• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 156 77.6%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Yeah sorry. It’s the suspend menu. So I’m sure it mirrors it pretty exactly as the z button and left trigger would be mirrors in how you hold it.

I have done a little digging and found it does indeed have -, Screenshot, and Swap, with Swap changing between Pro Controller and N64 Controllers mode.

My question is, where are the screenshot and swap buttons on the controller, and what does the - button map to in N64 mode? Does it map to nothing? Is it a second screenshot button? Does it just map to a ghost -? Does it open the suspend menu, as if it's being read as ZR?

Random aside, but my brother in law has an N64 set up in their guest area and we’ve been playing smash the last year or so when we visit. It is so hard to not have side B or charge smash attacks. Still pretty amazing going back and seeing how the base mechanics were nailed so well though.
I will say that those limitations are why Smash Remix is my favorite mod for any Smash game. It's a lot easier for the mod to be pick up and play compared to later mods where people spend half the match trying to figure out wtf their character can actually do.

Just had the thought...

Do you think Nintendo will ever add more DLC from their 1st Party Switch games to the Expansion Pack? EPD games should be a more of a safe bet, so Splatoon 3 seems to be a good candidate.. I don't know why they didn't include Breath of the Wild's DLC by now.

and how the heck the Tetris 99's DLC isn't part of this? Literally a game you can only have access by paying the subscription...

Just had the thought...

Do you think Nintendo will ever add more DLC from their 1st Party Switch games to the Expansion Pack? EPD games should be a more of a safe bet, so Splatoon 3 seems to be a good candidate.. I don't know why they didn't include Breath of the Wild's DLC by now.

and how the heck the Tetris 99's DLC isn't part of this? Literally a game you can only have access by paying the subscription...
I figured when they called it “Expansion Pack” it was because they were going to focus on first party dlc expansions. Since launch we got the Animal Crossing DLC, Splatoon 2 DLC and Mario Kart DLC. Now Mario Kart’s DLC has been going for like 2 years but that’s over so I assume they’re going to start finding other DLC packs to throw in as value adds.

I figured when they called it “Expansion Pack” it was because they were going to focus on first party dlc expansions. Since launch we got the Animal Crossing DLC, Splatoon 2 DLC and Mario Kart DLC. Now Mario Kart’s DLC has been going for like 2 years but that’s over so I assume they’re going to start finding other DLC packs to throw in as value adds.
It's madness to me that Spaltoon 3 and Big Block DLC didn't come to it ASAP. They positioned it as including, well, expansion packs, and then didn't provide any after the first few months. Absolutely ridiculous. It's like the product designers for Expansion Pack and whatever bean counter decides how things are made available have been in deadlock for years, unwilling to communicate with each other.

I don't know why they didn't include Breath of the Wild's DLC by now.
They probably only want to comp DLC for games with multiplayer components. Which is why the Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2 DLCs are included even though those expansions are single-player focused.

I expect Side Order will show up before end of 2024. That’s the logical choice and Nintendo doesn’t really have a lot of other first party multiplayer options.

Just had the thought...

They might include a couple of DLC season passes next year since 2024 is going to be on the quieter end for releases. That would be nice.

I've been stubbornly holding off Fire Emblem DLC.

I have no idea why there aren't third party shells for the NSO N64 controllers yet.
I guess it has something to do with the fact they are only available through Nintendo official store (and you need to have NSO subscription) thus they're much more limited in numbers compared to the Joy-Con. And also more complicated to put them together.

Just had the thought...

I think they were probably more focused on having their multiplayer dlc in the Expansion service as to retain more active users.

Well if we are getting any more updates for the year, it is probably this week or bust.

Come on Genesis!

If Nintendo were to put most of their DLC expansions on NSO+EP, then people would come to expect it and stop actually buying any DLC for themselves at launch in hopes that it’ll just come to NSO+EP instead. Nintendo knows better than to fall into the Ubisoft trap of teaching your consumers to not pay for your products—which is also why they only offer the NSO Game Trials and emulated classic games with their online subscription service rather than offering full modern games like other platforms do (and I very much prefer that Nintendo does it this way, too).

The three DLC expansion packs that are currently offered with NSO+EP make a great deal of sense. I have no doubt that the DLC for those three games (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Splatoon 2) were specifically chosen over others because they are the top three best-selling first-party, fully owned Nintendo games with DLC that also have NSO functionality. Nintendo is clearly going for DLC with the biggest reach here, because it just makes the most sense to offer DLC for the games that have the largest install base—and, in turn, likely the largest amount of people who already own the game but not its DLC.

Using this logic, Luigi’s Mansion 3 should currently be next in line to have its DLC expansion added to NSO+EP (though Splatoon 3 isn’t far behind and will likely pass it soon)…but that’s if Nintendo feels the need to add more DLC to NSO+EP anytime soon, which they may not. But after Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Splatoon 3, there aren’t really any other first-party, fully owned Nintendo games with DLC that also have NSO functionality with anywhere near the range of sales (10+ million units sold) of the other games featured in NSO+EP to justify their inclusion in it as well.

N64 and the GBA apps are on the Featured Page in the NA eShop.

Will the Golden Sun shine on us finally?
GBA Mario Tennis/Golf are also missing so they might be released together.

I seem to recall the GBA Starfy games are not exactly text heavy. Do you think there's a good shot they will get Western releases also?

GBA Mario Tennis/Golf are also missing so they might be released together.

I seem to recall the GBA Starfy games are not exactly text heavy. Do you think there's a good shot they will get Western releases also?
How do you mean they are missing??

The only Starfy game we got here was the DS one

N64 wasn’t their emulation A-team. Was also bogged down by a pretty old base
If anything, I assume that'd be outsourced to someone, like how M2 did the Mega Drive/Genesis emulator
I dunno if it's a hot take or anything, but I would much rather have an overhaul to the N64 emulation than another system. It got botched so hard and I just can't bring myself to play it even though there's games I love on there. My point was more so the N64 and Saturn have a stigma of being hard to emulate even though one is solved now (N64) and Saturn is still getting there (but much better than it was).

I'd also like for libraries to be drained before they start adding more systems, which makes updates for certain ones get less frequent but that's more a problem with Nintendo's update model rather than all that. Ideally, there would be at least 1 game per system per month.

You expect Nintendo to make a working Saturn emulator after how much they struggled with N64?

I was kidding since I just kind of wanted a SEGA update and Christmas NiGHTS was the most absurd thing imaginable, but no, I would expect M2 to do it. Since they already mentioned working on Saturn emulation for a hypothetical Saturn Mini but ended up doing a second Mega Drive Mini because of the cost of producing hardware powerful enough. If they have an idea of how powerful of hardware they'd need, surely they made some progress before pivoting.

I dunno about the idea of "draining" libraries before adding more though. Adding more consoles doesn't really feel like it's something that would get in the way of adding SimCity, 7th Saga, or Uncharted Waters to SNES Online or whatever. The update scheduling could just stand to be a little better planned so releases are more evenly spread and people who want a specific system aren't dealing with droughts. Though I guess the idea could be that they have other games to play on other systems so long as updates of SOME kind are frequent enough...

New poll is up for the new year. Here are the final results. Glad to see at least one of the choices come through.

cj3aWpR.png

I think I have to recuse myself from the poll. My honest, unsarcastic answer is that it will be available all at once, or at least it should be.

However a part of me can't fully discount the restart at NES in 2025 because they'll say "fuck you" with the same cadence Mario says "wahoo"

I think I have to recuse myself from the poll. My honest, unsarcastic answer is that it will be available all at once, or at least it should be.

However a part of me can't fully discount the restart at NES in 2025 because they'll say "fuck you" with the same cadence Mario says "wahoo"

If Nintendo decides to restart the retro library for the FIFTH time with just NES games, I will probably be permed here for what I will do in response.

If they’re gonna do any revamping at all of the retro apps for the new system, it’d be nice if they could allow us to inject ROMs from purchased classic/legacy collections to keep all of our old games in one place. For example, if I own the Mega Man Legacy Collection on the eShop, Mega Mans 1-6 just show up in the NES app, even if I don’t have the MMLC installed.

They won’t do this though lol

Anyway, no chance the restart the library with NES games. I think they know they won’t get away with it.

If Nintendo decides to restart the retro library for the FIFTH time with just NES games, I will probably be permed here for what I will do in response.
Honestly, same.

I wish I could believe in rationality. I wish I could believe there is intention to maintain ongoing accounts and that it will be continuous support going forward...but like you said, for a company that relies on patterns, this one is the most obvious and I fear for what the announcement of the new system will hold.

If they’re gonna do any revamping at all of the retro apps for the new system, it’d be nice if they could allow us to inject ROMs from purchased classic/legacy collections to keep all of our old games in one place. For example, if I own the Mega Man Legacy Collection on the eShop, Mega Mans 1-6 just show up in the NES app, even if I don’t have the MMLC installed.

They won’t do this though lol

Anyway, no chance the restart the library with NES games. I think they know they won’t get away with it.
Well at least we know they have those Mega Man games ready any time they want since that leaked NES NSO build lol
I think they won't do like that this time, however I could see Switch 2 builds of the NSO apps being done later, maybe, relying on the BC for a bit of time as I just kinda think even on Switch 2 launch, just like Switch 1, not everything will be ready in time

Legally I don't think they could ever do this. They would be messing with a product by a 3rd party company by extracting things from it to use in their app. They would have to enter into agreements with a number of publisher for all these titles and then test the games within the emulator to ensure it works without issue. Can't see this ever being worth it.

I for once have faith this will transition day 1 to the new console. And PC Engine will be added to the service for all systems…

Either native apps with the full library or the existing ones will just run through BC, in which case you'd have to imagine the full library would be available as normal. Surely even Nintendo can't justify artificially blocking this.

Nintendo continues to emphasize using an NSO account to "keep your purchases going forward" and "to provide more value over time". I'd be shocked if they did ANOTHER reset, especially after going through hoops for Goldeneye 64.

Yeah for now I have to assume Nintendo wouldn't force people to have to restart from stratch when it comes to NSO libraries, because frankly if they can't handle something as simple as that then they can't handle remaining a console manufacturer.

They're probably not going to proactively update the apps to make them all native and adjust things like scaling factors (that will come down the line as part of standard NSO updates), but it'd be fairly shocking if they weren't all usable as is from day 1.

I'm assuming backward compatibility across the board for Switch 2, so as a result I've kinda just been assuming they won't start over with NSO

A big thing to consider is the motivations are different this time; moving from Wii to WiiU and 3DS, Nintendo had an incentive to get you to rebuy your retro games, and that (for them) helped justify the "clean slate" approach. But with a subscription service, you want as little friction as possible. You want to keep people feeling good abut staying subscribed forever. An NSO reset would potentially undo a huge chunk of the work they've done this generation building up a steady stream of "free money" via the NSO subscriber base, which goes against all their previous messaging regarding their future plans for the service

That said, my called shot is that while the full NSO library will technically be available day 1 via BC, I'm guessing something about their Switch-Switch 2 back-compat solution will somehow specifically break N64 emulation for a couple games in new and exciting ways that'll take the better part of a year to be meaningfully addressed

I'm assuming backward compatibility across the board for Switch 2, so as a result I've kinda just been assuming they won't start over with NSO

A big thing to consider is the motivations are different this time; moving from Wii to WiiU and 3DS, Nintendo had an incentive to get you to rebuy your retro games, and that (for them) helped justify the "clean slate" approach. But with a subscription service, you want as little friction as possible. You want to keep people feeling good abut staying subscribed forever. An NSO reset would potentially undo a huge chunk of the work they've done this generation building up a steady stream of "free money" via the NSO subscriber base, which goes against all their previous messaging regarding their future plans for the service

That said, my called shot is that while the full NSO library will technically be available day 1 via BC, I'm guessing something about their Switch-Switch 2 back-compat solution will somehow specifically break N64 emulation for a couple games in new and exciting ways that'll take the better part of a year to be meaningfully addressed
While I agree with this, I would point out the main driver of NSO subs is online play. Even if they did reset the classic games library again, 90% of people will still subscribe to whatever the basic tier is so they can play Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Smash online. This will be especially true if/when Switch 2 starts to get some of the bigger 3rd party titles that missed Switch 1 like Call of Duty and Madden.

I don't think they start over with NSO. They've gradually worked up to over 250 games and 36 million subscribers, and I don't think they want to waste that work. They'll want to retain as much as possible.

Plus, it's not like they've exhausted their options. The GameBoy systems are just getting started, and even NES still has odd omissions. We also shouldn't assume that the subscription remains exactly the same; it'll be reworked at some point and I expect the attraction or selling point is going to become the overall retro library as opposed to the steady drip-feed additions. They should top 300 games on the service this year and that's an easy marketing point to get across to retain and attract subscribers.

I just want to be able to continue using the NSO N64 controllers on the next system.

I use mine all the time, and bought two of them so I would have a spare whenever the analog stick on the first eventually wears out.

I just want to be able to continue using the NSO N64 controllers on the next system.

I use mine all the time, and bought two of them so I would have a spare whenever the analog stick on the first eventually wears out.
I am desperately holding off buying a second (and third and fourth) in the vain hopes that we might finally get the funtastic colours

what-colour-was-your-most-used-n64-controller-v0-gcyw7tyxegfa1.jpg

Like c'mon, I just want the arctic blue again. Hell, I just wish some custom controller modder would make translucent resin shells like they did for Joy-Cons and GC controllers

I am desperately holding off buying a second (and third and fourth) in the vain hopes that we might finally get the funtastic colours

what-colour-was-your-most-used-n64-controller-v0-gcyw7tyxegfa1.jpg

Like c'mon, I just want the arctic blue again. Hell, I just wish some custom controller modder would make translucent resin shells like they did for Joy-Cons and GC controllers

I dread the day Nintendo announces any color variants for the N64 controllers because my wallet will weep.

It’s not in the poll but I expect this year:
  • Price increase or a new subscription tier is introduced or some sort of pricing / structure shakeup in general
  • TG-16 NSO app
  • Pokémon Gen 1 & 2 after April (unless they sell them separately in the eShop… which… now that I think about is probably going to be the route they take since they’ll need a way to transfer the saves to Home)
  • Donkey Kong ‘94 to coincide with Mario vs. DK in February
  • We still don’t get border options like with the Minis 😭
I would still love to see Super Game Boy (2) added as an option to the GB emulator but I highly doubt they’ll ever do it which pains me as someone who used that a ton as a kid

Nintendo continues to emphasize using an NSO account to "keep your purchases going forward" and "to provide more value over time". I'd be shocked if they did ANOTHER reset, especially after going through hoops for Goldeneye 64.
I imagine if they did a reset like that they would lose a not insignificant amount of their subscription base. Sure it’s for online play primarily but the retro collection is one of the better deals in gaming right now (assuming you haven’t played them before aren’t a jerk about retro).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom