• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 157 77.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I just realized that we finally got something from poll in 2023! Everyone who picked Rareware games is a winner!

*Poll was put up in April after GB/GBA games were already added.

I suspect one reason Mega Drive slowed down is because the expansion pack rollout now has GBA updates, too. I'd expect another Mega Drive update before the end of the year; 3 updates per calendar year either 4 games a time is still 12 games for that system for the year. Sega could probably keep that up for another ~3 years without too much difficulty.

Jet Force Gemini is a really pleasant surprise and it increases the odds that the N64 library will contain a solid number of the Rare titles, which would in turn continue to make this by far the strongest official re-release library the N64 has had. I definitely still want to see Konami on board for Mystical Ninja, Castlevania and the Bomberman titles; Square Enix for Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle; and Sega/Atlus should get Snowboard Kids out, please.

I'm hoping GBA and Mega Drive get some love before the year is out; GBA's debut year being so inconsistent with updates has been a shame. It'd also be good if they could keep up their monthly run of GB additions on the base tier. I could go for some Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters this month.

Bloodborne
6388-nightmare-creatures-Nintendo-64-capa-1.jpg
Duke Nukem Zero Hour too.

A lot of the big game have to be saved for Switch 2 also
Unless you think they're relaunching these apps, you can't "save for switch 2" titles on nso when they'll come to both systems. Switch 2 if it's gonna advertise something exclusive for nso is likely to be new platforms not currently on Switch 1.

27 games on the international N64 app once Jet Force Gemini is added. Nintendo could feasibly get to 40 plus titles, doubling what they achieved on Virtual Console.

Already confirmed:
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Harvest Moon 64 (Japan-only so far but I suspect this becomes an international release)

Previously released on Wii and/or Wii U, not yet on NSO:
  • Cruisn' USA
  • Bomberman Hero
  • Smash Bros. 64
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Bomberman 64
  • Ogre Battle 64

Remaining Rare games:
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Blast Corps
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Perfect Dark
  • Mickey's Speedway USA

Even assuming some of these games don't make it (looking at you, Mickey's Speedway), the potential addition of the rest of Rare's library makes N64 NSO's journey to 40 or more titles somewhat feasible. It might be a stretch for all the remaining Rare games to come, but the fact we got Jet Force Gemini first and not something like Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps (planned for Wii U at one point) or Diddy Kong Racing (which Nintendo share ownership of) makes me think the remaining non-Disney titles could make the app. Add in the odd random third party pick, and cross your fingers for a little support from Japanese publishers, and N64 NSO will offer a really strong selection of the total N64 library in the year 2027 once Nintendo drip-feed this stuff out.

Unless you think they're relaunching these apps, you can't "save for switch 2" titles on nso when they'll come to both systems. Switch 2 if it's gonna advertise something exclusive for nso is likely to be new platforms not currently on Switch 1.
Well yeah it’s coming to both lol. They have to spread out the titles. Not every big title is coming now. Some big games will just happen to come out while Switch 2 is out.

Do you all think we'll get DS on NSO one day? They made it work with Wii U but with an install base so low I bet it is hard to gauge how much of a success that was. I have a retro handheld (PowKiddy RGB30) that has HDMI out and emulating the two screens stacked or side by side works well. I bet it was really cool on Wii U for some games, having the option of the secondary touch screen on the Game Pad.

I also think Switch 2.0 will get GameCube games. They will be infrequent drops and standalone apps but the sheer additional horsepower can surely make emulating titles not worth porting/remastering over worth it?

Never played JFG so will definitely try it out. Where is Harvest Moon, Nintendo?

Do you all think we'll get DS on NSO one day? They made it work with Wii U but with an install base so low I bet it is hard to gauge how much of a success that was. I have a retro handheld (PowKiddy RGB30) that has HDMI out and emulating the two screens stacked or side by side works well. I bet it was really cool on Wii U for some games, having the option of the secondary touch screen on the Game Pad.

I also think Switch 2.0 will get GameCube games. They will be infrequent drops and standalone apps but the sheer additional horsepower can surely make emulating titles not worth porting/remastering over worth it?

Never played JFG so will definitely try it out. Where is Harvest Moon, Nintendo?
I feel DS games would require a lot more of work, because of how the physical touchscreen is on the actual hardware... so many games would make you scratch it all around,.. it worked on Wii U, because the Gamepad has the same kind of screen, but the Switch screen is glass and it's not as sensible to the touch.

As for displaying both screens, it won't be ever comfortable, but that the least of the problems.

it's a pipe dream because it'd probably be up there with Goldeneye in terms of licensing headaches without any of the associated prestige, but I'd love to see Rare's Disney racing games come to NSO
Who knows.. we did get Quest for Camelot out of the blue...

Maybe after getting the GoldenEye license untangled, any other licensed game will be easy to get for the service lol.

I think DS will happen on new hardware. The subscription will need an additional source of titles after they've dined out on the current set of systems for a while and DS is just about feasible; there'd be compromises involved, depending on the functionality of new hardware, but I suspect Nintendo will be OK with that.
3D All-Stars versions of Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy, plus the recent ports of Pikmin 1 and 2, make me think we'll see the remaining GC/Wii libraries port over through a mix of ways; stand-alone, lower priced Hagi ports (like Pikmin 1/2, Sunshine, Galaxy) and more substantive remasters (like Paper Mario, Xenoblade, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Another Code, Metroid Prime). I think those libraries are too 'high value' and fodder for remakes/remasters/eShop ports rather than subscription content from the off.

Over time, Nintendo may well expand the subscription and include a premium tier which adds this stuff to the subscription, but I expect they will charge for these titles first.

I think DS will happen on new hardware. The subscription will need an additional source of titles after they've dined out on the current set of systems for a while and DS is just about feasible; there'd be compromises involved, depending on the functionality of new hardware, but I suspect Nintendo will be OK with that.

3D All-Stars versions of Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy, plus the recent ports of Pikmin 1 and 2, make me think we'll see the remaining GC/Wii libraries port over through a mix of ways; stand-alone, lower priced Hagi ports (like Pikmin 1/2, Sunshine, Galaxy) and more substantive remasters (like Paper Mario, Xenoblade, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Another Code, Metroid Prime). I think those libraries are too 'high value' and fodder for remakes/remasters/eShop ports rather than subscription content from the off.

Over time, Nintendo may well expand the subscription and include a premium tier which adds this stuff to the subscription, but I expect they will charge for these titles first.
I second this. Not to mention Links Awakening DX was added 4 years after the remake was on the market. Probably the reason why the GBA AW games won't be added anytime soon.

I hope they put out the 3d all stars versions of Mario galaxy and sunshine separately. Those ports were done dirty, and it’s a a shame they are not widely available

Now here's a thought. Rayman 2? Ubisoft used to rerelease that game all the time but recent rereleases have dried up. Surely now would be a good time for the classic N64 version.

I just realized that we finally got something from poll in 2023! Everyone who picked Rareware games is a winner!

*Poll was put up in April after GB/GBA games were already added.
I was looking at the poll earlier this week thinking about how aspirational it was lol. Glad we got to check off one box.

Now here's a thought. Rayman 2? Ubisoft used to rerelease that game all the time but recent rereleases have dried up. Surely now would be a good time for the classic N64 version.
It is a bit funny to me how for a decent stretch it seemed like Ubisoft would just put that game on pretty much any new console by default, and then they stopped right when remasters/remakes of '90s 3D platformers really started to pop off

Procrastinating and thinking through future N64 releases, and I've come up with a list of potential candidates. This is primarily based on a mix of factors; games where Nintendo own the license and no peripheral is required; games Nintendo published and the licensee has supported NSO in the past; games from companies already supporting NSO or previously on Virtual Console. I've stuck with titles likely to be released internationally because I can't be bothered going through the Japan-only stuff (sorry folks!). I've ruled out Ogre Battle 64 because Square Enix now own the rights to it and haven't supported NSO in any way, shape, or form and, for similar reasons, I've ruled out Mischief Makers (which is one I'd love to have on the service); I've ruled out Mickey's Speedway USA because I don't think either Nintendo or Microsoft will care about it enough to negotiate with Disney.

Based on present support for NSO, I'd guess that Konami, potentially Capcom, Namco, Sega and even THQ Nordic (who've supplied Alone in the Dark for GB NSO) might be the source of more future releases. Konami, even without the International Superstar Soccer games, would represent a steady supply of future releases given they own Hudson's stuff. I've listed Konami last because they have so many potential titles. With Konami, I've ignored regionally exclusive and licensed games, and have instead listed the stuff developed by Konami or Hudson with an international release, which means Konami would still have the license for them today.

This doesn't really represent what I'd like to see on the system - because Ogre Battle 64, Mischief Makers, and Space Station Silicon Valley would 100% be on that list - but it's designed to show a potential long-term release slate based on current support for NSO.

1. 1080 Snowboarding, Nintendo (confirmed internationally)
  2. Harvest Moon 64, Marvellous (Japan-only so far but I suspect this becomes an international release)
  3. Donkey Kong 64, Nintendo (Nintendo license; Jetpac being present shouldn't be a problem)
  4. Smash Bros. 64, Nintendo (the highest-profile remaining game on the system, previously on VC)
  5. Diddy Kong Racing, Nintendo/XGS (first ever official re-release for the original title, should happen with Xbox supporting NSO)
  6. Cruisn' USA, Nintendo (previously released on VC)
  7. Cruisn' World, Nintendo (never re-released, but Nintendo own the license I think)
  8. Tetrisphere, Nintendo/the Tetris Company (never re-released, but Tetris is on the GB app)
  9. Tetris Worlds, Nintendo/the Tetris Company (see above)
  10. Ridge Racer 64, Nintendo/Namco (Nintendo originally published it, unlikely to re-release otherwise)
  11. Banjo-Tooie, XGS (Rare/Xbox Game Studios on board)
  12. Blast Corps, XGS (see above)
  13. Killer Instinct Gold, XGS (see above)
  14. Conker's Bad Fur Day, XGS (18+/M-rated app?)
  15. Perfect Dark, XGS (18+/M-rated app?)
  16. Starcraft 64, XGS (no previous re-release of this version but I think it's possible now that Microsoft own the license)
  17. Mega Man 64, Capcom (not yet re-released)
  18. Resident Evil 2, Capcom (some notable differences to other versions of the game and unlikely to release in any other format)
  19. Snowboard Kids, Atlus/Sega (Sega on board with NSO EP and I think that may mean we get their titles for N64 and GBA)
  20. Snowboard Kids 2, Atlus/Sega (see above)
  21. Bomberman 64, Konami (previously released on VC, Konami titles already on NSO)
  22. Bomberman Hero, Konami (see above)
  23. Bomberman 64: the Second Attack!, Konami (never previously re-released, unlikely to release in another format)
  24. Castlevania 64, Konami (Konami titles already on NSO; unlikely to re-release in any other format)
  25. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Konami (see above)
  26. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Konami (see above)
  27. Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon, Konami (see above)
  28. G.A.S.P!! Fighters' NEXTream, Konami (see above)
  29. RakugaKids, Konami (see above)
  30. Hybrid Heaven, Konami (see above)
  31. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (see above)

A big question mark here is whether NSO/EP subscriptions remain lucrative enough for Nintendo to keep plugging away at building up these software libraries. On the one hand, slow growth for NSO means they need a steady supply of content to maintain subscriptions; on the other hand, they may well pivot away from ongoing classic game releases and find other ways to grow NSO in the years ahead. Right now I'd say that the N64 selection should cross the 40 mark in total, thanks primarily to Rare's titles and the remaining titles Nintendo published and which released on Virtual Console. But if Nintendo have secured more N64 licenses from other NSO supporters - especially Konami - then going to 50 plus games, or even 60 games, as the total library, might be possible.

So for 2023's NSO Expansion Pack drops here's how it shaked out. Nintendo alternated between N64 and GBA updates each month, with N64 claiming 7 months and GBA claiming the other 5. As the N64 library starts to dwindle we could see the ratio change in the upcoming years.

January: N64 update (GoldenEye 007)

February: GBA service launches

March: GBA update (Metroid Fusion)

April: N64 update (Pokémon Stadium)

May: GBA update (Mario Advance series)

June: GBA update (Fire Emblem)

July: N64 update (Pokémon Stadium 2) --> technically arrived in August for the Pokémon Presents

August: N64 update (Excitebike 64)

September: GBA update (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror)

October: N64 update (Mario Party 3)

November: N64 update (Jet Force Gemini)

December: N64 update (1080 Snowboarding) --> Nintendo reiterated this will release before the end of the year so it should be a safe assumption

For 2024 I think it's likely that we can already assign January and February to both being GBA updates since F-Zero Maximum Velocity and Golden Sun are the last remaining Expansion Pack games on the road map. (However Nintendo can throw a curveball of a different game dropping first like Mario Advance and Jet Force Gemini this year)

This gives us 10 months to work with. Assuming an even split for next year where N64 gets 6 games that drop, my hunch is we would see:

Super Smash Bros. --> biggest remaining 1st party game
Donkey Kong 64 --> Rare/Nintendo
Diddy Kong Racing --> Rare/Nintendo
Banjo-Tooie --> Rare
Blast Corps --> Rare
Perfect Dark --> Rare

Killer Instinct Gold and Conker's Bad Fur Day are also notable Rare games, though I believe neither ever released in Japan so they could just be titles for the west in which case Nintendo would need some Japan-only games as substitutes for them. We could also see some other 3rd party games since we haven't had a non-Rare one since Winback.

Procrastinating and thinking through future N64 releases, and I've come up with a list of potential candidates. This is primarily based on a mix of factors; games where Nintendo own the license and no peripheral is required; games Nintendo published and the licensee has supported NSO in the past; games from companies already supporting NSO or previously on Virtual Console. I've stuck with titles likely to be released internationally because I can't be bothered going through the Japan-only stuff (sorry folks!). I've ruled out Ogre Battle 64 because Square Enix now own the rights to it and haven't supported NSO in any way, shape, or form and, for similar reasons, I've ruled out Mischief Makers (which is one I'd love to have on the service); I've ruled out Mickey's Speedway USA because I don't think either Nintendo or Microsoft will care about it enough to negotiate with Disney.

Based on present support for NSO, I'd guess that Konami, potentially Capcom, Namco, Sega and even THQ Nordic (who've supplied Alone in the Dark for GB NSO) might be the source of more future releases. Konami, even without the International Superstar Soccer games, would represent a steady supply of future releases given they own Hudson's stuff. I've listed Konami last because they have so many potential titles. With Konami, I've ignored regionally exclusive and licensed games, and have instead listed the stuff developed by Konami or Hudson with an international release, which means Konami would still have the license for them today.

This doesn't really represent what I'd like to see on the system - because Ogre Battle 64, Mischief Makers, and Space Station Silicon Valley would 100% be on that list - but it's designed to show a potential long-term release slate based on current support for NSO.

2. Harvest Moon 64, Marvellous (Japan-only so far but I suspect this becomes an international release)
  3. Donkey Kong 64, Nintendo (Nintendo license; Jetpac being present shouldn't be a problem)
  4. Smash Bros. 64, Nintendo (the highest-profile remaining game on the system, previously on VC)
  5. Diddy Kong Racing, Nintendo/XGS (first ever official re-release for the original title, should happen with Xbox supporting NSO)
  7. Cruisn' World, Nintendo (never re-released, but Nintendo own the license I think)
  8. Tetrisphere, Nintendo/the Tetris Company (never re-released, but Tetris is on the GB app)
  10. Ridge Racer 64, Nintendo/Namco (Nintendo originally published it, unlikely to re-release otherwise)
  16. Starcraft 64, XGS (no previous re-release of this version but I think it's possible now that Microsoft own the license)
  18. Resident Evil 2, Capcom (some notable differences to other versions of the game and unlikely to release in any other format)
  19. Snowboard Kids, Atlus/Sega (Sega on board with NSO EP and I think that may mean we get their titles for N64 and GBA)
  21. Bomberman 64, Konami (previously released on VC, Konami titles already on NSO)
  23. Bomberman 64: the Second Attack!, Konami (never previously re-released, unlikely to release in another format)
  24. Castlevania 64, Konami (Konami titles already on NSO; unlikely to re-release in any other format)

A big question mark here is whether NSO/EP subscriptions remain lucrative enough for Nintendo to keep plugging away at building up these software libraries. On the one hand, slow growth for NSO means they need a steady supply of content to maintain subscriptions; on the other hand, they may well pivot away from ongoing classic game releases and find other ways to grow NSO in the years ahead. Right now I'd say that the N64 selection should cross the 40 mark in total, thanks primarily to Rare's titles and the remaining titles Nintendo published and which released on Virtual Console. But if Nintendo have secured more N64 licenses from other NSO supporters - especially Konami - then going to 50 plus games, or even 60 games, as the total library, might be possible.
The Cruis'n are all Nintendo owned; there shouldn't be any issue rereleasing them (including Exotica, which you didn't list);

imagem-2021-07-23-133732.png

(From top to bottom: USA, World, Exotica, Exotica GBC, Velocity and Cruis'n Wii)

And I HOPE they do add Rakuga Kids! That would be such a treat to have internationally and with online!

So for 2023's NSO Expansion Pack drops here's how it shaked out. Nintendo alternated between N64 and GBA updates each month, with N64 claiming 7 months and GBA claiming the other 5. As the N64 library starts to dwindle we could see the ratio change in the upcoming years.

July: N64 update (Pokémon Stadium 2) --> technically arrived in August for the Pokémon Presents

December: N64 update (1080 Snowboarding) --> Nintendo reiterated this will release before the end of the year so it should be a safe assumption

For 2024 I think it's likely that we can already assign January and February to both being GBA updates since F-Zero Maximum Velocity and Golden Sun are the last remaining Expansion Pack games on the road map. (However Nintendo can throw a curveball of a different game dropping first like Mario Advance and Jet Force Gemini this year)

This gives us 10 months to work with. Assuming an even split for next year where N64 gets 6 games that drop, my hunch is we would see:

Banjo-Tooie --> Rare
Blast Corps --> Rare
Perfect Dark --> Rare

Killer Instinct Gold and Conker's Bad Fur Day are also notable Rare games, though I believe neither ever released in Japan so they could just be titles for the west in which case Nintendo would need some Japan-only games as substitutes for them. We could also see some other 3rd party games since we haven't had a non-Rare one since Winback.

Yeah these are definitely a great list of candidates. Really sucks that Square Enix is refusing to play ball for NSO, considering it's likely gonna bar Mishief Makers from appearing on the service, and also let Ogre Battle 64 remain as the only Wii/Wii U VC game not released on NSO.

Et3B9Wy.png

You forgot The 3rd cruising game, cruisin exotica.

Fighters destiny duology and Flying dragons both come from companies playing nice with Nintendo as well

The thing that hurts me more about square not supporting NSO is loosing the chance of playing FFT Advance. Lets hope they will remaster it someday then.

Some other games:

Chameleon Twist 1 and 2 are owned by Sunsoft who have multiple games on NSO
Extreme-G 1, 2, and Iggy's Reckin' Ball's are now owned by Throwback Entertainment who have Bombuzal and Jelly Boy on NSO
Glover is owned by Piko Interactive who have a couple of games on NSO
As far as I recall International Superstar Soccer 64 doesn't have any licenses as supposed to its two follow ups
I'm pretty sure International Track & Field 2000 also doesn't contain any licenses

The thing that hurts me more about square not supporting NSO is loosing the chance of playing FFT Advance. Lets hope they will remaster it someday then.
I do wonder if there's a chance for this to change so that a handful of games come to the Expansion Pack, with Ogre Battle 64 and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance being the most obvious picks given they've previously launched on Virtual Console. For purely selfish reasons, I'd also want Mischief Makers on N64. But it doesn't look likely right now and I'd assume that Square doing anything for the base tier isn't happening at all. I'll hold out a sliver of hope for Square supporting the EP purely because Nintendo are likely to pay a little more for licensing.
Some other games:

Extreme-G 1, 2, and Iggy's Reckin' Ball's are now owned by Throwback Entertainment who have Bombuzal and Jelly Boy on NSO
As far as I recall International Superstar Soccer 64 doesn't have any licenses as supposed to its two follow ups
I'm pretty sure International Track & Field 2000 also doesn't contain any licenses
The more you dig the more you find! It could end up being a surprisingly large selection in the long run. Really depends how Nintendo run NSO from here on out, but the combined appeal of further additions with the strong existing library is a decent selling point.

Some other games:

I enjoyed eXtreme-G 1 back then (my brother bought it with Super Mario 64) and I still do today. It's nowhere perfect nor good but I dig the soundtrack, the lightning effects are pretty good especially for its time and no, the fog / draw distance isn't THAT bad in single player.

And despite everything wrong with XG : eXtreme-G2 (like how it's now 40% slower, touching any wall during a turn WILL make you go in reverse in 99,99999% of the time), I still enjoyed it a bit. I managed to 100% the game back then by having 7 laps to all grand prix tracks, getting the best weapon spawn (homing missiles or better : Leader missile) and spammed it to destroy all the CPU and finish my 7 laps alone (yay !).

The look on my stupid face when I unlocked the Bikers. Not a new bike, no no no, the BIKER of said bike. Running on foot on the track at the same speed of his own bike, screaming during a jump or when hitting a wall. It was hilariously stupid.

Banjo-Tooie --> Rare
Blast Corps --> Rare
Perfect Dark --> Rare

It's crazy how little of a first party presence Nintendo had on this machine without Rare.

Hm, my wishlist from @MisterSpo post :

1. Donkey Kong 64, Nintendo (Nintendo license; Jetpac being present shouldn't be a problem)
  2. Diddy Kong Racing, Nintendo/XGS (first ever official re-release for the original title, should happen with Xbox supporting NSO)
  3. Cruisn' USA, Nintendo (previously released on VC)
  4. Cruisn' World, Nintendo (never re-released, but Nintendo own the license I think)
  5. Banjo-Tooie, XGS (Rare/Xbox Game Studios on board)
  6. Blast Corps, XGS (see above)
  7. Conker's Bad Fur Day, XGS (18+/M-rated app?)
  8. Perfect Dark, XGS (18+/M-rated app?)
  9. Mega Man 64, Capcom (not yet re-released)
  10. Snowboard Kids, Atlus/Sega (Sega on board with NSO EP and I think that may mean we get their titles for N64 and GBA)
  11. Snowboard Kids 2, Atlus/Sega (see above)
  12. Bomberman 64, Konami (previously released on VC, Konami titles already on NSO)
  13. Bomberman Hero, Konami (see above)
  14. Bomberman 64: the Second Attack!, Konami (never previously re-released, unlikely to release in another format)
  15. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Konami (see above)
  16. Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon, Konami (see above)
  17. G.A.S.P!! Fighters' NEXTream, Konami (see above)
  18. RakugaKids, Konami (see above)
  19. Hybrid Heaven, Konami (see above)
  20. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (see above)

Yeah, I added G.A.S.P!! Fighter's NEXTream because of how terrible it is. You too will G.A.S.P!! with how bad it looks, and also G.A.S.P!! with how insane the input lag is. You will G.R.A.S.P!! to touch some G.R.A.S.S!! when you'll hear the music.

To quote Beauty from Beauty & The Beast (by GoodTimes Entertainement / GT Interactive) :

EDIT :
Oh and please, Nintendo, add GT64, the official Gran Turismo killer on the system and arguably the BEST, and by God I mean it, THE B.E.S.T!! (gasp !) vaccum cleaner simulator.

Do not ajust YouTube resolution. Do not ajust your speakers volume. Do not adjust your glasses. This is worse than Superman. This is... GT64.

Hm, my wishlist from @MisterSpo post :

Yeah, I added G.A.S.P!! Fighter's NEXTream because of how terrible it is. You too will G.A.S.P!! with how bad it looks, and also G.A.S.P!! with how insane the input lag is. You will G.R.A.S.P!! to touch some G.R.A.S.S!! when you'll hear the music.

To quote Beauty from Beauty & The Beast (by GoodTimes Entertainement / GT Interactive) :

EDIT :
Oh and please, Nintendo, add GT64, the official Gran Turismo killer on the system and arguably the BEST, and by God I mean it, THE B.E.S.T!! (gasp !) vaccum cleaner simulator.

Do not ajust YouTube resolution. Do not ajust your speakers volume. Do not adjust your glasses. This is worse than Superman. This is... GT64.

You mean the deadly arts

Also no bashing Imagineer, they gave us Fighters destiny and Fitness boxing

You mean the deadly arts

Also no bashing Imagineer, they gave us Fighters destiny and Fitness boxing
I will defend Imagineer to the end because they always managed to publish / work on games that were, well, quite imaginative.

. Fighter's Destiny was full of creativity and had pretty good ideas that got even better in the sequel (with the board game/RPG included !)

. Quest 64 / Holy Magic Century, for its numerous flaws, still had an original fighting system that wasn't a copy and paste of a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. It also had one of the most impressive draw distance on any N64 game with massive lands to explore. And you could explore every single room of every single house in all the towns, including all the rooms of an hotel in the biggest town. It was mostly useless, but they did it anyway. Too bad the sequel was cancelled.

I really hope they add Animal Forest to the Japanese N64 app. They probably won’t translate it but my baby level of Japanese will get put to extreme use trying to play it

It's crazy how little of a first party presence Nintendo had on this machine without Rare.
The licensed games were what kept me hooked on the system.
Disney's Tarzan, Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue, Spider-Man, Rugrats, Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer, etc.

The library feels more or less "complete" with first party, with maybe a year tops to fill out the stragglers like Smash and DK. If Nintendo wants to keep the N64 service fresh during the life of the next system, I think they'll start shelling out the bucks to get some of those weird licensed titles aboard.

They already seem to be figuring stuff out of Gameboy (Who had Quest for Camelot on their bingo card?)

Banjo-Tooie --> Rare
Blast Corps --> Rare
Perfect Dark --> Rare

Looking back at what I considered my PESSIMISTIC prediction of only 1 new GBA game per month and nintendo being so fucking dogshit at updating NSO that they couldn't even manage that.

And nintendo somehow still wonders why their NSO sales numbers are so fucking low.

Looking back at what I considered my PESSIMISTIC prediction of only 1 new GBA game per month and nintendo being so fucking dogshit at updating NSO that they couldn't even manage that.

And nintendo somehow still wonders why their NSO sales numbers are so fucking low.

It sucks but I honestly, I get it. They clearly plan on milking this for years (as it'll likely carry over onto the next platform) and they don't want to just completely blow their wad in one go, kinda like what they ended up doing with the SNES games.

Except they don't wonder that at all. They're at 38m+ and it's steadily growing. Sony with most of a decade head start on their sub service is only at 48m. Whatever the reasonable cap is for subscribers for such a service is, they're pretty close to it.
The growth has drastically slowed down though. The only gained 2 million new subscribers last year.

Yeah they have to milk this because they want this to go years. It’s called NSO = Nintendo Switch Online. So it needs to keep having games added to it for Nintendo Switch 2.

Once again time for an update:
z8ZydRY.png

Notable is the addition of the 18+ N64 NSO app in Japan, indicated by the Cero Z icon and a black outline - and also something I missed last update which was the return of SP versions of games (specifically Ninja JaJaMaru-kun SP) after a 16 month hiatus (or 27 month for NES/Famicom SP versions). A similar format will be used if any other 18+ apps are made (western apps will use the modern ESRB M - or potentially the AO - rating symbol, and if there are specifically European/Oceanian/Korean apps for 18+ then those regions' respective ratings boards symbols will be used).

---

Another observation brought about with the addition of Jet Force Gemini to NSO: we can now say pretty definitively that titles that were not originally planned for at the time of the original release of NSO N64 have now been added. You all may remember the fact that at launch N64 NSO titles were stored under IDs that followed apparent alphabetical order of their titles, and had perfectly sized gaps for later titles to be slotted in.

While these IDs were immediately shuffled and randomised in subsequent updates, we have now hit the point that we have too many titles to comfortably fit into those pre-existing gaps - specifically the 5 ID gap between Dr. Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64:
5Bvm94H.png

As shown above - there are now 6 (or 7) titles that would have to be between Dr. Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 if we had an alphabetical order - Excitebike 64, F-Zero X, Goldeneye 007, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (or its JP title of Hoshi no Kirby 64, which would still fall in this gap), Jet Force Gemini, Mario Golf and then the edge case of Harvest Moon 64 (which could instead be placed in the first gap under its JP title, Bokujo Monogatari 2). Jet Force Gemini also has a different title in JP - Star Twins - but that title would have to be between Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 64, where there isn't a gap.

So either way, at least one title has been added that wasn't originally accounted for in this ID system - presumably either Goldeneye 007 (due to how complicated negotiations for this likely were) or Jet Force Gemini (due to sheer recency plus being non-1st party) is the later addition - or potentially even both of them were.

---
Do you have a version of this list that includes the game titles instead of just the box art?
Sure, but be warned - it's very wordy:
Titles that were on VC:
  • Gomoku Narabe Renju (1983, Famicom) - was on Wii VC (JP-only) and Wii U VC (JP-only)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math (1983, Famicom/NES) - was on Wii VC (WW, except Korea) and Wii U VC (WW)
  • Golf (1984, Famicom/NES/FDS) - was on Wii VC (WW, except Korea) and Wii U VC (WW), was also built into the Switch OS until firmware version 4.0.0, full remakes of all courses exist on Switch in Nintendo Switch Sports and 51 Worldwide Classics.
  • Urban Champion (1984, Famicom/NES) - was on Wii VC (WW) and Wii U VC (WW), not on 3DS VC due to 3D Classics: Urban Champion being there instead, arcade version on Switch via Arcade Archives
  • Mach Rider (1985, Famicom/NES) - was on Wii VC (WW, except Korea), 3DS VC (WW, except Taiwan/HK) and Wii U VC (WW)
  • Famicom Fairytales: Shin Onigashima - Both Disks (1987, FDS) - was on Wii VC (JP-only), 3DS VC (JP-only) and Wii U VC (JP-only)
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Both Disks (1988, FDS) - was on Wii VC (JP-only), 3DS VC (JP-only) and Wii U VC (JP-only), full remake on Switch in 2021
  • Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl Who Stands Behind - Both Disks (1989, FDS) - was on Wii VC (JP-only), 3DS VC (JP-only) and Wii U VC (JP-only), full remake on Switch in 2021
  • NES Play Action Football (1990, NA NES) - was on Wii VC (NA-only)
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden (1992, Famicom) - was on Wii VC (JP-only), 3DS VC (JP-only) and Wii U VC (JP-only), full remake (Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) on 3DS in 2017
  • Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (1994, NA NES) - was on Wii VC (NA and PAL-only) and Wii U VC (NA and PAL-only)
  • Donkey Kong: Original Edition (2012, 3DS VC) - version of Donkey Kong that is closer to the arcade version made for 3DS VC (WW, except for Korea and TW/HK), erroneously shown on graphic as not being on VC
Titles that haven't been on VC:
  • Mahjong (1983, Famicom/FDS) - arcade version on Switch via Arcade Archives
  • 4 Player Strike Mahjong (1984, Famicom)
  • F-1 Race (1984, Famicom) - potential rights issue over F1 name
  • Golf: Japan Course (1987, FDS)
  • Golf: US Course (1987, FDS)
  • Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race (1987, FDS) - potential rights issue over F1 name
  • Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally (1988, FDS)
  • Vs. Ice Climber (1988, FDS) - based on the arcade version, which is on Switch via Arcade Archives
  • Kaettekita Mario Bros. (1988, FDS)
  • Famicom Fairytales: Yuyuki - Both Disks (1989, FDS)
  • Knight Move (1990, FDS)
  • Backgammon (1990, FDS)
  • New 4 Player Strike Mahjong: Yakuman Tengoku (1991, FDS)
  • Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Both Disks (1991, FDS) - this games questionable content might be reason why this won't rerelease
  • Mario Bros. - Classic Series (1993, PAL NES)
Requires emulating a peripheral:
  • Wild Gunman (1984, Famicom/NES) - requires NES Zapper emulation, was on Wii U VC (WW)
  • Duck Hunt (1984, Famicom/NES) - requires NES Zapper emulation, was on Wii U VC (WW)
  • Hogan's Alley (1984, Famicom/NES) - requires NES Zapper emulation, was on Wii U VC (WW)
  • Family BASIC (1984, Famicom) - requires Famicom Keyboard emulation, is just a programming language/command line interface
  • Family BASIC V3 (1985, Famicom) - requires Famicom Keyboard emulation, is just a programming language/command line interface
  • Stack Up (1985, Famicom/NES) - requires R.O.B. emulation
  • Gyromite (1985, Famicom/NES) - requires R.O.B. emulation
  • Gumshoe (1985, NES) - requires NES Zapper emulation
  • To The Earth (1989, NES) - requires NES Zapper emulation
  • Short Order / Eggsplode! (1989, NA NES) - requires NES Power Pad emulation
Requires licensing:
  • Popeye (1983, Famicom/NES) - Popeye copyright owned by King Features, enters the public domain in 2025, but King Features will still hold trademarks
  • Popeye's English Fun (1983, Famicom) - Popeye copyright owned by King Features, enters the public domain in 2025, but King Features will still hold trademarks
  • All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (1986, FDS) - Official romhack of Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels featuring the name of the Japanese late-night radio show All Night Nippon, and the likenesses of several of its cast members - rights owned by Fuji Television.
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (1987, Famicom/FDS) - The original NES version of Punch-Out!!, featuring the name and likeness of boxer Mike Tyson
  • Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School (1987, FDS) - Features the name and likeness of pop idol Miho Nakayama, also would require recreating/replicating the real-life toll-free phone number conversations that the game reveals to help progress the story.
  • Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic (1987, FDS) - Original version of Super Mario USA, features the name and mascots of the Yume Kojo '87 festival.
  • Tetris (1989, Famicom/NES) - requires licensing from the Tetris Company, who are already involved with NSO
  • Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (1990, NES) - Uses the IP of the first network television cartoon series, Barker Bill's Cartoon Show, of which the rights are owned by Paramount - also requires NES Zapper emulation
  • Yoshi's Cookie (1992, Famicom/NES) - was on Wii VC (WW) but was delisted due to legal complications over ownership with Bullet-Proof Software.
  • Tetris 2 (1993, Famicom/NES) - requires licensing from the Tetris Company, who are already involved with NSO

They just randomly dropped four NSO things at the same time lol.

F-Zero 99 update (adding Classic Race):

Two Tetris 99 themes:

and holiday themed NSO icons:

Got hit with an alarm today, reminding me of some predictions I made when Expansion Pack was new. On the whole more right than wrong I think, but the pure numbers aren't as high as I thought they'd be.

Back
Top Bottom