• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 104 56.2%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 20 10.8%

• Total voters
Well, an XBOX port just got announced, so maybe a Switch 2 port?
Ah, I forgot about the news about the Xbox version. (From what I'm finding, I'm only seeing an ESRB leak and not an official announcement. Perhaps it'll be at the upcoming ID@Xbox IGN showcase?) I didn't realize there were signs of activity around the game. In that case, I totally agree about a Switch 2 port being possible.

Similarly, Jedi: Survivor randomly having announced PS4/XB1 versions is a reason I suspect that game is being ported to Switch 2.

If your concern was screen resolution on the 3DS, then you weren’t really doing yourself any favors by not using 3D, because the resolution is literally doubled width-wise on 3DS in 3D mode due to the autostereoscopic screen with its half-width pixels sending a 400x240 resolution image to each eye, creating an effectively 800x240 image. You’re literally seeing a bigger, better picture in 3D mode, and you lose that in 2D mode.

Also, the relatively low resolution worked in the 3DS’s favor when it came to its capability to display 3D, because two viewpoints have to be rendered at once for 3D, and it’s a whole lot easier to render two 400x240 viewpoints at once than it is to render two 1920x1080 viewpoints. I say this as someone who would very much like to see the return of autostereoscopic 3D on a new Nintendo system, too, but I recognize it would be rather difficult to realistically implement, unfortunately…
NVIDIA discontinued 3D Vision some years ago, but they could bring back a custom version for Nintendo.

If your concern was screen resolution on the 3DS, then you weren’t really doing yourself any favors by not using 3D, because the resolution is literally doubled width-wise on 3DS in 3D mode due to the autostereoscopic screen with its half-width pixels sending a 400x240 resolution image to each eye, creating an effectively 800x240 image. You’re literally seeing a bigger, better picture in 3D mode, and you lose that in 2D mode.

Also, the relatively low resolution worked in the 3DS’s favor when it came to its capability to display 3D, because two viewpoints have to be rendered at once for 3D, and it’s a whole lot easier to render two 400x240 viewpoints at once than it is to render two 1920x1080 viewpoints. I say this as someone who would very much like to see the return of autostereoscopic 3D on a new Nintendo system, too, but I recognize it would be rather difficult to realistically implement, unfortunately…
TBF some games did super-sampling in 2D mode, like OoT 3D. So in that case you weren't losing pixels.

There were also some games that just performed so badly in 3D that the improved framerate was worth losing 3D, lol

NVIDIA discontinued 3D Vision some years ago, but they could bring back a custom version for Nintendo.
3D Vision was great to have in the driver for playing stuff in stereo 3D that wasn't even built with it in mind, but probably unnecessary if all of a console's games were built with stereo 3D being standard.

X Y Z is funny to think about, but the (last) X in Xenoblade X was supposed to be "cross". I can imagine Y having another shape-based meaning, but less sure about Z.
I have only played the Xenoblades and this isn't a shape, but perhaps they could subtitle it Zohar? I've seen that term pop up in Xeno discussions.

Oh, I didn't know about that, but it was still to low for me, even if you go into the details like "it was actually better with the 3D on because the resolution was doubled". To my eyes, it was still looking bad, and added to the very small screen. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing my 3DS very early in its lifespan, the screen was too small and the console itself was just too small while I was becoming an adult. That's why I hope the Switch 2 buttons are even bigger than the Switch 1.

Deep Down, I think we already know the answer to that question.
UIWXBQU.gif

I sometimes randomly think about the moment my Switch 2 and a launch game get delivered at my home.

Having a day off, excited to recieve my package. House is cleaned, chores are done. Hearing the door bell ring. Opening up that box. Setting it up. Hearing a jingle and looking at the main screen. Opening up the game, smelling that fresh game smell. Popping it in. Getting a hot drink and a snack. Press A. Hmmmm, yes.

Does anyone have a 'new console day' ritual?

Last edited:
I sometimes randomly think about the moment my Switch 2 and a launch game get delivered at my home.

Having a day off, excited to recieve my package. House is cleaned, chores are done. Hearing the door bell ring. Opening up that box. Setting it up. Hearing a jingle and looking at the main screen. Opening up the game, smelling that fresh game smell. Popping it in. Getting a hot drink and a snack. Press A. Hmmmm, yes.

usually involves pizza

I don't really remember going through that...but now you're giving me ideas.

May 7th expectations. Yes we have a new console, full reveal coming soon!

Nintendo: We can confirm we will sell more consoles and games than last year. I cannot go into details, please wait until after the next holiday season.

X Y Z is funny to think about, but the (last) X in Xenoblade X was supposed to be "cross". I can imagine Y having another shape-based meaning, but less sure about Z.
Xenoblade Y but the Y is pronounced crossroad to denote the choices you make in the game heavily affect the story like Law/Chaos in SMT

Back
Top Bottom