• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 151 77.0%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Maybe bringing the Piko Interactive games to the Japanese library on an exclusive update. Similar to what happened with Kirby Super Star Stacker and Joy Mech Fight for the West.
When Kirby Star Stacker and Joy Mech Fight were brought over to west, it was still literally just rom dumps. Not even any translating.

And unlike with Playstation Online, Steam, and Xbox Live Gold (Gamepass Core), these ROM dumps are most of the supposed "value" of NSO. At least with other services there's communication features. NSO doesn't even have that.

When Kirby Star Stacker and Joy Mech Fight were brought over to west, it was still literally just rom dumps. Not even any translating.

And unlike with Playstation Online, Steam, and Xbox Live Gold (Gamepass Core), these ROM dumps are most of the supposed "value" of NSO. At least with other services there's communication features. NSO doesn't even have that.
I wan't talking about legal ROM dumps, but the possibility of Piko Interactive bringing the games they acquired the rights and adding them to the Japanese version of the NSO.

I wan't talking about legal ROM dumps, but the possibility of Piko Interactive bringing the games they acquired the rights and adding them to the Japanese version of the NSO.

I'm kinda stunned piko didnt put more of their stuff up on NSO but since they've lost a lot of IP lately maybe that's for the better (Dragon View and Drakkhen are no longer owned by em, now Atari owns em, along with a bunch of accolade stuff atari also bought)

What the fuck are the staff who manage NSO even doing right now?
Nothing. The only correct answer is nothing. They're doing absolutely nothing to make this service worth a hoot.

To make us wait almost half a year for a new collection of unmodified ROMs that they merely drag and drop between two folders is downright unacceptable.
NSO is the most horribly mismanaged service this company has ever put out.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here, but if this week passes with no NSO drops (likely since we already have Side Order and apparently a partner showcase coming) I think we actually have a decent shot of getting something on Pokémon Day :) Last year they shadowdropped TCG and Stadium 2 (which had already been announced so nbd) but with this month making a full year since GB/GBA was added to the service, I could see it being time to at least start rolling out the mainline titles.

I’m not expecting a full sweep of Gens 1-3, but I don’t imagine R/B/Y, plus maybe Ruby/Sapphire if they want something for the expansion pass would be too unlikely.

Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here, but if this week passes with no NSO drops (likely since we already have Side Order and apparently a partner showcase coming) I think we actually have a decent shot of getting something on Pokémon Day :) Last year they shadowdropped TCG and Stadium 2 (which had already been announced so nbd) but with this month making a full year since GB/GBA was added to the service, I could see it being time to at least start rolling out the mainline titles.

I’m not expecting a full sweep of Gens 1-3, but I don’t imagine R/B/Y, plus maybe Ruby/Sapphire if they want something for the expansion pass would be too unlikely.
If we get Pokemon drops on NSO I imagine it will be these:

Pok%C3%A9mon_Pinball_Coverart.png
Pokemonpinballrubyandsapphire.png
220px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Puzzle_Challenge_Coverart.png

I could also maybe see Mystery Dungeon at some point, since the remake has been out for awhile.

Hey you, Pikachu would be amazing as well, but you would need a peripheral. Maybe for the Switch 2 they will bring back microphone on the controller.

Hmm you might be on to something. But it would be strange to not get GSC, given that this year is the 25th anniversary of GS.

I also expect some Pokémon spin-offs joining the service for Pokémon Day. And F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is somehow the last game on the current roadmap. Of all games. Huh. Just... just drop it Nintendo.

I hope I am wrong but I don't see the mainline Pokémon games on NSO. The spinoffs definitely but I don't think we'll get Red, Gold, etc.

I’d be shocked if we don’t get the classic Pokemon games in some form. Nintendo’s gotta know that those are a big ace in the hole for NSO, no way they’re gonna let them stay off the service. Just a matter of when.

Really wish the GBA lineup would improve soon, though. It’s perfectly tailored against me right now: I’ve played pretty much all of the games on the service besides Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and Kirby. Which is cool, I’m looking forward to playing them, but the only games I’ve played in 2024 are RPGs and Kirby lol. I want something different, but everything else somehow happens to be essentially the only GBA games I’ve played. Give me something new, Nintendo!

Pokemon on NSO would be handled like GoldenEye 007 and Jet Force Gemini in Japan: a bespoke app of its own with no save states, rewind, or cloud saves (just like on 3DS) but it would have Pokemon Home support.

Pokemon on NSO would be handled like GoldenEye 007 and Jet Force Gemini in Japan: a bespoke app of its own with no save states, rewind, or cloud saves (just like on 3DS) but it would have Pokemon Home support.
I would be okay with this if it got them on the Switch finally.

I get why people think mainline Pokemon won’t come to NSO, but I really do believe it’s only a matter of time. Nintendo knows how valuable it would be for the service, and selling the games on the eShop separately just seems unlikely, even for TPC. I’m also still not convinced that Nintendo cares as much about making Pokémon on NSO compatible with Home as everyone seems to think they do. If there’s a way to disable rewind/cloud saves for specific games on the existing app, I feel like that’s what will happen.

(I think it’d be really neat to get the original Hoenn ribbons transferred up without the hassle of multiple generational transfers though, so a separate app would be fine by me, if a little awkward)

If we get Pokemon drops on NSO I imagine it will be these:

Pok%C3%A9mon_Pinball_Coverart.png
Pokemonpinballrubyandsapphire.png
220px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Puzzle_Challenge_Coverart.png
they should pull a star fox 2 and release pokemon picross for game boy, it's a really good version of picross and the game is fully playable without much knowledge of japanese.

For any SNES platforming fans, give Prehistorik Man a shot. Just beat it myself and I am bloody stunned at how solid of a game it is considering it was made by Titus of all devs.

I could also maybe see Mystery Dungeon at some point, since the remake has been out for awhile.

Hey you, Pikachu would be amazing as well, but you would need a peripheral. Maybe for the Switch 2 they will bring back microphone on the controller.
I doubt Hey You Pikachu would ever be emulated, the VRU is an actual mess to emulate.

So did that thing ever actually work on the original console or are all the videos true about it being so awful true? I never owned the game.
I had it as a kid and i'd say if you remembered to wait a second after hitting the "push to talk" button instead of starting to talk immediately, and enunciated real clearly, it'd probably work around 75% of the time

Like, in my experience it worked just well enough to not completely break the game and kept it playable enough for a bored 6-year-old pokemaniac's standards, but it was also still jank and could get really dang frustrating because sometimes Pikachu just ... wouldn't ... listen

So did that thing ever actually work on the original console or are all the videos true about it being so awful true? I never owned the game.
The device itself does the voice recognition, the N64 gets not a single byte of microphone audio. Meaning you would have to write a full on voice recognition thing just for this one game (and Densha de Go! 64).
It's just so unlikely to happen and not really worth the R&D money lol

The device itself does the voice recognition, the N64 gets not a single byte of microphone audio. Meaning you would have to write a full on voice recognition thing just for this one game (and Densha de Go! 64).
It's just so unlikely to happen and not really worth the R&D money lol
So the reason the recognition sucked is because the device itself is terrible?

So the reason the recognition sucked is because the device itself is terrible?
Oh god, so terrible. I remember coming across a video that had rigged up some Frankensteinesque monstrosity of cables and adapters to connect the N64 mic to a PC to record audio. I'll see if I can find it again, but to put it simply two cans and a taut string had better acoustics

Edit: It was actually an Era thread, but the vocaroo recording is as horrendous as you could imagine: https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...chu-and-i-swear-the-game-works-better.486673/

I'm not sure if this video is the one I was thinking of, but it's the first one I came across that looks like it fits the bill

For any SNES platforming fans, give Prehistorik Man a shot. Just beat it myself and I am bloody stunned at how solid of a game it is considering it was made by Titus of all devs.

Titus aren't to blame for Superman 64. They were operating under ridiculous conditions. There was no way they were going to deliver a quality game.

Titus aren't to blame for Superman 64. They were operating under ridiculous conditions. There was no way they were going to deliver a quality game.
Well I wasn't bringing up Superman 64 just the rest of their console catalogue which wasn't exactly the bees knees of amazing quality. Or at the least never set the world on fire.

But apparently we're going in that direction lol.

Rareware games: Snake, Rattle, n Roll, RC Pro AM, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Killier Instinct, and Blast Corps are out today!

Mother 3 is out today!...in Japan.

Blast Corps!

Interesting to see Killer Instinct as well, wasn’t expecting that one. I guess we’ll have the entire Rare catalog eventually.

So at this point, we have the following N64 Rare games that are missing.

• Banjo Tooie- Seems like a no brainer since the first game is already on the service.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day- This is the ultimate IDK. It basically comes down to whether Nintendo wants an M rated game in the same app as Super Mario 64.
  • Donkey Kong 64- No brainer
  • Diddy Kong Racing- Should be a no brainer, especially since Banjo made it to the system.
  • Killer Instinct Gold- Before this morning, I would have said not likely. We are back though!
  • Mickey's Speedway USA- Highly unlikely due to licensing issues
  • Perfect Dark- I would have said toss up, but supposedly it leaked from a datamine.
At this point, I think everything besides Mickey's Speedway has a good shot of ending up on the N64 app eventually.

Does the potential NSO additions list have the GBA Rareware titles?
Nothing today. IIRC, they only developed four GBA games plus the DKC ports. I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least the two Bajo games eventually.

So at this point, we have the following N64 Rare games that are missing.

• Banjo Tooie- Seems like a no brainer since the first game is already on the service.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day- This is the ultimate IDK. It basically comes down to whether Nintendo wants an M rated game in the same app as Super Mario 64.
  • Donkey Kong 64- No brainer
  • Diddy Kong Racing- Should be a no brainer, especially since Banjo made it to the system.
  • Killer Instinct Gold- Before this morning, I would have said not likely. We are back though!
  • Mickey's Speedway USA- Highly unlikely due to licensing issues
  • Perfect Dark- I would have said toss up, but supposedly it leaked from a datamine.
At this point, I think everything besides Mickey's Speedway has a good shot of ending up on the N64 app eventually.

Nothing today. IIRC, they only developed four GBA games plus the DKC ports. I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least the two Bajo games eventually.
They could do an 18 plus (I guess 17 in NA and regional equivalents) app like they did in Japan for the 2 mature games (and any third parties…hello Resident Evil 2)

Interested in trying some Snake Rattle N' Roll actually. When Rare stuck to their own ideas, their NES catalogue was pretty solid.

You know, I wonder if we'll ever get the Wizards and Warriors games on here.

I’m very eager to give SRR another go. I vaguely recall using a Game Genie on it back in the day and getting to the final level and couldn’t complete it due to either a glitch in the game or the device itself.

You know, I wonder if we'll ever get the Wizards and Warriors games on here.
IIRC, those are stuck in some sort of rights hell. So I wouldn’t put a lot of hope in them coming back.

I’m very eager to give SRR another go. I vaguely recall using a Game Genie on it back in the day and getting to the final level and couldn’t complete it due to either a glitch in the game or the device itself.

IIRC, those are stuck in some sort of rights hell. So I wouldn’t put a lot of hope in them coming back.
Throwback still seems to be around, and it looks like they didn't get the license taken. Maybe they would be willing to just license out the games as some quick cashgrab like Piko, Culture Brain, etc.

Maybe they don't even realize what they have lol. That happens with these license grabbers sometimes. They didn't seem interested in new games, and I doubt even remasters. But a simple license to emulate surely must be within the cards.

Back
Top Bottom