• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 159 77.9%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.3%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 8.8%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
With all the news about Gamepass, and the woes of PSN. I can't help but think Nintendo made a solid choice making NSO a legacy game exclusive service.

You also get a few expansions to games which I think was a smart idea. You bought Mario Kart 8 and now you want to sub for the course pass. Or you have a NSO sub but no Mario Kart so you might as well buy the game to get more value out of your sub.

You also get a few expansions to games which I think was a smart idea. You bought Mario Kart 8 and now you want to sub for the course pass. Or you have a NSO sub but no Mario Kart so you might as well buy the game to get more value out of your sub.
It may not be the BEST of the game streaming services from a consumer standpoint, but... it is pretty honest in it's conservatism. Barring occasional rough moments like emulator bugs (which PSN honestly may have worse judging by all the complaints I've seen) I can't say we've had any MAJOR slaps in the face.

I feel like Sony should be giving out DLC with Premium as an incentive. Nintendo is looking at recurring revenue for years and then MK/AC DLC sales when the service is sunset. Kind of a smart way to get revenue and still sell games.

It's a better feeling controller overall, but as far as the actual games I think it's mostly just Street Fighter 2 and Comix Zone that benefit from it a lot. I think a few other games on NSO can use it, like Contra Hard Corps and Shinobi III, but it's not as big a deal.

Is there a point in getting the 6 button Mega Drive controller over the 3 button one we got in Europe and the US?
Not really. It’s mostly for the few fighting games on there and can help with contra and comic zone. I got an 8bitdo Saturn controller and set a profile that mapped the buttons correctly.

Anyone else feeling a drop tonight or should we expect next week instead?

It may not be the BEST of the game streaming services from a consumer standpoint, but... it is pretty honest in it's conservatism. Barring occasional rough moments like emulator bugs (which PSN honestly may have worse judging by all the complaints I've seen) I can't say we've had any MAJOR slaps in the face.
It’s also dirt cheap compared to the other services. Base tier is around $2/month. And because the vast majority of the library is first party there’s no real risk of losing access to the good stuff barring Nintendo doing something asinine like “the Disney vault” to boost FOMO.

And it’s quite likely Nintendo is making more money off NSO than they ever did hawking games on VC for $5+ a pop.

Is there a point in getting the 6 button Mega Drive controller over the 3 button one we got in Europe and the US?
If we got Primal Rage there'd be an argument for it. Otherwise, it's just kinda neat.

Anyone else feeling a drop tonight or should we expect next week instead?

It’s also dirt cheap compared to the other services. Base tier is around $2/month. And because the vast majority of the library is first party there’s no real risk of losing access to the good stuff barring Nintendo doing something asinine like “the Disney vault” to boost FOMO.

And it’s quite likely Nintendo is making more money off NSO than they ever did hawking games on VC for $5+ a pop.
I do think NSO will raise it's price eventually, but honestly with everything raising their prices, I think it isn't gonna change the status. NSO will still be the cheapest option.

25 years and one month ago as of May 26th, Super Smash Bros released on Nintendo 64 e: in north america

Gee willickers, it sure would be swell if someone uploaded the ROM onto NSO by now

Last edited:
With all the news about Gamepass, and the woes of PSN. I can't help but think Nintendo made a solid choice making NSO a legacy game exclusive service.

People like to clown on the NSO, but Nintendo played their cards right with this. They offered a low cost of entry with the family plans. The hook besides online play is retro games, which IMO is a better selling point. It costs less to put 35 year old ROMS than putting Super Mario Odyssey on the service. I wish they were a little more aggressive with adding DLC from older games, but I can understand why they do that sparingly.

2024 updates, EP titles bolded -

2024/01/17: Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
2024/02/21: PC Pro-Am, Snake Rattle n Roll (NES), Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Killer Instinct (SNES), Blast Corps (N64), Mother 3 (GBA, Japan)
2024/03/12: Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Dr Mario (GB)
2024/03/29: F-ZERO: Maximum Velocity (GBA)
2024/04/12: Marvelous (Japan-only), Super R-Type, Wrecking Crew 98 (SNES)
2024/04/24: Extreme-G, Iggy's Reckin' Balls (N64)

It's too soon to call it a set schedule, but March and April delivered a base tier update on the 12th before an Expansion Pack update a couple of weeks later. That would be a decent pattern to stick to, with GB and GBA or Mega Drive up this month as a way of alternating between systems (which seems likely).

I think Nintendo should add more older DLCs to the expansion pass at least. Like the BOTW or Captain Toad DLCs but maybe they those things still selling well enough on their own to justify not putting them on the service.

I think Nintendo should add more older DLCs to the expansion pass at least. Like the BOTW or Captain Toad DLCs but maybe they those things still selling well enough on their own to justify not putting them on the service.
I still think they want to highlight DLC for games with an online multiplayer component. There’s not really a lot of options for that for first party though…

Totally agree. Honestly I felt like, at launch, the “Expansion Pack” was going to mostly feature actual Expansions. Instead it’s mostly just N64 and Genesis games.

I agree, but I almost feel like at this point maybe subscription numbers have stabilized or at least reached the point where Nintendo doesn’t feel like it’s necessary.

I feel like classic games fit the sub model nicely. They’re easy to get into and play quick sessions. Everything has save states so you can just hop in and hop out. I find myself downloading all these free games on psn and not playing them because it’s a big time commitment

Also, those new LttP nso icons are great.

It's too soon to call it a set schedule, but March and April delivered a base tier update on the 12th before an Expansion Pack update a couple of weeks later. That would be a decent pattern to stick to, with GB and GBA or Mega Drive up this month as a way of alternating between systems (which seems likely).
Well, we got Game Boy base tier update. Now to wait two weeks to see if an Expansion Pack update happens.

e: looks like Japan got the same games but also that Frog game that was part of it's roadmap, so I think now we're officially out of roadmap for all consoles in all regions
I really hope that this next Direct addresses the roadmap in a timely manner. I don't know why it's like pulling teeth with them to stay on top of a subscription service and what games are being made available.

2024/01/17: Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
2024/02/21: PC Pro-Am, Snake Rattle n Roll (NES), Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Killer Instinct (SNES), Blast Corps (N64), Mother 3 (GBA, Japan)
2024/03/12: Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Dr Mario (GB)
2024/03/29: F-ZERO: Maximum Velocity (GBA)
2024/04/12: Marvelous (Japan-only), Super R-Type, Wrecking Crew 98 (SNES)
2024/04/24: Extreme-G, Iggy's Reckin' Balls (N64)
2024/05/15: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (Japan-only), Alleyway, Baseball, Super Mario Land (GB)

Nintendo sticking to mid-month for the base tier for the third consecutive month. The week of the 27th looks like our best bet for another Expansion Pack update.

June has the Direct, so NSO updates might be timed to coincide with that. Right now my guess is June 19th or 20th.

Back
Top Bottom