! Mole Mania! Kid Icarus 2!).

Prevaricating over whether to start either Mario Golf or Mario Tennis on GBC NSO, and just occurring to me once again how odd the split is between GB and GBC: 9 for the former and 12 for the latter. The GBC selection is also largely very, very high quality, with a number of the system's very best games present and accounted for.

I think it's fair to complain about how inconsistent (once again) updates have been, but the overall selection so far is very good. Here's hoping we get some more updates before long, especially in terms of GB games (Wario Land! Mario Land! Donkey Kong! Mole Mania! Kid Icarus 2!).
I have a feeling Nintendo prefers to promote the platform with actual color hence why the split is so lopsided to the GBC.

Granted, this lopsidedness got us Kirby Tilt N Tumble which I can't be mad about.

Hey considering gbc games on 3ds were like a unicorn i’ll gladly take GBC gems on NSO

Sure wish Sega would come back though. I have a bad sinking feeling M2 dipped on updates and maybe saw low player numbers for their app. I blame that fucking awful genesis classic collection on Switch if so.

I have a feeling Nintendo prefers to promote the platform with actual color hence why the split is so lopsided to the GBC.
If that is part of it (and I'm not saying it isn't), you'd think they wouldn't use that awful pea soup filter whenever they show GB footage

I know it's nostalgic for a lot of people but imo it is the worst option for Gameboy games between that, black&white, and GBC-mode

If that is part of it (and I'm not saying it isn't), you'd think they wouldn't use that awful pea soup filter whenever they show GB footage

I know it's nostalgic for a lot of people but imo it is the worst option for Gameboy games between that, black&white, and GBC-mode
Disappointing the emulator doesn't have Color display mode for og titles. I loved using the button shortcuts to alter the display as a kid.

Hey considering gbc games on 3ds were like a unicorn i’ll gladly take GBC gems on NSO

Sure wish Sega would come back though. I have a bad sinking feeling M2 dipped on updates and maybe saw low player numbers for their app. I blame that fucking awful genesis classic collection on Switch if so.
Sadly a lot of people don't appreciate quality emulation. In the discussion about the many portable emulator devices people will be like "Saturn/GC/PS2/etc is playable on this!" When it's sub native resolution with frame skips and reduced audio ☠️

If SEGA hadn't devalued their Genesis library with constantly shitting out low quality collections over the years maybe people wouldn't take them for granted.

Sadly I don't think there's fixing that problem aside from SEGA giving genesis a break and focusing on the rest of their consoles. Yes, Master System wasn't popular, and the Saturn is a pain to emulate, but even the attempt would be nice.

Played a bit of MT and MG GBC, games seems fine for GBC. Camelot sports games on N64 are better, curious to see MT and MG on GBA.

If SEGA hadn't devalued their Genesis library with constantly shitting out low quality collections over the years maybe people wouldn't take them for granted.

Sadly I don't think there's fixing that problem aside from SEGA giving genesis a break and focusing on the rest of their consoles. Yes, Master System wasn't popular, and the Saturn is a pain to emulate, but even the attempt would be nice.

Still kind of figuring that it's most likely that SEGA stuff unfortunately just got pushed to the backburner by a lot of Nintendo's own games taking priority first and foremost. Notably, promising a bunch of N64 and GBA games and trying to push them all out while still having spacing between releases. Then the special occasions for Rare and Mar 10 happened, which seems to've pushed Maximum Velocity out of that promised "next year" release window, much less stuff from SEGA.

Probably also notable that the old MD/GEN collections didn't exist at all in Japan, which is probably why it seems like there's a lot of new Japanese fanart and general discussion/appreciation for retro SEGA in recent years after the Minis and NSO started. They had also been doing well at picking good/notable games that weren't on the Switch's "Classic Collection" at all in recent batches, so that was already earning the value of the service.

Though on the subject of other SEGA consoles... I do hope the next Switch manages to make the jump for Dreamcast or Saturn NSO. Saturn emulation isn't in such a bad place anymore, and M2 was working on Saturn emulation independantly before the order for another MD Mini came in because of the cost of producing a Saturn Mini. I also wouldn't say Master System was totally unpopular, since it had plenty of regions where it did well. NES got absolutely clobbed by Master System in the UK for example.

What’s Color display mode? I would’ve figured playing with the GBC-mode on in the settings would’ve been that but sounds like not
In this case it's about changing the color palette. We're forced to deal with the default GBC palette that it gives to games and it's not always great to be honest.

What’s Color display mode? I would’ve figured playing with the GBC-mode on in the settings would’ve been that but sounds like not
On an actual GBC or GBA, when you start an OG GB game you could change the color palette to various alternatives by holding certain buttons or combinations of buttons. IIRC there were 12 options; one for each direction on the d-pad, and then one for each direction while holding either A or B

it's something that'd be neat to have but (afaik) isn't a feature on NSO

To be honest I love the other options, but I so wish I could use the LCD filter but still have it lighter so I could actually see the screen even better, and for now, only GBC filter does this.

Nintendo, my brethren in Christ, it is not difficult to provide roadmap updates on a regular cadence so paying subscribers aren't left feeling in a lurch.

At least we got an update at all for NSO Expansion

11 titles for the first quarter of 2024 puts Nintendo on pace to add 40-45 titles to NSO this year, which is actually the most common total for releases (occured in 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023, with 50 plus in 2023). I made some bar charts yesterday for personal use just to visualise how these releases are working and was surprised at (bar 2020) the consistency in hitting 40 plus games each year, even as support for individual systems fluctuates. My numbers don't count SP releases and are for the international service (outside Japan, basically).

Expansion Pack support has also been consistent numerically, with 29 titles in 2021, and then 28 each in 2022 and 2023. Big question there is what Nintendo will do without Mega Drive titles - last year they still added 8 Mega Drive games, and it's difficult to see them making that up with N64 and GBA alone. More broadly, the Expansion Pack also lacks a replacement for Mario Kart DLC, so the ongoing additions for the service are in danger of being weaker this year.

Base tier support increased last year thanks to GB/C, obviously; the base NSO offering hasn't had more than 20 titles since 2020, when it had 20 exactly, with 24 being added last year plus F ZERO 99 making it a pretty decent year for base NSO. By way of comparison, 2020 had 12 titles added and 2021 had 13 added.

So far this year the split of releases favours the base tier outside Japan, with 7 base titles and 4 EP titles added. It'll be interesting to see if that split continues, and Nintendo try to make up for a weaker EP offering by making more use of their GB, NES and SNES libraries. Given that the Japanese service hasn't seen that uptick in base tier support (thanks to the Rare titles being international only), it's difficult to know if that's going to be the strategy. It could just be a quirk of the titles Nintendo have available right now.

So far this year the split of releases favours the base tier outside Japan, with 7 base titles and 4 EP titles added. It'll be interesting to see if that split continues, and Nintendo try to make up for a weaker EP offering by making more use of their GB, NES and SNES libraries. Given that the Japanese service hasn't seen that uptick in base tier support (thanks to the Rare titles being international only), it's difficult to know if that's going to be the strategy. It could just be a quirk of the titles Nintendo have available right now.
Having beaten Quest for Camelot, I think that docks base tier a good -5 points in value in NA.

11 titles for the first quarter of 2024 puts Nintendo on pace to add 40-45 titles to NSO this year, which is actually the most common total for releases (occured in 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023, with 50 plus in 2023). I made some bar charts yesterday for personal use just to visualise how these releases are working and was surprised at (bar 2020) the consistency in hitting 40 plus games each year, even as support for individual systems fluctuates. My numbers don't count SP releases and are for the international service (outside Japan, basically).

Expansion Pack support has also been consistent numerically, with 29 titles in 2021, and then 28 each in 2022 and 2023. Big question there is what Nintendo will do without Mega Drive titles - last year they still added 8 Mega Drive games, and it's difficult to see them making that up with N64 and GBA alone. More broadly, the Expansion Pack also lacks a replacement for Mario Kart DLC, so the ongoing additions for the service are in danger of being weaker this year.

Base tier support increased last year thanks to GB/C, obviously; the base NSO offering hasn't had more than 20 titles since 2020, when it had 20 exactly, with 24 being added last year plus F ZERO 99 making it a pretty decent year for base NSO. By way of comparison, 2020 had 12 titles added and 2021 had 13 added.

Good numbers. I went into this year expecting that Nintendo would have a slightly quieter year with NSO releases as they were gearing up for the Switch 2 and moving things over. So far, 2024 is looking solid thanks to the Rare drop in February and Mario GB drop a few weeks ago. That helps bring up the numbers.

As for the Expansion Pack in 2024, Nintendo is going to need to surprise us with something big in order to get the EP up into the upper 20's again. So far they are averaging just over 1 title a month, so that only puts the EP on track for 16 releases this year. A couple of Genesis/Mega Drive updates could get us there, but that well seemed to have dried up. There are still a handful of first party N64 games, but unless third parties finally get on board (besides Rare), I'm not expecting 10+ added to that service this year. GBA is the obvious one with the most potential, but again, it is going to come down to 3rd parties. Hopefully Nintendo can surprise us with a 4~5 game update for GBA at some point this year.

I'm still of the opinion that we are not getting a new system added to the service this year, so that is one less chance at a 10+ game drop at some point.

I think it could be another N64 drop, it's been a bit since Japan got one of those because the last one was Blast Corps, and that only launched here cause they got Mother 3 instead.

I expect the next update will be a batch of Game Boy games, since we’re still waiting on The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls. Guessing the next Expansion Pass update will probably be some Genesis games since both N64 and GBA have no more announced games, so we might have to wait for a Direct for more N64 or GBA games to be announced.

Expectations for the next GBA roadmap:
  • Mario Party Advance
  • Mario Pinball Land
  • Metroid Zero Mission
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Drill Dozer
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Wario Land 4
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
  • Konami Krazy Racers
  • Pocky & Rocky with Becky

Expectations for the next GBA roadmap:
  • Mario Party Advance
  • Mario Pinball Land
  • Metroid Zero Mission
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Drill Dozer
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Wario Land 4
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
  • Konami Krazy Racers
  • Pocky & Rocky with Becky
I really want to play Wario Land 4 and Konami Krazy Racers again!!!

I don't think we need to get another roadmap before we get any more N64/GBA games. Nintendo has already proven to release games that were not on any roadmap. Besides, if we aren't due for another Nintendo Direct until June like most years, I hope that we won't have to wait until then for more games on both apps.

That said, I'd kill to get another roadmap tomorrow!

I hope they put LttP/Four Swords on the next roadmap. Just would be nice to know it's coming so I could maybe actually play that with other people, even if I'd still probably mostly just play singleplayer games.

Do we think there’s ever a chance they’d implement 2 local players going online together? Even on the Switch 2?

My wife and I would love to add Mario Party 1/2/3 to our MP Superstars rotation with our other friends, but alas.

Oh come on.

Look, I am by no means complaining about weird additions for games I never got to play before and I will try them, but how long do they have to hold out on Smash Bros?

The online is gonna be shit and they'll never fix it; just rip that band aid off already ffs

Willing to try these out, definitely a out of the left field pick I wasn't ready for this month

Not sure if we're at the end of the road to where anything goes with these n64/gba releases
Or filling in while Japan gets caught up with the Partner Presents titles with Blast Corps and whatnot

🤔

I appreciate these weird picks, but I'm not a huge fan of dedicating a wave entirely to them. Not when there's still some notable missing games from the catalog.

They really need some new roadmaps soon.

Inb4 we get trolled by a certain someone and War Gods drops on NSO
Willing to try these out, definitely a out of the left field pick I wasn't ready for this month

Not sure if we're at the end of the road to where anything goes with these n64/gba releases
Or filling in while Japan gets caught up with the Partner Presents titles with Blast Corps and whatnot

🤔
Kinda makes me think of what happened at the end of the first roadmap, some random drops for a month or two then a new roadmap in the next direct

Inb4 we get trolled by a certain someone and War Gods drops on NSO

Kinda makes me think of what happened at the end of the first roadmap, some random drops for a month or two then a new roadmap in the next direct
I sincerely hope this is the case that they come back with another roadmap.

I don't know why it's like pulling teeth with Nintendo trying to have a consistent idea of what's planned ahead, especially for a paid subscription service. It's not as though they're Netflix where they have tens of thousands of titles available they can sorta blend in with the rest from announcing what's coming out in a month.

Say, would anybody be up for teaming up with me for doing a N64 NSO badge event? I’m up for working on the challenges somewhat. But easier with someone to work with

Back
Top Bottom